Bad personal experience at Sydenham Institute of Management

All CET aspirants Before all of those planning to join Sydenham this year prop up, there is a part of my college which all should know. Coming again I want to list down some things about Sydenham which have really never come out in the o…

All CET aspirants

Before all of those planning to join Sydenham this year prop up, there is a part of my college which all should know. Coming again I want to list down some things about Sydenham which have really never come out in the open. I am an engineer who joined Sydenham with great expectations. I missed Jamnalal by some odd 5 marks but was happy with what some used to call the 2nd most popular choice, well if there is anything to go by my experience, it turned out to be not so really pleasant exp.

I list down some points here which are going to nail down on a lot of deciding factors

i) Sydenham has the worst college timings ever. Being a government college, all these lectures are arranged by us students, which affects a lot, especially for people not staying close to sydenham. Lectures at 7 pm, 10 pm.no lectures in the day.horrible I must say. The faculty is 100 % visting, and hence we have to cater to their time.

ii) The infrastructure is just pathetic for management education. And all this talk of improving infrastructure is all bull shit, going on from the time I joined and passed out. Education, ho hum, Mumbai University, what people study at Chetna or Dalmiya, even I studied the same. As a serious study guy , I had little to study and more to merry. Exams, blah, again the same old examination method, study past 5 years papers and you are through MBA.

iii) Placement facts at Sydenham- No oneI repeat no one knows what the real Placement figures are except for the placement committee. The truth for this year is they say highest package is 20 lacs, that, guys is for a guy with over 8 years of experience and not a 1 year but on a 3 year contract, yes, 3 years for 20 lacs, that's around 6.6 lacs per annum. The placement committee has a few members who in the lack of faculty support play with our career. Their friends get the best packages, need I say more. Did anyone say that 8 people in the batch have not been placed till date? Out of these 8 I know 3 are engineers. And please do not expect great profiles to start with. Many of the companies that come to our college come to every other college in Mumbai, the profile and packages are same.

iv) The alumni support is just pathetic, few alumni even care to be associated or r even proud to be associated with us, some who do support are treated badly by the juniors themselves.

v) Everything is done by students (now don't tell me this is learning, I have learnt nothing but seeing vested interests)

vi) How much does it take for a website in 2007? We had a media committee, which just keeps giving excuses for why do we need a website? Boss why do we need a Media committee then, shut up and study.

vii) Our director, P V Dabli is another very big contributor to the sydenham fiasco. All that has happened is students fighting for things to get done, and nothing comes out for years.

Some good points-
i) It's a good brand in western India, especially Mumbai, but has gone down badly
ii) Students, thinking , Sydenham is well managed just join blindly.
iii) Location as Mumbai.

But fairly, if anyone asks me today, was I ever happy with my choice? No I was not, neither will I ever advise anyone in my family to join. Simply, I cannot tell anyone to rsik ones career. I say this because I have suffered already and with the way some of my college friends are promoting Sydenham as, sorry, its not really worth that credential. I know after this post, all my college friends would want to come and save this onslaught, but what is true has to come out one day or the other.

The truth for me is , I made a bad choice and I have paid for that, being an engineer and a CET top 60 scorere, I have paid an even bigger for the choice I madeto settle for the stupid company I m working in today.

Do not take this as an attempt to bash, after going through this thread of sydenham, I had to speak out what I felt and warn everyone.

I wanted these things to come out....
Thanks bro...
My roomie last year left sydenham for the same reasons u have listed down....
i got frustated within one month..
thanks fully he got a good job....

thsi post was an eyeopener......

@radison

It takes a lot of guts to post abt ones college out in the open.
Just for confirmation and to avoid any allegations against u , i would advise u to post ur Class and Roll No. .
There would be doubters and ppl looking to pick a fight , so just avoid it :).

Regards
Revant

All CET aspirants

Before all of those planning to join Sydenham this year prop up, there is a part of my college which all should know. Coming again I want to list down some things about Sydenham which have really never come out in the open. I am an engineer who joined Sydenham with great expectations. I missed Jamnalal by some odd 5 marks but was happy with what some used to call the 2nd most popular choice, well if there is anything to go by my experience, it turned out to be not so really pleasant exp.

