CAT 2013 (Friday, 1st November 2013 - Day 14) Exam Experiences

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, ple…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquirypagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities. Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her. Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post. Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting. Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people. Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers! 🍻

CAT Center: Taxila Business School, Jaipur
Date and Slot: Nov 1, Morning slot

QA/DI: 15 😠 😠 VA/LR: 23 😐

2) Your last mock score?
Byju Mock 15: QA/DI: 74 %ile, VA/LR: 97 %ile, OA: 92 %ile

Smooth. No glitches.

Quant (shocker). It was as if only 2 topics exist in quant: Algebra (3 related to greatest integer function 😲 ) and Numbers. DI was tough. Overall, QA/DI section is totally screwed and CAT 2013 is over for me.

Identify sitters (if any 😠). And an identity proof which clearly shows your photo. 😍

QA/DI - Very tough. 😠
VA/LR - Moderate. rolleyes

There is a lot I would like to share. 😠

Dear IIMS,
CAT is so so UNFAIR, and it is becoming even more so with each passing year. Now I am thinking what if I had taken some other slot? What if I had got some more geometry questions in other slot for which I praticed so much? This stupid **** of normalisation is complete non-sense. I am not saying this because my QA performance was not that good, but because you are judging candidates in an unfair manner. Last year my score was more in quant and less in verbal; this time equations will reverse, and overall percentile will remain same. I do not understand that WHAT IS THE NEED OF THIS ONLINE EXAM CRAP? Anyways, you will never listen (may be I should have practiced a lot of greatest integer and algebra question).

P.S: If other exams also go the same way, then see you next year. Else, **** you.

Regards,
A general category male, IT engineer and an IIM aspirant. πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

Prometric - Iris Tech Park, Gurgaon
Slot - 1, 1 Nov 2013
1) Attempts: 17-18 QA/DI, 25-26 VA/LR
2) Last Mock Score - AIMTCAT 1402 95.xx percentile
3) Test experience - No issues
4) Surprise Element - High difficulty questions from functions in QA.
5) Any tips - Don't stop, keep moving. Learn to leave questions.
6) Overall analysis - I found the QA/DI section to be tough.
7) Queries - What is your opinion about the toughness of today's QA/DI section?

CAT Center: TIT, Bhopal
Date and Slot: Nov 1, Morning slot

QA/DI: 24 (1 or 2 incorrect)

VA/LR: 19 (2 or 3 incorrect)😠😠 [Bye bye IIMs. Hello, XLRI!]

2) Your last mock score? AIMCAT 1401: AIR 86

Smooth. No glitches.

VALR: One RC was easy, the other two were insane: long, high-level philosophy with inferential questions and close options.
QADI: Reminded me of IITJEE.

If you've given some proctored mock, this won't seem much different.

QADI: Few sitters. Mostly moderate. ~5 Tough. 3 DIs, one easy, one moderate, one tough.
No venn diagram / set theory. A balanced paper with questions covering most of the topics.

VALR: RCs were insane. LRs were moderate in difficulty. VA was easy. I focussed on accuracy in both sections and not attempts.

The key is to remain calm and focussed. Just go and give your best shot. Leave the rest on fate (normalisation) and focus on the rest of exams once CAT is over.

ATB. πŸ‘

CAT Center, Date and Slot:Vijayawada, Nov 1, Morning Slot

1) How many attempts you have made?QA/DI: 22 VA/LR:25

2) Your last mock score?NA

3) How was your experience of the test?Smooth, No glitches

4) What was the surprise element for you?QA/DI was pretty tough and ironically there was only 1 q from geometry and about 5 from coordinate geometry.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?Make sure you are not tripped off if you find one section tough.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. : QA/DI was definitely on the tougher side. I found VA/LR compariteively easier even though LR was lengthy ( forced me to skip one RC)

CAT Center, Date and Slot: A.P.Shah Institute of Technology, Thane

Slot 1, 1st Nov 2013

1) How many attempts you have made? – 23-24 QA/DI, 26 VA/LR

2) Your last mock score? – 98.XX percentile – AIMCAT 1401

3) How was your experience of the test? – The hospitality of the Prometric staff was unexpectedly welcoming atleast in my center in my slot.

4) What was the surprise element for you? – No surprises (Everybody knows that the new name of QA has to be termed as Geometry and algebra – 10-11/21 questions..great)

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Prefer not to comment on this

Barring the fact that QA part was horribly loaded with Geo / Functions (Don't know if I can blame the CAT guys for this because being a CA, I have not studied these things in the last 6-7 years), the rest of the paper was a cakewalk (quite literally – 18 from DI & LR – if any of them goes wrong I'd jump off a cliff, considering the fact that I'm quite good at number crunching & these are the two areas which have been the reason for the decent scores in AIMCAT's)..

