Can I Get into Harvard or Standford like B-Schools

I have completed my schooling from State Board with 80% in matriculation and 60% in intermediate (+2 science). Subsequently I have completed my B.E in Civil Engineering from NIT Rourkela with 73% in the Year 2002. Since then for the last 8 years I…

I have completed my schooling from State Board with 80% in matriculation and 60% in intermediate (+2 science). Subsequently I have completed my B.E in Civil Engineering from NIT Rourkela with 73% in the Year 2002. Since then for the last 8 years I am working an executive Engineer in NHPC Limited, a miniratna Public Sector Enterprise. I have ample experience in Construction of Hydel projects and associated structures like tunnels, dams,bridges etc. Keeping in view my experience (not so diversified) and academics (average) can anyone suggest - should I aspire for top B-Schools like Harvard or Stanford.

I will wait for some one to reply as well, as I am brand new to this forum. Someone please answer.

@103071k, If you are targeting for Harvard, Stanford etc. top universities, then you need to be extraordinary.
Of course you should have strong academics, apart from that, you should have shown leadership qualities during your job. At the end, top universities will see what all things you bring to the table and, how much rich experience you have that will help classroom.

Some globally well known NGO's connection will make difference.
Note : Not any NGO (Globally well known).

@ GMAT Score : 750+ (As your academics are not that much strong.)
If you are trying hard, then surely there is possibility.

thanks for the practical suggestion. Then please guide me what r the schools I should try for

Profile:

GMAT: 770 (99 percentile)

Acads:
Engineering - 72% (Mumbai Uni - considered high)
High School - 77% (state board - avg)
School - 85% (state - high)

Work ex: total 2.5 yrs but not focused
Accenture - 14 months
Asst. Prof (Engineering) - 12 months
NGO related work - 5 months

Needed some advice on my chances at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc...

@mba2013-2014 which intake you are planning to apply?
Thanks,
Jaswinder Singh
@ManyaAbroad was planning 2013, but I guess I might be a little late for that... what do you suggest...
@103071k You have got a descent academic background and good quality of work experience. Just aim for a good GMAT score and you can apply to Top B schools.
List of few B schools you can target are as follows:-
STANFORD UNIVERSITY
HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL
KELLOG SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY (IL)
THE WHARTON SCHOOL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
MIT, SLOAN
COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL
FUQUA SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
TUCK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AT DARTMOTH
@mba2013-2014 Harvard, Stanford, Wharton are top Universities and are left with only 3rd round of intake where it needs to have an extra ordinary profile. You need to push for fall 2013 intake.

this is my profile
Acads:
Engineering - 58% (Mumbai University)
High School - 81.5 % (state board)
School - 82.4% (state - high)
Work ex: total 2.7 yrs as of now

i know my graduation score is low ....but if i get good score in GMAT will i be able to have any chance at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc...
please advice

@shurikan

this is my profile Acads: Engineering - 58% (Mumbai University)High School - 81.5 % (state board)School - 82.4% (state - high)Work ex: total 2.7 yrs as of now

i know my graduation score is low ....but if i get good score in GMAT will i be able to have any chance at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton etc...

please advice

probably not