I list down some points here which are going to nail down on a lot of deciding factors

i) Sydenham has the worst college timings ever. Being a government college, all these lectures are arranged by us students, which affects a lot, especially for people not staying close to sydenham. Lectures at 7 pm, 10 pm.no lectures in the day.horrible I must say. The faculty is 100 % visting, and hence we have to cater to their time.

ii) The infrastructure is just pathetic for management education. And all this talk of improving infrastructure is all bull shit, going on from the time I joined and passed out. Education, ho hum, Mumbai University, what people study at Chetna or Dalmiya, even I studied the same. As a serious study guy , I had little to study and more to merry. Exams, blah, again the same old examination method, study past 5 years papers and you are through MBA.

iii) Placement facts at Sydenham- No oneI repeat no one knows what the real Placement figures are except for the placement committee. The truth for this year is they say highest package is 20 lacs, that, guys is for a guy with over 8 years of experience and not a 1 year but on a 3 year contract, yes, 3 years for 20 lacs, that's around 6.6 lacs per annum. The placement committee has a few members who in the lack of faculty support play with our career. Their friends get the best packages, need I say more. Did anyone say that 8 people in the batch have not been placed till date? Out of these 8 I know 3 are engineers. And please do not expect great profiles to start with. Many of the companies that come to our college come to every other college in Mumbai, the profile and packages are same.

iv) The alumni support is just pathetic, few alumni even care to be associated or r even proud to be associated with us, some who do support are treated badly by the juniors themselves.

v) Everything is done by students (now don't tell me this is learning, I have learnt nothing but seeing vested interests)

vi) How much does it take for a website in 2007? We had a media committee, which just keeps giving excuses for why do we need a website? Boss why do we need a Media committee then, shut up and study.

vii) Our director, P V Dabli is another very big contributor to the sydenham fiasco. All that has happened is students fighting for things to get done, and nothing comes out for years.

Some good points-
i) It's a good brand in western India, especially Mumbai, but has gone down badly
iii) Location as Mumbai.

But fairly, if anyone asks me today, was I ever happy with my choice? No I was not, neither will I ever advise anyone in my family to join. Simply, I cannot tell anyone to rsik ones career. I say this because I have suffered already and with the way some of my college friends are promoting Sydenham as, sorry, its not really worth that credential. I know after this post, all my college friends would want to come and save this onslaught, but what is true has to come out one day or the other.

The truth for me is , I made a bad choice and I have paid for that, being an engineer and a CET top 60 scorere, I have paid an even bigger for the choice I madeto settle for the stupid company I m working in today.

Do not take this as an attempt to bash, after going through this thread of sydenham, I had to speak out what I felt and warn everyone.

Hey wot ur saying dude????it is simply contradictn to wot Mt Ashutosh is putting everywhere...Orkut..Here in everythread related to CET???
OoooooooHhhhhhhh.........its really pathetic..dis informatn may b genuine s u hav gone thru dat system.....and nt d contestant competing for d Sydenham..otherwise one can feel dat ur playng a game to restructure d mindset f sydenham aspirants and making way for urself.......
HEy Ashutosh and sydenham seniors,plz post correct informatn yaar..Plz keep in mind d career f candidates rather den the prestige f institute.Its n humble request....

Regards
Nisha

Your seemingly frank opinions are appreciated.

Yet to ensure that this post is not written in prejudice, I will have to put you to strict proof.

Please PM me proof that you are indeed a Sydenham student by 5 pm today or else I will have to delete all your posts. Your identity shall remain confidential with us and that is our word.

Please take this seriously.

