Business Week rankings - 2006

US top 30 The Best B-Schools of 2006 International top 10 (non-US) International Report Card

US top 30
The Best B-Schools of 2006

International top 10 (non-US)
International Report Card

thanks for the link! The Average work experience is 60 months.. ! Wonder what the average work-ex at the IIMs is now...18?

Its so interesting to see how the Americans look at work-ex in comparison to the Indians. Was reading the Harvard profile of a chap who has been in 4 different industries in 8 years..

another reason why i call BW rankings as "Bachcho Wala" rankings.

Ross ahead of Stanford, MIT, Columbia, and Haas? w00w...wonder how many will drop these schools in favor of Ross.

Duke ahead of Columbia, another w00w.

anyways, rankings need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Even scarier rankings can be found at:

Which MBA

Well I am Happy with the rankings as my FAV School i.e CHICAGO GSB is Ranked Number ONE :biggrin::xmas: !!!!!

Ya, I agree it is really utopian to think that people will prefer ROSS over STANFORD, atleast I would'nt !!!

Azeem

Which MBA

really got scared :wow:
IESE is 1st???:wow::wow:

Ivory tower is not everyone's cup of tea :satisfie:

Rankings?? How unpredictable they r?? I mean wid the wide variations between the various ranking agencies.. I think they r nothin more than jus a reference..

Its always better to find out abt an insti by person contact which i think, in the present age of internet, is not difficult at all....

let's dissect them shall we....

Fuqua has been given a A+ in all the three by the recruiters , does that mean that the students in Fuqua would be equaly satisfied by their placements.

And, if one looks at the schools in California... UCLA Anderson to be precise , the annual tution is a good 5K less than the schools in East Coast... also the median pre MBA salary is also less.... does this make the college a better bet for the students from India.( the savings in indian rupees and all that)

Would this also mean that the students who get in are in the early stages of their careers ie younger people as compared to the older students in other colleges.

What ????

and hit the link which Alwin has given in his post above, look for the sort by the educational experience and the placement service quaality

let's dissect them shall we....

Fuqua has been given a A+ in all the three by the recruiters , does that mean that the students in Fuqua would be equaly satisfied by their placements.

And, if one looks at the schools in California... UCLA Anderson to be precise , the annual tution is a good 5K less than the schools in East Coast... also the median pre MBA salary is also less.... does this make the college a better bet for the students from India.( the savings in indian rupees and all that)

Would this also mean that the students who get in are in the early stages of their careers ie younger people as compared to the older students in other colleges.

What ????

well no matter what you say, BW, USN and FT rankings are the widely used metrics(forget about the rest of the rankings folks).
So what if Ross moved ahead? a school dosen't stay ranked at the same spot forever..Stanford is losing out due to recruiters' perception of their students...but for Harvard & Wharton, BW has clearly stated in its articles that they didn't get enough data for it due to non-disclosure from these 2 schools..so Chicago ranked #1 is definitely skewed.
Columbia & Cornell are sliding too..bcos other schools are doing better things to teach their students and imrove recruitment..so nothing should be a surprise anymore..same goes for International Top 10 - the Canadian schools are doing great stuff (inlcluding Rotman where I am currently attending), so its great to see 5 Canadian schools out there.

another reason why i call BW rankings as "Bachcho Wala" rankings.

Ross ahead of Stanford, MIT, Columbia, and Haas? w00w...wonder how many will drop these schools in favor of Ross.

Duke ahead of Columbia, another w00w.

anyways, rankings need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

And no matter what you say, if you had an admit from Stanford, and Ross. you will not go to Ross.

BW editorial is widely considered to be mid-west oriented as a result you see 3 in top 5.

Dont talk about recruitment perception, when you make a cold call to Bain saying you are a Stanford MBA, you get second looks...always... Ross...oh well!

well no matter what you say, BW, USN and FT rankings are the widely used metrics(forget about the rest of the rankings folks).
So what if Ross moved ahead? a school dosen't stay ranked at the same spot forever..Stanford is losing out due to recruiters' perception of their students...but for Harvard & Wharton, BW has clearly stated in its articles that they didn't get enough data for it due to non-disclosure from these 2 schools..so Chicago ranked #1 is definitely skewed.
Columbia & Cornell are sliding too..bcos other schools are doing better things to teach their students and imrove recruitment..so nothing should be a surprise anymore..same goes for International Top 10 - the Canadian schools are doing great stuff (inlcluding Rotman where I am currently attending), so its great to see 5 Canadian schools out there.

