CAT 2013 (Friday, 18th October 2013 Day 2) -- Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :*CAT Center, Date and Slot:*1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?_If you are there at repository threโ€ฆ

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities.Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her.Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting.Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people.Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers!

1. 23 in QA/DI , 23 in VA/LR.

2. 97.42
3. Shocker. After the last two CATs where I was able to make 25 + attempts in each section. This one was just out of the way. Nevertheless hope it will give a better picture.
4. Surprise element would be how imbalanced the paper was.
5. Don't sit on any question for more than 3 minutes at first sitting mark it and come back after u see all the questions.
6. Exam was well balanced (as in toughness of both sections ) and very unbalanced (as in topic coverage in each section ) .
7. What is the best attempt in this slot ?

Gave CAT today in the morning slot....

Center : L J Management College, Ahmedabad

54 ( 24 in quant, 30 in verbal)

2) Your last mock score?

99.67 % in CL proc mock 10, Best score 99.96% in aimcat 1305

The testing was good. Cant compare to last year as giving CAT for first time. The whole process was smooth without any glitches.

Quant had many lengthy question, Geometry dominated the section

None

The paper pattern was on familiar lines

QA - 21 questions

DI - 9 questions ( 3 set)

LR - 9 questions ( 3 set)

RC 10 Questions ( 4+3+3)

VA 11 questions ( 2 FIB, 2 Word usage, 1 out of context, 1 SC, 3 PC, 2 PJ)

The overall exam was of moderate to difficult level. Had many questions on geometry ( including coordinate and trigonometry), had 2 philosophical RC's and 2 philosophical looking PJ. Passages length was in between that of CL Proc's and the insane AIMCAT's. I would say about 500 to 600 words.

Quant - Moderate to Difficult

DI - 1 set easy, 2 set moderate

LR - 2 set easy, 1 set hard ( took almost 15 mins)

RC - 2 set moderate, 1 set hard

VA - moderate

7) Any other query or something you would like to share

My center had only 20 candidates and hence check in process was over within minutes. Had to sit staring at the screen for about 1.5 hours. My advice to everyone is got go to the center bit late.

Now anxiously waiting for the Results on 14 Jan. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

hi friends i have a query. in my admit card my first name and last name are interchanged to that of what i had in my pan card. Will it be a problem during verification? Please help guys.

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

Prometric Centre, Jubilee Hills- Hyderabad, 10 AM slot

Quant 22, VA 27

2) Your last mock score? NA

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

There was a problem with image loading in one of the questions. Rest was good.

Quant had very few sitters(except DI which was very easy). Geometry(4), Functions/Sets(3) were the major areas. Almost all areas were covered(PnC, Alligations, Trigonometry, Series etcc) except Time-work. Majority of the questions from modern mathematics were idea based rather than being calculation intensive.

VA was straight forward. Got only 1 grammar based question, RC(3+3+4), LR(3+3+3) , Word usage, PJ n PC. LR's especially were too easy.

Quant was lengthy. Don't miss LR n DI which can save you a nightmare

CAT in the morning slot! Friday 18th
Centre: Aurotech ( Mumbai )
1) Attempts: QA/DI - 23 VALR - 29
2) Last Mock- CL - 99.6 TIME - 99.2
3) Good experience. The whole thing took place without any hassles.
4) Surprise element would be some of the ridiculously long questions in QA. And as many have pointed out, some of them were too biased towards geometry.
5) Don't get bogged down by one or two difficult questions. Just move on as there will complete sitters waiting for you.
6) The QA part was tough while the DI was fairly easy. The VA was of decent level while 2 sets in LR were complete sitters. One of the LR set was long and required some application, but was doable. For the Quant section, I felt that it was more of a test of accuracy than knowledge/method of solving.

So here it is!
Test Center - Prometric, Hyderabad.

Section 1 - 25
Section 2 - 22/23

2) Your last mock score?
Haven't taken a full length mock in a while, but scored 98+ %ile in almost all the mocks with quite a good 99+ %iles.

Test experience was smooth with no technical glitches.

Inordinately lengthy and tricky Quant (not DI) with few sitters.

It's been quite sometime since CAT's gone online and I find this question is slightly irrelevant. Anyways, take a couple of online mocks and you should do fine.

Modern Math, Algebra and Geometry dominated quant with ample questions from functions, PnC, coordinate geometry, equations, functions etc. Am I the only one to have got PnC? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
With regards to DI, two sets were of easy-moderate level (mostly calculation oriented) and the third caselet was tricky but doable and I could solve only 1 question in it due to shortage of time.
LR had a simple set and a moderate set while the third set was slightly time consuming - left 1 question here.
RC's were lengthier(~600 words) than what you get in CL's mocks and the questions were tricky - left a set here. Two of them were easy to read. TIME isn't entirely at fault. ๐Ÿ˜›
Verbal part was of moderate difficulty with the usual suspects (aka PJ, PC, SC, FIB, WU et al). You can narrow down to 2 options, but then it gets very dicey.

Overall analysis -
Section 1 - moderate - tough
Section 2 - moderate

Section 1 was one of the toughest I've ever faced - especially Quant and a score of ~60 is very commendable. By tough, I don't mean that some out of the world funda was tested. I mean that the questions in quant were lengthier than what you commonly come across in a moderate Mock CAT and so it took some time to arrive at the answers. About 5 questions were very tough and were to be left out. About 12-13 needed patience to arrive at the answer. Some 3-4 were sitters, but were not exactly giveaways. Even the simplest of the questions was phrased in such a way that it takes you some time to get the answer. The trick here is to be as composed as possible.
Section 2 was of moderate difficulty. It was quite lengthy, given that RC's were lengthy and an LR set was time consuming. I am not the right person to comment on what a decent score is. Also, it looks like I screwed it up.
Pinning my hopes on accuracy to rescue me. But I get a feeling that 50+ attempts would have been chaotic.

I've said pretty much everything I wanted to say. For those of you who are yet to take the test, just stay calm. Mindset plays a very crucial role.

@Dante_ftw1 @nits2811 @shubham07iitr and the rest, wish you good luck! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

RESULTS UPDATED: 99.95

Guys I gave the paper today. Very ordinary one at that. QA & DI-14A, VA & LR-26. Focussed totally on accuracy in QA so expecting 12C in section I and 20C in section II. What kind of percentile should be expected ?

Looking at all the attempts by others mine look tiny. looks like I don't stand my chance with Section I - 18 Attempts with 99% accuracy and section II - 25 Attempts with (I donno)% accuracy.
BTW (I donno) > 70%

:drinking:

Anybody appeared at NIMS, Delhi? How is the center?

was slot 2 tough? or is it just me ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

any one gave test in slot 2 here ??? just now came from the test it was horrible...
QA - only 10 attempts all correct for sure .. VA-18 attempts.. such a weird quant paper donno wat to do noww veryy sadd depressed

Came to know...POEM came as a RC in one of the SET ...god can only save me now ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ..Read below

anyone slot 2 friday 18th october? I found section 2 very tough...is it just me?

A cat has been busted for smuggling marijuana into a prison in Moldova..............via Hindu

don't dare to bell the cat..๐Ÿ‘ผp

Its a humble request to all the guys who took CAT today, please share your experiences, we(i believe) are shit terrified of Quant ....

i expect my score to be around 90-95.. what %ile around? oct 18th slot 2...

can the cost of costliest mobile phone be determined.. whats the answer.. i marked cannot be determined.. is it correct?

there are different questions even in the same slot or are they different??