Care To Raise Your Voice Against Rising Fuel Prices ?

Hello Guys, Here’s a copy of an email I recd. Your reactions/ views solicited. Dear Friends ! Petrol in Pakistan Rs17 per litr Malaysia Rs 18 per litr In India it’s 50+ per litr Why this difference in Asia itself ? World Mar…

Hello Guys,
Here's a copy of an email I recd. Your reactions/ views solicited.
Dear Friends !

Petrol in Pakistan Rs17 per litr

Malaysia Rs 18 per litr

In India it's 50+ per litr

Why this difference in Asia itself ? World Market CRUDE Oil is not

the reason for this. It's all Gain for private owners? As we are the
general public, or Common Man as R.K.Laxman wud hv said, we have to

raise our voice, let's raise thru Emails.

Forward this to all Indians who care.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF
PETROL FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD

CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS

OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
COMPANIES.

THEREFORE "THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd " HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED

"STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD

NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF PETROL THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS

MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD

OUT. WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL

IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF PETROL GOING UP BUT

AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES,
TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH AFFECTS

PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING,

BUILDING SUPPLIES MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE

DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE

DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE

WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR

CALENDARS AND MAKE SEPTEMBER 22nd A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS SAY
"ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

We forward so many junk email to many of our friends, now let us do

it for some useful cause to cut down the price of the petrol .. ...

REMEMBER : SEPTEMBER 22nd 2006

Pls "Think Of It ...............

Even though the rising oil prices pinch all of us very badly, lemme tell u something.. My dad is working for Bharat Petroleum and the inside story is that the oil companies are losing thousands of crores every year, because the govt. doesn't allow them to increase their prices. Hence the loss has to be borne by the govt and these oil companies.

The cost is regulated by the OPEC countries and if the cost of oil goes to as high as $70/barrel, there is very little the govt or the oil companies can do. This cost is a result of the demand/supply chain from the gulf. Till now, the govt has been able to keep the cost under control but it has been under constant pressure from the oil companies, who are suffering very heavy losses due to it.

Hence, we need to seek for optimum fuel conservation like pooling when going to offices, using of public transport, ensuring the vehicle is tuned up so that the fuel efficiency is maximum, etc.

I would prefer to run my car on Rs 100/- per liter petrol. We are a royal nation so why one should pay subsidy for it. More to add we can afford it.

The main issue is not petrol but subsidy of the diesel.

Also FYI .. petrol prices are cross subsiding diesel ... which is the backbone of the industrial and rural sector. Hence cant take things from one angle. There are n no of things that cause these high prices.

Also who will pay Rs.50 for one litre in pakistan, nepal, bangladesh??

Its high time we reduce our dependence on personal transport and make public transport the no1 choice for people. Instead of stop buying petrol .. stop using your cars and travel by bus/train ... i know its tough ... but atleast the young can!!

well......helo friends...
congrats...mackenna..for the cause..initiative.....

will contribute...the way i know best!

first of all .....before..seeing the conseq.lets understand.. why OIL is wat OIL is..........GLOBAL MOST IMP COMMODITY

It had seemed like the worst was over. After peaking at around US$75/bbl in September, crude oil prices had quietly drifted back into the fifties, and suddenly it seemed as if it were all just a bad dream.

Mind you, a couple of years ago US$50/bbl would have seemed outlandish, but since China's long term emergence and Katrina's short term destruction the world has found comfort in believing US$50bbl to be almost cheap. But just when we thought it was safe to go back to the pump

The longer term rally in the oil price to date has been driven from the demand side and not the supply side. The supply side has played its part in that capacity has been caught short, hence as demand outstripped supply the only way for the price to go was up. Economists are less concerned about demand-side rallies in the shorter term than they are about supply-side rallies, as demand will always find a level at which the price is simply too high.

This was actually happening. Post Katrina, the demand for oil, particularly in the US, began to subside. Basic economics was at work. To assist in reducing the price of oil the US released crude oil reserves while refineries went into overtime to make up for lost production. Regular maintenance was postponed. It was also very fortuitous that the US experienced a balmy fall which, to date, has given way to a balmy winter.

But now the real spectre looms. Comparisons are often made in oil price terms to the oil shocks of the seventies. Those shocks were supply-side shocks, brought about by OPEC oil embargoes instigated to hurt the evil West. Increased demand in the new millennium has meant that we've had to get used to generally higher oil prices. But as suggested, demand will always begin to drop off when the price is just too high.

If supply is affected, however, real panic can set in. Supply disruptions mean actual shortages that have immediate effect on everything from workers getting to work to factories being able to operate. Naturally, the price responds, but whereas increased demand forces a general consideration of alternative fuels or lifestyle choices, loss of supply causes fear.

