Broad(Michigan state) Fall 2010 Application

This thread is for all the applicants for fall 2010 for the Broad MBA,Michigan State University(MSU). Here’s my profile,in brief. GMAT -72O WE- 2 years at CSC India,currently working with an NGO(thanks to the pink slip syndrome :-P) Acade…

This thread is for all the applicants for fall 2010 for the Broad MBA,Michigan State University(MSU).
Here's my profile,in brief.
GMAT -72O
WE- 2 years at CSC India,currently working with an NGO(thanks to the pink slip syndrome :-P)
Academics- NIT,Jamshedpur(CGPA-8.63)
Extracurriculars :Freestyle rapper,composer,guitarist.Have won loads of awards and medals in sports,academics,and other fields.

Please start pouring in your profiles,views,opinions about the school ,scholarships etc.We can be of great help to each other during the application round as well as during and after the interview rounds.
Let's get goin'!

Hey dude,

U have a good profile and decent GMAT score. Not many GMAT 750+ candidate apply here; so those in 600+ stand a good chance.Specially the extracurrics can be ur wild card
IMHO, put up ur efforts in good applications which reflect your complete personality.

Good luck for ur application.

Wll..i am planning to applying to Broad as well..but not quite an exciting profile for me(GMAT-660, 4 yrs work ex, decent extra-curricular);What I am interested in knowing is how good their intake of international(read indian) students is and how flexible they are in giving out any form of financial aid.
Broad doesnt seem to be as popular among Indians as colleges such as TAMU,Vanderbilt are. So, if anyone could throw in some light on the issue of accessiblity for indians

Hey dude,

U have a good profile and decent GMAT score. Not many GMAT 750+ candidate apply here; so those in 600+ stand a good chance.Specially the extracurrics can be ur wild card
IMHO, put up ur efforts in good applications which reflect your complete personality.

Good luck for ur application.

Hi All,

Even i am planning to apply to Broad MBA for fall 2010 intake.
My profile - GMAT 650(Planning to take it again) ,5 years IT exp by fall 2010.

Great to see the thread buzzing with activity within such a short span of time.
Some opinions about Broad: Broad is a second tier college(ranks hovers around 35).The reason why I am attracted to it is the scholarships and reputation.It is quite generous in handing out scholarships.I was going through last year's thread and found that people had got quite good financial assistance and many of them were selected for in-state tuition fee at not very high GMAT scores.
So basically the ROI on MBA is quite good.Also,due to it's close proximity to Canada,people apply for internships in Toronto(not very far from there),and since the reputation of Broad is quite good ,so one has more opportunities.Btw,which other schools are you guys applying to ?

Thanks msrrautela for the useful insight.The fact that the college scores high on ROI and aid, among other areas is quite a good news.
But I am still wondering how many indians does Broad usually accomodate?
And are there any specific areas in one's profile that the college pays more attention to than others?
Well, these are some of the colleges that I would be applying to:
1.Rice
2.TAMU(Texas)
3.Davis
4.Terry
5.Vanderbilt

Great to see the thread buzzing with activity within such a short span of time.
Some opinions about Broad: Broad is a second tier college(ranks hovers around 35).The reason why I am attracted to it is the scholarships and reputation.It is quite generous in handing out scholarships.I was going through last year's thread and found that people had got quite good financial assistance and many of them were selected for in-state tuition fee at not very high GMAT scores.
So basically the ROI on MBA is quite good.Also,due to it's close proximity to Canada,people apply for internships in Toronto(not very far from there),and since the reputation of Broad is quite good ,so one has more opportunities.Btw,which other schools are you guys applying to ?

Dude,
Can you please tell me the reason for your interest in Davis?Actually,I am confused between Irvine and Davis.Will apply to one of them in R1.Would be grateful if you can throw in some insights.
Here are the colleges I'll be applying to in R1.
1.Irvine/Davis
2.Penn State
3.Michigan State
4.TAMU
Will apply to two more in R2.
1.Irvine/Davis
2.Not yet decided

Well, these are some of the colleges that I would be applying to:
1.Rice
2.TAMU(Texas)
3.Davis
4.Terry
5.Vanderbilt

I am planning to apply to

UIUC
TAMU
Broad
Terry

What do you guys think about my chances here?

See,the thing is getting through the B-schools you are targetting wouldn't be difficult with the GMAT score you have,but if you are also looking for scholarships, then a good GMAT score can help you a lot.Basically,the average GMAT score is an important factor when the colleges are ranked by different surverys,so the universities try their best to attract applicants with high GMAT scores(though a good GMAT score doesn't necessarily guarantees you a seat) and that's why they offer scholarships with better GMAT scores.And when their average GMAT score moves up,the universities move a couple of places ahead in the rankings,and hence attract more competitive applicants.So basically it's a feedback loop to improve the quality of incoming students and the reputation of the university.Anyway,when are you planning to the GMAT again? Coz the application procedure is no less time-consuming .

