Camp for the physically challenged @ Mumbai

Ahoy Junta, This sunday there is going to be a camp arranged by NASEOH at Murbad. Its going to be there for the whole day. The objectives of the camp are as follows: 1) Screening disabled people on the basis of their disability 2) Coun…

Ahoy Junta,

This sunday there is going to be a camp arranged by NASEOH at Murbad. Its going to be there for the whole day. The objectives of the camp are as follows:

1) Screening disabled people on the basis of their disability
2) Counselling them regarding the same
3) Providing info on calipers, braces and other devices which could be used to help them
4) A physiotherapist would also be there to counsel them on the kind of exercises they need and help them with their physiological issues.

The Venue:

New English High School
Murbad Bazaar
Murbad

Time : 10 - 4 or so. Basically the entire day.

All yee interested reply! 😃 It would be a real meaningful day for everyone involved 😃

me up for it!!!wheres the other mumbai junta??!!c'mon!!!

Im comingggggggggggggggg

Ok Guys I'm 99% sure of coming .......Hope there are no major change of plans at the last minute but for all counts I'M IN :)

Cheers,

Wayne

Hey People,

I really hope the Mumbai guys are more forth coming... Come on.. what, sucha small turn out!!! Calling everybody around Mumbai - Just spare one Sunday to help a few people. It will really be a great feeling.... 😁 😁

And, oldies, NO NASEOH this Sunday.. becos of the camp. I have informed Ms. Saha reg the same.

Will post more details reg this camp soon...
Byeeeee

Simba

Hi junta,

Yesterday, I have messaged all the mumbaikers to accompany us for this camp. However, only a couple of replies Attimes, I am amazed at the apathy of u guys who think its too much to give just ONE SUNDAY for a NOBLE CAUSE!!!

Anyways, Kanti.. Hope u see this post. See if u can make it!! And Ashish - It would have been good having you. All the Best for ur test. 😃

Where are other MLCS guys - Purvasha, Anupam etc.

This is an update mail :wink:

Spoken to Saha of NASEOH. I have cancelled the class & also told her we will be there for the camp. Then spoke to Javed Hyder who is the official organiser (I think so!!) His cell no. is - 9820760070. Pls call him if u need some specific info that is not available here.

Now this camp is in New English High School, Murbad. People who might join us late or want to come directly, can take a ST (State Transport) Bus to Murbad. As soon as u get down - U can ask for this particular school. The camp is here itself!!!

Others... people like me

We have to take a train to Kalyan. Then get to Kalyan West. (I have no idea how to do this - Tabrez.. where u thou??!) get out of that place & opposite to the Stn, U have Deepak Hotel (U can ask anybody) Next to it is the Alankar Bread & Bizkit Store. Assemble here at 7:30 to 7:45 AM. BEFORE 8!!!

From there, we travel by ST bus about an hour & get to Murbad. I think we will be around 25+ volunteers including us 😁 Wow, this will be GOOD!!!

People who have confirmed as of now - Allwin, Tabrez, Sajiv, Wayne & Moi!! Wayne.. I really hope u can make it... 😃 Only 5 out of 100s of Mumbai junta... that too the regulars...

I guess, I have covered pretty much...

Simba

for people who haven't made up their mind on whether to go to such camps et al, or to contribute at all to the CS program in Mumbai, I'd strongly suggest you go to this camp. Believe me, such interactions are a real sensitizer.....I can assure u, a lot of ur misplaced fears and notions will be displaced.....

and yes, in case u still need more reasons, then the biggest would be , you get to meet wonderful people from the forum too..... 😃 😃 hope to c more of ye folks dropping in there on sunday....... :)

Cheers

Simba,
we got a direct bus from Vashi depot to Kalyan west which hardly takes 1:30 hrs.
So lets meet at Vashi depot around 6:45...eeks did i say 6:45

Simba,
we got a direct bus from Vashi depot to Kalyan west which hardly takes 1:30 hrs.

Let me repeat that question......Did you say 6:45!!!!!!!!

As things stand I'm Coming :)............But haven't a clue on how to get to Kalyan Station.........Hey PG, I hope you have the directions ready

Hey Mumbai guys..........Hope some more of you join in as well :).............We could probably have a Mumbai PG Meet at Murbad

Cheers,

Wayne

Anyways, Kanti.. Hope u see this post. See if u can make it!! And Ashish - It would have been good having you. All the Best for ur test. 😃

Simba

Guess, i can leave the campus only by 12:15 (after my fin. class)...prolly the camp will getover by the time i reach there 😞

Will try anyway...if my Fin. Prof decides to defer the Quiz...might make a dash for Murbad....BOL to all u guyz....am sure u all r gonna have a gr8 time.