7) Any other query or something you would like to share – Watching EPL for these many years has finally helped (Games & Tournaments question without any insufficient data)..points awarded are the same too..

P.S. - For those of complaining that CAT was difficult..it was always meant to be so..its just that you haven't studied the topics from which the questions came from..

1) How many attempts you have made? Not sure but overall is 40 + . Accuracy might not be my strong area , Also 1 questions on VA was wrong so ,, 39 geniune attempts

2) Your last mock score?

varied from 80- 95 percentile

I was down with high fever since yesterday (out of all the days I could be sick , Destiny would make the slope a bit more steeper and slippery for me .. Thanks !!). Could not get much sleep in night and got up at 6 , loaded myself with some medication and mismatching socks , off I was , took one hour to reach my centre. My center was SMG group ,if any one has that center I will suggest keeping some buffer time to find the center. Over all we had to wait one hour inside before the exam could start. The waiting time can be quite draining. Regarding the actual exam after reading so many of PG threads I found the exam quite easy with generous amount of sitters in QA. I had decided to attend questions from end to start 30 to 1 , this clearly back-fired as most of the sitters and easy questions were in the starting. I think the QA at best was moderate difficulty and I think even after giving so many mocks I panicked for the first ten minutes due to this made a couple of bad choices which costed me 10 minutes. bhai logo I know this advice is repeated a million times but again please read slowly to yourself "I will be prepared to leave questions". There are some questions which will seduce and be inviting but boss touch them not and even if you do run back soon , I got stuck in one of such questions which seemed easy on fundas of SI/CI , Product consistency and percentage . In retrospect I think it was a bad pick , I could not have solved that correctly in 10 mins. So i wasted 5 mins here and still could not get the answer. I consider algebra my strength but couple of questions were ridiculously tough , So now overall my exam was on a down slope , but things turned around I got 4 Q in geometry could only attempt 2 (1 out of them was L1 and every one would have done it ) out of 4 , 3 Q's were from CL ka question bank. I got 5 question from set theory after reading PG i had extensively prepared on set theory (no 4 sets only 3 set) .. out of 5 questions on set , 3 I guess could be classified as DI and 2 were stand alone . Dont rem the exact attempts but I think 20+ in QA.

VA-LR , again this section I found it from easy to moderate . But I mis-managed my time here !! in last 5 mins 6 Q's were left .. 3 of RC 3 and 3 of logical , so had to pick one .Started with RC for 20 secs and instead decided to go for Logical , but could only attempt 2. overall I found english to be very easy except one RC in which I attempted 2/3 . Logical all 9 should have been attempted . Mine was 7/9. Disappointed with my performance in VA could have been better but I guess it was not my day . VA had been my strong section but screwed it big time , I was hoping to jump into 98+ with VA but man it's a tough shot now.

Last year I had scored 99.8 - VA and 75 - QA , I think this year to khel hain it will reverse while overall will come down.

If there is any CL student who has rigorously gone through there question banks , dont be surprised if you find 3-5 questions from there. In fact there was ONE RC in another SLOT was from the CL bank. There are 2 Q's I got from CL bank in VA but if I disclose the topic I think they would be easy pickings , enough said.

Algebra was very difficult. No question on Number for me .

I felt QA 20 could be attempted if one has done good preparation but again , 4-6 questions were un-solvable in given time.

I am not gonna crib about this but just the way CAT conducts the exam treating students like sheeps and not considering their issues/problems while chalking out plans. I mean waiting for one hour in the center before the exam is utter crap and does not make sense at all . The way things are carried out makes me wonder if only the low / less performing faculty is asked to look over the admission part as in some kind of punishment . Many students had complained of in-correct question luckily I didn't have any but I am just surprised by the arrogant behavior of how IIM's never take any corrective action for people who suffer and at end of day it's mere statistics for them .

Also what do they plan to do about repeated Q's clearly many Q's are beign repeated which are being leaked openly by students ,, so this is an clear advantage to few , something needs to be done !!

Sorry for the long post , Final advice for people who are having there exams in the coming days : STOP READING PG EXPERIENCE thread really !! go with an open mind and be ready to leave some Q's .. Definitely some Q's are JEE level and even if you are some one who has the aptitude, they are not to be solved in 3 mins time, this is my personal take there might obviously be exceptions to this !!
And final advice is do not fall SICK before the exam I was unlucky after one year of hard work to come down with fever right on the D-day , I am not gonna put my performance on my health but I think it does affect you I was not as sharp as I would have wanted to be , end of the day what stays with me is 7/9 My LR score it should have been 9/9 ,,, blllaaaaahhhh ...

