Cambridge & Oxford MBA placements

Hi I have been offered MBA admission at Judge business school,Cambridge university ,UK . Cambridge’s placement report on their website says about 50 top companies are recent recruiters .But when I see the schedule for the joint Oxford-Cambrid…

Hi
I have been offered MBA admission at Judge business school,Cambridge university ,UK . Cambridge's placement report on their website says about 50 top companies are recent recruiters .But when I see the schedule for the joint
Oxford-Cambridge placement fairs conducted in May 2006 there are only 15 companies and most of them are not multinationals or top companies(they are known only in the UK) .Top companies in consulting,IT,Investment banking have not participated in the placement fair this year.The number of students that attended this placement from cambridge and oxford is almost 400. 15 companies trying to
recruit 400 people is not possible ,I guess .Looks like most of students would have to try for jobs through off campus modes . The campus placement at Oxford and Cambridge do not seem to be as good as IIMs where more than 100 companies come to recruit and a few of companies even leave without getting MBAs .Business week has put a list of 100 top companies in the world that recruit from top global b schools but Cambridge(JBS) does not figure in any of the companies' 'recruited students' list .Any thoughts on this from people who have got admitted to Oxford or Cambridge this year or even current students from these institutions ?

hi,
Congrats for getting offer from JBS. and also thanks for giving some insights.
Can you please tell us your profile.

regds
HMG

Hi
I have been offered MBA admission at Judge business school,Cambridge university ,UK . Cambridge's placement report on their website says about 50 top companies are recent recruiters .But when I see the schedule for the joint
Oxford-Cambridge placement fairs conducted in May 2006 there are only 15 companies and most of them are not multinationals or top companies(they are known only in the UK) .Top companies in consulting,IT,Investment banking have not participated in the placement fair this year.The number of students that attended this placement from cambridge and oxford is almost 400. 15 companies trying to
recruit 400 people is not possible ,I guess .Looks like most of students would have to try for jobs through off campus modes . The campus placement at Oxford and Cambridge do not seem to be as good as IIMs where more than 100 companies come to recruit and a few of companies even leave without getting MBAs .Business week has put a list of 100 top companies in the world that recruit from top global b schools but Cambridge(JBS) does not figure in any of the companies' 'recruited students' list .Any thoughts on this from people who have got admitted to Oxford or Cambridge this year or even current students from these institutions ?
vkr Says
Hi I have been offered MBA admission at Judge business school,Cambridge university ,UK . Cambridge's placement report on their website says about 50 top companies are recent recruiters .But when I see the schedule for the joint Oxford- Cambridge placement fairs conducted in May 2006 there are only 15 companies and most of them are not multinationals or top companies(they are known only in the UK) .Top companies in consulting,IT,Investment banking have not participated in the placement fair this year.The number of students that attended this placement from cambridge and oxford is almost 400. 15 companies trying to recruit 400 people is not possible ,I guess .Looks like most of students would have to try for jobs through off campus modes . The campus placement at Oxford and Cambridge do not seem to be as good as IIMs where more than 100 companies come to recruit and a few of companies even leave without getting MBAs .Business week has put a list of 100 top companies in the world that recruit from top global b schools but Cambridge(JBS) does not figure in any of the companies' 'recruited students' list .Any thoughts on this from people who have got admitted to Oxford or Cambridge this year or even current students from these institutions ?

To Indian eyes in an Indian context, our yardstick for placement success is on campus placements, the cream of which is enjoyed by the IIMs. In a class of 200 IIM MBA's, 195+ will get a job from campus placements, that's about 98% of the class.... The corresponding number for an international B-school is MUCH lower, normal figures are in the 50-70% of the class.

The placement fair is ONE way by which people get jobs out of International Business Schools. Besides, 400 seems a high number, I believe the total number of MBA's graduating from OX-Cam this year is about 300.... Investigate further... ask current students and get the truth. Speak to the career services and get accurate information....

Thats a valid concern vkr. Incase you get more information on the same, please update the thread and I will do the same.

To Indian eyes in an Indian context, our yardstick for placement success is on campus placements, the cream of which is enjoyed by the IIMs. In a class of 200 IIM MBA's, 195+ will get a job from campus placements, that's about 98% of the class.... The corresponding number for an international B-school is MUCH lower, normal figures are in the 50-70% of the class.

The placement fair is ONE way by which people get jobs out of International Business Schools. Besides, 400 seems a high number, I believe the total number of MBA's graduating from OX-Cam this year is about 300.... Investigate further... ask current students and get the truth. Speak to the career services and get accurate information....

From Vkr
In IIMs all (100%) of students get offers and a lot of them receive more than 1 offer .There are students who do not take up an offer for various reasons. Like I mentioned before there are companies which return without getting a chance to recruit people . I have spoken to current students and they mentioned what I have put in here - that students have to be proactive and look out of campus to get their jobs ,of course 3 months after completion the placement rate at Cambridge is 80% .Most of the the top b schools in the US have atleast 50 companies coming to campus and in a country like US where opportunities are plenty getting a good job offer outside campus is much easier .I am familiar with the US scene because I have worked there.Even a mediocre student can get a job for his level in the US.The same cannot be said about UK which is a smaller country .
The cambridge site says that they anticipate 400 students to participate in the campus recruitment fair (which I think may include non MBAs too) .There is no need to speak to career services to confirm these numbers as these details have been posted officially on their site .

vk_iyer

As baccardi said, the Oxbridge career fair is not the only source of employment. Look here:
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/05/full_time_profiles/cambridge3.htm

That's data from 2005. 50 companies recruited on campus, 400 companies posted in the school's job board. And look at the three London job fairs. What else do you want?