- Editor

Hehehehe, we can sense beginning of yet another best or worst discussion. But just in an effort to put restrain I wud say the words and remarks used by the starter are too harsh and suffer from a biased state of mind he could have been at the time of posting , but then to all puys I'll like to remind again the simple law of choosing best from the available options. An thus comparing MBA from any ABC school with the other options in hand could be of real help, but there's always people thinking MBA as a solution to all their past problems and simple word of being associated to management becoming a prosperity forever ...........So when you will re-asses the entire situation, limitation and constrains with the given reality and availability of limited colleges (and certainly even candidates) then at least it will look more practical if not miserable.
Please accept the fact that all these so called b skools provide a lateral approach to one's desired career and thus can create acceleration with both positive or negative sign attached to it .........Afterall all I guess all admissions are voluntary even today. ..........which must be a reason enough to stop blaming!
Ya but the courage to bring reality n that to under all over spread phenomenon of fighting for "My skool is the best tag" is really commendable. And once again younger puys must realize the necessity to do a thorough inspection as this decision accounts for a heavy investment and making or loosing two crucial years for anybody.
Confirm ur mettle and go for the most suitable institute among the final offers at available, with keeping null always in option set .......... They say na..........there's nothing like free lunches......
Regards
Andy
P.S. anyways I share agony with the starter:)
All CET aspirants

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

wot u saying mate??
if what u said is true, then surely its a eye-opener for all the cet aspirants..
i mean frm what i have heard Sydenham is always No.2 after JB.
and after hearing this i m very dissapointed..
so till the the Syd seniors dont' comment here, we should not make any opinions abt the inst.

@radioson@pro vbmenu_register("postmenu_797634", true);

Well well, thats some guts u hv shown man.
I really appreciate this.

As for ur identity confirmation the best thing would be to tell the mods rather than posting here.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_797677", true);

All CET aspirants

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

" Indians are an argumentative people .If public reasoning is central to a democracy, India can be proud of its distinguished heritage" - Amartya Sen
I thank radioson for giving me an opportunity to put what I believe as a Sydenamite. What is truth ,I believe, each one of here is mature enough to know how to find out.
SIMSREE is bang outside Churchgate station and at stone's throw away from Nariman Point, the hothouse of economic activity in India. SIMSREE is surrounded by a corporate offices of host of business houses Bombay Stock Exchange ,Indian Merchants Chamber (just to share with you sydenamites get invitation for every program held by IMC) , Tea Board Of India .. You name a big shot corporate entity and highest probability of finding it is in the vicinity of Sydenham. This results in the most eminent , efficient and distinguished faculty , the who's who of the corporate world. Sample some of the names : Mohan Krishnan from IMRB, H.P. Ranina, on the board of the Reserve Bank of India and the list is countless. Not every college is fortunate enough to have CTO's, CIO's, General managers as faculty.
Since I am a student of simsree let me tell you something which you may never come to know in media. There are a more than 50 students from IIM's who had to come down to Churchgate (yes at GCH hostel where Sydenham Students are allotted hostel rooms) for their Summers all the way from Calcutta, Kozikode. . that's a reflection of corporate significance of Sydenamites's dwelling place!
Unfortunately Sydenham traditionally had been giving more emphasis on INTELLECTUAL Infrasturcture sidelining physical Infra issues. " But Better Late Than Never " Sydenham has realized it needed to rethink . And the GOOD NEWS is that poor Infrasturucture of Sydenham has become a past. I invite every Doubting Thomas to visit campus to see for himself the Infrasturcture Turnaround Sydenham is currently having. Though it must be remembered it is not feasible for a sprawling infra like that IIMA or IIMB at Churchgate / Nariman Point. So if u expect that, you may be heading for a disappointment(Trust me even corporate houses think Twice about impact of cost of Hiring a space at Nariman Point on their balance sheets)
Before commenting on Placements and placement Committee let me share a fact . Placement committee is elected by Students in a democratic and transparent way. Not only placement committee but all other committee's have to face periodic reviews (if Students are not satisfied a Placecom member just has to live the responsibility); I believe their cannot be any better way of accountability.( Though suggestions are invited)
Sydenham is proud of its Glorious alumni. I can forward you hundred's of links on net giving testimony to sydenham Alumni reaching places. And most Important every sydenamite is allocated an alumnus as mentor . these mentors act as eyes for Sydenamites into corporate world.
Yes this point is true. Students here enjoy utmost autonomy. Students decide Faculty .
Exam dates , functions are finalized in consultation with students . Well in management theory they call this EMPOWERMENT
And now the most IMPORTANT and The LATEST thing about Sydenham. Mr. Dabli is no more director of SIMSREE. Just this Monday , Sydenham held a welcome ceremony for new Director, Dr. Khan. The first thing Dr. Khan has assured is his full fledged support and a accelerating push required to speed things up like the website issue and the infra renovation being done.
:

wat about the lecture timings and absence of any permanent faculty??