Iran was the centre of attention in the seventies and Iran is back in a big way. No one trusts Iran's exhortations that its defiance of nuclear restrictions is based on energy considerations, and not death and destruction considerations. If the US, UN and anyone else with an interest starts really giving Iran a hard time, the expectation is that the next step is oil embargoes.

Iran is the second-largest producer of the OPEC countries, after Saudi Arabia. It produces 3.9mmbpd (million barrels per day). Were Iran to stop selling its oil to the West, a big hole would appear in an already stretched supply side. The result would be a new high in oil prices, and that's exactly what the market has been quietly anticipating most recently.

It would seem the world has taken higher oil prices in its stride. Merrills expects world GDP growth to be 3.9% in 2006 and 3.5% in 2007, suggesting the global economy has simply weathered the higher oil price environment. At the household level, indications are that the retail sector has taken the hit, such that the demand for petrol has not noticeably fallen. It has been significant that inflation has not become a problem, and thus interest rates have remained low. The irony is that China - held largely responsible for the demand surge - has also provided cheap exports that have counteracted higher oil prices in the inflation balance.

some next posts....will talk..things in INDIAN context......
bye
hedger

all said and done .. why blame the oil companies for the hike. what will a day of boycott do ... companies are themselves finding it difficult to live up to high international prices?

Instead of boycotting ... reduce the dependence on petrol.

@LIFE.. i am waiting for the indian context of yours.. ur above post was ver informative... though a bit long

Snopes kills this one too - http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

End of discussion

Nice to see you all evincing interest in the topic, and thanks for the posts. The copy of the email I have posted talks of a one day boycott. Firstly, whether we resort to car pool / using public transport or boycott, the end result is the same - lowering the Demand. Secondly, as the email claims, I find it hard to believe that a one day drop in demand can create that much of an havoc so as to reduce the prices.As for 'choking the stock piles', I guess the Govt, as it is, is sitting on an enormous reserve stock pile to cater for emergencies / war etc. How exactly the supply-chain logistics link will be affected by a one day boycott needs deliberation. Some gyaan from experts needed.

ANY SIGNIFICANCE OF THE Sep 22 date quoted in the email for the boycott??

as mentioned though the price rise is pinching everyone, the government doesnt seem to be in a position to do anything ,simply because india hardly has any control over this issue ... moreover india and china are two countries that are also contributing to this increase ... according to the finance ministry only 10% of the actual price increase in the price of oil in the global market has been passed on to the indian consumer , i dont think there is anything more the government can actually do... another price hike seems inevitable..... in india conservation of fuel seems to be a alien concept ... at every signal in pune i have hardly noticed anyone putting their engine off for the 2 minutes that they are supposed to wait, rather everone seems to be in a hurry to speed off ....even more outrageous is that local municipal transport buses can be seen runing their engine for half an hour while the driver goes to have his cuppa .... i am guessing the situation isnt different in the rest of the country.... in an interview with a news channel the chief economist of IMF dr. raghuram rajan ( i hope i have got his name right) suggested that one of the ideal ways of forcing people into conservation of fuel was passing on the real price of a litre of petrol..... so ideally conseravation neeeds to be the mantra (this helps in reducing the pollution too) rather than cursing the government

CARPOOL is the way to go! Not as a protest but as something that is SENSIBLE!

If you want to understand how subsidies can really hurt a nation. Look at the case of Indonesia.
Will try to get the link and post it here!

all said and done .. why blame the oil companies for the hike. what will a day of boycott do ... companies are themselves finding it difficult to live up to high international prices?

Instead of boycotting ... reduce the dependence on petrol.

@LIFE.. i am waiting for the indian context of yours.. ur above post was ver informative... though a bit long

well
hi sahil....
mate u r rite...........why to blame companies!!!??
they have no fault of their own.......................!
they are public sector undertakings.............otherwise..................instead of debating against price being 45-50rs........we would have been debating.. n protesting for improv public transport the country over!...coz the petrol price would have been no less than 80-85 rs.....same for diesel.50 odd
we would have had no choice but for.....???!!!!!.!!!!!!............

its coz we are a developing nation....with r eye on global world that we can't let inflationary pressures....... n balance of payments to go adverse.......coz ultimately.....that expenditure by public means reduces investment....or reduced savings in economy due to lower after needs disposable income!
the kind of subsidies that IOC the biggest revenue generating indian co/ yes bigger than ONGC..also.....makes losses...shares burden worht 14000crore anullay....thats wierd......!!these eq.. will change.....with more differntiation.... n integration.....chipping in...inte. i mean megers of biggies among themselves....
me being a paasionate follower of markets can't tell how RIDICULOUSLY priced ONGC has been over the years........same co/ in USA would be far more richer in terms of market capatilisation........
all they get is DESIGNER tax cuts...my own term!!!!