Get the live analysis of Day 14th CAT 2014, click now

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Noida, Nov 1, Morning Slot

QA/DI: 20 😠😠

VA/LR:25

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT 1401: 97.xx

Smooth. Kudos to Prometric.

QADI : Definitely reminded me of JEE days! Some unrealistically lengthy problems. 😠

VALR : no surprise in VA - well balanced paper.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? None

QADI : QA was tougher than I had expected. VALR was comparatively easier.

4 from sets, 4/5 from functions. 1 question each from coordinate and geometry. A couple of sitters.

Each question on sets could not have been solved even in 5 mins! This section seemed biased towards a few selected topics - algebra, sets, functions. no TSD, no numbers, no P&C;, no probability, no venn...

VALR : all LR were easy. one LR lengthy. not tricky, straightforward. RC - 1 easy, 1 moderate, 1 tough. had tone of the passage questions.

CAT has become very unpredictable this year. the expereinces on PG tell me that most of the papers have been biased towards some or the other quant topic. i don;t have much faith in their normalization process either, so am really skeptic as to how will they ensure fairness across slots / papers, given that they introduce questions only from 1 or 2 topics. 😟

I think what went against me was my inclination to solve those sets wala questions.

The key is to leave the difficult question and keep moving. Don;t waste time on difficult questions in the beginning. You can always come back to those if time permits. ATB πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ

To the guys who were butchered with me in today's paper - CAT is done for now~! have an awesome weekend and wishing everyone a happy and safe diwali! 😁 πŸ˜ƒ

QA/DI: 15 VA/LR: 23

2) Your last mock score?

NA

Smooth. No glitches.

QA was tough and lengthy/tricky, in decent amount. Half of the problem were from 3-4 topics. DI was moderate tough to moderate. The functions given were 1 notch higher in difficulty and resembled (AITS by FIITJEE). You need to have a real brainstorming session which will be of good 5 minutes, to take one of such questions.

VA was a generic paper, with 2 RC being really tough to comprehend and even after reading it the questions will amuse you with closest answer possible. Rest of the paper for VA was balanced and was of moderate difficulty.

LR was more time taking than the VA. 1 case-let was easy, 1 was moderate tough and 1 was tough in-terms of lot of data, condition and deductions.

Glance over all the question once, and give a fair judgement while attempting question, according to the difficulty of paper. And remember higher attempts doesn't always mean higher marks or better percentile.

QA/DI - difficult, certainly questions were not from all of the topics - Decent, leaving the sitters. It ill require good grasp and continual effort from your side.

VA/LR - generic difficulty, good and balanced paper.

Choosing from range of students can be difficult with the first part of CAT admission test and of-course with conventional percentile cut-offs. Going by the experience one can assume that the paper can be drastically different to different people or in different slots.

Lets hope for a great admission process ahead.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Bangalore slot 1

QA/DI: 18-21😠😠

VA/LR:22-25

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT 1404: 91.xx

Error in one question two options were the same !!! Any one else had such issue ?? What happens when such errors are there ? Do they give grace marks ?

QADI : Moderate to tough 3-4 geometry functions NO TSD 1 numbers not balanced

2 moderate DI one Long time consuming DI .

LR 1 easy 2 tough

RC 1 very tough 1 moderate 1 easy

Rest avg level

with a RAW SCORE OF 80-90 WHAT PERCENTILE CAN ONE EXPECT ?😠😠

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Blue Lotus Technologies, Chennai, 01st Nov 10.00AM Slot

Took a huge gamble by compromising speed for accuracy. The last time I made such a compromise I scored 100% in 10th CBSE Math Board Exam. But I'm not sure where it will land me this time.😐😐

QA/DI - 19(100% accuracy) VA/LR - 17(Got the 9LRs right)

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT1402 - 98%ile

The test center was good. As expected I had to wait for more than an hour for the test to begin. Overall a smooth experience.

The QA/DI was much more difficult than I expected, much more difficult than the AIMCATS. The infamous ant question did make an appearance.

Make sure your seat is comfortable. Check whether the mouse is working properly. You can turn off the monitor while waiting for the test to begin if it helps.

QA/DI:The era of geometry domination is over in this year's CAT, got just one question form this topic. There was difficult questions from co-geometry and logarithms. 2 moderate to difficult questions from PnC. Not to mention 1 DI set was out of this world but the other 2 were easy. 3 questions from algebra and 2 form functions. I forgot the rest prolleyes

VA/LR: 2LRs were easy and 1 was time consuming(Games and Tournament) yet solvable. 1 easy RC, 1 moderate RC with close option choices and 1 very difficult RC with 4 questions. A good preparation for RC is necessary for solving the difficult one. 2 para jumbles, 2 para completion , 2 grammar and 2 inappropriate usage.

