Career Avenues presents "Guru Gyan-Country's 1st online personalised CAT prep program

Career Avenues and PaGaLGuY.com presents "Guru Gyan - The country’s first online personalised CAT prep program. " This is a unique initiative by Career Avenues to help CAT aspirants. In this program Career Avenues will select students on…

Hi All,
CAV has been the pioneer of personalized CAT prep training, and I am delighted to work on this new initiative of PaGaLGuY.com. In the past one year, CAV and PG have brought the free downloadable MoCATs, assistance to PGites on CAT prep strategy, and walk-in tests at Bangalore. I am thrilled to now work on this new experiment. But first, some history.
CAV was created not to just be a place where they teach you Quant and Verbal, but more as a place where you figured out your own unique approach to crack CAT. The focus has never been to teach you stuff, but to help you figure it out yourself. The rationale is simple if you do not have the capacity to figure it out yourself, then you aint made for CAT. So according to me, all that you need is good material (available everywhere), good teachers (still available in most places, though not everywhere) and someone to show you how to do it (available nowhere).
So in the past 4 years of CATting, CAV has put more students per hundred into IIMs then most instis, and has been constantly innovating to make personalized CAT prep scalable, so that more can benefit from it. And what better way than the PG forum to take it forward.
The Guru Gyan initiative is an experiment. A desire to reach out to a larger audience. I am hoping it helps more people discover how preparing for CAT can be a great learning experience and, MBA or not, CAT prep can make you understand yourself better. And how CAT prep is a lot of fun.
The rules are simple. If you have a problem concerning your CAT prep, then just put it here. Make sure you explain it as clearly as possible. Make sure that you have given sufficient information to help us understand your problem. Do not give one-liners like My reading speed is really slow or I have not done quant since class 10, and I still hate it. Take some time to explain your problem. Mention what you have done about solving the problem, and what are your plans for the future. Also mention your educational background, and past CAT experience, if any.
We will select a few pgites based on clarity of the problem statement, and too what extent, according to us, can the problem be solved. We may ask more information, if required. We will counsel selected students on the forum, and will also send them course material if required FREE. All discussions about prep strategy will be on the forum, and others will benefit from the strategies discussed. We will keep choosing more students as we move towards CAT based on our bandwidth.
The selected students progress will be tracked by CAV and they would be assisted right upto CAT.
I feel that not only people selected for Guru Gyan, but everyone here would benefit from the discussion we are likely to have. So join this experiment, and let us make this thread rock.
Amit
Hey Amit

First up, its a great Initiative :thumbsup:.

And if I could set the ball rolling.....

In a 150 question paper I have had problems identifying which questions should/must be solved with respect to DI.

I noticed that accross the Mock Cat papers(150 questions) that I have given, I have invaribly missed questions which should have been attempted either based on the difficulty level or on the basis of time consumed.

My approach intially to locate basic questions on graphs/tables which are more Data/nos based but yes chances are that the Set may consume a lot of time but your accuracy would be pretty high. But like I said it was at the cost of time spent.

Then Tried to approach the paper(DI) by attempting each question. Again here the problem is that u may end up comsuming time to as a result may lose out on some easier questions.

Would you advice to the "attempt each question approach" or try and still go
or could we say that a certain method when applid to DI will reduce the chances of missing out on the easier ones and therefore maximise one score.

And again I mean its easier said than done to pick the following sitter were there in the paper post analysis.

So please elaborate what should be one's general approach other than what each one is otherwise comfortable with.

Cheer,
VA

Hey amit
u rock as usual
anyways the prob i have been observing from past 3 Time Mocks is...in my quant. i am not able 2 tackle the questions during the exam.after the exam i am able 2 solve many of them.this is happening only with the quant part.No there is no phobia wid quant,as bein an engineering student ,i possess good skills in quant.so to take this prob i started with Basics again side by side..and observed tat i was clear with quiet a lot of chapters.and more over it took me lil time 2 solve all those basic questions..
so was looking forward 2 some solution or some approach i could follow to have good results in quant as well. coz this is one section i m not able 2 score any thing....basic approach i was looking forward..means wat sort of questions should i pick at this time?
and wat could i do other than basic books of my isnti...
wud really b a help if u cud sort this thing out.

