CAT 2013 (Monday, 28th October 2013 - Day 10) Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, ple…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities. Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her. Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post. Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting. Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people. Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers! πŸ‘

Did anyone get a DI on movies?

Looks like I am the first one to reach to a computer after giving a test ....p

Ok, here goes:
CAT Date Center And Slot: IFIM, Bangalore, 10:00 a.m
Attempts QA:15 😠😠
(Expect none to be wrong since I cross checked all...but will keep room for 1 wrong)
VA:26-27
(Presuming that I keep on my legacy of scoring 60+ in VA as in 1402, Pagalguy Mock, and time advanced tests...let's say 3 or 4 may be wrong....but I am confident of correct being more than 21)
Last Mock Score: 94.89%ile (aimcat 1402 time, score 98) range of percentiles(66-98%ile...Time test series, ... that shows that I get lazy and don't study seriously sometimes lookround)
My Experience of Exam: Yeah QA beat me badly😠....I had not practiced in Venn Diagram much and got two DI sets glaring into my face. Apart from this, I didn't expected CAT to do a typo in DI question . But continuing section 2 delighted me to the level as never before....LRs and RCs looked like pieces of cake. Even VA seemed easy. But let's put a tab on this VA high.....and let's hope my dreams come true...πŸ˜‰
About exam center, people were cooperative and switched off ac when I told them about feeling cold...
The test was glitch free πŸ˜ƒ...i am not sure if a 100+ can get a 99%ile here, given easy VA paper...(God please make me wrong πŸ˜‰)
Rest assured, you will get good score if you cover all topics of Quant (Something whose contrary is advised mostly...)....be chilled on the C-Day πŸ‘

HI Puys,

Just wanted to confirm few things
1)Will solving of current AIMCATS would suffice for this year CAT?
2)Would that be sufficinet by solving CAT papers from 2005-2008 ?
As you guys have the experience today it would be great if you all share some thoughts on this..

Thanks

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

Section 1-22/29 (Because one DI set had typo in one of the questions)

Section 2-23/30

OA-45

2) Your last mock score?

97.33 (AIMCAT1402)

Okayish, was sleep deprived,yet managed to have the flow in QA section.

Prometric testing environment is good.

No P&C; and Probability for me.

Quite easy QA+DI (As compared to the CAT13 phobia)

And yes,last but not the least,that TYPO in one DI question.

Adjust the screen brightness as per your convenience.You can even switch the monitor off while you are waiting for the exam to commence. Am saying this because glaring at the screen continuosly may strain your eyes.

QA was very easy,I must say. Two DIs were easy and one was based on Venn Diagrams,so was tough for me. That non-flying ANT question appeared again.

VA was a cakewalk.

I screwed in LR,i guess.

Attempted only two LRs,left one. And in one of the LRs which I attempted,I am pretty unsure of that.

Am saying this because I expected the question to print GROUP 1 instead of GROUP 2.

So, LR, which was my forte,was not this time pleased with my efforts.

Anyways,overall the Section 1 and VA was okay for me and LR was a tad tougher (Maybe because of my faults).

Was not expecting CAT to have TYPOs and repeated questions.

Hi Puys,

CAT Date Center And Slot: Hyderabad,VAS,RahejaIT park,10:00AM.

Attempts : QA:20-21 VA:20

Last Mock Score: Not given any. But CAT-12 is :93.47%ile, XAT-13 :97%ile.

My Experience: Exam is almost similar to the pervious years standards.

QA: It is moderate to difficult. It consists of questions from almost all the topic.Expected more number of questions from Geometry bust got only 2. There are nearly 8-9 easy questions from cubes,progressions, Permutations etc.

DI: i got 3 sets. one set on normal BAR chart,easy one. 2 nd is a 2 pie charts 3rd is on3-D ven diagram. their levels are moderate to difficult. Yes there is a typo in one PIE chart question. Ven diagram is a confusing one with so many not's.

LR: I can't say a cake walk.Among 3 sets one set is a easy one.remaining 2 are of moderate level.

Fortunately able to attempt all.