Which MBA

Certainly scared the hell outa me...
But on a second thought - the metices explained are quite logical...

But nways, IESE # 1 makes the credibility doubtful... :(
Da Vinci Code effect or what??? 😃

Well the kind of people applying to Stanford and those applying to Ross are quite different especially Stanford is an outlier compared to the rest of the top schools. Yes I would have gone to Stanford but that shouldn't stop other schools rising up in the rankings - thats my point.

I would respectfully disagree with you on the BW comment - how can you generalize that its a mid-west bias ? I never heard of that perception before.

And no matter what you say, if you had an admit from Stanford, and Ross. you will not go to Ross.

BW editorial is widely considered to be mid-west oriented as a result you see 3 in top 5.

Dont talk about recruitment perception, when you make a cold call to Bain saying you are a Stanford MBA, you get second looks...always... Ross...oh well!

Not only Stanford, H and W as well.
You must have heard of the term "Holy Trinity".

Well the kind of people applying to Stanford and those applying to Ross are quite different especially Stanford is an outlier compared to the rest of the top schools. Yes I would have gone to Stanford but that shouldn't stop other schools rising up in the rankings - thats my point.

I have alums from all the M7 (as per BW) in my company! even from Ross.

I would respectfully disagree with you on the BW comment - how can you generalize that its a mid-west bias ? I never heard of that perception before.

Rankings might matter beyond the Top 10-15. In the Top 10-15, the differences in the opportunities with the best recruiters are marginal at best. The advantage of being in a Top 10 school are the same across all those schools:

a) studying with people who have achieved as much as you have if not more
b) learning the core and elective courses from the best faculty
c) opportunity to meet, network & interview with the best companies in all industries
d) opportunity to access the biggest, geographically spread and professionally diverse alum network.

With the exception of a few immature idiots who'll never grow up, all alumni from these schools respect (if not genuinely admire) their counterparts from other schools in the same band. Beyond graduation, an H & S will win you no more than a gasp, perhaps a first interview or impress people in a party / bar. If you manage to under-perform after that, even H & S can't help you forward.

rankings do not reflect the true trait of the school or its reputation.. IESE , Chicago getting ahead of the rest does not really matter to the recruiter or a potential serious / congizant applicant. Except that rankings are a great tool that would help the IESE s of the world to market more prominently..

Like baccardisprite mentioned, the crowd ( majority ) in the top 15- 20 schools wd more or less demostrate the same levels of intellect / emotional / executional quotients, once in a job performance and personal characterstic become the key parameter to move up n then the school becomes marginalized.

i personally feel , Prospect will still to apply to INSEAD or LBS in more numbers than IESE ( same goes for US schools )

BW , EIU .. guess next wd be FT to throw some surprise / shock

adi, as far as I know during my 8.5 years stay in US and now in Canada, EIU is not even talked about..BW, USN & FT (for those who actually have a global mindset) are the only rankings referred..don't even bother about EIU, WSJ or Forbes rankings..EIU might be more used in Europe for which I have no concrete info.

rankings do not reflect the true trait of the school or its reputation.. IESE , Chicago getting ahead of the rest does not really matter to the recruiter or a potential serious / congizant applicant. Except that rankings are a great tool that would help the IESE s of the world to market more prominently..

Like baccardisprite mentioned, the crowd ( majority ) in the top 15- 20 schools wd more or less demostrate the same levels of intellect / emotional / executional quotients, once in a job performance and personal characterstic become the key parameter to move up n then the school becomes marginalized.

i personally feel , Prospect will still to apply to INSEAD or LBS in more numbers than IESE ( same goes for US schools )

BW , EIU .. guess next wd be FT to throw some surprise / shock

my only gripe with people (those who think US = the world) in US schools who are upset when their school, ranked say 15 in US rankings, is ranked say 25 in a global ranking like FT...for some reason, they think the same US ranking should apply in FT as well; they conveniently forget that there are schools outside of US too !

quite rite..EIU has never been spoken / heard / talked about till recently ... EIU ( like FT ) looks from the global perspective & hence started getting some visibility.. whereas BW , USN are more us centric... ( who also kind of try to do international rankings .. but alas !!!).

I somehow fail to understand the methodology which these guys come up with.
with such weird rankings coming out and just to keep the debate alive... the question of the day
" Do you think the schools in some form try to influence the rankings ??? "