Oxbridge graduates go around the world, that's what's great about the school. So don't only focus on getting a job in the UK. Think big, think global.

Networking is a huge part of professional life. No school will not spoon-feed the students job offers, and there is no guarantee. That's why you choose to go to the schools with the best brand. That gets your one foot in the door, the rest is up to you.

Thanks kamb1 for the info. However I'm sure that you would agree that the info from BW seems to be inadequate. Do you have any source of info that gives a realistic picture of placements at Oxbridge ? % placed and avg salary etc.

Cheers

How about each school's placement data on their websites? They're readily available, man.

Ox: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/MBA/careers/Placement+Highlights.htm
Cam: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/careers/placement.html

I hope you saw these during research before you applied to the schools. Otherwise, I admire your faith :)

I did kamb and was looking to get unmoderated stats esp. for an Asian. I spoke to Suman, current yr student at Oxbridge and he didn't sound too happy about placements this year so far esp. for Indians. However he suggested that there are still few months left and things usually work out at the end.

RPJ Says
I did kamb and was looking to get unmoderated stats esp. for an Asian. I spoke to Suman, current yr student at Oxbridge and he didn't sound too happy about placements this year so far esp. for Indians. However he suggested that there are still few months left and things usually work out at the end.

Pl keep us updated on this... as we will be applying next year . If possible can you pl PM me Suman's mailing ID.

Thankx
Azeem

Well there seems to be loads of concerns but none of them are too worrysome

1) Number of students attending the interview=400. I will accept this number but you have to remember the difference in the Indian and UK placement scene. In India even in IIMs every student has to get a job first and then they can apply elsewhere etc. But in the UK/US schools a person can get 4-5 offers. So even if you have 2 offers you wills till go and take part in the job fair. Whos doesnt want more money :-)

2) Recruitment scen of your Indian friend in Oxford. One thing to remeber is that in India IIms have an illogical craze so that the bottom 20% of the class also gets jobs. But this wont happen abroad the people in the bottom will have to struggle very hard. And its not only academic performance. Its also where you are slotted in the class profile. If the average experience of the class is 6 years and you have 2 years of work experience in India you are going to struggle. So if you are surprised how you got an offer its time to be cautious.

And as other folsk have stated only a small % of students get placed on campus, most of the recruitment happens through networking. Its the same case even for non MBAs . If you are ina mid management post you wont be going for walkin interviews.

-Amit

If we talk about hardest universities to gain entrance in, Oxford and Cambridge would probably top the ranks. Situated in the heart of the English speaking nation, these universities (together referred to as Oxbridge) attract the widest crowd from all over the world. The history, scholarship, credit and merit that defines Oxbridge is enough to make it a dream destination for all those who wish to bring a special change in the world we live in. The legacy of Oxbridge needs no introduction. It has been able to create such a legacy owing to the world class education and scholarship that is attained within its walls. Oxbridge is among the best places to study in because it does not compromise with the high standard of education, lifestyle and experience that define it. And it is for this reason that it is among the most difficult universities to secure a seat in. However, not all courses are made equally difficult. Some are more competitive than others. And the degrees that are difficult to get accepted in are not same in Oxford as that in Cambridge. Hardest Oxbridge Degrees: Here, in this article, we bring to you the 10 hardest Oxbridge degrees or top 10th Hardest Courses or Toughest Degrees/ Courses to get accepted on. Take a deep breath and read on... Economics and Management: University of Oxford has an acceptance rate of 7%! It is easily the most difficult subject to pursue in Oxford. Computer Science: University of Oxford has an acceptance rate of about 9 % which is probably the lowest for this course in any given university. Architecture: Although one of the most popular courses to pursue across the globe, you will have a tough time in getting a seat reserved for architecture in University of Cambridge. The acceptance rate for architecture in Cambridge is 10.7%. Medicine: Medicine is difficult to pursue in any good medical school. But Oxford has an acceptance rate of 11%, which makes it absolutely difficult to get through. History and Politics: History and Politics are difficult subjects as it is. And to pursue them from an esteemed university like Oxford is a lifetime opportunity. But unfortunately the acceptance rate for History and Politics in Oxford is 11%, giving only few to be able to pursue these degrees. Law with Law studies in Europe: This is a unique degree offered by Oxford University, and not by every other university. And with that, it is offered to only a select few interested candidates. The acceptance rate for this degree is Oxford is 12% only. Economics: Economics is one of the most sought after subjects. Not only is it one of the most powerful subjects in terms of its educational benefits, it is also one of the highest paying subjects. Thus it is difficult to pursue a degree in this subject in any good university. Cambridge has an acceptance rate of 13.8 % for economics, making it very difficult to get a seat. Fine Art: A subject solely meant for artists, fine arts is not everyone's cup of tea. And the universities that offer a course in fine arts are very selective about the students they wish to admit. Oxford offers a mere 14% rate of acceptance for fine arts degree. Human Sciences: A branch of medical science, human sciences is a specialization course and is not easily found in every university. The University of Oxford offers limited seats to eligible candidates. The acceptance rate for the same at Oxford is 14%. Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE): A degree not found in most universities, PPE is offered by Oxford. Yet again the acceptance rate is not above 15% and it among the more difficult courses to pursue in Oxford. Get details about more courses at https://www.meetuniversity.com/blog/the-10-hardest-oxbridge-degrees-to-get-accepted-on/#.Vriti9t97IU