CAT 2011 Pattern Change

To quote the CAT convenor "The CAT 2011 will have only two sections instead of three. The first section will focus on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; the second on Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning. These two sections will be imp…

To quote the CAT convenor

"The CAT 2011 will have only two sections instead of three. The first section will focus on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; the second on Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning. These two sections will be implemented sequentially with separate time limits. The examination will be 140 minutes. Candidates will have 70 minutes to answer 30 questions within each section which will have an on-screen countdown timer. Once the time ends for the first section, they will move to the second and will no longer be able to go back"

Will the coaching institutes immediately adapt to this pattern ?

Do your preps/strategies get affected by this ?

What is the impact ?

http://www.pagalguy.com/2011/07/cat-2011-will-have-only-two-sections-three-new-test-locations/

I think coaching institute will now have tough time to adapt to this..
but they have to adapt to it asap for our benefits....and revise their
mocks to the new pattern...

I think I have to devise a new strategy. i used to start with DI, then VA and then QA. as there is no LRDI section now. I think I should start with the VA-LR section, and attempt only the LR questions initially, then I should move onto VA questions. after finishing it off, I'll move onto the QA-DI section as my momentum will be high by then.

What say Puys, share your strategies in that changed scenario.

To quote the CAT convenor

"The CAT 2011 will have only two sections instead of three. The first section will focus on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; the second on Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning. These two sections will be implemented sequentially with separate time limits. The examination will be 140 minutes. Candidates will have 70 minutes to answer 30 questions within each section which will have an on-screen countdown timer. Once the time ends for the first section, they will move to the second and will no longer be able to go back"

Will the coaching institutes immediately adapt to this pattern ?

Do your preps/strategies get affected by this ?

What is the impact ?

CAT is out of the bag: The 2011 exam will have only two sections, three new test locations. | PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT

By Logical Reasoning in Verbal and LR section do they mean critical reasoning as of GMAT pattern or else Normal reasoning questions like arrangements and cubes etc etc???or a combination or both???
nilanjan999 Says
By Logical Reasoning in Verbal and LR section do they mean critical reasoning as of GMAT pattern or else Normal reasoning questions like arrangements and cubes etc etc???

Most likely they are talking about normal LR questions and not the critical reasoning thing like GMAT. things will be clarified as soon as the CAT site opens on 8th of August '2011

the introduction of the timed format per section will definitely cause many of us to change our strategies.
those who devote more time to their difficult section usually do so by taking less time for the easier section.. and such strategies will backfire in the new format..

I think I have to devise a new strategy. i used to start with DI, then VA and then QA. as there is no LRDI section now. I think I should start with the VA-LR section, and attempt only the LR questions initially, then I should move onto VA questions. after finishing it off, I'll move onto the QA-DI section as my momentum will be high by then.

Not sure if i got this right, but from what i could gather from the article, we'll be having two sections, both timed, so i dont know if we'll have the option to chose which section to take first. Jo pehle a gaya, wo karna hoga..:w00t: Hope thats not the case, but still this changes a lot. Speed has never been my forte..And not being able to revisit the questions , one has missed earlier definitely will have an impact on the OA.

But, i'd like to thank the CAT people, for atleast letting us in on the changes, nahi to seedha exam me ja kar pata chalta to 5 min to hansne me hi nikal jaate

Yeah, the worst thing is you can not even devise a strategy.

U have to start with QA-DI, which is more time consuming, and u'll have only 70 minutes to solve 30 questions.

Then you have to do VA-LR, it also has got the same time frame.

It's difficult to decide what to do now.

Not sure if i got this right, but from what i could gather from the article, we'll be having two sections, both timed, so i dont know if we'll have the option to chose which section to take first. Jo pehle a gaya, wo karna hoga..:w00t: Hope thats not the case, but still this changes a lot. Speed has never been my forte..And not being able to revisit the questions , one has missed earlier definitely will have an impact on the OA.

But, i'd like to thank the CAT people, for atleast letting us in on the changes, nahi to seedha exam me ja kar pata chalta to 5 min to hansne me hi nikal jaate

I got it wrong initially.
U Have to start with QA-DI(section1)
and then VA-LR(section2)

Now they have to normalize two sections instead of three. That is a welcome change. Number of questions remain same and we get 5 more minutes ;)

Coaching institues are stumped.. They need to adjust Mock test as soon as possible.

Yeah, the worst thing is you can not even devise a strategy.

U have to start with QA-DI, which is more time consuming, and u'll have only 70 minutes to solve 30 questions.

Then you have to do VA-LR, it also has got the same time frame.

It's difficult to decide what to do now.

I'm sure this was done as an attempt by the erudite CAT facilitators , to level out the playing field a bit. But i don't understand , previously also , for any given slot, people had the same no of questions, the same time and the same LOD. So how should this help them in gauging anything in a better manner beats me.

The biggest downside i see of this is that, percentiles will get skewed. Since anyone who has DI/LR as his Achilles Heel will suffer a lot

I see this as a welcomed change.
For two major reasons,
1. You can easily divide your strategy in two parts. While handling first 70 minutes you don't need to worry about next 70 minutes and vice verse. You can easily select and attempt questions as Time per question has also increase slightly.
2. Usually people have one weak area, so that can be managed easily will other area present in that section.

I guess, now competition will increase immensely.

I also foresee change in selection criteria for different colleges. For example, no college wants a student who is strong in LR but weak in VA.

[QUOTE=CAT_gunner;2840781
The biggest downside i see of this is that, percentiles will get skewed. Since anyone who has DI/LR as his Achilles Heel will suffer a lot
But there are very few students of this sort.

Correct me if I am wrong but where has it been explicitly mentioned that we would be provided a choice in choosing the order of section we wish to attempt ?

As far as I perceive the CAT has been changing its pattern with an emphasis on VA section(At least this is what we got when previous CAT's had started to move to VA).For sure they would not like to have a student with a low VA score.Institutes just might move to giving a variable section weightage to various sections.Normalization should make the things more interesting though.Expecting a critical reasoning based paper.
I think with a hint of GRE,GMAT in the interview we might see some interesting stuff being embedded in the LR section of CAT this year with GRE already changing gears.

P.S-Any thoughts on that writing section which has been mentioned.
P.P.S-Time to join one more test series.

I think this is a welcome change... hope the paper level remains same across all days and IIM's make a proper selection criteria that gives every deserving candidate a shot at the interviews...

Whoa !! this is the DNA of CATever changing..
No info on cut offs though ?
Will there be two cut offs ?
or 4 ?
maybe 3 as usual ? no idea
One more point..the need for speed seems to be undermined . Whether u finish section one in 40 min or 70, u ll only get 70 for the next section !
Woooo..interesting

Nice to see this move , i think it will create a balance between first timers and repeaters , who will be unsettled by this move and will have to change their strategy , CAT is moving towards a stage , where preparation over the years wont matter ,and only who can adapt well to the new pattern will survive :)

I think many repeat CAT takers will be unsettled by this move , no offense meant , but its time for them to buckle up 😃

Aww man, this is serious bad news. I bank on VA and logic to get me through. Now those have been clubbed together. I take 30 minutes to solve 20 VA questions and 45 minutes in DILR, concentrating on the LR questions.

Now I have to face 30 questions in both Quant and DI - in 70 minutes.

Wow, and just as I was celebrating my first 99-percentile score in this season's AIMCATs...