hey amit great initiative man
this is going to my 3rd attemept . in last 2 attempts i scored 97.5%ile and both time verbal was the limitting factor . in time test series i am scoring 98-99 %ile but my verbal score is not getting improved . my score is around 10-15 in verbal (in time test series )
my stratergy for taking test is to give DI first 30 mins then VA 20 mins followed by RC 30 mins and last doing QA for 45-50 mins and remaining 10-15 mins again to DI .
when i tried to change my stratergy by doing VA first i was totally in trouble, was neither getting the required concentration nor the confidence. so finally i returned to my old stratergy and giving more time to VA+RC . i stretched the time allotted to 1 hr but again the score is not getting improved . in RC i am not able to concentrate well and finally do silly mistakes.
this extra time given to VA +RC is affecting my score in QA and DI . my combined score has come down to 30-35 from 45-50 (in QA+DI ) and hence overall score is also came down to 40's from 50-60's .
i am giving my whole attetion to VA+RC but not getting the right direction . give me some suggestions to improve :neutral: :neutral:

Hey Amit
First of all a GREAT Initiative!!!!!!!!!
Kudos for that!!!!!!!!

The poblems which I am facing from the past 3 Time Mocks that my accuracy is very very low!!! I am able to attempt about 60-70% of the paper (any pattern 150 marks or 90 marks). But also I am getting a very high percentage of -ves. What to do? I donot have any problems with any section. I am always struck with 2 options which are very close and I always end marking the wrong answer. This usually happens in english & sometimes in DI. So can you please help me in this regard??

Presently I am working in Hyderabad & I have completed my BTech in 2005. I gave the CAT in 2004 & 2005, but was not succeded. Its not that I am not practising, but still then I am getting many -ves. Pls help!!!!!

Great initiative........I hope you can help me.....

Educational Background

10th : 88 %
12th : 85&
Engg : 72 % (E & C )

CAT 05 : Overall %ile : 97. 9
EU : 99.8
DI :80
Quant : 60.XX

CAT STRAT

As you can see from my CAT 05 score , i have trouble in quant

EU : I start with this section. As it is my strength , irrespective of the difficulty or length of this section , i do all the questions in this section. I have a pretty high accuracy and have never dropped below 99% ile in this section in any mock i have given.

Prob Area
: I tend to spend more than the alloted time here if the section is very lengthy in my quest to ans all the qns. Shorter EU like that in CAT05 helps me a lot , but if it is a 50 qn EU i tend to overshoot the time alloted, thus eating into time alloted for weaker sections.

DI/DS/LR The section i attempt second. Do not have any major problems here except lack of practice and maybe speed. Tend to struggle when LR is not given in the section.

Prob Area Am awful at DS. I avoid it like plague. reason being (i) it usually is very tricky (ii) is time consuming. A lot of DS qns do not appear. So the time spent on it seems worthless. I go only for the very easy DS.

In the case of DI , i tend to get confused when certain types of caselets present themselves , for eg : multiple pie charts. But nothing practice cannot solve.

LR : My fav section. Prob is that i lack the ability to distinguish between easy sets and difficult ones. Always attemp any LR qn. Seems doable at first. Start solving it, fall in love with it , waste a lot of tme. Sometimes i get results , sometimes i dont.

Overall a mixed section

Quant My bugbear. A part of it is due to lack of practice. Part because i have been stuck in single digits so long , its also become a mental block. I really enjoy maths though. Strange........

Prob Area Always seem to lack time in this section, because i tend to overshoot in either DI or EU . Panic if the first few qns are not doable. My problem areas are probability and geometry. I go with the idea that i have to clear the cut offs, ie get 12.5 . So if i canot ans a few qns i tend to panic. I do better when 2 mark qns are asked......

I am sure if i clear the cut offs in this section i will clear CAT easily..

So any advice Amit????:

Wow, looks like i am soon gonna have more than my hands full.

So here we go. I need more information from some of you.

Vinit456
Can you give me more info? Is this your first CAT ? Past experiences ? How many Mocks approx you may have taken ? Time spent per section (2 hour test) ? Order of sections if any ? Score / Percentile range per section and overall ? Which test series and what course are ? and finally Chage in test taking style necessiated by 2.5 hrs pattern. I may need more info soon.

BeldCAT
Past CAT experience if any ? Time spent on CAT in a week ? Is it that you even make easy qns difficult in a test scenario or is it that u r unable to differentiate them. And in a 40 minutes for quant scenario, what approach do you have (based on only 1 marks situation, and with differential marking) ?

