cambridge judge vs cornell AMBA (1 year)

Hi I have received an admit for the Cornell Accelerated MBA (1 year) as well for the Cambridge 1 year MBA. The Cornell AMBA starts on 27th May and the Cambridge MBA in September I am from India, have 10 years of work ex and am inte…

Hi

I have received an admit for the Cornell Accelerated MBA (1 year) as well for the Cambridge 1 year MBA.

The Cornell AMBA starts on 27th May and the Cambridge MBA in September

I am from India, have 10 years of work ex and am interested in a career in Management Consulting post MBA. I dont have any location preference as such post MBA and am open to US, UK or India.

The current economic situation seems to indicate that the job market will slump in the coming year

The Advantages of Cornell AMBA as I see it is that it has an excellent brand in US and a very good career services. Disadvantage is it starts early in May right in the midst of a possible recession. I will be competing with 2nd yr MBA students (most of whom are from US and will have established a better network) for recruitments in a dismal job market.

Advantage of Cambridge is that I am on even ground as the entire class is international and it starts later. But the career services may not be at par with Cornell and the brand is not recognised as much in the US. Also the alumni network is not as strong as Cornell

I guess at the end of it, its trying to make a career in US vs UK. Given a preference for consulting, US may be better?

Please let me know your views about both programs.
Thanks...

There is an old thread (recently resuscitated) in BW forum about Oxford vs Cornell, dunno if you read it already LINK I think it all boils down to where you would prefer to live, US or UK.

thanks piermarcor...

however my situation is a bit different as I have an admit for the 1 year MBA at Cornell and not its flagship 2 year program

In the current near recession state and with the 1 year MBA starting in May right in the midst of it, there are disadvantages to the Cornell 1 year MBA.

Also do you think Cambridge has a good brand name in the US?

Thanks....

Dear Sandstorm,

Congrats on your admits.. you have two great admits....Both are great schools..

I am presently a student at IMD,Lausanne and had considered only the 1-yr schools last year, since I also had relatively more ex.. around 6 years - much lesser than yours.. and also had no specific locational preference.. I also intend heading back into the work of consulting or commercial banking.. so the way I had evaluated the schools were as follows.. and these were my personal rankings..they might help -

My quick 1 yr ranking -

- IMD - Based on the rigor / small class size / student profile / academic pedagogy/ (also the obvious reasons :smile: ). Not very strong placements in Banking but great placments in Consulting - only school where laterals are offered by the top comnsults/ strongest Indurty placements

- Kellogs - The brand and the US location is huge. Best placements among all schools in this list.. Will be the no.1 in a few years.. We will need to guard ourselves at IMD :smile:

- INSEAD - Is no 1 in everybody else's book. Very High brand recall / Very high visibility / very large network (only European school to have an Alumni network as strong as the US schools) / large applicant pool - Great Consulting placements - but the rider is not everyone gets placed since the class is appx 1000 ppl a year (2 campuses / 2 intakes) so the bottom 200 have a great problem...But overall maybe the best...though not as rigorous...

- Cornell 12 Month option - Very strong Univ / good class composition / big advantage its based in the US.. Placements will always be better as compared to a European school.. awesome experience at the univ

- Richard Ivey, Canada - best case method school in the world (ppl say after Harvard) / very good placement record / best school in Canada / Salaries a little lower than US schools but the jobs are with same firms but based at their Canadian offices / very nice country to live in

- Queens, Canada - The best technical univ in the world after MIT, this MBA was previously only for Technocrats but now open to all / great placement record with the IT & consulting industry / great student profile / good school location/ see Canada you will always find a job even if their is down turn if you have passed out from Ivey or Queens.. they have such a strong brand name..

- Emory Univ, Gouizeta School of Business - US Based / good placement record / great location / maybe not the best brand name but placements have been good

- Said School, Oxford - Old brand / very strong in UK / upcoming placement record / very high Indian selection - Indians still believe if you have studied at Oxford you are god..

- Judge, Cambridge - too many Indians so class composition is not as International as you would think/ upcoming placement record/ very similar to Oxford

- ISB - Great Indian school, very upcoming and has good placements in India for junior and middle mgmt roles.

- Manchester Buss School / HEC Paris - both very old European schools / exceptional location / Old corporate tie-ups / not strong placement record

according to me Cornell is a far better option.. it has a phenomenal placement record.. and its better to join early rather than late :-)... so if u ready to join school next month - go ahead and join Cornell...

All the best.. u will make the right choice.. u can't go wrong with any of the two schools..

Cheers,
OK

Thanks a lot OK..

I have read your other posts on PG and I must say they are all inspiring...

I agree with you that head to head Cornell 12 month does offer many advantages over Cambridge - mainly better placements and larger alumni base

However I was only concerned that I do not have any experience/network in the US and I hear stories about how important networking is post MBA.

With just 1 year (much lesser networking opportunities), a bad economy, and a cap on H1-B visas for international students... these factors together do not bode well for a 1 yr program in the US right now

But though I have been in the UK for 3 years, I might just take my chances with Cornell .. to move out of my comfort zone and see what US has to offer...
In the end I guess I am happy that my choice either way gives me a great school ... as you rightly said...

Can you share your contact details with me.. I can call you/chat with you as per your convenience

Thanks again....

Dear Sandstorm,

Have sent you a PM with my details... also at every global school networking is very important.. its no different at Harvard, IMD or Cornell.. its important everywhere..