VA: I am not the right person to comment on this. I feel even though RCs seem easy, but questions have almost two nearest answer options.Hypothetical questions are also there.

All the best to All PUYS. i believe my score is not enough to clear cut-offs.

Now CAT is done for this year, Next target ----> IIFT .

Here goes my experience :

Morning Slot , Noida

Mock Scores : CAT 2012 : 99.38 ; This time scores were between 90 - 99.9 percentile ; and lowest being 84 , highest being 99.94.

Attempts : QA 20 ; VA : 24

Analysis : QA

As reported earlier , CAT 2013 is slightly difficult than CAT 2012 QA. Sitters in Quant Paper look a thing of past , there are many easy questions , however they too require some application ; moreover they are scattered with difficult options too. One simple question on TSD / Averages each. 4 questions on functions , one of them with very difficult trigonometric ratios etc , 2 years back , I'd have solved two more in functions , today I couldn't. 1 question on series , looks like it was easy but probably people would have left it considering the tedious looking series in question. two questions on quadratic , one of them easy , another difficult in sense the equations were complex , if someone was patient to solve them with simply D >= 0 , answer was in vicinity , I hope I didn't mess this up. 1 question on percentages , which I'd have solved easily on a good day , couldn't solve it again today , probably nerves were getting hold of me , I remembered my CAT 12 / post interview traumas , etc all during CAT 2013 QA exam , all of which would have contributed to my mediocre performance. 2 questions on Coordinate geometry , with one of those questions difficult , I could get the answer , but would appreciate if someone could discuss that question's answer with me . It was related to area of a triangle.

DI had three sets , 9 questions. However , 1 question had a missing data , a ratio was given as :3 , with the numerator not mentioned. I left the question , didn't want to first use options to arrive at question first , this is a blatant error in question paper , I deserve a better service in lieu of Rs 1800 O spent on CAT form 😠 😠 , in US , Prometric would have been sued for this error .
The set on VENN was with three variables , however , with all my experience in solving these , I can say it wasn't easy. It was slightly difficult , due to statements like "like this" / "NOT like this". Negating statements in VENN make your life a hell , i solved this , only to check in one of questions , CAT 2013 was testing my knowledge of LOGIC GATES , with extremely ambiguous options like , either , or , something like this , if someone has solved this VENN , he deserves 9 marks common , don't screw him with such idiotic statements , I hope I didn't mess this question 😠.

A QA Attempt of 20 isn't good , another two questions more (one on percentages / another on functions ) should have been solved. Anything above 65 in QA is a definite 99.5. With an attempt of just 60 marks , I'd be mistakken if I look forward to my last year QA score of 99.76.

VA + LR : This was an easy section , however , my VA isn't good , so I am not the best person to answer / post the analysis. I had expected better LR questions , the sets were easy , however one set had an ambiguous quewstion , with two options possible , I had to extrapolate data "like he sits ahead to be interpreted as sits immediately ahead" to arrive at option , correct answer should have been both options ! A LR set on groups , which almost everyone had today , was slightly difficult , however , if someone went through its third question ,solution was evident.

RCs were simple , with closer options 😠

I found PJs very difficult , really think if someone could have solved them with full certainty .

In the end , not a decent outing for me , ATB guys.

I may not be the right person to comment , however a 100 in this paper should fetch 99.

Regards,
--CricketFreak

CAT Center, Date and Slot: IFIM Bangalore, 28th Oct, 1st Slot

Section 1- 20-21, Section 2 - 25-26

2) Your last mock score? 96.45 AIMCAT 1402, CAT 12 - Section 1 - 96.45 , Section 2- 67.56, OA -89.55

It was good. Prometric people were helpful.

A guy came today to take the exam whose exam was scheduled tomorrow 😁

I don`t think I read the instructions manual sincerely earlier. I was surprised to see that one of the instruction was weapons are not allowed inside the center. 😁

For one of the questions in DI a numeral value was not visible. So couldn`t attempt that question.

:'(

Informed the people at the center. They told me to contact prometric on their toll free number. It seems it was missing for few more.

