CAT 2013 (Friday, 8th November 2013 - Day 18) Exam Experiences

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, ple…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: d block janakpuri, delhi, 8th nov, morning slot

1) How many attempts you have made? QA- 21 VA- 27 (only sure of 18 i.e. LR and RC rest..only God knows )

2) Your last mock score? 85- 95%ile

3) How was your experience of the test? it was nyc to see ant opening my ppr. QA was moderate...full of functions, algebra. DI was a cakewalk. VA was really tough....RC and LR's extremely easy

4) What was the surprise element for you? such easy DI and LRs. it took me 10-12 min to solve 3 DI sets and max 10 min to solve 3 LR sets....

so this was it....an overall mixed kind of ppr very easy DI, LR. easy RC, moderate QA and really tough VA. done with my ppr...kinda relieved atleast till results...

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Jaipuria Noida, 8th nov, morning slot

1) How many attempts you have made? QA- 18-19 VA- 25 not 100 % sure abt grammar questions

2) Your last mock score? 85- 97% Gave only 5 CL mocks

Quant was easier than expectation... could have done one DI set if i had managed the time well... English Last line and pj were tough.. one tough RC ... found FIB too easy.... Two phrasal verbs

4) What was the surprise element for you?Difficulty level of Quant....

CAT centre, Date and slot: Rithala, Rohini, Delhi, 8th Nov, Morning slot

1) QA : 14-15 ( Did not see 2 DI sets- Paper was tougher than expected. Screwed up on time factor too. Could have attempted 5 more questions + 1 could have been worked out from options. On discussing with friends, looks like different questions in the same slot too)
VA: Was comparatively easier- 26. VA was tough, especially sentence completion.

2) Last mock score- 90 %ile. generally 80-92%

3) The first 4-5 questions were tough, so couldn't attempt a single one. Was pretty down. Picked up quickly, but missed out on easier DI sets 😞 LR was quite easy- took about 8-9 minutes. RC's were okayish. Overall paper tougher than expected, definitely tougher than last year.

4) Suprise element ?? TOUGH PAPER. Screwed up the time factor. Godayum.

1) How many attempts you have made? 24 in Section 1 and 25-26 in Section 2

2) Your mock scores? range from 92-99%ile with few 99+ and few in 80s as well

3) How was your experience of the test? Smooth. Prometrics did a fine job

4) What was the surprise element for you? none

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? keep the monitor switched off till the exam starts, else all you will do is stare at the screen and strain your eyes for no reason.

Section 1: QA(Easy - Moderate): There werent really any sitters , though a few speed breakers evenly spaced. Maintaining the pace is the key.
DI(Easy): All 3 were a piece of cake, and I generally manage to read 2 /3 DI in mocks (Reason being my QA is strong and eats into my DI time) but this time I kept my EGO aside and skipped all speed breakers. As a result had 25 minutes for DIs , did all in 15 mins and have 10 mins spare for 2nd round 😁

Section 2: LR is Easy. got all 9 πŸ˜ƒ
RC (Moderate- Difficult): passage length were comparable to CL RCs, though they were easy to read , I would still stick to my rating as options were very close. I attempted only (6/10) after reading all 3 RCs end to end, just to avoid errors.
VA (Difficult): I feel I may have been too optimistic here in attempting and should have focussed on accuracy. Odd man : 1 was doable other wasn't. PJ options were close. mandatory pair was present in almost all options and so required further thinking.

€‹
PC : 1 was moderate. Other, I dont remember

Grammer: easy to moderate
FIB: doable
Word usage: doable (I may have guessed here )

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Apollo Eng College, Chennai . 10.00 AM 8th Nov.

1) How many attempts you have made? QA-15(80% Accuracy) VA- 28(Sure abt the 9 LR's, 22 should be correct😁)

2) Your last mock score? NA

3) How was your experience of the test? Smooth...

4) What was the surprise element for you? Questions mainly from functions, geometry and algebra.

LR was very easy. Overall VA/LR section was very doable even for person with average preparation.

QA was moderate..Could Have easily attempted a few more if i was not nervous at the beginning.

Just wanted to know what will be my percentile range as this is my 1st attempt and it will help while applying for some colleges.πŸ˜ƒ Thanks.

All the best to the people yet to take their exam.

CAT Center, Date and Slot:Auratech, Mumbai 10.00 AM 8th Nov.

1) How many attempts you have made? QA-11(90% Accuracy) VA- 19(Sure abt the 9 LR's, 70% accuracy in rest)

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT-1402 85%ile

Smooth. (turned traumatic after I messed up with the time factor in first section)

None

None

DI and LR based questions were moderate. Found quant very difficult, but that's my opinion.. Could Have easily attempted a few more had i managed my time well..

Can anyone please predict my percentile?

