Books for CAT preparation

Hi, I need to know from which books I shud start my CAT prepartion. Please quote books for various section QA, VA, DI and RC. Note: Please don’t post books if you are not sure and don’t scarp unnecessary things. Hope that would be easier…

Hi,
I need to know from which books I shud start my CAT prepartion. Please quote books for various section QA, VA, DI and RC.

Note: Please don't post books if you are not sure and don't scarp unnecessary things. Hope that would be easier for other newbies too.

I m sorry if such thread already exist but it was quite cumbersome to search and find suitable thread containing books on various sections. If other such thread containing books exist please make it sticky.

thanks in advance.

for Quant go fo Arun Sharma..fabulous Book with a good standard of questions both in terms of quantity and quality ..go for it..

Hi,
I need to know from which books I shud start my CAT prepartion. Please quote books for various section QA, VA, DI and RC.

Note: Please don't post books if you are not sure and don't scarp unnecessary things. Hope that would be easier for other newbies too.

I m sorry if such thread already exist but it was quite cumbersome to search and find suitable thread containing books on various sections. If other such thread containing books exist please make it sticky.

thanks in advance.

although its quiet a bit late here it is..This is from hanoz (IIMA PGP 1) regarding what books to follow..hope it helps..

Shakuntala Devi's Puzzles to Puzzle you (also more puzzles to puzzle you if you're really interested)

Olympiad Geometric Formulae (that's not the title of a book, don't remember the title, but it's a thin red book, available in Delhi, with some cool Olympiad problems, not that you'll be getting these questions, just that there are some fundu shortcuts and concepts in it. The geometry problems are really very good.

Oswald's CAT papers (old cat papers)

Most of the Coaching classes' tests (they keep cogging most of the questions from each other, or from old CAT / other papers or from their own old papers)

That should be more than enough for quant.

For English : Dunno, just keep a habit of reading fast. I had the habit, didn't prepare anything for CAT. Also, I'd given GRE to brush up vocab. Managed to do decently well. ... though vocab not VERY helpful in CAT

For DI : Practice, practice, practice and more practice. You might want to try Bank Probationary Officers' tests' DI type questions (if you have the time and inclination)

RULE # 1 : Attempt as many as you can
RULE # 2 : Don't make mistakes

...Hanoz

hi guys

this is my list and here goes.

VA-any coaching insti. wordlist book,Wren and Martin for Grammar
RC-any kinda book (fiction,nonfiction,philosophy).the key word here is more and more reading
QA-RS agrawal,Arun sharma
DI,DS,LR-more and more practice and any insti.s material would suffice.

Do get in touch abt. this

The Greatest Mad

hi guys,

I started from Norman Lewis- Word Power Made Easy. Its is very good vacab book in case u r not the ghotu type of guy.

For Analytical , i solve Quantitave Aptitude-R. S. Agrawal

For Logical, Shkuntala Devi Ki jay ho.
Puzzles- George summers is very good too.

For verbal again R. S. Agrawal.

If i m right plzz help me and if not plz hlp me again.

Hi all!
Does any one has subscription for management compass magazine?? If yes, then can sm1 upload the gk stuff of that magazine....
thanx
Priyanka

Hi all!
Does any one has subscription for management compass magazine?? If yes, then can sm1 upload the gk stuff of that magazine....
thanx
Priyanka

hi well i do have the managment compass magazine and will try to upload the gk of stuff of the magzine if it is permitted by the mods.i guess it will be permitted cuz there is no copyright on gk questions be it any intitute or whatever.i will post them here asap.
regards
sameer

hi
here are few questions from the gk section of the mag. i am not posting the options and will post the answers after a week.though i could have made this post in the quiz section but on the request of priyanaka i m doin it here.

