Calling, 8+ year experience, MBA wannabees

hi guys, I would like to begin by thanking the kind soul who redirected me to this forum. I must admit, this forum has been a big help and a great contributor to my MBA prep so far. Now, a few lines about myself. I am currently working in euro…

hi guys,
I would like to begin by thanking the kind soul who redirected me to this forum. I must admit, this forum has been a big help and a great contributor to my MBA prep so far.
Now, a few lines about myself. I am currently working in europe and possess around 10 years of work ex. Started off as a software engineer but now am totally involved in project management. I have been planning to venture into Business consulting for some time now and thought to make the move after an MBA. Few days back, finally, I decided to take the plunge and go back to school.
I have decided to focus on schools in europe itself. There is loads of information available on the net and loads of preparation strategies suggested but somehow I didnt find much focussed on people with 8+ years of experience. I agree, the prep strategy wouldnt really vary too much but, I guess, the challenges are a little different.
For ex
- The very idea of studying for long hours on a daily basis (after all these years that could be difficult)
- Have a family to take care of
- Risks are higher (arguably)
- Getting back to studying mathematics.(even though I was a mathematics student, last I opened any maths book was around 8 years back 😞 )
- Do the BSchools view us(8+ work ex) differently.
So, do we really need to do anything differently?? or am I just overreacting and need to calm down. I would like to call upon all the MBA aspirants who think the same way to share their experiences, and also the ones who dont share this view, to clean up the fog over my head.
Lets learn from each other.

Cheers,
jiggz

hi guys,
I would like to begin by thanking the kind soul who redirected me to this forum. I must admit, this forum has been a big help and a great contributor to my MBA prep so far.
Now, a few lines about myself. I am currently working in europe and possess around 10 years of work ex. Started off as a software engineer but now am totally involved in project management. I have been planning to venture into Business consulting for some time now and thought to make the move after an MBA. Few days back, finally, I decided to take the plunge and go back to school.
I have decided to focus on schools in europe itself. There is loads of information available on the net and loads of preparation strategies suggested but somehow I didnt find much focussed on people with 8+ years of experience. I agree, the prep strategy wouldnt really vary too much but, I guess, the challenges are a little different.
For ex
- The very idea of studying for long hours on a daily basis (after all these years that could be difficult)
- Getting back to studying mathematics.(even though I was a mathematics student, last I opened any maths book was around 8 years back 😞 )
So, do we really need to do anything differently?? or am I just overreacting and need to calm down. I would like to call upon all the MBA aspirants who think the same way to share their experiences, and also the ones who dont share this view, to clean up the fog over my head.
Cheers,
jiggz

Nice to know a PGite from GermanY! I am currently in Nurenberg. :)

Well, all the best for ur preps. It seems challenging returning to studies after 10 years, hope u find like minded souls on the forums! 😃
Nice to know a PGite from GermanY! I am currently in Nurenberg. :)

Well, all the best for ur preps. It seems challenging returning to studies after 10 years, hope u find like minded souls on the forums! :)

I hope too and thx for the wishes mate :-)
Cheers
hi guys,
For ex
Cheers,
jiggz

Jiggz - you're thinking about the right things, but are slightly overreacting. The principles of MBA admission are no different for older applicants than for younger. You do NOT have to be a math genius to attend school. A good GMAT indicates you're comfortable with numbers, not intelligence....

Hello Folks,

I am also a MBA aspirant with 8+ years of exp., currently based in Dubai.
Background: BE, passed out in 96.
Not touched any academic books since then.

But now i am religiously hitting at OG, Princeton and Kaplan for 2 hrs at least everyday. Weekends are just lazing around with wife so no books/ studies then.

It is tough to start but hey you got to start somewhere. I had problems with even things like HCF and LCM although i know how to get the answer. But never quit, keep hitting.

The choices are, either you are in or out. If you are in, then you have to go through this. But make all plans / actions as time bound else it will be difficult to get into study mode.

There will be bad days but always remember King Bruce( him and the spider, remember?)

Hello Folks,

I am also a MBA aspirant with 8+ years of exp., currently based in Dubai.
Background: BE, passed out in 96.
Not touched any academic books since then.

But now i am religiously hitting at OG, Princeton and Kaplan for 2 hrs at least everyday. Weekends are just lazing around with wife so no books/ studies then.

It is tough to start but hey you got to start somewhere. I had problems with even things like HCF and LCM although i know how to get the answer. But never quit, keep hitting.

The choices are, either you are in or out. If you are in, then you have to go through this. But make all plans / actions as time bound else it will be difficult to get into study mode.

There will be bad days but always remember King Bruce( him and the spider, remember?)

hey man...
really inspiring !!!! And thanks a ton for replying. I have a whole list of things that I need discussing. Am in office at the moment. Will write a proper post from home in the evening, but, hey, keep the suggestions/tips coming.
Cheers mate