Calling MIT Sloan 2010 Fall Applicants

Hi all, I did not find a forum for MIT Sloan applicants and with the R1 date only a month away, I am surprised. I guess people interested in applying to MIT in R1 need to start working on the application now and we can discuss all the s…

Hi all,

I did not find a forum for MIT Sloan applicants and with the R1 date only a month away, I am surprised.

I guess people interested in applying to MIT in R1 need to start working on the application now and we can discuss all the stuff that needs to go here.

I attended the MIT Sloan Roadshow in Houston today and it was very information. The event was hosted by Dierdre Kane with an attendance of 7-8 alums from the Houston region.

Some of the key notes that I didnt know and I took out from the show are -
1. Sloan is big on collaboration. There is a lot of enthusiasm that you could see among the alums.
2. Cover Letter - Dont re-write your resume. Put in stuff like what motivates you and where did you make an impact.
3. Sloan really wants to know about you and what you did in the past. They are not looking at future you or what you can do.
4. There are 170 teaching or research assistantship positions. This can pay 33%-50% of your tuition/ sem.
5. Sloan interviews about 20% of the applicants.
6. 4125 application - 398 selected.
7. A new club launched - MIT SEE - Sloan Entrepreneurship & Execution.
8. Interview is conducted by a core group of 6-10 ppl only. No faculty, students or alumni involved.

Lets start the apps rolling!

You have me! I am certainly gonna apply In R1...working on my essays. Cover letter is something new for me...any ideas?

7. A new club launched - MIT SEE - Sloan Entrepreneurship & Execution.

Count me in for R1. :)

MIT SEE sounds interesting. But how is this club different from their existing Entrepreneurship club? Does it serve as a window for students to do leg-work for the E&I; track?

Yes,

Cover letter is something unique in MITs app package. The current Dean thinks that applying for an admission in MIT should not be different than applying to any job and that is why he asks you to put a cover letter along with the application.

The cover letter should NOT repeat your resume. It should have some insights about you as a person, what is it that motivates you, what did you do that made an impact to you or your organization. I definitely need some more research on the cover letter to address it. If you find some resources in your research - do post them.

mucool Says
You have me! I am certainly gonna apply In R1...working on my essays. Cover letter is something new for me...any ideas?
Count me in for R1. :)

MIT SEE sounds interesting. But how is this club different from their existing Entrepreneurship club? Does it serve as a window for students to do leg-work for the E&I; track?

Reachmonil,

This was something that the Dierdre herself did not know about. In fact she was reading about the club from an email that she received about 3-4 hours before the event.

I guess the logical reasoning is that the students obviously found something amiss from the existing E&I; track and the Entrepreneurship club and they are trying to build something that will fill in that gap.

I am also interested to know more about this and will contact the adcom to find some details around this.

Is anyone of you looking at applying for the LGO program?

I have not thought about the LGO path. It seems interesting, especially for those who know they want to be in operations and manufacturing.

Another Sloan hopeful.

What are your profiles puys?

M/31/Indian/750/9.5 yrs in Service Ops, 1 yer entrepreneurial, 2 years BPM and Strategy in Retail /Avg volunteering profile / good EC in one field

I am a M/27/Indian/760/5 yrs/IT project management/consultancy. Good academics, Good ECs. Anyone submitted yet?

The cover letter was something new to me. I spent quite sometime on it and discovered some resources. I dont know if it helps but I thought I will share -

A sample cover letter for MIT by someone in 2003 (no word limit here) - Cover Letter Essay
A video of how to write cover letter - Coverlettter
Clear admit analysis - MIT / Sloan Essay Topic Analysis 2009-2010 Clear Admit: MBA Admissions Consultants Blog
Also attaching a workbook with some examples.

reachmonil, gothivox, Z_I, Mucool - have you guys submitted your app? I just submitted mine today...

Not yet....I'm having second thoughts about program fit

Cool! I think then I was one of the late submitters.... :biggrin:
Did you capture any of the why MBA and why MIT in your cover letters? I learnt that MIT does not encourage that.

adabass Says
reachmonil, gothivox, Z_I, Mucool - have you guys submitted your app? I just submitted mine today...

Cool...am still working on my cover letter, just can't seem to get it right...have been travelling for the past 2 weeks, so haven't been able to dedicate time for my apps...Hope to get back on track from tomorrow...

Did you capture any of the why MBA and why MIT in your cover letters? I learnt that MIT does not encourage that.

Hmmm, that's an interesting point...I would think that since the letter specifically asks you to write seeking a place in the program, shouldn't there be something that indicates what is it about the program that resonates with you? Though they specifically want us to write about our accomplishments and impact on the organization, it is not an essay to that effect, rather a letter which should show how MIT will profit if it invests in you by giving you a seat.

Just my 2 cents...
adabass Says
I am a M/27/Indian/760/5 yrs/IT project management/consultancy. Good academics, Good ECs.

I am M/25/Indian/740/4 yrs/IT Consulting for a leading American logistics company. Good academics, Good ECs.

P.S. @adabass: Couldn't help noticing the similarity in our profiles 😉

My 3 essays are complete...given my cover letter to my girl friend who will review it...

and I strongly believe that the whole point of a cover letter is show how you fit and how MIT fits...this is true for any cover letter...even for a job....

i will submit it on tomo i s'pose...

my recommenders have been more diligent on this one... lol

hmm. very interesting points on the cover letter. I was reading the chat trascripts of MIT, and the adcom members were very consistent in their message of saying that if you are writing to us, we assume to you take MIT to be a good fit. I tried to take a middle road and instead of why MIT and why MBA amounting to 140 words, I reduced it to 50 only. In fact, I have more of why MIT than why MBA.

Now waiting for the LORs to be submitted....

I am going to apply for the LGO program. It is indeed a very interesting one. Any1 else?

rama.aditya Says
I am going to apply for the LGO program. It is indeed a very interesting one. Any1 else?

I was thinking about it because it was very appealing...However i attended a MIT Sloan meet in Chicago and spoke at length with alums from the LGO class and also the admission committee members....All of them kept stressing on the fact that since it is a dual degree program it is extremely rigorous. The students I spoke to said many a times one has to sacrifice things like joining clubs and other such activities because it is very difficult to juggle academics and extra curriculars. Also the number of assignments and tasks are so many that one has to take the help of other friends from Engg/B-School to help you complete them.

After listening to their experiences, I figured that I am better off applying for the MBA degree rather than the LGO, because ultimately the time I would spend networking with other students/alums in the clubs and other social meets is what will help me build my career. And i personally didn't see lots of opportunities of doing that in the LGO track. The general impression I got was that one is constantly running between classes in the B-School and Engg school at the same time coping up with really tough deadlines.That's why I have decided to give the LGO a skip.

The advantages with LGO is that the class size is really small, you get a good internship, and of course, the tuition fees are low.

These are my personal thoughts though. You'd be better off connecting with some current students and getting their opinion before making your final decision.

~GothicVox