Better to be a Software Developer/ Consultant?

Hi, I am a 2010 passout Computer Engg and working as a software developer with a major software product company since 3 months. I want to pursue MBA from a foreign university. I want to know what difference does it make if u have work ex…

Hi,

I am a 2010 passout Computer Engg and working as a software developer with a major software product company since 3 months. I want to pursue MBA from a foreign university.

I want to know what difference does it make if u have work ex in a software company or in management consulting firm in term of ur chances to make it a top notch b-school??? and a big firm or a startup???

what are the other things they look for in a candidate???

Does experience as a software developer helps after MBA if u r no more associated with an IT company???

I am just fine with coding stuff but consultant job seems cool...Also I am not sure if the work would really excite me if I switch...I don't want to end up thinking that I have made a wrong decision.

Is it possible to switch to consultant firms after 1-2 years of experience in soft development, i mean do they give any preference to such guys??

Hmmm...Seems like this is going to be a pretty long reply...Allow me to be blunt here. Apologies if I sound a bit harsh.
Someone asked the same question at an MBA fair I had gone to recently.
And guess what the MBA Admissions Committee Director of that college said..."IT DOESN'T MATTER...We know what's what".

In the beginning years of your work ex, the standard of work you do as a junior analyst in a consulting firm is just as pointless as a software coding job from an MBA perspective. You'll be working against deadlines, filling checklists and tweaking excel sheets...Every MBA adcom knows this fact, so in the beginning any profile (unless stellar) wont add much value. But the catch is that this stage is required for everybody to actually understand why you do these things later as an MBA...

Sure, it shouldn't be hard for you to realize that if you want to go for a Consulting profile post MBA (that seems to be the buzz word these days), then your previous consulting work ex will definitely more add value than a software job. But if you want to end up in IT management or IT Business Analysis or IT Consulting, then your previous IT work ex will count. So u might see where I'm going with this.

I understand the typical Indian mindset of doing an MBA for the sake of it, and then letting the chips fall where they may. Hey, I was in the same place as you are. But, MBA is a path to where you want to be. So, please don't target your job function and field based on its chances of fetching u an MBA seat. Rather, make it the other way around.

I feel that in the beginning stages, u might not even know what a consulting job entails. I haven't been able to grasp it entirely even now. But if you have done your homework, then I would suggest you move over to consulting if you like the work there. Otherwise, continue with ur IT job. If you like it here, then stick to IT (trust me, IT has its advantages. Tertiary sector so less risk, 5 days a week cool job if it's an Infy/Wipro/TCS etc etc). If not, you can always jump to a junior consulting profile later if you don't like what you are doing.

I think you'd want to map your MBA ambitions after a couple of yrs work ex and then evaluate where you want to be.
Tweak this roadmap in which ever direction you find comfort is what I would say...

Good luck

Consulting software engineers typically monitor the working practices of the construction team, as well as ensuring that the software under development most closely meets the needs of the customer.

Hmmm...Seems like this is going to be a pretty long reply...Allow me to be blunt here. Apologies if I sound a bit harsh.
Someone asked the same question at an MBA fair I had gone to recently.
And guess what the MBA Admissions Committee Director of that college said..."IT DOESN'T MATTER...We know what's what".

In the beginning years of your work ex, the standard of work you do as a junior analyst in a consulting firm is just as pointless as a software coding job from an MBA perspective. You'll be working against deadlines, filling checklists and tweaking excel sheets...Every MBA adcom knows this fact, so in the beginning any profile (unless stellar) wont add much value. But the catch is that this stage is required for everybody to actually understand why you do these things later as an MBA...

Sure, it shouldn't be hard for you to realize that if you want to go for a Consulting profile post MBA (that seems to be the buzz word these days), then your previous consulting work ex will definitely more add value than a software job. But if you want to end up in IT management or IT Business Analysis or IT Consulting, then your previous IT work ex will count. So u might see where I'm going with this.

I understand the typical Indian mindset of doing an MBA for the sake of it, and then letting the chips fall where they may. Hey, I was in the same place as you are. But, MBA is a path to where you want to be. So, please don't target your job function and field based on its chances of fetching u an MBA seat. Rather, make it the other way around.

I feel that in the beginning stages, u might not even know what a consulting job entails. I haven't been able to grasp it entirely even now. But if you have done your homework, then I would suggest you move over to consulting if you like the work there. Otherwise, continue with ur IT job. If you like it here, then stick to IT (trust me, IT has its advantages. Tertiary sector so less risk, 5 days a week cool job if it's an Infy/Wipro/TCS etc etc). If not, you can always jump to a junior consulting profile later if you don't like what you are doing.

I think you'd want to map your MBA ambitions after a couple of yrs work ex and then evaluate where you want to be.
Tweak this roadmap in which ever direction you find comfort is what I would say...

Good luck

@checkEETS:
Thankx a lot...I think i got the point u were trying to make :)
BTW I hv quit my "lucrative" job and will be soon joining a medium sized management consulting firm.
Thanx again..

This is Richa Bhargava, i am the director of source code treasure which is the india's leading software development company with a unique reputation as mobile application development company in india. we have good experience in developing mobile apps and already built amazing application for well known telecom company "Samsung". This is 2014 the mobile world, every one is has mobile and people uses social networking sites and some of these uses this device for internet surfing. The no. 1 search engine google has also changed its algo and considering mobile searches on the base of pid and that is the reason people are creating responsive website. So if you are a company who want to change your website from normal to responsive or a student who wants to learn then you is welcome to join us.