One more shocker was pyramid related question. I left it at first sight and was not able to give it a try afterwards. I think it was doable.

None. If you have gone through mocks its sufficient

Toughness wise I would say quant was bit on tougher side. Geometry, Mixtures, functions, algebra, progression, coordinate geometery.

Solved 2 DIs based on bar graph and pie chart. (left one question cos of data missing)

1 DI based on Venn diagram (3 variables) was not able to solve even though I wasted about 7-8 mins on that. There was something wrong with my equations I guess.embarrased

VA (easy)

RC was doable (left 2-3). I felt comfortable in RC today may be cos I had practiced many mocks. Best thing was I felt I am a bit familiar with the topic.

LR - 1 v easy. 1 moderate(as it was in the form of RC) and 1 difficult(it was lengthy and one needs to take care of many conditions). After seeing moderate level LR was bit scared that may be i`ll not be able to do it but when I returned back to solve it, I found it easy. Solved all LRs with 100 percent accuracy.

Given my bad history in VA, I didn`t want to leave any space for loosing marks. I had joined TIME test series. It helped a lot. I used to skip RCs most of the times cos I found it boring but this time I made a habit that I will go through each of the RCs even if I don`t mark the answers. It helped a lot. I am not sure about how much percentile I`ll get cos you never know in VA and RC. But yeah gave my best and now hoping for the best. πŸ˜ƒ

All the best to those who are yet to take exams 😁

CAT Center : JNTU,Hyd
Date 28th Oct
Slot: 10 AM

attempts : QA 17 😠 VA 24 😐

experience : QA was li'l tough. Typo in DI. VA was a shade easier. LR caselets were doable. However, accuracy plays an important role.

surprise element : Typo in DI

overall analysis : AIMCATs will surely help.!

Mixed feelings..!!

1) How many attempts you have made? QA/ DI 24 ; VA/LR- 30

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1401 99.6 Testfunda 98

3) How was your experience of the test? It was a smooth check in and helpful prometric staff

4) What was the surprise element for you? Contrary to my expectations QA was on the moderate side with 4-5 tough questions 4-5 easy and rest moderate

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? go through the tutorial

QA- 2-3 questions from Geometry (which helped me heave a sigh of relief!). Questions were from Mensuration, Geometry, Functions, Logs, TSD, Algebra (Also got the familiar Ant question which I guess has been embedded in their system). However i have the feeling that I have over attempted in this section and the negatives are going to take me down 😠

DI- 2 sets (bar chart and pie diagram were easy though one had a typo). Attempted both.. But one on venn diagram was confusing and tricky (tried it for 5-7 minutes but to no avail ) 😠

VA- Was the usual stuff you get in mocks (Parajumbles, out of context, word usage, phrasal verb, sentence correction, Paracompletion), ranged from moderate-tough

RC- 2 were moderate, 1 was slightly tough to read and was challenging

LR- Again 2 sets were easy while 1 on Team formation was tricky as multiple conditions had to be satisfied simultaneously

7) Any other query or something you would like to share- Just keep your calm and things will be good for you.. Don't be stressed after reading reviews of tough QA because you may not get it... All the Best to fellow puys!!

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Blue Tech, Perungudi, chennai, 28th Oct, 1st Slot

Section 1- 20-21, Section 2 - 25-26

2) Your last mock score?

SIMCAT 8 - 94.5

CAT 12 - Section 1 - 98.9 , Section 2- 68.76, OA -93.58

It was good. Prometric people were helpful.

A numerical Value is missing in one question in DI

None. Anyone who had taken MOCKS will be able to handle it.

Toughness wise I would say quant was bit on tougher side.

Solved all questions in DI, left one question as Data is missing

RC was doable .

LR - 1 v easy. 1 easy and 1 moderate(it was lengthy and one needs to take care of many conditions).