P.S. Please don't ping me or text me for any questions, I abide by the NDA.

CAT Centre, Date & Slot: IILM, Janakpuri, Delhi, 01st Nov, 10.00 AM Slot,
1. Attempts: QA/DI: 13 (2 wrong), VA:23 (90% accuracy)
2. Experience: Doable QA. Strategy mattered. Sitters mixed with lengthy Questions.. in a way.. u dun trust them as sitters.
Geometry 3-4, Func 1-2, PnC-1, Log-1, TSD-1, algebra-3-4, etc.
DI-2 very easy, 1 screwing.
VA was Cake walk.. 2 RC dun even read the para.. 3rd was royally topugh. 2 LR vry easy.. 1 tough.

Plz dun go by our comments.. go with a Clean mindset.. Questions r varying.. So jus go do it.

Can anyone predict my percentile 😠😠 with his/her experience. Seems time to go back to office and re-establish my good terms with Boss!!

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Idreamz, Bangalore, 01stNov, 3:15 pm slot

1) How many attempts you have made? Sec 1: 18, Sec 2: 24

2) Your last mock score? 92.5 (CL Unproc 12)

3) How was your experience of the test? aukaad QA πŸ‘,hardly any babaji ka thullu types Q's, 2 easy DI's, easy LR(all 3), and average RC's n VA.

4) What was the surprise element for you? None as of such

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Don't peep into your neighbor's system :P

6) Your overall analysis of the exam: Had given close to 25 mocks this season, but nothing comes close to the Actual CAT. Beautifully framed Quant Q's. Fan ho gya paper setter ka..!!πŸ‘

Tips: Be selective about the Q's you attempt. Doing it in 2(or more) rounds would be preferable, especially Sec 1.

Time to head back to the frustating job waali zindagi..!! 😠

Hi Puys ,

Had my cat today, there were 2 mistakes in the paper(one in QA and another in DI). I informed the team present there. But I feel if I drop a mail to the prometric team personally, it would be better.
Can any one please help me out with the email id?
Thanks a ton in advance.!!!

CAT Center, Date and Slot :nagpur 1 nov slot 1

1) How many attempts you have made?QA/DI 13 (90% accuracy) VA/LR 12(80% ACCURACY)

2) Your last mock score? 86 Aimcat 1413 given as missed aimcat (but generally around 65-80)

3) How was your experience of the test?Smooth no glitches

4) What was the surprise element for you?ant question appeared again

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?no

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc .

quant for me on tougher side 2 di doable 1 tough 1 LR tough 2 doable lots of funcation and algebra question no time and distance que. only 1 gemotry question

7) Any other query or something you would like to share

lost all hope can anyone predict my persentile

😟😟

Cat Center, Date : 1st Nov , 2nd slot : Navi Mumbai , YMT col of mgmt.

Quant : One question repeated from previous cat papers
Overall quant was tough. I simple question on logs.
(please have a look,questions have been repeated)

DI : I set was easy others were tough

VA : moderate

LR : tough

ATTEMPTS : Mine was bad 😞

section 1 : 15 section 2 : 14

Last AIMCAT Score : 81 %ile

1st Nov-3.15 slot

MODERATE paper...

1) How many attempts you have made? 23/26

2) Your last mock score? 96.4 AIMCAT 01,... Usually in the range of 85-95

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.-NA

3) How was your experience of the test?Excellent... no glitches. The waiting part is extremely boring...

4) What was the surprise element for you?VERY very easy LRs...

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.-

Doable Qa... Tough DI.... Average VA... very easy LRs... I think prob on escalators was a new one...On the whole easier than all the mocks... LOts of functions and QE.GEo-3/4 almost nothing from arithmetic... ATB!!!

RESULT-98.7%ile

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Trinity Institute, Dwarka; 1st Nov, 3.15 afti slot

1) How many attempts you have made? 29-QA (mostly correct); 30-VA (7-8 guesses); Hoping for 45+ correct overall.

2) Your last mock score? CAT '12- 99.4; 99+ in most Aimcats last year

3) How was your experience of the test? Smooth

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. The options are the key while answering any Qs in CAT; the Q gets easier if options are not too close..

7) Any other query or something you would like to share. Use options while answering LR-DI Qs as some of the sets can get unsolvable (in the time provided) otherwise.

I am esp thankful to the pagalguy community for the help they've provided in my prep; Would be happy to answer any puys if there are other specific Qs

Cheers!

Rajat mg