I am planning to apply to

UIUC
TAMU
Broad
Terry

What do you guys think about my chances here?
msrrautela Says
See,the thing is getting through the B-schools you are targetting wouldn't be difficult with the GMAT score you have,but if you are also looking for scholarships, then a good GMAT score can help you a lot.Basically,the average GMAT score is an important factor when the colleges are ranked by different surverys,so the universities try their best to attract applicants with high GMAT scores(though a good GMAT score doesn't necessarily guarantees you a seat) and that's why they offer scholarships with better GMAT scores.And when their average GMAT score moves up,the universities move a couple of places ahead in the rankings,and hence attract more competitive applicants.So basically it's a feedback loop to improve the quality of incoming students and the reputation of the university.Anyway,when are you planning to the GMAT again? Coz the application procedure is no less time-consuming .

Thanks msrrautela for your reply.Well i have taken the GMAT 3 times already 660 being the highest.Do you feel it will help me to take it one last time..Or i am better off applying with this score..I feel i have it in me to score a 700....Do let me know your thoughts.

well vigdev,
If you think u can go past 700..u should take the test again as long as the exam cost isn't a worry for you .Most of the universities accept your maximum score -so dont get bogged down by your multiple attempts. As msrrautela rightly said, a score like 660 might fetch you an admission but a good aid would still elude you.
I am planning for a retake as well and hope to increase my chances of making it to Broad and also get some decent aid in the process.

vigdev Says
Thanks msrrautela for your reply.Well i have taken the GMAT 3 times already 660 being the highest.Do you feel it will help me to take it one last time..Or i am better off applying with this score..I feel i have it in me to score a 700....Do let me know your thoughts.

@lifelike : for your question

But I am still wondering how many indians does Broad usually accomodate?

I found from their website that in a class of 108, there were 30 percent international students which comprised of students from 17 countries.
So As per the maths I can do, nor more than 2-3.

Guys...Count me in....I will be applying to MSU in the first deadline...My profile:

GMAT:700
TOEFL:104
Work Ex - 4 yrs by fall 2010 in IT
Extra Curricular - Very good.

Although, the website says that 642 in Avg GMAT. Whats the score for Indians ?

Hey fellows,
I am reapplicant and did not make it the last time since I apped at the last moment round 4. Had an interview with the adcom and they told me that I should have applied earlier. The significant improvement I wud say in my profile is the back to barclays tag. I was with lehman but when I applied to MSU I was wid a smaller company Telcordia(although does good work with Telcom). I know it will be a hard task to justify my reaping but I'll try my best.
Looking forward to more discussions on the application.

anyone here who's a reapplicant ?????

I quite didnt understand how your chances of getting in were jeopardized by applying late. Pardon my ignorance

@ ilive_GMAT

Telcodia is not that small a company, like you i also left Huawei went to Ericsson then came back again to Huawei (my work is hard core telecomm - non IT/ non commerece).
I believe that you can justify your comming back to old company by saying that your old employeer realize your potential and thus called you back, moreover try this case to market your PR skills, that you left your company on good terms, and maintain + ve relations in the industry, thus you were called back.

I hope it will help.

Regards
Ayon

Hi Guys

Need your help, here are my stats, 690 GMAT, 6 AWA, Graduation St. Stephens, DU, BA PASS, 3.5 years work ex(at time of joining), one year social service work ex. working for the biggest out of home media company in India as part of sales..want to understand what kind of scholarships can one expect, and how good is MSU in marketing..

await your revert

regards,

Satyameet

@ satyameet.

As far as my knowledge goes, Broad Marketing is a good program. Broad is known for SCM. but marketing is it's 2nd best course.

Hi folks,

First of all Best Wishes to one and all for the ongoing festive season

I am also a prospective applicant to MSU-Broad full time MBA program (Fall 2010) and am targeting Round 1 deadline :banghead:.

Profile Snapshot :
-----------------
GMAT: 710 (QA:50 VA:36)
Yrs of Exp.: 3 years (Telecommunication R&D; Services)
Undergrad (B. Tech. Comp Sci) CGPA: 9.11/10
12th: 76%
10th: 83.5%
EC & Community Service: okay

Target Concentration: Marketing and Strategy

As the deadline is round the corner i presume most of us are busy with the applications. I had few doubts, would appreciate if someone can clarify them:

Q1> As per the MSU-Broad website it seems one can ask for a TOEFL waiver. Can anyone enlighten me the procedure to request for a waiver?

Q2> Does the Recommendation letter has specific questions to be answered or is it a generic one?

Q3> It seems we are required to courier some supporting documents and the mail should reach before the deadline!! What all docs are needed to be couriered?

Cheers!
-rambler