why should a well off indian.....sayme..u .or sahil...complain.....if u r reaping the benefits of economy..earning...spending on that weakend..on that pathetic kareena movie ........or yoga n health clubs......then why not to dole out these extra bucks........after allthis is ur way of enriching country via these PSU's
if they are heathy..........country will be.....we will be!
oil demand is no joke..... or choice opinion.........
u need it ..... n u need it story finish...

the govt gives us 300 rs approx subsidy for LPG .....san which u will be wondering if u really do need to cook 3 times or is it a luxury

the point at last is ..............that we are not dicataters.......we are followers of wat others are doin ...ie...OIL nations..............atleast thanks that r govt has reserves gallore to afford it first... n then give it to u n me at reduced prices.......................this is DEMOCRACY....mechanics at work.......in a economically sensitively placed emerging nation.

as sahil said...alternate fuels is ned n the world is marching in that direction.........the new word is ETHANOL....n india may be blessed to have it since its a byproduct of mollases...(sugar thing)...apart from brazil...chile...n etc which i i donot 9.
will stop for now
as the views are solely mine.............there may be error of judgement....
cooperate..! i am still a sudent learner.............
but a compulsive....commentator..........rather addictive
hedger

..alternate fuels is ned n the world is marching in that direction.........the new word is ETHANOL....n india may be blessed to have it since its a byproduct of mollases...(sugar thing)...

Heard about Jetropha...? .....the wonder plant which can yield bio diesel? Indian Railways has started plantations of that all along their railway lines....to be used as an alternate fuel.

Heard about Jetropha...? .....the wonder plant which can yield bio diesel? Indian Railways has started plantations of that all along their railway lines....to be used as an alternate fuel.
is it? where is this done??would like to know more about this..
Mars Says
is it? where is this done??would like to know more about this..

mainly in tamil nadu and chattisgadh.

http://www.chennaionline.com/science/Technology/03railways.asp

@life ... ur view point is right and is on the same lines ... wat i have been saying. good that u elaborated it further... with good inputs regarding the stock market.

unfortunately no one has come out against the fuel price hike... wud have been an ineterestig debate then.

ps... why do u put a disclaimer below every long post?

The rise in petrol prices has much to do with the gargantuan increase in the oil consumption by econiomies like China. The demand is getting so huge that it oil comapnies are fervently looking out for more oil exploration areas at frenetic pace .
Further there is a different angle to price hike. The government policies and it's say in oil diplomacy across the globe is something which raise eyebrows.

abhishek

Its high time we reduce our dependence on personal transport and make public transport the no1 choice for people. Instead of stop buying petrol .. stop using your cars and travel by bus/train ... i know its tough ... but atleast the young can!!

@sahil .. good post

And I do agree with u , that public tranport should be used more nowadays , specially with the metro coming up , I bet that expense on fuel must have gone down considerably ... now the prob with buses is that , they are considered to be too common class by those who drive to work ... considered to be shameful to be seen in a blue line
Delhi government has made some attempts to change the image of the buses , by starting some cool new buses ..

I would suggest some new ac buses on dedicated routes to be launched , let the ticket be priced higher , say 50% more .... and make no standing a norm .. so that the journey is comfortable for .. and if its comfortable once , the person will think of coming again ....

regards

shailesh

@sahil and amit , server crash karwake hi chaddoge

I would suggest some new ac buses on dedicated routes to be launched , let the ticket be priced higher , say 50% more .... and make no standing a norm .. so that the journey is comfortable for .. and if its comfortable once , the person will think of coming again ....

i think we shud take a clue from mumbai in trhis regard, they have AC buse which are pretty comfortable.

In delhi we used to have chartered buses ... but due to rising salaries and the bpo culture .. ppl have started moving to cars.... dont see much of them now.
aspire| Says
And I do agree with u , that public tranport should be used more nowadays , specially with the metro coming up , I bet that expense on fuel must have gone down considerably ...

it has brought out a new problem of electricity consumption in a state which falling short of electric supply for domestic consumption

now the prob with buses is that , they are considered to be too common class by those who drive to work ... considered to be shameful to be seen in a blue line Delhi government has made some attempts to change the image of the buses , by starting some cool new buses ..

but this is not possible in all the cities. for example, in mumbai roads are so cramped, it is virtually impossible to add to the existing flleet

|aspire Says
@sahil and amit , server crash karwake hi chaddoge

aap bhi ho is team main ab to