Bush effects on ISB

hi Guys, I wanted to discuss the effects of George bush visit on the image of ISB in the world eyes. I am sure more people would have come to know about ISB through his visit than ever before . What are zour thoughts on this ?

hi Guys,
I wanted to discuss the effects of George bush visit on the image of ISB in the world eyes. I am sure more people would have come to know about ISB through his visit than ever before .
What are zour thoughts on this ?

Unless IIMA works some magic with its PGPX program from this year... and also starts recruiting non nerds in its PGP program...
ISB is going to make mince meat out of the IIMs

This is what I am thinking atleast

K

Totally agree with Desi Guru on that one. I think the IIMs' hell-bent-ness (if that`s a word) on 99 percentile in CAT will not do it much good...at least not in the eyes of the discerning international-ist (if that`s a word).

I have been working for a coupla years now, i've been thru (a fraction of) the good and the bad aspects that professional life has to offer, i`ve dealt with all kinds of ppl...from gujju vendors to IITians, and i've sat thru the night on projects that were on fire. And then there's this kid fresh out of bcom who took three months off for CAT (while mommy and daddy took care of the world around him, so that kiddo can "concentrate on his studies"!) and went to umpteen coaching classes and managed a 99 in CAT. Now, who shows greater demonstrable aptitude as a manager? He or I? As long as ISB and IIMs offer contradictory answers to this question, the former will have visitors of the ranks of Bush and the latter will struggle with Murli manohar joshi, Arjun singh et al.

On the whole, i dont think management education or your performance as a manager requires you to be a super nerd and an ultra quant. It takes aptitude, common sense, and people skills. Did i deviate too much from the point of this thread...did i ever get close to the point at all?

On the whole, i dont think management education or your performance as a manager requires you to be a super nerd and an ultra quant. It takes aptitude, common sense, and people skills. Did i deviate too much from the point of this thread...did i ever get close to the point at all?

I think u missed the point totally. How do IIMs even come into picture?? I mean Bush goes to ISB so other places need to change their intake methods??
Ur post seems to imply that Bush went to ISB cuz it takes workex ppl and CAT is conducted by lashkar, so he hates the CAT so much, or else, since ISB take an american score, it becomes more competative

hi Guys,
I wanted to discuss the effects of George bush visit on the image of ISB in the world eyes. I am sure more people would have come to know about ISB through his visit than ever before .
What are zour thoughts on this ?

ya, it gives an instant visibility to ISB on global arena. Even ISB needs greater %age of foreign students than these levels to hv a bigger impact

Bush went to ISB because the founders of ISB are stud indians in the US... For example Ex Mckinsey Worldwide Head Rajat Gupta is one of the founding members of ISB... Many indians in the US are behind ISB and they must have done the lobbying for Bush the lowest IQed Harvard MBA ever to give another useless talk to ISB junta...

K

Bush went to ISB because the founders of ISB are stud indians in the US... For example Ex Mckinsey Worldwide Head Rajat Gupta is one of the founding members of ISB... Many indians in the US are behind ISB and they must have done the lobbying for Bush the lowest IQed Harvard MBA ever to give another useless talk to ISB junta...

K

I thought he is the most powerful man in the world, but i guess democracy renders even greater powers on DG

Indeed the lobbying theory has to be true. It was a goodwill trip, else how u make him address a bunch of CEOs at old fort and answering all BS thrown at him. In an effort to reach out to more indian youth, it was a good gesture.
How do IIMs even come into picture?? I mean Bush goes to ISB so other places need to change their intake methods??

I really hope all the above lines were meant to be funny. If they weren't, i dont think the following lines are gonna help you much either. I`ll type them out anyways.

IIMs came into picture from the previous post of desiguru where he had commented on how this move would impact the IIMs in the long term. i had explicitly pointed to that in the opening lines of my post. IIMs have also to come into the picture coz no effect has isolated consequences for competitors. Unless IIMs and ISB were operating in two entirely different realms, the rising popularity of one should ring alarm bells for the other. The competitor should, if necessary, reconsider his/her fundamental strategy itself in the light of new developments. This will probably be the first lesson if and when you go to a B-school.