Also I didnt have any experience in Europe..but I still made my walk across.. and if I had an admit from a US school, I would have done the same... If you believe in your self - you will manage everywhere - good times or bad.. and bad times make you stronger.. I graduated from my Ist MBA in 2002.. and things were bad then... but from my batch all did ok.. and at Cornell they will put extra effort..and In MC things are still upbeat.. go to Cornell and see how it is on that side of the Atlantic.

Cheers,
OK

You mentioned too many Indians at Judge.. Can you tell me as per your knowledge, how many Indians are there at Cambridge Judge?

Regards,

Dear Sandstorm,

I am presently a student at IMD,Lausanne and had considered only the 1-yr schools last year, since I also had relatively more ex.. around 6 years - much lesser than yours.. and also had no specific locational preference.. I also intend heading back into the work of consulting or commercial banking.. so the way I had evaluated the schools were as follows.. and these were my personal rankings..they might help -

My quick 1 yr ranking -

- IMD - Based on the rigor / small class size / student profile / academic pedagogy/ (also the obvious reasons :smile: ). Not very strong placements in Banking but great placments in Consulting - only school where laterals are offered by the top comnsults/ strongest Indurty placements

- Kellogs - The brand and the US location is huge. Best placements among all schools in this list.. Will be the no.1 in a few years.. We will need to guard ourselves at IMD :smile:

- INSEAD - Is no 1 in everybody else's book. Very High brand recall / Very high visibility / very large network (only European school to have an Alumni network as strong as the US schools) / large applicant pool - Great Consulting placements - but the rider is not everyone gets placed since the class is appx 1000 ppl a year (2 campuses / 2 intakes) so the bottom 200 have a great problem...But overall maybe the best...though not as rigorous...

- Cornell 12 Month option - Very strong Univ / good class composition / big advantage its based in the US.. Placements will always be better as compared to a European school.. awesome experience at the univ

- Richard Ivey, Canada - best case method school in the world (ppl say after Harvard) / very good placement record / best school in Canada / Salaries a little lower than US schools but the jobs are with same firms but based at their Canadian offices / very nice country to live in

- Queens, Canada - The best technical univ in the world after MIT, this MBA was previously only for Technocrats but now open to all / great placement record with the IT & consulting industry / great student profile / good school location/ see Canada you will always find a job even if their is down turn if you have passed out from Ivey or Queens.. they have such a strong brand name..

- Emory Univ, Gouizeta School of Business - US Based / good placement record / great location / maybe not the best brand name but placements have been good

- Said School, Oxford - Old brand / very strong in UK / upcoming placement record / very high Indian selection - Indians still believe if you have studied at Oxford you are god..

- Judge, Cambridge - too many Indians so class composition is not as International as you would think/ upcoming placement record/ very similar to Oxford

- ISB - Great Indian school, very upcoming and has good placements in India for junior and middle mgmt roles.

- Manchester Buss School / HEC Paris - both very old European schools / exceptional location / Old corporate tie-ups / not strong placement record

according to me Cornell is a far better option.. it has a phenomenal placement record.. and its better to join early rather than late :-)... so if u ready to join school next month - go ahead and join Cornell...

All the best.. u will make the right choice.. u can't go wrong with any of the two schools..

Cheers,
OK

Picking the right mba program for you is an important life-changing experience.Please take everything (even this post) with a grain of salt.

Especially the comment "too many Indians at Judge" - False.

First, I am a current MBA student and I can say that of all business schools I considered, Cambridge was the most diverse. The selection committee actually makes an effort to NOT enroll more than 10% from any country. Diversity in profession, culture and experience - that is undoubtedly a fact at Cambridge. This year I have 150 classmates representing over 49 different countries. This means in my class there is no more indian classmates than from China or North America. Actually one of the reasons I chose Cambridge was for the international diverse experience. When I interviewed at Cornell, I realised that I would see an diverse class that were born or spent much of their working experience in North America. My study group in Cambridge alone has someone from Korea, Germany, Sweden, India and North America. One other thing to note is the average work experience in the Cambridge MBA is 7 years which is higher than most programs.

I also had to make a similar decision between Cornell (2 year program) or Cambridge but ultimately I made a decision that was right for me based on 'fit' and visiting the schools. They are both great programs. You can't go wrong. Depending which lens you look from, some see vast differences others see all business schools as a perfect competition with marginal differentiation. But those little differences (in program, in people, in collegiate life) are perhaps small but critical qualities that if someone overlooked in you, would greatly misunderstand your full potential.

Just make an informed decision on research and if nothing else, your gut. Good luck.

Dear Oriental Khhichdii,

Would like to know your views on IE Business School vis-a-vis Oxbridge. Parameters : Global outlook, Global Recognition, Alumni Association in UK, post MBA employment in UK.

Would really appreciate the same.

Thanks & Regards,
Saurabh

Dear Sandstorm,

My quick 1 yr ranking -

Cheers,
OK

Hi orientalkhichdi,

I am planning to apply for IMD, but many of my friends are advising me against it, as they say that the application acceptance rate is very low and the fee is pretty expensive. Could you please provide me with the info about, what the admission committee is looking for in a candidate and what kind of approach should i follow while writing my essay.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks

Dear Sandstorm,

My quick 1 yr ranking -

Cheers,
OK