Dear All,
Its been some time now that I have posted on this forum, primary reason being the official position I held in my institute refrained me from doing so.
I am Rohan Karkare, Placement coordinator, Sydenham Institute of management.
It's unfortunate that I have to post on this forum at such a time. But I guess its my responsibility as a coordinator of college and as member of forum to clear doubts which have been created in your minds. I have been through the phase you all are in and I fully understand anxiety caused due to ridiculous threads like these. And that's why this post. It should also be noted that lot og issues have been discussed abt sydenham before and I have not been party to it, it only that this thread makes reffrence to placement committee and gives false information about placement status tht forces me to interfere.
I would like to make it clear tht when sydenham claims average package of xyz, not all students get same package and its few like the ones who created this thread find themselves loosers. Unfortunately instead of introspecting they put blame on institute! They forget that same institute has students who have got 10 lac packages too! Anyway I think its best to leave them alone, as they are habitual offenders. Am sure he will have same opinions of organization he joins and even then he will only voice them when he leaves it!
I don't see this as act of courage but absolute cowardice as if someone was so pissed with insti, I don't see reason for him to stay there two years in first place!
If you check my older posts you will note I had myself taken up admission at welingkars, which I then left for sydenham. Nothing against that insti, its good college, but it was my personal choice and I can say with full conviction it was right choice I made.
Anyway all I can state is information on placement status and committee posted in this thread is false. Being coordinator for second consecutive year, you can take my word as nothing less than official.
Also the allegations about lectures not being conducted are ridiculous!
I guess companies like IBM, Infosys haven't lost their brains yet so select students and pay 10 Lac package to students who have no knowledge.
Its sad people don't get to learn in spite of this being student driven college. May be because they spend all there time critisiing insti rather than doing anything for it. All the committees are elected through democratic process of election in institute. This gentleman surely was either in capable of not interested in working for any of committees and found it better to criticize them instead.
I would suggest all aspirants to calm your nerves and gets all facts in place before taking any decision. Please do not take comments on face value.
For more information please PM me your contact details (as I cant post mine here due to forum rules) and I will get back to you to give you most accurate information. That might help you to make informed choice.
And ultimately it will be up to you to decide whom to trust, someone whom 120 corporate HR's and 120 students put there trust in, or someone who is so hurt by his personal failure in life that he chooses to provide false information and ruin peoples carreers just become he himself could do much with his life.
Looking forward to all your queries while remaining
Yours sincerely,
Rohan karkare
Placement coordinator
PGDBM 06-08
Sydenham Institute of Management
P.S: Between if some is wondering why this strange sign in name, its my Academy number at Indian Military Academy, Dehradun where I completed my basic military training from.
Thought it would help you check on my credntialsThanks.
Hi guys I just want to clarify some things.
Hmmm..Well yes we do have lectures @ 7pm. When you want good professors to come in and teach you should be able to sacrifice on timings. All lectures are arranged by us students. So we can pick who we want to come in and teach us. We also decide who we want not to come. Sometimes a very good professor has free time in the evenings or on Sundays. We wont let him go just because we have to make a few changes in our schedule or a bunch of people have a problem coming to college. And I have never heard of any one taking a lecture @ 10pm.
About the infrastructure it has always been out in the open that we are indeed lagging and thus work is being done on the same. I'll put through a few photos when I can of the way the college looks now as compared to a year ago.
And as regards MMS course what you study in MMS is standard. The profs have control on changing the course content which they exercise from time to time.
Well so you don't like the placecom. Whatever figures we have posted here are official. And this BS regarding friends of placecom members getting the best packages is exactly that BullShite. Guys get placed according to their caliber. And as regards 8 people not getting placed. Well every year we have some students who want a particular company or a particular profile or a particular package. They sit for very few cos and eventually either miss out or opt out. I don't think the institute should be blamed for that.
Well I don't understand you saying we have pathetic Alumni relations. We had an Alumni meet last year. We will have another one this year. We have Alumni as profs. We have a mentoring process in which each student is allotted an Alumni as a mentor. Pathetic I don't know if you know what that means really.
Well this is learning. You learn how to take initiative, to handle different things independantly.
Ok. So you hated the media committee as well. Well as I have explained before getting approvals in a Govt. institute take time and thus the website is taking a bit of time. In the meanwhile we students are here in Pagalguy to give all aspirants info about the institute. And we don't get paid for doing this. And we also need the media committe to react to irresponsible people like you.
I'd rather not comment on this. We have a new Director Dr. M.A. Khan who has taken charge recently.
Well as for you getting placed in a bad company what can I say. You hate your alma mater you hate your colleagues you hate your company. Maybe you should think that the reason you got placed in bad co had something to do with you. Maybe it was your attitude or your skill sets (or lack there of) or your acads. And this sensational post of yours is brilliant at exactly that - sensationalism. Maybe you should look to add a bit more truth to it.
NAZIF TEJANI
MMS 2006-08
Sydenham MMS
Media Committee
First of all, everyone seems to be ready to jump on the bandwagon and thank radioson for speaking the "truth". All that has been posted here is a rant by a frustrated soul, conjecture based on hazy "facts" and personal opinion. Now, everyone is free to have their own opinions, and if radioson is genuine and is frustrated with his experience of Sydenham, I'm sorry about that, but please remember that it's just the opinion of one single student from many. Who knows what the source of this frustration is. Seems like it's a personal grudge against the college which is manifesting itself in cooked up crap.. Anyway, all I can do is counter the so called facts.
radioson@pro Says
All CET aspirants