Thanx and all the best to the people yet to take their exam.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: 8 nov morning slot

1) How many attempts you have made? QA: 16, VA:20

3) How was your experience of the test? Decent very much like AIMCATs...Quant was a bit lengthy Di was very easy...english moderate...one LR caselet was very tough...rest was easy

4) What was the surprise element for you? No question from SDT

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Try to attempt DI caselets in the first 40 minutes...

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. easy to moderate, Quant was lengthy

Accuracy 90% in quant, 100% in LR, 70% in verbal....

Can someone please suggest me which colleges should I apply for now??....

CAT Center, Date and Slot:Indo Global Mohali

1) How many attempts you have made? QA-22(90% Accuracy) VA-25(80% Accuracy)

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1401-98.87%ile generally 94-99%ile

The road leading to the centre was awful....Also found couple of questions in quant to be incorrect.....But overall the DI's & LR's were a cakewalk QA-Moderate-Tough with 3-5 sitters

...RC's were easy to read but with close options....may have over attempted....parajumbles were moderate....out of context,phrasal verbs moderate....

Very few questions of geometry after all the hype & easy LR'S.....

Sleep well before the exams and do not study anything on the last day....also try working out the answer from the options.....baaki aaliswell aaliswell

what to do if some question in the exam is incorrect???Should i mail to prometric....would it help???

Guyzz plzz tell me the expected %ile??

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

CAT Center, Date and Slot
Udaipur, 8th November, 10:00 AM

Section 1:
22 attempts. 19 or above should be correct.
Section 2: 27 attempts. 22 or above should be correct.

2) Your last mock score?
The last mock CAT I took was of PT's. I had scored 117.
In TIME's mock CAT, AIMCAT01, I scored 97.

It was frustrating to sit for an hour not doing anything. Also, I think I've learned the art of holding my pee now. I must write a thank you e-mail to the Prometric guys.
Apart from being treated like I visited a highly secured jail, the experience was excellent. I found it wonderful that they didn't mess up our belongings that we had stored at the counter.

I was surprised at how easy the DI section was! I swear I've never been able to finish even two sets perfectly in any of the AIMCATs! I knew the LR would be easy, but I'd not expected the RCs to be so tough. My most hateful types are those which go as, 'If you had to follow up the author with a question, what would you ask?' I got one of these in an RC. Surprised me!

Try not to look at the time so much! It tends to make one nervous to know. Also, dim the light of the monitor a little. It's too bright by default! Oh, and move the keyboard to a corner, stand it up if you can, to make space.

Quantitative Analysis: Moderately tough. No Permutations and Combinations, no Probability, no Time and Distance, no Time and Work. Too much of Progressions! 2 advance-level questions from Co-ordinate Geometry. Rest all was normal.

Data Interpretation: Very easy. Two sets of bar graphs. And I'm sorry but I don't remember the third set! I've never found DI so easy, apart from PT's e-prac-CATs.

Verbal Ability: Moderate. The Reading Comprehensions were of Supreme level. One of the toughest kind of questions has already been mentioned in the 4th point above. I'd gotten two questions of Out-Of-Context types, 3 of Para-Jumble, 2 Fill-in-the-blanks, 2 Complete-the-passage and more.

Logical Reasoning: Very easy. One set was for Circular Arrangement. One for Division in groups. And the third was a Blood Relations.

Keep it cool, guys. Don't try to attempt too many. I'm already regretting my excessive attempts in Section II. Oh, and try to use the Mark feature to the best. It's useful.

In Section I, I recommend making one round and marking up the questions you think you can solve with extra time and leaving those you can never solve. Then when ten-fifteen minutes are left and you reach the last question, go for the marked ones. Oh, and if you find a question too challenging or when it starts getting depressing, randomly skip to a question.

In Section II, I recommend making a round and attempting whatever you can. Mark those which you think you have done wrong. In second round, try the incomplete and re-check the marked ones again. In this section, it is imperative to make sure you are not making mistakes!

If you need to talk to me, or are apprehensive, scared or plainly confused, please don't be hesitant at all. I know that feel. Just talk to me! πŸ˜ƒ

Dhanalakshmi College, Chennai , 08-11-13, D

1) How many attempts you have made? Quant - 20 ( don't remember exactly, 3 guesses ), Verbal - 25 ( expecting all correct )

2) Your last mock score? - Didn't give one seriously. So, doesn't matter. 1st CAT.

Quant was bad. I could have prepared well, considering the fact that Algebra and Functions, were the majority. Questions were from a wide range of topics. Speed-Distance-Time, couple of Geometry/Numbers Q's and one each from VennDiagram and Arithmetic.

Verbal was the opposite. If not, for a 4/5 doubtful ones, I would attempted 30/30. Easy RC's and other Verbal Q's.

DI would have been a cakewalk, again if I had practised more. Attempted 7/9.

LR was definitely a cakewalk, You don't need to prepare for those kind of Q's.

4) What was the surprise element for you? Nothing actually. It was how I expected it to be. Verbal, definitely easy.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Attend the TF mock to get to know the UI. Tutorial is more than enough anyway.