-Kanti

Damn..if he says 6.45 .. we need to actually get started on Saturday night itself

Simba,

WOW... 6:45 ... I am all set 😁 😁 😁 I shall try to sleep early... will need to conserve energy...

Hey Sajiv & Tabrez.. me will talk to u today sometime!!! Wayne.. & Alz... have a bath & go to bed.. its easier to sleep in those clothes.. u wont have the time in the morning!! But guys, just wondering.. we know exatcly where we are going & how to go... So, even if we get a tad late in the early morn confusion, we can get to Murbad.. 😁 😁 😁

Thats it for now...
Simba

Darn..my woist nightmare.. I usually sleep at 4 .. can't imagine sleeping before.. Wonder how the hell am gonna manage this .. Please ..anyone volunteering to bring pillows n all ?

jus back from the camp.....reached home at 8.30 pm!!!it was one helluva xperience...no matter how much one writes on it....its jus not gonna be the same....wat an eye opener!!!
200+ ppl wit some sort of deformation in their bodies immediately make u thank god that he made u perfectly alright...soo many of them were kids.lots of stuff to write but will post in detail later....really tired...got up at 5.45 a.m!!!

Hi folks,
Feels gr8 to hear that so many of u cud make it to the camp......i was the unlucky one...been tryin hard to make it to Naseoh but have lectures on Sundays as well.....

Eagerly awaiting the details of the camp......Wayne, PG, SImba,Sajiv, Ashish Puneet,Ami......how r u guys doing? I am sure u all wud be doin a gr888888888 job every Sunday at Naseoh....God Bless u all.....

adios..

NSD

Gosh :shock: :shock: ...ive been missing so much action 😞 ...... havent been able to read the message boards since a couple of days..had some functions at home .....sounds like the camp was real good...hope to hear more about it...and hoping to be there next sunday

Purvasha

Hi Guys :)

Here's my update on the Camp at Murbad

Well the reason why I couldn't confirm my participation till the last minute was because of a function I had to attend on Saturday Night and yeah as I was dreading managed to reach home only at 2.30 A.M . Knew it was going to be a very difficult task managing to get up at 5.00 A.M so had to keep myself surrounded with 4 Alarm Clocks with Alarms at Intervals of 5 minutes each ........Lucky I did that cause managed to get up at 5.20 .

From then on everything was a bit of a rush...........Met up with PG at 7.00 at Dadar
and from there on proceeded to Kalyan where we were supposed to catch up with Tabrez, Sajiv and Simba Before 8.00 .

Managed to reach Kalyan Station at 8.15 or so and the Navi Mumbai Guys were still on the way . In the meantime me and PG went looking our for the NASEOH folks and the other volunteers.........We were expecting around 20 of them according to what we were told but try as we might couldnt find any sign of a large group.........finally managed to spot them but they were far less than 20........4 of them were from TISS (1 Professor and 3 Students on Project Work) plus Mr. Shetty and Mr.Javed from Naseoh and the physiologist. Finally at around 8.30 the Navi Mumbai gang arrived (Just Kidding Folks!! )

In the end it didn't make much of a difference cause the first bus for Murbad started at 8.45 :).......Managed to get some decent seats in the bus and had some 'good' discussions during the Once Hour Journey. Simba tried her best to catch up on some sleep to no avail .

Journey to Murbad was Great and the scenic surroundings to the backdrop of rainfall and Cool Weather made for some great viewing :).

Managed to reach Murbad at 9.45 or so and by that time most of the patients and their families had already gathered outside.....and believe me it was quite a crowd :).

Our First task was to see to it that all the patients registered themselves..............and our job was to Fill in their Personal Details in the Forms provided by Naseoh.

All the volunteers working in tandem ensured that this leg of the volunteering work went about smoothly and we managed to register all of them in a couple of hours or so. The trouble most of us had was that at first most of us were unfamiliar with Marathi(the Language spoken by most of the patients) so at first all of us struggled along writing in the Correct details. The School thoughfully also provided some Primary school students to assist us by acting as Translators. And Most of them were really really enthusiastic about helping us and ensured that we didn't face much difficulty in our task. In fact after some time they were asking the patients questions before us (In fact there was a small boy who was really helpful in this regard and was of great assistance to Sajiv and me, I've got a Pic with him...Hope to upload it soon )

Well all the registrations were done by 12.00 and then started the Patients Check Up by the Doctor and the Physiologist and our Task was to ensure that all the patients turned up in the order of their Registration Numbers. If it sounds Simple ....Believe me it wasn't .......First of all announcing the Numbers loudly in Marathi proved to be a task beyond most of us and besides we had to make do with the innumberable requests from patients wanting to get ahead of the queue due to a wide variety of reasons......but with a bit of "Diplomacy" we managed to handle them.

As there was one doctor who had to do the Check up for all the patients.......the procedure took a lot of time.........We took turns handling the crowd while the rest of us took a break for lunch (Yeah, a Maharashtrian thali ).