Rajesh_ano
Which other test series have you taken this year / prev years. Was the story similar ? What are you currently doing about VA/RC? Reading habits ?? What has worked, and what is not yielding results ? And finally what material do you refer to for VA/RC ?

More soon. Please add anything that you think may help me get to know your style better..

Cheers
Amit

Vinit456
Can you give me more info? Is this your first CAT ? Past experiences ? How many Mocks approx you may have taken ? Time spent per section (2 hour test) ? Order of sections if any ? Score / Percentile range per section and overall ? Which test series and what course are ? and finally Chage in test taking style necessiated by 2.5 hrs pattern. I may need more info soon.

BeldCAT
Past CAT experience if any ? Time spent on CAT in a week ? Is it that you even make easy qns difficult in a test scenario or is it that u r unable to differentiate them. And in a 40 minutes for quant scenario, what approach do you have (based on only 1 marks situation, and with differential marking) ?

Rajesh_ano
Which other test series have you taken this year / prev years. Was the story similar ? What are you currently doing about VA/RC? Reading habits ?? What has worked, and what is not yielding results ? And finally what material do you refer to for VA/RC ?

More soon. Please add anything that you think may help me get to know your style better..

Cheers
Amit

amit ,
last year i have taken time test series and i was getting 10-20 in different tests . on an average score was nearabout 13-14 . this year i have joined cl and time both . in cl mock 3 i got 26 which was my first cl test. if you leave this one test then the story is similar .
currently i am concentrating on VA part doing time material . for RC not doing much.
reading habbit - reading hindu but sometimes due to work pressure skips . in weekends read BT/BW. right now i am reading some novels also but i am thinking to start doing passages instead of reading novels from next weekend . in VA my performance is really unpredictable sometimes i do parajumblled and summary quesions with a good accuracy sometimes accuracy level come down to 20-30 % . in RC accuracy level is nearabt 40-50 % on avarage . most of time i want to finish VA as fast as possible and attempting as many questions as possible but after attempting 30-35 question i just get 10-15 odd marks . i am planning to read some grammar also this month and then starting RC practice . its really horrible to see no improvement in my score .
i have Time study material with me . in weekdays its difficult to find more than 1-2 hrs for dedicated study so completely dependent upon weekends and holidays .

Hi Amit,I am appearing for CAT for the first time in 2006.

My Profile.
10th - 84.4 %
12th - 94 %
B.E. (Comps) - 68 % - 2005 passout

Currently working in s\w industry with 15 months work exp. by Dec 31 2006.

I did not join any classes, but joined Mock Test series. Have given abt 4 mocks in the test series, and the 2 MoCats uplaoded on PG.
I dont think i can look much into the MoCat results as very very few ppl give the test ...
In the 4 mocks i have given , the general trend has been wot most ppl struggle with, Quant :).

My startegy
50 mins - QA
50 mins - DI
40 mins ( max ) - VA ( as im sure this will ensure i clear cut off's by atleast 1 or 2 marks ) and then back to QA ( usually coz i know i m missing tht cut off, havent gone back to DI yet, though it may be poss if DI is tough in the paper).

The thing is i spend 1 hr on QA to barely clear cut off's or even miss them sometime, and my over all suffers as i cannot score in VA.
I do think my VA is very good, but general papers ( CAT and Mocks tend towards tought QA and DI and relatively easy VA ).
I know, by analysis, if i can clear QA cut off in 50 mins then i can score well, but i just find it tough to comprehend most questions. I get a lot of them after coming home and sitting with a relaxed mind.

Any suggestions as to wot i can do to improve scores ....shd i change my strategy, or just keep working hard to improve my quant ..

This will be my first attempt at CAT and needless to say I am pretty confused with the way my mock cat results are coming up.

I have missed 3 mocks and lotsa coaching classes due to some family problem so I am unsure about my preparation as of now.

My profile:

10th: 81.6%
12th: 73% (Medical)
Grad: B.Sc hons in Human Genetics:|

Was working with Dell International Services till August 1, 2006 in the Customer Support segment. Have a 1 yr work ex. With the job and night shifts and stuff, I was very irregular with the preparation and classes. Now since I have quit, I have the whole day with me and can manage to devote 10-12 hrs to padhai.

