Carlson MBA

Hi, I am planning to apply for Carlson MBA for the fall of 2010. I have a gmat score of 680 (V34; Q49). Anyone with inputs regarding the university? The infrastructure, the return on investment, the scholarships?? Also what are the good speci…

Hi,

I am planning to apply for Carlson MBA for the fall of 2010. I have a gmat score of 680 (V34; Q49). Anyone with inputs regarding the university? The infrastructure, the return on investment, the scholarships?? Also what are the good specializations that Carlson is known for? Kindly inform.

Regards,
Tipu

Dear Tipu

Carlson is a great MBA program with a difference. It lays a strong focus on experiential learning & international business. The unique feature about the school is its 4 Enterprise programs, which the school is very proud of (& of course it has all the reasons to be proud of). These enterprises are Brand, Consulting, Funds & Venture. They indulge in projects with various companies & provides hand on practical experience of the things you'll be doing after your graduation. eg. Brand Enterprise provides atleast 14 week of project work. And there are not more than 4-6 people on the single project.

Then the school offers Global discovery program to understand various international cultures & to learn the ways in which business is conducted globally.

The best part about the program is its location. It is minutes away from headquarters of 19 Fortune 500 companies & the college has excellent connections in the industry. Minneapolis is a center for healthcare companies & if you're interested in this field then its a great place to be. Also the school has MILI i.e. Medical Industry Leadership Institute to help you with resources for this industry.

In a nutshell its a great place to be. Website is quite informative, just go there & enjoy the experience. Listen to the podcasts, view videos of various enterprises, attend a chat, speak to the current students or an admissions officer. ROI can be a bit of problem for many people because the scholarships are difficult to come by & the program is expensive as compared to other programs in Midwest. Wisconsin, Tippie, Urbana, Broad etc. are cheaper but you even have Kelley & Fisher which are comparable (not to mention Kelloggs). But then the loans are not a problem. But then I feel that in the longterm it'd pay to study at such a school & a Brand definitely demands a premium. Location is awesome & probably this is the reason that makes the school expensive.

Recently school announced a loan program with HSBC without the need of a US cosigner. Below are the excerpts of the announcement:

"Global Student Loan Corporation (GSLC) in association with HSBC have designed a loan program to provide funding specifically for students from India to attend U.S. schools. You can borrow up to $50,000 per loan period ($200,000 lifetime maximum) to cover the cost of tuition, room, board and books and other educational related expenses. A U.S. cosigner is not required! Rather, you do need a cosigner from your home country."

I'd highly recommend the program & in case you have any other questions please feel free to ask. There are other informative forums also on this website.

All the best.

Had a query regarding "Global Student Loan Corporation (GSLC) in association with HSBC " loan.

Is collateral required for this loan?