College timings are 8 am to 8 pm. This is a b-school. Cope with it. I have friends who travel all the way from Belapur and Dombivali, and it is difficult for them (I myself have to travel for 3 hours a day), but is b-school supposed to be easy? In return for the travelling and uneven timings, we get faculty which is 100% from the industry, not cloistered academics who have theoritical knowledge and no idea what's going on in the world. We get people like HP Ranina to teach us taxation, we get top practising chartered accountants and lawyers and top financial managers and HR managers. The ones who are too busy to come as faculty, we manage to snare as guest lecturers. We also get prepared for the 16 hour days that are common in modern corporate life.

Infrastructure is currently being updated, and it'll be much better from the coming semester. Nobody has actually claimed that Sydenham has good infra. It has been one of the big problems with the college so far, and even the upgrade will not take it into the league of the shiny air conditioned new private colleges. But then again, ask yourself why you wish to go to a b-school. Would you rather go to a lower ranked college for AC classrooms or to a place like Sydenham to get quality education and excellent placements? And like I said earlier, expect much better infra from this sem on.
Your second point is a bit muddled. What do you mean by "study serious guy" and "time to merry"? If you're serious about value addition and studying, Sydenham has an excellent library which is also open from 8 to 8. It's updated very frequently with books that students themselves can request, and if you were actually a "study-serious" guy, you would've spent more time there updating your knowledge rather than "merrying" or whatever the hell you were doing. I see that you have probably wasted a lot of time, and seem to be reaping the fruits of that with your placement. Please don't blame your college. The college doesn't educate you. It's a student's responsibility to make sure he gets educated. The college can just enable it. Sydenham does that well-enough.

I will let someone from the placement committee handle this one in detail, but let me say one thing about these "facts". The placement committee works through the year to get companies on campus. They do not take interviews or do not place students. The company has a whole field of 120 students to choose from, and they pick the people they like. Do you think a student, even a member of the placement committee, can ensure best jobs for their friends? Would any company listen to a student about who to hire? Yet another ridiculous "fact" that people should really think a little before believing...

Alumni support is an issue that the current batch is working very hard to deal with. Agreed that it could be better, and this is an issue that has been raised and is being worked on very hard. The primary problem is that the database needs to be updated, and it is being done on a war-footing now. Even though it could be better, I would not call it "pathetic". We have got support from alumni in good positions who get their companies on campus. We also have started an e-magazine which is sent out to alumni every fortnight, and it has so far received a lot of plaudits. So again, things are getting better, being done by proactive students who are getting down to solving their college's few problems (which always exist within any college) rather than just ranting on online message boards.