None of my arguments were about WHY bush went to one and not to the other; they were about what message it sends out about either of the institutes. IIMs are older, more established, and with the lowest acceptance rates in the world...and yet not enough to give sleepless nights to B-schools and corporates abroad. Overseas placements, which should be the trademark of a world-class b-school, are exceptions at IIMs that are celebrated thru newspapers and TV channels. ISB is new and experimental, and it managed to get a Bush. It doesn`t matter to him whether people there had work ex or not, he doesn`t even need to know what the CAT is. All that an audience, in this case, Bush, will ever care about is the impact of your final product and the profile of your target audience, in this case, Rajat Guptas and the who's whos in US B-school scenario. This will probably be your second/third lesson.

Ur post seems to imply that Bush went to ISB cuz it takes workex ppl and CAT is conducted by lashkar, so he hates the CAT so much, or else, since ISB take an american score, it becomes more competative

If that`s ALL you could make out of my post...you should seriously consider the IIMs.

Common yaar!!! I dont think the Bush Visit will help ISB toooo much. No one will want to attend ISB just because Bush visited it.

Bush also visited N G Ranga Agricultural University in hyderabad. So, does it mean that N G Ranga University will have a picture in world map now and can attract students to learn Agriculture to India??

I dont see any effect that Bush visit is going to have on ISB. Rather GS CEO visited it last time and GS is sponsoring a Financial Centre of Excellence now which I call an effect of GS CEO's visit.

For some sake, can any one recollect what and all Clinton visited last time he came to India??

@nags...

I was talking in general... Its a pretty common thing now that stalwarts from abroad seem to be visiting ISB pretty often which will steal the limelight from IIMA in the end unless they make efforts to counter it...

Its not one particular visit that changes things but over a long period of time perceptions of people change when repeatedly some colleges are in the limelight for other things than just placements

Though I think with PGPX IIMA will come back with a bang

K

War b/n IIM A PGPX Vs ISB -

I was looking at this since some time...

As I am not taking my MBA in these 2 colleges I am least bothered..Any day I feel Oxford is better than these 2 for the reasons I have

Yes Oxford is better than IIM or ISB but are all Oxfords students better than the average IIM/ISB students:wink:

K

For that matter not even all Harvard students are better than Average students of ISB/IIM

And not all ISB/IIM Average students are better than Brilliant students of KSRM College MBA (Dont wonder abt this college, this is a small one in my native )

I really hope all the above lines were meant to be funny. If they weren't, i dont think the following lines are gonna help you much either. I`ll type them out anyways.

IIMs came into picture from the previous post of desiguru where he had commented on how this move would impact the IIMs in the long term. i had explicitly pointed to that in the opening lines of my post. IIMs have also to come into the picture coz no effect has isolated consequences for competitors. Unless IIMs and ISB were operating in two entirely different realms, the rising popularity of one should ring alarm bells for the other. The competitor should, if necessary, reconsider his/her fundamental strategy itself in the light of new developments. This will probably be the first lesson if and when you go to a B-school.

ISB is new and experimental, and it managed to get a Bush. It doesn`t matter to him whether people there had work ex or not, he doesn`t even need to know what the CAT is. All that an audience, in this case, Bush, will ever care about is the impact of your final product and the profile of your target audience, in this case, Rajat Guptas and the who's whos in US B-school scenario. This will probably be your second/third lesson.

ohhh la la...

Yes they r indeed in two different leagues. If they were not in different leagues, why the hell IIMs begun PGPX after 40 yrs of existence!!Its a different product for different market

PS:My 3 chaperts @B school r already done, thanks for typing them out anyways.

And then there's this kid fresh out of bcom who took three months off for CAT (while mommy and daddy took care of the world around him, so that kiddo can "concentrate on his studies"!) and went to umpteen coaching classes and managed a 99 in CAT. Now, who shows greater demonstrable aptitude as a manager? He or I?

Apperantly, u feel it infra-dig to share the class room with freshers!Or is it the work presure thats telling.
My comments r just in lighter vein, dont mind buddy.
Hows CFA going n got the calculator info??

These folks are the effects of the Bush visit to ISB
case closed:wink:

K