At one time when the Nurse who was assisting the doctor had to take a break for lunch.....Simba Volunteered to write down the prescriptions and did a mighty fine job of it :)........The Doctor later told us that he actually thought she was a medical student cause she did such a good job

Well the entire process finally got over by 6.30 and then we called it a day but not before Havings some Vada Pavs and Garam Bhajias

Well those were the proceedings of the day as best as I could describe. Sometimes it was a really sad sight to see all the Handicapped Patients walking in especially the Little Children :(.............But I guess it is at times like these when you see such children smiling inspite of their Handicap that you realise how lucky most of us are :)

That's it folks from me......Will leave the rest to the others to fill in ......Truly a Great Experience for all of us 😃 and inspite of the Travel Hassles and Alarm Clocks .......I'm sure Most of Us will definetly be Volunteering for future camps :)

Cheers,

Wayne

PS: We had our moments when we were introduced to the doctors as a group called pagals .........But the doctor saved the day by stating "Is Duniya mein kuch karne ke liye, Pagal Rehna Zaroori hai "

PSPS: Pics submitted for Developing....Will try and upload soon enough 😃

Wayne| Says
The School thoughfully also provided some Primary school students to assist us by acting as Translators.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Wayne Says
But I guess it is at times like these when you see such children smiling inspite of their Handicap that you realise how lucky most of us are :)

U said it dood. :

Waiting for the pics...

A great post Wayne, U have succinctly covered up the whole thing. 😃 😃 BTW, Wayne, its not physiologist.... its Physiotherapist... 😃 😃

Two things that kept hitting me throu out the evening was -
1) Gosh - we are darn lucky.. we have 2 hands & legs & normal life!!
2) Other - Just one day of working at the grass root level, its like we have done something. But is just one camp like this enough... We really need to grow into multiples & reach out for many many others who need us so badly!!

First of all, we really had no idea what we were supposed to do. All we knew was there was some camp for handicapped & they needed volunteers!!!

Ya, these guys didnt let me sleep in that bus.. PGz. & Tabrez.. will def get back to u on that!! Once we reached the school, we were amazed at the crowd. Atleast, I was a tad too worried. We do talk about communtiy service etc etc... but in actuality, when u see them, u are in for a rude shock.. so many ppl huddled around .. coming inspite of heavy rains for a FREE CHECKUP!!

This camp was basically a Screening camp for the ppl around Murbad & beyond. Basically, this camp is funded by Rotary International and organised by NASEOH. We had one doctor (I guess an orthopedist) who would screen these patients & diagnose the illness. And depending on the severity & need, the doc prescribes, what can be done by NASEOH. They might be given a tri-cycle or wheel chair or boots or crutches etc etc. All these are manufactured at NASEOH only by the disabled!! This camp, we have recorded the numbers. Next month, we will go & fit it to them.

Some of them were recommended just plain tablets & others major operations. This doc has given them operation dates etc. I think, these will be done in NASEOH too but I am not sure. And others were given just physioteraphy as treatment. That is where the physioteraphist comes in. She in another room, would teach them the kind of exercises etc etc.

So, firstly we needed to give them numbers & register them taking all their details into account. Their financial, personal status. I registerd around 50 odd & none of them had a monthly income more than 1500 Rs. My biggest handicap was MARATHI. Though my Hindi was atrocious, talking to these ppl in Marathi was TOUGH!! Tabrez & PG helped me for a while. Then there were those school girls & some of the locals too were helpful!!!

Wayne Says
At one time when the Nurse who was assisting the doctor had to take a break for lunch.....Simba Volunteered to write down the prescriptions and did a mighty fine job of it :)........The Doctor later told us that he actually thought she was a medical student cause she did such a good job

Really!! 😁 😁 Wow, no wonder a couple of times, he scolded me...Now, am happy... !! Ya, I am aware of the tests that need to be done to diagnose 😃 But that doc sure put in straight 5-6 hrs without lunch!! But it was a great learning exp. About whys & hows & whats...of HANDICAP!!!

The most imp part is due to lack of awareness in these parts. 50% of the cases here were CP - Cerebral Palsy (Docs forgive me if I get the spellings wrong!!) Something like, sharp alert minds caught in non-functioning bodies. And all these could have atleast taken care of if the mother had taken a lil care while delivering the child. And these cases, nothing the doc could do. It seems there is a centre for CP at HajiAli where such cases are taken & treated. Its quite a long process & some of them also get cured!!!

Though the day was tiring & kinda non-stop work.. I was perfectly OK when I woke up today... but yes, all those still haunts some of the thoughts.

Next time, we go.. we are planning to take some old clothes too...Some of them needed clothes than medical treatment!!!

Thats it from me....More later...

Simba