How is this a negative point? Again, this is a b-school. Do you want to be spoonfed everything at this point in your life, sleepwalk through two years and end up with a paper degree or do you actually want to learn how things work, how to manage and actually get things done? Sydenham gives you an education precisely because it expects you to be proactive and expects you to care about your own learning. There is no spoonfeeding, and you can waste your time here, just like at any other b-school, learning nothing, or you can be someone who takes part in the college activities and in bettering the college, learning much more than what a textbook can give you in the process. Even the "vested interests" that you talk about are a part of it. There is politics in every sphere of life. Sydenham actually is a microcosm of the world, not a closed off, sanitised environment like most other b-schools, and it gives you invaluable training in how the world actually works.

The website is a bit of a thorny issue.. Being a government college, there are some constraints that we have to work in. Bureaucracy can sometimes delay things that are very essential. However, we now have a new director and new administration, and this is another issue that is to be taken up on a war footing. Expect major changes to the website within some time.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, we have a new director now. I will not comment on the old administration because it is now irrelevant.

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

These are very important good points that are just a few out of many. Sydenham is a very good brand and with the copycat b-schools coming out in their thousands every year, this is a very important factor. The location is not just Mumbai but Sydenham is located in the heart of Mumbai's commercial centre and this is an important factor in maintaining the link with the industry, most of which is located next door. This is another reason why we get great faculty who manage to come to teach us as we're close to their offices. We're also located next to the IMC, and we've supported them in organizing numerous functions which improve our industry interaction.
One major plus for Sydenham is the quality of students here. We get a batch of people who've just missed out on JB by a little bit (like, supposedly, the original poster here), but there is the basic raw material and quality there already. Of course, there are sometimes one or two exceptions.....
This is the quality that is improved in the two years if you make the right use of them and this is what truly keeps the companies coming back again and again. Sydenham will enable you to get an education, nobody will spoonfeed you anything, and if you make the right use of the time, you can walk out with much more than you can get anywhere else.
These good points that you've tossed off as irrelevant are actually a large part of the reason why Sydenham is still right up there despite the competition and the constraints.

You seem to think that the fact that you are one voice speaking out is a point in your favour. Have you studied statistics in the two years that you spent at Sydenham (allegedly) or did you just spend that time making "merry"? Your biased opinions have no support because they're based on conjecture, not facts, and statistics will teach you that you should really look at the representative sample, which is the rest of your "friends" who support Sydenham. Doesn't the fact that you yourself say that everyone will come out against you show that you have opinions that are unsupported by facts, and based on personal prejudices or grudges? Because that's pretty much what this seems like to me.
You wasted two years of your life, you paid for that in your placements (Sydenham cannot perform miracles, if you suck in your placement interview, you will not get placed well), and now you're just looking to blame your college for your frustration when you should rather look inward at yourself.
Please take my advice and rather than lashing out and blaming the world for your own shortcomings, look to better yourself now. You should've ideally done that when you had the great opportunity at Sydenham, but it's not too late yet. Maybe then your life will get better.
My post is not meant to lash out at you either, I'm just giving some advice based on what I've noticed here. And to everyone else, please think a little bit before jumping on the bandwagon and believing anything you see on a message board. Look deeper into the post and try to perceive rather than taking everything at face value, especially something as half baked and ridiculous as that original post.
Yours,
Salil Chitre,
MMS 2006-08,
Sydenham Institute of Management Studies,
Research and Entrepreneurship Education.
All CET aspirants

