Calling Applicants To MBS 2007

Was curious to see if there are any applicants to the Melbourne Business School around.

Was curious to see if there are any applicants to the Melbourne Business School around.

I got an admit to MBS Sept 2007. I applied in Dec.

amitg_mba Says
I got an admit to MBS Sept 2007. I applied in Dec.

hi.......please post ur profile....acads....workex...and gmat score...... also please provide infop abt the application process..... and the inteviews.....thanx in advance

My profile - 7 years IT, 4 years International, GMAT 750..
Got an admit without interview.

Application process is pretty simple..fill the online forms, 2 online recos and send the attested marksheets and passport copy.

Hi Amitg,

Frst of all big congrats for your admit !!!

MBS is one of my target schools also, but I had a few questions about it and you are just the right person to answer those.

1. What was the reason for you to apply to MBS, and which other schools have you applied to? i.e. what are the strengths of MBS, given the fact that it is not one of the top 20 B-schools, does it still enjoy an elite status (I presume that it enjoys a unique geographical advantage)

2. What are total costs for pursuing a MBA pprogramme at MBS (including tuition, living and eating) and what are the financing options available, do they have a tie-up with an HSBC, Citi etc.

3. What is the nature of placements at MBS, the kind of companies/profiles offered that visit the campus and range of salaries, how long should it normally take to break-even assuming a person has taken maximum loan

4. Is there a typical candidate profile that MBS looks at, are there any entry restrictions like already an MBA etc etc.

I did browse through the MBS site but did not get concrete answers to many of the above and I thought you would be much better informed about these since you have got an admit.

The reason why I am wanting to apply to MBS is because I am keen to work in Asia-Oceania zone post-MBA rather than the Americas and Europe and I believe that MBS is a very good institute and it enjoys a distinct regional advantage just like IIMA in India.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers............

Thanks Amit. One question. Did you have take TOEFL to apply to MBS?
Have you accepted the offer? What are the visa formalities like?

My reasons to apply :
1. I love Australia. Travel time from India is not that bad and living conditions are excellent.
2. MBA from Australia is pretty cheap and they do give some good scholarships. You can get the expenses and fees from their website.
3. It provides an option for internship if you opt for 21 months.
4. I have not accepted the offer yet. They have deferred the acceptance till Feb when they announe the first set of scholarships.
5. Recruitment is a challenge as with any foriegn MBA
6. They are finding it hard to fill the entire class, so anyone who apply will get an admission.

My reasons to apply :
1. I love Australia. Travel time from India is not that bad and living conditions are excellent.
2. MBA from Australia is pretty cheap and they do give some good scholarships. You can get the expenses and fees from their website.
4. I have not accepted the offer yet. They have deferred the acceptance till Feb when they announe the first set of scholarships.
6. They are finding it hard to fill the entire class, so anyone who apply will get an admission.

I also have admit from ISB and Queens and I am pretty much decided on ISB as of now.

Hi Amit,

Congrats again for your ISB and Queens admits!!!

You last two points are a cuase of concern; "Recruitment is a challenge as with any foreign MBA", I thought if you go to the top B-schools, it no longer remains a challenging exercise. i.e. it may not happen like India, but there are companies visiting the campus and picking up students.

I would hate a scenario where the placement activity is pretty disorganized and prettymuch a function of your individual efforts and networking.

Further, what is the reason that they are finding difficult to get good students???

Your choice of ISB, is it based on personal reasons or something to do with MBS??

Thanks....

Most of foriegn B Schools do not have 100% on campus recruitments and recruitments is not the core focus area.

Australia is not well known for Business education. Most people prefer to go to US.

For me, I want to work in India, so ISB was an obvious choice.

My reasons to apply :

I also have admit from ISB and Queens and I am pretty much decided on ISB as of now.

amit...i doubt your last comment...mbs has a very good repo in the asia pacific region and i dont think they have to strive really hard to fill the class of 45 students!!!!

I dont think the class size is just 45. Infact its more than 150. From where did you get the data for 45 class size.

I know that they were finding it hard to fill class size because they were asking people to apply for Jan intake in Dec .

Guys,

After going through the above discussions, I am forced to conclude that MBS after all is not that good an investment to make , it may still be a good school from a pure academic point of view.

Please feel free to concur with/negate my hypothesis,

Thanks

I dont think the class size is just 45. Infact its more than 150. From where did you get the data for 45 class size.

I know that they were finding it hard to fill class size because they were asking people to apply for Jan intake in Dec .

i m sorry..... the intake is 78 ...... this u can seee from the mbs -->class profiles--

Hi amitg_mba,
It looks that you have done some research about MBS, so I feel you can answer few of my doubts.

My profile:
M,31,WE 9+ in IT, International 5+, Undergrad Top engineering college India,
GMAT 690(V 80,Q86,T 91), AWA 6.0
AUSTRALIAN Permanent Resident, presently posted in Europe
Married, 1 kid

Post MBA goal: Management or Buss. Dev. roles in IT, Management Consult.(if get suitable opportunity), finally settle down in Australia

I am planning to apply for Sep.2007 intake in MBS.

Do you have any idea, how is the job scene in IT related fields from MBS post-MBA(keeping my Australian PR in mind)?
I also plan to do an exchange from LBS/ Columbia/ UCLA to get some better brands on CV, and of course to gain some experience of UK/US biz. environments.

Also, with my profile can I get some scholarship from MBS?

thanks

As far as I know, Australia is a small economy and they dont value MBA much. But I firmly believe that for competetive people, jobs can never be a problem.

If you apply early, I am pretty sure that u can get a scholarship.

As far as I know, Australia is a small economy and they dont value MBA much. But I firmly believe that for competetive people, jobs can never be a problem.

If you apply early, I am pretty sure that u can get a scholarship.

Hi amit

how much time go they normally take to respond...
i mean after all ur stuff has been sent...

any idea... what the interview is like...
i know u have not given... but by chance if u know anybody who has given..

avi_15

They are pretty quick to respond. I got an admit within 15 days. I have no idea about the interview questions.

Hi Amit..

Well i have applied to MBS on Dec 14 and still havent heard from them...

My Profile: -
GMAT - 640
EDU & Extra Curr - Rank holder + decent achievements in quizzing etc.
Work Ex- Family biz - 2 and a half yrs...

I want to know if MBS is flexible on the work ex point and takes students with my kind of work - ex or they look for ppl with 4 to 5 yrs (their website says 5 is avg).

What is the typical response time the school takes... i see ur dec was pretty quick...

Cheers