CAT 2013 (Friday, 25th October 2013 - Day 8) Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, ple…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities. Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her. Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post. Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting. Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people. Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers!

CAT Center, Date and Slot: St Francis; Mumbai

QA/DI- 18 (90% accurecy)

VA/LR- 14 (no clue)

2) Your last mock score?

70s in aimcats (occasional 90)

not any

good

All RC were boring and most questions were inferential in nature

hitbullseye ke mocks (just for the interface)

Section 1-

QA- Easy-medium

DI- 2DI sets one caselet
Calculation intensive but of easy-medium difficulty

I always had a better hold on the second section in the aimcats

After the first section, I felt that chalo quant acha ho gaya toh VA/LR to apni hi hai

But it was a mistake. I found LR lengthy and RC questions far too indirect

A word of advice to future test takers-

Agar QA easy lage toh brace yourself for the second section mg

CAT Center, Date and Slot:ITS INSTITUTE IF MANAGEMENT, GREATER NOIDA

1) How many attempts you have made?.....:-😠Not more than 15(maths+di),26-27in section 2

2) Your last mock score?....NA

3) How was your experience of the test?:- NICE...REACHED AT 8:30😁😁 ....BUT FOUND ASLEEP AT 9:30embarrasedembarrased...

4) What was the surprise element for you?:-ACTUALLY WHOLE QUANT SECTION WAS ......GEOMETRY COORDINATE GEOMETRY....FUNCTIONS...WERE VERY VERY TOUGH

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?..rolleyesrolleyes

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.... OK FIRST OF ALL MY STRATEGY WAS TO SPOT SITTERS....WHICH WERE ONLY 2😠😠...ACTUALLY MY FAVORITE CHAPTER IN MATHS ARE GEOMETRY AND ALGEBRA😁...BUT MAN DON'T ATTEMPT THEM...CUZ THEY LOOKED AS IF I CAN SOLVE IN 3 MIN......BUT WAS STRUK FOR 7 MIN......I WASTED MY TIME IN SOLVING THEM..(KAB SE TRY KAR RA HUN ARREY AB TO NIKALJA😠)...

COORDINATE GEOMETRY:-THEY ASKED ME QUESTION FROM EQUATION ON CIRCLES....2 QUESTION ON NUMBER SYSTEM.(.DOABLE.)....BHAI ABHI YAAD NI AAREY QUESTN KAHAN SE AYE TH.....THEY WERE ALIEN TO MEsplat......ENGLISH WAS FINE...1 RC WAS TOUGH....PJ-EASY .2 QUES....SENTENCE CORRECTION-MODERATE-2QUES.....LR WAS MODERATE

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.:-ALL THE BEST👍👍....PHOD DENA PAPER👏👏....HUMSE TO NA HO PAYAsplatsplat....

guys who are feeling the heat and the ones who are worried regarding all the hype about the toughness of the paper,just remember the times when cat was paper pen based and 8 or 10 questions in quants were enuf to clear the quant cutoff n get the confidence back again😁

Attempted 16 in the first section, 25 in the second... damn.... What are the chances ????? any estimation of percentile ??

Aditya Management Institute, Mumbai 25th Oct - Morning Slot

1) How many attempts you have made? 15+21

2) Your last mock score? 97...Range is 85-98

Morning slot..Tote udd gaye in section 1 is an understatement - DI was moderate-difficult but quants was 😲... lots of geometry and trigo questions...no sitters at all..only 4-5 questions could be termed less difficult instead of easy..Could hardly manage solving 15 correct..But I am sure of them and also sure its good attempt in such a tough section... Since Section 1 was so tough, i expected section2 to be scoring..Being comparatively weaker in core verbal..I tried Solving LR 1st...Tried solving 2 LR Sets...1st 30 mins and 0 attempts.2 LR sets were nightmare 😠..3rd one was moderate..solved that..no odd sentence out..pjs/errors/para completion were easy but va mein accuracy ka koi guarantee nahi..rcs were moderate and doable..I missed 1 RC due to time wasted in LR...Attempts 21..hoping 14+ will be correct...uff CAT Over..ab sochte raho kya hoga..

Slot: Bangalore.

Attempts: 12 + 23. At least 10 are correct in sec 1 and not sure about section 2.