1.what is the minimum age required to be the President of india
2.founder of buddhism gautama died at...
3.you would associate the contruction of red fort ,&jama; massjid with
4.the capital of daman and dui is
5.the third battle of panipat was fought in the year...
6.irulas are the inhibitants of..
7.seato is headquatered at.....
8.which of the foloowing schedule deals with anti defection act...
9.gernada is an island nation situated in
10.this rives is the shortest of the world....
11.the great wall of china was built under wich dynasty
12.herring pond is the sobriquet(nickname) used for
13.united nations was established in
14who said releigion is the opium of ppl...
15.a normal human being has .....chromosomes in all
16.the pesonality as knows as father of geometry....
17.ibn batuta visited india under the reign of
18.you would assocaite the theory of lasseiz faire with....
19.tge first recipent of dada sahib phalke award was....
20.adult franchise was introduced in india in the year....

there were 50 questions.20 are here 20 i will post later.till then buhbye
regards
sameer

i went through the book by Arun Sharma as well. However , i do get stuck a few times because the answers for the LOD1 are not provided , and the answers to the real tough questions of LOD2 are not provided either. Is there someone else in the same boat as mine? Is there a thread or can we create a thread where we can discuss only questions from this Book by Arun Sharma ? Do u think this idea is too far-fetched?
rajkiranonline Says
i went through the book by Arun Sharma as well. However , i do get stuck a few times because the answers for the LOD1 are not provided , and the answers to the real tough questions of LOD2 are not provided either. Is there someone else in the same boat as mine? Is there a thread or can we create a thread where we can discuss only questions from this Book by Arun Sharma ? Do u think this idea is too far-fetched?

well i wud lik to discuss.tell me wht all units u ve done???
lost perky guy Says
well i wud lik to discuss.tell me wht all units u ve done???

me too likewise. count me in too.

Cool! Nice to see many are interested. I have covered about 10 chapters completely. I have a few problems unsolved in the Probability and Permutations n Combinations chapter. Where are u guys getting stuck up? Can we exchange yahoo messenger ids so that we could discuss better ? , if there are only a few of us that is?

Hey can anyone suggest me a book for Vedic Mathematics.

Really great, can u give me ur yahoo messenger id and time slot when ur free, i need to get clear some of my doubts in Arun sharma.

Hi Guys,

I have also completed some chapters of Arun Sharma.
So, shall we start a new thread where we take this book chapter by chapter. 2-3 days for a chapter ???

Thanks & Regards,
Shekhar.

hey raj.....

even i wud love to discuss Arun Sharma's book...i get stuck too many times.....

but i suggest that we start discussng it in the Quantitative Answers forum...that'd be the best place to start......this is the prep resources forum......

what say?

roshi.....

rajkiranonline Says

I will recomend English is Easy by Banking service cronicle
amazing book also ARUN sharma is The best for CAT
if u want to crack CET make sure u devote sometime to RS agarwal reasoning also

ATB

cosmicpulse Says
Hey can anyone suggest me a book for Vedic Mathematics.
i follow a book called Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics and i think it is very good

hi ,
i have written 5 Major MBA exams this year..I am awaiting the final results of IIT DELHI and IIT kharagpur -VGSOm...I would like to share some of the GYAAN i got while preparing for 18 months...

here are some of the books taht might prove helpful....

VOCAB:
1.norman lewis
2.IMS material wordlist- BRM
3.barron's wordlists.

For RC try reading as many novels as you can and make note of the tough words in them.In fact books by DAN brown has many words that come in BARRONS........try improving the reading speed to about 350 wpm......

QUANTS:
1.arun sharma
2.Trishna's book by TIME

DI:
1.arun sharma has a book for DI as well with lots of exercises.....

GK:
1.try reading the newspapaers. i know thats not easy ....
2.TIME AND IMS have their respective magazines with about 100 GK questions each ,onth
GK proves helpful only for exams like IIFT,SNAP and MAT .......but GK is a scoring area where one can boost speed too...

ok all the best
try doing the material of TIME and IMS... i might join u guys in the prep if i dont convert....
i have shared what i knew....

we can start a thread for shortcuts too. i have a list of 60-70 shortcuts .. i can post them if needed
karthik