[CAT 2011 Official Helpline] By IIM Kozhikode students - What to do at the 11th hour

Hello people, PaGaLGuY.com’s Official CAT 2011 Helpline is back, Powered by students of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kozhikode. On this thread, you can ask solutions to your last-minute doubts, anxieties and questions about …

Hello people,

PaGaLGuY.com's Official CAT 2011 Helpline is back, Powered by students of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kozhikode.

On this thread, you can ask solutions to your last-minute doubts, anxieties and questions about CAT 2011 and they will be answered by a multitude of students from IIM Kozhikode. For example, you could ask them about,

1. Forming a test-taking strategy
  2. How to deal with weaknesses in preparation
  3. How to be prepared for the D-Day
  4. Tips for each section

So if you have any questions on the above topics, post them here and get them answered by multiple IIM Kozhikode students to get rich perspective.

Ask on! All the best to everyone!

PS - it would be nice if you first went through the thread and see if your question has already been asked by someone. Why ask again something that has already been answered?

Cheers,
Apurv

Hi puys, Thanks for this realy useful thread which will surely be helpful for first time CAT takers like me..

BTW, wat according to u puys might be the sectional and overal score /180 to get 95%ile in each section and 99+%ile overall? I know it cannot be predicted so soon, but according to previous year CAT scores, can u pls share your thoughts?
'A 50% score can fetch an IIM call', how much is it true??

Thank you, Apurv!

We are delighted to be a part of this initiative this year as well. The aim of this thread is not to discuss individual problems and caselets. We intend to focus more on the macro aspects of it, rather than specific problems.

Feel free to post any doubt/query/opinion or suggestion. We will try to resolve them as soon as possible and in the most comprehensive way possible. In case any specific queries about the online format come up which we are unable to resolve, we will attempt to sort them out in consultation with the appropriate authorities here.

Please be specific in your queries, and back them up with what you have been doing. For example, merely asking 'What should be the strategy for CAT?' is not very useful, as strategies will depend a lot on your state of preparedness, your strong and weak areas, etc. Ideally, include the following when you ask something :

- Your strong and weak areas
- Your overall mock scores
- Whether there has been any dip or rise in these scores in the last month or so
- Your current paper strategy

Include as much details as you can.

Hi puys, Thanks for this realy useful thread which will surely be helpful for first time CAT takers like me..

BTW, wat according to u puys might be the sectional and overal score /180 to get 95%ile in each section and 99+%ile overall? I know it cannot be predicted so soon, but according to previous year CAT scores, can u pls share your thoughts?
'A 50% score can fetch an IIM call', how much is it true??

It was always difficult to make any sort of prediction earlier, and for the last couple of years, it is way too complex to make any prediction. One has to develop a flair of judging the difficulty of a CAT paper based on the experiences with mock papers etc.

Hey puys ,

I joined both CL and TIME test series .I am real confused about where I stand ,I have been getting mixed scores in the tests .

CL :I fared well in most of the tests,got above 97%le in all the mocks except for one .

AIMCATs: Well I have been getting 93-95 %le from last 4-5 Mocks ,but I am not able to improve my scores .
I am getting a rank under 300 in the First section but making too many mistakes in VA . Any suggestions to improve VA in the last month .

Hey puys ,

I joined both CL and TIME test series .I am real confused about where I stand ,I have been getting mixed scores in the tests .

CL :I fared well in most of the tests,got above 97%le in all the mocks except for one .

AIMCATs: Well I have been getting 93-95 %le from last 4-5 Mocks ,but I am not able to improve my scores .
I am getting a rank under 300 in the First section but making too many mistakes in VA . Any suggestions to improve VA in the last month .

I would advise you to go through the mock tests and see where you made mistakes. Ask yourself why the option you marked is wrong and why the other one is right. Doing this for a large possible set of questions should help you in getting your fundamentals right so that you never make mistakes in those questions.

You have done reasonably well in mock cats, so need not worry. Keep revising and stay focused for few more months. Good luck !

hi. my AIMcat scores are not going beyond 83 percentile mark. they are hovering in the range of 70 to 83. what should i do ?
Also last year i took cat without any prep. just flew down to mumbai in the morning , took the exam and went back. i ended up scoring 90.xx overall percentile with a 95 percentile in quants and 75 and 77 in va/rc and di respectively.
This year, i have been preparing since the last 3 months. i would say i much better prepared this year but the mocks are giving me nightmares.

seniors plz help.

hi,
i have joined CL test series my mock score ranges between 85 to 90....with few above 90+..
which college should i apply.Do i have a chance to make to some elite colleges like IIM,MDI,IIT B

Hi seniors,

Thank you for the thread and being so prompt in responding...I followed the last year's thread and must say, it was a great help...

I have joined TIME AIMCATs and have been scoring in the range of 93.5-99 percentile, my average being 96-97 percentile

I have solved all previous years' CAT papers and past AIMCATs...also, I have been analyzing this year's AIMCATs religiously...

My problem is, most of my marks come from the VA-LR section...I generally score 96+ percentile in that section and in QA-DI, I barely manage to clear the cut-off...If I could get 92+ in section 1 too, I believe I would be crossing the elusive 99+ percentile regularly...When it comes to IIMs, there is a huge difference between getting a 98.5 and a 99...Also, I do not have great acads so I need to have a high CAT score to get a call from at least some of the IIMs...