Quants in sec 1 was tough. 2 out of 3 sets of DI were easy and the 3rd one was moderate. Quant problems look easy when you begin but they take quite a bit of time. 2 sitters. Most of the questions were from Geometry and functions. About 9-10. Rest were from Algebra, Co-Ordinate geometry, progressions, etc. No Venn diagrams. Questions can be solved but they are time consuming.

Coming to the second section LR was easy, RC lengthy but easy questions. They section 2 was of moderate difficulty.

CAT Center: Bhagwan Mahavir, Surat, Date: 25 Oct.,2013 and Slot: Morning

Quant/DI: 15 Verbal/LR: 20-21

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT1401: 90%

Good

No P&C;, No Probability, No time, speed & distance

None

Quant/DI: Quant was very tough...very few sitters...out of 3 DI sets, one was easy, one moderate & one Difficult...Geometry: 3-4 ques not at all easy...AN attempt of 15 or more with gud accuracy would be considered as respectable...

Verbal/LR: This section was moderate as compared to section-1....Out of 3 LR, one was easy, one moderate and one difficult....RCs were very long...rest all was manageable...20+ attempts to bante hai..

Overall a difficult paper because of Quant and somewhat LR/RC

None

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Era Business School New Delhi, 25th Oct Morning

1) How many attempts you have made? 25+28=53

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1401 94/180; CL Unproc-20 126/180

3) How was your experience of the test? The test went smoothly. No glitches whatsoever

4) What was the surprise element for you? The paper was very tough and tricky, especially QA. NO sitters anywhere in the section.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Use of highlighter effectively in RCs

QA= Very Tough (I'm not sure of my accuracy, maybe somewhere around 70%)

DI= 1 Easy Pie-Chart, 1 Moderate Graph, 3rd Caselet (I'm not sure if I even interpreted the 3rd DI properly)

VA= Moderate Grammar; Tough RCs

LR= Moderate

Overall Paper = Tough

7) Any other query or something you would like to share. My QA paper was as difficult as the toughest mock that I have ever attempted. Don't get misled with my attempts.

MC Saxena Lucknow 25th October Morning

1) 25 in Quant (2 wrong, right i don know), 5 question did not bother to read. good tricky question had taken my brain out. DI easy hope to hit all in target. in quant mostly got answers of all questions so 20 around be correct
2) attempted 27, left on sentnce correction, 2 inference question. LR was easy and cracked all 3 sets and seemed correct too so 12 will be all correct. PJ was having 3 questions hope to correct them too.
Verbal was confusing in two options and passages were lengthy and time consuming so cant comment. over all 20 will be ok
3) last AIMCAT 1401, 136 99.8 percentile

PUYS STOP DISCLOSING QUESTIONS. THIS YEAR's CAT PAPER WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE SCORE YOU HAVE OBTAINED AND LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY OF YOUR PAPER AS COMPARED TO OTHERS(i.e. If you have done a difficult question right and if others as well have done the same , then you won't get much score, the question will go into easy question)

QA-17-18 hopeless qaembarrased VA 25 (43)

2) Your last mock score?

Very Bad.... 😠😠

Though it was not actually a surprise as I got to know from PG QA is Geometry dominating😲

no

Sec1- As I mentioned Geo and not the easier ones you must not have soleved in TIME AIMCAts and CL.... No TSD, NO Eqns Ratio, No Percentage, for my surprise no Numbers also hardly 1 qn...

1 P&C; 1 Functions 2 to 3 Quadratic 😠😠

Easy DI though I cud not solve... 1 VE, 1 Medium tough, 1 venn diagram

Sec2- 3 Easy LR Sets 3 RC's Medium Difficulty 2 PJ 2 PC 1 2 FIB, 2 GR, 1 Usage...mostly familier....

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.🍻

I dont know whether I shud expect any calls...I m feeling Devastated... I guess this Year they want to test ppl only on Geometry... Puys Wat percentile can I expect (NO FLUKES IN QA) If I have 85 to 90 % accuracy... lookround

1) How many attempts you have made?10-QA/28-VA

2) Your last mock score? VARIED FROM 70 TO 90

3) How was your experience of the test?Horrible...as per the post by exam takers from previous days,I might say this evening's slot could be the toughest..lengthy calculations,misprinted/ambiguous questions(I got three), and crazy usage of concepts...I dont know what algorithm did prometric and IIM L used.It was not at all 70 minutes exam...really pissed!!!!

4) What was the surprise element for you?VA----surprisingly, On a easier side..!!!!

