Career counselling project

Hey All, As the time has neared when 10th and 12th students would be getting done with their dreaded Board exams and would be faced with the difficulty of choosing a career path, with so many options and not so freely available right information…

Hey All,
As the time has neared when 10th and 12th students would be getting done with their dreaded Board exams and would be faced with the difficulty of choosing a career path, with so many options and not so freely available right information for most of them. We as the ones who have gone through this entire ordeal can certainly be a helping hand to them.
We can align with an NGO or just start a camp on our own at location or few locations depending on the number of volunteers ready to provide their service. On my part I have in my contact a Mumbai based NGO whom I had provided such a service a few years back.
Hoping that many more PGites would come ahead and render a helping hand.
---Asif

Hie Asif,

Seeing u after quite some timeon forums! :smile:

Okies, as far as Carer counselling goes, I think its more about trust on whom u take the advise from. Parents tell student, your elder cousin has done engineering from a 'xyzee' A grade college, lets take his advice. And there u go considering him like God entagling the mysteries of ur life! And do u really think people will come to an NGO for it?

Hie Asif,

Seeing u after quite some timeon forums! :smile:

Okies, as far as Carer counselling goes, I think its more about trust on whom u take the advise from. Parents tell student, your elder cousin has done engineering from a 'xyzee' A grade college, lets take his advice. And there u go considering him like God entagling the mysteries of ur life! And do u really think people will come to an NGO for it?

Hey Monil,

I have done this before and know that it works. I am not saying that someone would just follow what we ask them to, its just the matter of an opinion.

for eg: In one of such sessions there was this guy who had appeared for his 12th and was dying for an engineering degree in Computers and wished to join the IT industry, but the caveat was that he could neither afford the Engineering fees in Mumbai, nor were his acads so gr8. I gave a simple suggestion of doing a BSc with Comps and go ahead, this way he can afford to get a degree which he can If he wishes enhance with an MCA. He did follow it.

Thats just one example, the people who come are generally not the ones from the well to do families but the ones who don't belong to highly educated families, mostly these are the students who are the first in th family to go for a Graduate degree.

The previous years there was this NGO called SIO, who would arrange for this. They would arrange for some communication in the locality about the event. We have had decent crowds of 30-40 people and some of the parents turn up with the kids saying they themselves don't have any idea what their kid is doing(they are not lierate enuf) but want their kids to complete their education.

This year I wanted the help from PG people so that we can do it at a gr8er scale if possible and secondly since my Bombay visits are short and hectic, I was thinking Pune can be utilised but don't have much of an idea about this place.

The topic is open for discussion, ppl plz give in your views and suggestion.

---Asif

Hi Asif,

Good initiative!! I think, we can follow such an example at our places (Bangalore, anyone??) too.

I think, apart from having counselling sessions on a one-to-one basis, its going to be a lot more beneficial, if there is an information session on all the career options available to them. So that every individual can take an informed choice. A sort of seminar!! Just my thoughts on it. Hope it helps.

Hi Asif,

Good initiative!! I think, we can follow such an example at our places (Bangalore, anyone??) too.

I think, apart from having counselling sessions on a one-to-one basis, its going to be a lot more beneficial, if there is an information session on all the career options available to them. So that every individual can take an informed choice. A sort of seminar!! Just my thoughts on it. Hope it helps.

Good to see you taking it up. Gather a few junta and go ahead incase you don't find many volunteers contact an NGO.

---Asif
Hey All,
As the time has neared when 10th and 12th students would be getting done with their dreaded Board exams and would be faced with the difficulty of choosing a career path, with so many options and not so freely available right information for most of them. We as the ones who have gone through this entire ordeal can certainly be a helping hand to them.
We can align with an NGO or just start a camp on our own at location or few locations depending on the number of volunteers ready to provide their service. On my part I have in my contact a Mumbai based NGO whom I had provided such a service a few years back.
Hoping that many more PGites would come ahead and render a helping hand.
---Asif

Hum bhi hai team mein.. :D

Hum bhi hai team mein.. :D

Cool hai sir, but the thing is there is no team in Ahmedabad. You have to make you own, go ahead and form one.

---Asif

definately a good step suggestion...will try it at my place...thats ranchi....
anyone from that place??

definately a good step suggestion...will try it at my place...thats ranchi....
anyone from that place??

Best of luck Rashmi.

The Mumbai part is moving slowly but surely going ahead. We would be launching a website for the same probably next month.

---Asif