3 months to the exam and I have still not been able to figure out a strategy for the paper:nervous:

VA has always been my bone of contentment but the story has not been good since the mocks started. When I attempt parajumbles at home I score pretty well. In a set of 15 questions, I usually attempt 13 questions and end up with a score ranging from 11-12.67. Now, when I am taking the mock I barely manage to get 1-3 questions correct. I just fail to understand where I am going wrong.

RC is something I hate to do but its easy to score, again when I attempt it at home. Whenever I am taking the mock, I get real nervous cos I keep looking at the other passages. Still havent been able to figure out what kind of questions I need to attempt and what should be my approach towards RC. I usually attempt direct questions and leave the inference ones. But even then I get them wrong:neutral:

QA: I still dont attempt anything at QA. Its only 3 months to the exam and still I have a quant phobia. Mainly becuase I did my bachelors in medical and most people end up telling me that since I have a medical background I should just forget about CAT??: . I have been practising consistently since 2 months but I am not satisfied with my performance in quant. Either I score -ve or b/w 1-2 which of course is pretty bad. The questions are so difficult and I am still struggling with the easy ones. Now I am sure that I cannot score 99 in quant but I atleast want to clear the cut off so as to manage admission in a decent institute. Dont know if I should keep a stupid goal as clearin the cut off but at this point of time with due respect to my prep, I frankly dont know

may we have some more info abt wat exactly this guru gyan about? Hope we are talking about some morale support only

smiles
Andy

hi,
This will be my third attempt,i have taken coaching in ims for cat 2004,time cat 2005 ,and now erudite for 2006 cat.i am working in infy and have daily 12 hr weekdays so only weekends left for me..to study thats the biggest problem..still somehow i have managed good marks 60+ in the 2 mockcats i have given thsi year although the toughness ofthe paper was similar to the freemocat102,am not satisfied with my level of preparation...main probelm area is quants and di because i donot manage to score 15 + in both of them while english va nd rc is my strength area.First tiem i gave cat got 94%tile,got calls from tapmi and mica couldnot convert second time was in my job training so could not fimd enough time to prepare,this time busy working lets see wher it goes

The more I know, the better I can try to come out with an effective prep plan and strategy. So please be more specific. I will be choosing the first couple of people for this initiative based on how much I know about your predicament.

Sid_sharth
Could you be more specific. Eg. Scores / percentiles in last 2 years CATs. Accuracy percentage across sections ? And if you have done any analysis of your errors ?

Rosh !
Is your problem across all topic in Quant ? From what material have you done your basics, and what tests are you taking ? What has been the total effort in your prep as of now ? And what material have you done as you moved from basics to mocks ?

Satiago ji,
Probability ? Have not seen it in CAT for the past 10 years ?? But great explanation of your problem area ? Need some more info. Time spent to do 50 questions in VA/RC ? Number of questions attempted in QA and DI, with accuracy percentage? Areas that you enjoy in Quant ? An area in Quant where you are ready to take my challenge test ?

Profootball
Can I get to know your scores / percentiles in mocks ? Number of questions attempted on an average ? Strong areas in Quant, etc ?

Candybean$$$$
Please complete the story. And you should be surpised to hear that I have worked with two doctors in the past who have made it into top 8 Bschools. So please give me more info on DI, effort put in quant prep, and time spent across the sections in mocks.

Vinit456

Cheers
Amit

Hey Amit,

I have given CAT once before but that was without adequate Prep and without any plan/strategy in my mind. So in that sense this would be a genuine attempt.

I have given 4 AIMcats till and have managed to clear the quant offs as thats not my strenght and just I just feel comfortable starting off with it, no specific reason Start of off with quant. But like I said the problem arises with a 150 question paper. I have papers of previous years and that's how I got to know about the problem. Time usually alloted is
Quant-60 mins
Verbal and DI would be shared with min of the first 40 to VA for 2 2.5 hr paper.

In a 2 hr paper its Quant - first 40 and in both patterns my time toward VA n DI would kinda change depending let' say on the RC's.

But like I said once the paper is done there are questions which could have been done.

Lets put it this way. If I have attempted a certain question which has its own sub questions I am not sure how good the Idea is leave some sub questions beacuse I have spent time in understanding that question be it LR or a certain graph. Then I am left with the choice of either attempting the questions which may take some time but would eventually get it or do i go to the next question understand it @ the cost of spending time over it and also the fact there maybe the same question which my consume it.