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?Babaji ka thullu to handle such exam...no tips!

morning slot- toughest felt as if giving 1998-iit jee paper. not much to say except the fact that there is now truely a test of normalization process, if at all it takes place. my journey ends here though. i attempted around 30 Qs.

25 october lives upto its horrible past again ‚Ź €š.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Auratech Mumbai. 3.15 Slot

QA- 23 (sureshot 7 wrong...the worst QA section..No easy DI (logic based DI with sets data sufficiency types with tricky questions & conditions...interesting thing is no one at my center i interacted with had got those sets..neither have ppl from other city..I am yet to find someone who was as unlucky as me today 😠😠, incorrectly solved 2 sets), No easy quant, the paper was full with geometry, functions, Quant made me sweat and I lost the entire game there)

VA- 30 (at most 2 incorrect)

2) Your last mock score?

CL: Proc 10: 99.86

IMS: SIM 10: 98.4

Very Bad, The weather in Mumbai is hot and so was the paper

DI : Solved one set correctly (I feel)..Rest all 6 questions wrong in other DI sets

QA : Geometry with no figures but only text..(they did not give values for most cases and the options were in variables), the paper should have been named Quant from Venus and DI from Mars)

Reasoning : Was very difficult. I was not able to solve them at first go but later did it on second attempt. Felt very satisfying later.

VA & RC : RC was very lengthy. Para Completion was Ok. One of the para completion was from CL mock. p Surprising!

The paper covered 2-3 areas of quant and my bad luck I am weak in those areas only.

If you get paper like mine then all my sympathies will be for you.

The paper was end of my IIM Dream. I wont appear for CAT again. I know there is a thing called normalization which will help me if my paper was actually difficult but as I have seen it in last 2 years...normalization doesn't give a damn about it neither it will this year. I wrote my end today.

CAT has become tough. Quant is more like an Engineering Exam Test. Verbal is much lengthier than previous years. I dnt think the mocks prepared by any of the classes have been closer to CAT this year ...(atleast mine)..its not fault of the classes though...my paper was very absured as you cannot have 20+ questions from 3-4 areas ...my efforts of past 6 months went in vainembarrased

My personal Experience...Done with CAt ....will never attempt again.Sorry for not writing in the format..QA...they are expecting MSC MAths graduate to write.....felt like throwing the system...functions functions functions..hell with that..

read this blog about the normalization, t get you some cheer

Did anyone get any ambiguous or incomplete questions today???I got 3 of them in even slots!

CAT Center, Date and Slot: - Coimbatore, 3:15 PM SLOT

1) How many attempts you have made? 17/18 in QA(3 or 4 with calculated risks) and 23 in VA(3-4 with some logic :P)

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT - 45 %ile and CL PROC MOCK - 94.3 %ile (Strangely i get around 90 %iles in PROC MOCK and mostly around 70-85 in AIMCAT)

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here. - No

3) How was your experience of the test? - Smooth...

4) What was the surprise element for you? QA is very much deceiving. Questions are short but they actually pull you through and by the time you realize it's too late.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Keep yourself calm even if you get a difficult question paper and in periods of uncertainty take the side of accuracy and not attempts

QA was lengthy and they have started to get repeated.

Geometry - 3/4 - 1 easy 1 moderate 2 difficult

Co-ord Geo - 2/3 - moderate and difficult

Trigonometry - 1/2 - difficult

Functions 2/3 - highly difficult and time consuming

SI - 1 difficult - with too many variables in options

Number systems - 3/4 - 1 moderate 2/3 difficult

Alligations - 1 - easy/medium

DI - 2 easy and 1 difficult (3+3+3)

LR - 2 easy and 1 difficult (3+3+3)

RC - 2 (3+3) and 1 (4). moderate in length but 2 options always seem to be the right option

PJ - 2 - 1 - Moderate difficulty, 1 - highly difficult

PC - 2/3 - Difficult

FIB - 2 - Moderate

Word usage - 1

SC - 2 (I haven't attempted even once in any of my mocks)

One tip would be have an open mind and don't be distracted/tempted to know others' questions simply because you could use that time effectively to study 😃 All the best

This year CAT may have avoided technical glitches, but definitely has failed in its true objective/ purpose very much. Too many questions oriented towards Geometry and Algebra. Wish to ask the question paper setters If they were in love with Geo or Algebra or like screwing our lives. Hands down to CAT this year.