NA

All the best to those who are yet to take exams

By when should I reach the CAT center, at the latest, for evening slot..?😁😁 Dont wanna sit idle for one hour staring at the CAT instructions on the monitor..😲😲😲

CAT Center, Date and Slot:jntu, hyderabad

1) How many attempts you have made? qa- 16/29(My least number of attempts so far) va-21

2) Your last mock score? cat2012 - 95.7%ile

3) How was your experience of the test? smooth

4) What was the surprise element for you? typo in the DI set

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Have a good sleep before ur exam

moderate paper where 18 to 20 attempts in QA and 20-22 attempts in VA with 85-90 percent accuracy will fetch u 99+ %ile

I know I screwed up my exam.. cat 2014 it is going to be.. I'l not even check the result 😟
anyone who want to discuss answers can PM me

Did anyone gt an LR on institutes / teachers / order , plz PM if yes , have to ask a doubt

I heard the *some question* question came in today's slot too !! Now CAT people are seriously fond of this question !

€‹

€‹

*Edited- Now i think this shouldnt be a problem as it is not revealing anything

CAT Center - Janakpuri Dblock Delhi, Date and Slot:28/10/13 Slot 10:00am

1) How many attempts you have made? Section 1- 19 Section 2-20

2) Your last mock score? 70%ile aimcat :banghead:

3) How was your experience of the test? It was alright.

4) What was the surprise element for you? 2 sets of venn Diagram in DI

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Follow the tutorial if you dont know to use a mouse.

QA Moderate to Easy

DI 9Q pie charts and 2 Venn Set( 1 easy 1 tough )

VA 21Q 3+3+4 RC moderate to tough for me attempted 3+4

LR 3 sets 2 easy 1 moderate to tough

I start with DI mostly so first thing i did was search for DI Question. I saw 2 Venn Diagram and a Pie chart. Did the mistake of starting with the Pie Chart. wasted like 5 mins to solve the first question, I was getting an answer different from the options . Saw the second question and it had a typo. Retried the first one again and couldnt solve. Buy then the time was already like 59.59 :Banghead: again.

Then just left the pie set and started with QA , could solve 16 of 21 and did 1 set of venn diagram(3 questions) . Other set was tough.

2 of the 3 LR set very quite doable , One i found tough. Couldn't solve it even after investing like 5 mins in it. Skipped one RC tried my luck with FIBs and did the jumbles though a bit unsure.

Question : Was anyone able to do the Pie chart 1 and 3 question ? were they solvable???

Will the whole set be omitted for score calculation or just 2nd question of the pie set ?

Anyone willing to discuss answers of CAT 2013 today's morning slot can pm me.

what %ile can one expect at 30 raw score in VA?

CAT Center, Date and Slot: IFIM, Bangalore, 28th Oct, 3.15PM

Section 1: 18, Section 2: 21

2) Your last mock score?

TF and AIMCATs with scores ranging from 88 to 99.5.

Good. Only negative was the amount of waiting involved. Got bored of looking at anxious faces and was getting restless when thankfully, a couple of beautiful faces appeared and the rest of the time was utilized in admiring them. 😁

4) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

QA and DI:

Quants was moderate to tough. Questions only from functions, numbers, geometry, and Time speed distance and algebra. Tough questions from geometry and algebra. DI was easy but very lengthy, involving a lot of calculations. I avoided attempting them to save time for other questions. Solved about 2 questions from DI, and the rest from Quant.

I usually avoid attempting a lot of questions and play more of an accuracy based game, and today was no different. Expecting at max 1-2 questions wrong from the 18 i attempted, and leaving the rest to normalization.

LR and VA

LRs were tough. 3 sets, of which 2 were difficult and 1 was moderate. Attempted the moderate one and expecting it to be correct. Rest of the 17 questions were from VA. RC(3 in number) was moderate to tough, avoided over attempting for obvious reasons. Para-jumbles were manageable, i think i got all of them correct. Apart from that it was the usual set of questions you normally would encounter in the mocks! Overall, this section was on the tougher side. Expecting and earnestly hoping that my gambles with the attempts and normalization will come to my rescue.

My advice to people: Keep your cool, CAT has definitely gotten tougher than previous years, but can definitely be tamed. Accuracy will matter in this year's CAT. Focus more on your accuracy than the number of attempts, and leave the rest to destiny.