I have booked 8th November, morning slot for CAT...kindly guide me as to what to do to improve my performance in section 1 and also, what I should be focusing on in this last month's preparation??

I score 79 percentile in last year cat.
I score 80+ in quants and DI. but in verbal i scored 48, because of this i couldnt get any call ( I am an sc candidate)

This year too i feel hard with verbal section.
I am not doing good in rc and my vocabulary is also poor.
I want to clear the cut of in verbal. please give me some strategy to follow from now on so i can clear the verbal cut off.

i think i needed this badly !!

hello seniors ! i have enrolled for the simcats and have been scoring pretty inconsistently to say the say the least . i have scores ranging from 98.xx to 67.xx . my last being a 90.xx

weak area - section 1 ( have cleared the cutoff here just once in 8 mocks ! )
strong area - va

the problem with solving section 1 is i start fretting over the no. of attempts ( which ALWAYS have been in the 10-14 range ) . my strategy has always been - decent attempts with high accuracy .

and i have been pretty accurate too in section 1 , for eg. if i attempt 10-12 questions i tend to get almost all correct , thus fetching me something like 30 odd marks in section 1.

but the problem is with the attempts ! i have been unable to increase that no.
i guess it has a to do with temperament. maybe because i have not given too many mocks ( just the 8 simcats so far ! )

so i'd like you to guide me on these.. .

1) do the low attempts have anything to do with lack of " mock practice " ?? because i feel i havent really solved many papers or given any other tests apart from the sims.

2) how many mocks / last yr's papers solving , etc would be ideal in this one last month of my preparation ? ( my date is 17th nov) ?? what would be the ideal way to round off the prep , how did u deliver your finishing touch ??

3) and lastly , how does one keep that calm ? something to keep that motivation going . coz i tend to start feeling very low after an abysmal mock score ( i kno its just a mock and all .. but still )

and any extra suggestions would be more than appreciated .

~gracias

Hi

What is the approx no of attempts if you are looking for a score of lets say 75 percentile

Hi All,

Thanks for your time..

I have a few questions specific to VA part of section 2.
With one month to go, how would you advise revising VA part? It has sub-parts like vocab, RC, grammar, para-jumble etc. What do you thinng would be given weightage in CAT? Also, is critical reasoning going to play some part in CAT?

In the end, I would like to know, what do you think will be avg. number of attempts in VA to clear section 2 cut-off for IIMs?

I know answers to some questions like this cannot be pin-point correct, but would like to know your views on this.

Thanks,
ThinkAce

i m a btech degree holder with zero wrk ex ....what courses should i mark for in the CAT application? can i mark all courses given there?

DeMon27 Says
i m a btech degree holder with zero wrk ex ....what courses should i mark for in the CAT application? can i mark all courses given there?

@ moderators - i have taken the liberty to answer this one coz there is no harm in answering this one

@ demon - bro you can apply for all the courses, no issues at all, from pgpm to agricultrure. it won't cost you anything extra.

Hi all,
First of all thank you for starting such a thread. It's really useful for people like me who are giving cat for the first time.
I have joined TIME and CL test series. I'm consistently getting in the late 80's. The reason for such low scores has been VA. Its been my weakness from the beginning. Although there has been a little improvement in this section but I'm not where I want to be( Have been consistently scoring around 70%ile in this section and a few times have scored 93%ile).
Also, lately my QA marks have taken a toll. The number of attempts have decreased. Please advise me on what to do now. Should I start concentrating more on QA or should I work more on my VA part??

Guys,

I subscribed in iCAT test series offered by Test Funda, can anyone tell me what percentile in iCATs can fetch a score of 95 percentile in real CAT?
Atleast what percentile in iCAT can fetch a reasonable score in real CAT?
I did 4 iCATs and scored around only 40 %ile. After analysing the done iCATs, i found my weakness at QA and DI, and wrong attempt in Verbal are the reasons for my low percentile.
I planned to cover Arun Sarma Quants (already done with most and left with only Algebra) and read Arum sarma Challenging Questions in DI. For English i go for reading various Newspaper Editorials and for VA, Pagalguy contents.
After doing the above exercises for 2 weeks, i plan to take the remaining iCATs. Please reply me whether my plan is ok or where i have to do tweakings to get a refined plan.

My ultimate is to score above 95 %ile in real CAT but i think if i boost my iCAT scores then my confidence will grow.

Hi seniors
Greetings and congrats first of all to u.
I don na whether am in the right place to ask qs when ma peers are scoring above 90 = %ile and competing for the top elite spots.

However, ma qs will surely be useful to many others who are in ma range.

All over AIMCAT performance?: Over all %ile: 50-75 (On an avg)
Quants.LDi: 50-70 (Highest being 87%il once)
VLR: :60-75 (HIghest 79 %ile)
There is no religious preparation like the other guys are talking about as i started too late.
So far so good. Now what should i do wrt ma preparation/strategy on the whole so that i get atlest 90 plus in the actual CAT. Sounds odd. But i always believe in ma confidence. "After all its a tough brain battle for simple logic". I respect the preparation of others. But there are lot many people like me. Please reply.
"i will one day crack CAT"
Nandha

Hi Team,

The CAT countdown timer which keeps ticking bothers and distracts me alot.
I am a first time any B-School entrance exam giver, please advice how to maintain calm ?