I have been through the Mock analysis sessions by the Institute and what I thought was that the tough sub questions should have been left. And then you should have moved to certain so n so question. But thats easier said than done once the paper is over.

So my approach ended up being pick the question and do it completely unless I am very sure that it'll take a lot of time.

So please do suggest a way out of this. Do we attempt every question or do we go with the approach of trying- to- clear- cut- off thing.

Also for us the unfortunate non-engineers how wise/ok it is to not do topics like Trignometry. As lot non-science students have not gone through those aspecst in quant for about 4 yrs now (in my case). I mean Sin and Tan means something else for me.......

Please do let us know. And from you experience how have successful candidates(non-science) in your veiw tackled this issue as you would have received similar queries.

Thanks,
VA

Dear Amit could you please offer more details in your advices?

BeldCAT
Past CAT experience if any ? Time spent on CAT in a week ? Is it that you even make easy qns difficult in a test scenario or is it that u r unable to differentiate them. And in a 40 minutes for quant scenario, what approach do you have (based on only 1 marks situation, and with differential marking)

Cheers
Amit
See amit i nvr had any experiences in cat.this will be the first atempt.

Time spent:this is high time i am having i mean the month of AUG..so studying at an aveage of 4-6 hrs...tat includes quant ,verbal...readings ...and basic books ...i mean analysis of exams also...but the out comes are yet 2 b seen coz i have adopted this funda from 1st aug. i have my degree mdterms in sptember..and den finals in CAT week ..so really screwed frm all sides..so just wana complete the studies by this month..so tat only mocks are left...me not haunted from quant ready 2 wrk hard 2 make it my strength..till now able 2 score 12-15 in eng..and 6-8 in data in TIME mocks

some times happened wid me tat i was not able 2 solve easier ones in exam..and was able 2 solve after words...but i think it hardly hapened.coz my attempt has been low in quant..may b arnd 6-8 question highest til date.
strategy is tat i just goo by scanning for in 40 mins..try 2 geometry.trigno ques if able 2 do...1 or 2 question from algebra...no. system..see it depends
hope i have answered it all..i think i m wrong some where in attempting...but cant find out in last 4 mocks..hope 2 improve in quant...and ya i have nvr attempted Probability..and permutations..was weak wid these in +1 so nvr tried here..but will do it by aug 15t 4 sure...i think where lies the prob is tat i m not able 2 do the higher level quest at a fast speed means the way they need 2 b done...like 2 mins to a quest...i need 2 find some tricks and some thing of tat sort...i feel this way...hope this info helps...if u need some thing more do tell me

Sorry to butt into this thread but I recommend that the ppl struggling with QA wud do well to read Amit's post at http://www.pagalguy.com/271825-post53.html

I found that pretty useful in choosing which Q to tackle and what to avoid when I tried my hand at CAT last year. The key is to keep thinking thru the paper, especially in those sections u r weak at.

CAV and PG are going places!!!!!! Great, another feather in the hat for PG and CAV. Good work Amit.

Hi Amit,

its a great initiative by your institute.........I hope you can help me too.....

Educational Background

10th : 75 %
12th : 67&
Engg : 75 % (C. Sc.)

CAT 03 : Overall %ile : 88
EU : 92
DI :80
Quant : 60

CAT 04 : Overall %ile : 95.1
EU : 98
DI :20
Quant : 88

CAT 05 : Overall %ile : 98.4
EU : 99.3
DI :97.2
Quant : 58

Its my fourth attempt and as you can see by my performance, i have continuously improved in VA and DI but quant remains a barrier for me. I have a few areas like P&C; and probability in which i believe i do fairly well but am not able to crack Qs in other areas like algebra and number system.

Despite of being an engineer, maths has historically been my weak point. I have tried to improve but only if the paper is easy, i will be able to clear the cutoff. otherwise as you can see in my cat05 performance, i flunk in quant section despite doing reasonably well in other sections.

I try to allot equal time to all sections but the speed is also very low.

Workex:- Currently working in schneider electric india as a software engineer since past 2 years. So can devote a max 2-3 hours on cat after office. :)

I hope theinfo is sufficient for you.

waiting for your reply,
'

Atul