Functions/Algebra dominated. People writing the next 3 days, do give more importance to that. And yeah, practice basic DI Q's ( %, % change in % )

How will scoring more in Verbal and less in Quant, affect my percentile and my calls ??

Thanks Pagalguy. Hope I get one good call :)

i just appeared for today's CAT. let me know honestly where i stand so i could go look for other options.

QA/DI: 6 out of 30 attempted with 100% accuracy.
VA/LR: 19 out of 30 attempted with 99% accuracy. let me know if i stand the slightest chance in any of the IIMs, FMS or MDI...

qa- 13 attempted..sure in 10/11
va- 24 attempted ...confirm in 19/20...
raw score is 81-87..may be 90
i'm a nc-obc candidate..
any chances for iims..😐

Kolkata EIILM 2nd slot

QA-18- correct 14 VA-27(80-85)% accuracy

2) Your last mock score?

SIMCAT10-95.74

Bizarre quant

Generally alwez scored much better in quant .. - too much progression and algebra oriented. In fact there was no P n C geometry difficult DI- 1 set was really diabolic to say the least. Verbal very lengthy. confused One LR to be RC; so complex it was.. left it within 40 secs..and one was really sitter!

Quant and as usual the normalization process . cant get how can such a bizarre quant section be compared with with other slots

tutorial is good enough

tough. disgustingly dominated by one or two sections.

try to focus on accuracy especially in QA..

what is your idea about quant?

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Kolkata EILM 2nd slot

QA/DI : 20 Correct : 15

VA/LR : 27 Correct : Prometric knows
2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT 02 : 96.68

SIMCAT 10 : 97.5

This was my 4th attempt and the most bizzare one. Probably because this was the only time I had prepared well. Quant was totally blown. Started with 7-8 very easy ones and then jus wasn't able to solve. Verbal made it up for it though. Was fairly easy.

The quant section. Of course. The questions were too lengthy and enticing to attempt.

Never to get stressed and treat every question individually. Don't try to attempt a question jus because you haven't been able to solve previous 5 qns

Only hope is normalization in quants. Was jus too tough. Even any mock has never been so tough.

Verbal was easy. Passages were easy to comprehend and even questions weren't very tough. Verbal ability was a sitter too. Interestingly, one of the LR i had already attempted. Even the numbers were same. In some AIMCAT. And was disheartening to see questions about which people were already talking earlier. Really poor examination standard by Prometric. Thisis not the way or standard to evaluate the premier management students in the country. Very disappointing.

Can't ask any questions when there is no one to tell how will it be normalized against days where people have attemted 25+ question and we found 20 was untouchable. Hope for the best.

And cheer up others. This was definetly one of the toughest quants. So chances are very less that you might come across something similar. All the best. Cheers !

This is for People in second slot :

Please vote how much you are expecting in section-1 (follow +3/-1 format)

This will allow us to evaluate our performances.

Lets have some transparency among ourselves πŸ˜ƒ

You can add you verbal scores in comments as an added info.

CAT Center: Kindle Institute of Technology,Jaipur
Date and Slot: 8Nov,13 2nd slot

QA: 18+ (all correct) VA:29 (25+ correct) ,total:(47+ with 42+ correct)

2) Your last mock score?
CAT '12: OA: 99.44% (QA: 23 (21R 2W)...VA: 30 (21R 9W)) [might be helpful for rough % prediction]

Bad, very uncomfortable sitting and had ants all over my PC throughout my test(any distraction is bad) ,good thing they didn't bite me and i was able to keep my cool. Could attempt 6Q less compared to CAT'12, messed up quant. as I had very less space in front of my PC to keep rough booklet..and ANTS!!

Was wondering about ants and they were there in Q1.. πŸ‘Ό

Learn to move on and never get stuck on any question..

QA was medium level, could have solved more. DI & LR was easy. VA medium.

Hopefully the quest for a good college ends this yr. and ek General Male Engineer hone ka iss baar paap na lage...rolleyes

Not really in good enough mood to follow the format. I have always been weak in Quant and today's paper captioned it brilliantly. I am only good at TSD, W&T;, Ratio and other lame topics that, in hindsight, seem to be of NO use. DI rubbed salt over my wounds. Couldn't been able to solve even that easy sets question. Attempted just 10 in Quant. And nobody has given me the answer key so don't know how many of them are correct. Attempted all 30 in Verbal just to compensate for Quant but even if I get a 100%ile in Verbal I would not be able to cross even 90%ile. Salo CAT walon, phle btana tha na ki tum sab sale algebra ke questions hi nhi dete ho. PT Prac cats were full of Algebra questions so I thought preparing for algebra would be good option. HELLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! XAT, tu saath nibhana...😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

2nd slot
qa 14 attempt may be 10/11 correct
valr 20 attempt may be 15 correcrt
how much %ile to expect??