Dear Mystery man,
Thanks for the eye opener. But I would really say that this eye opener was posted with closed eyes. It's only one side of the coin.
I am a student from the MMS 2006-08 batch. I am a Chartered Accountant and Company Secretary by qualification with 1.5 years work experience, and I am proud that I am a part of SIMSREE. I am not trying to negate you or defend the Institute, but I am just adding something, which your closed eyes could not see :

i) Sydenham has only visiting faculty? Great !!! We have the best faculty in our college, who are connected to the industry, and bring in their up to date and vast experience in their respective fields. We do have lots of time during the day which can be fruitfully spent in our well equipped and spacious library, besides participating in lots of competitions which again is not at the cost of our studies. Arranging lectures is not something technical or which costs us our studies. These trivial things help in building up your confidence in speaking with people and convince the faculty to come, despite his / her busy schedules. You cant have the cake and eat it too ! You cant cry over the commuting time when you have got an opportunity to study in one of the best institutes in Mumbai.

ii) You are searching for infrastructure in good benches and air conditioners. I guess you havent visited the college after you got placed. Infrastructure thing mentioned by you is all crap as on today. And nobody fails you at MBA. Just as Chartered Accountancy is a course where it is pretty easier to get in, but equally difficult to pass out, MBA is a course where it is very difficult to get in, but pretty easier to pass out. You pass your MBA the day you cleared your CET and get admitted to in the institute. SIMSREE gets its students from the top 150 students at CET, where more than 30,000 students appear for it. And believe me, nobody reads a whole book for passing the exams. I bet even you haven't read the whole Kotler. (to add, I passed my CA and CS exams by studying from the last 3 years exams guideline answers)

iii) Placements : It's for the placement committee to comment.

iv) SIMSREE has the largest alumni base among all B-Schools in Mumbai and we are proud of it. Frankly, I haven't seen or heard about anybody treating the alumni disrespectfully. This might be your personal view.

v) YES. Everything is done by students. Different committees have been formed for each function such as the placement committee, media committee, basic amenities committee, guest lecture committee, alumni committee, etc. To students who are freshers, it gives them a first hand experience into managing things. To those who have work experience, they feel connected to the industry. MBA is all about communication and managing things. This is where you will get first hand experience into managing things, talking to varied people and honing your convincing skills. If you havent learned anything, it may be because you have never tried to take any responsibility in your life. Get married and see what responsibility is !!!

vi) The website renewal is in progress, and should be up within the next 2 weeks. Being a government college, it takes some time to get the design and the contents approved from the Mantralaya, which will be with us any moment.

Vii) I would say that our director Prof. Dabli is the greatest teacher with regard to communication and convincing skills. I view him as a great communicator and negotiator. If you can convince him, you can convince anybody in this world, which is quintessential in today's corporate world. The latest news is that he has been transferred to Elphinstone College and a new Director has joined in his place. We shall really miss Prof. Dabli.

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

That is your personal view, and my personal view over this is that I have made a right choice by joining Sydenham. I would have repented, had I not got admitted to this wonderful institute.

As I mentioned in point 'v' above, you seem to never have taken up any responsibility or might have not performed. Therefore, you are not happy with your performance in securing a good placement for yourself and are balming the institute for no reasons.

Dear radioson@pro,
Reading your post I get the feeling that a disgruntled student who has not got the placement he desired is venting his frustration .....do you blame the college if you don't get your desired job?....I strongly believe that any B SCHOOL is as good as you are....If you didn't get the job you desired, you should be asking why it didn't happen to yourself rather than blame all and sundry. I am not a student of Sydenham...but looking at their placement report I find it difficult to believe that you didn't get enough opportunities to sit for a good company....regarding the syllabus...it is a known fact that the MMS syllabus is slightly outdated...hence the onus is on the student to read as much as possible and update himself. It is very easy to blame all and sundry, but a wiser thing would be to introspect...I have a friend at sydenham who passed out this year and is extremely well placed with an enviable package...Bad mouthing the college is an extremely cowardly choice...Also I am highly sceptical about some of your claims:
1) How can the friends of people in the placement committee get the best packages?....you think the company recruiting is so naive that they would hire someone just because that person is a friend of a placement committee member?
2)Regarding timings....my cousin passed out of a premier B school last year and he felt that the best learning happens not in the classroom but how much time you spend reading, researching and interacting with your peers..in fact if there is a gap between lectures one can make great use of the time to add value to one's self.....This has been stated by various people at different times..." A B school is not a placement agency," if you expect that just by landing at a Bschool you would get a comfortable package after 2 years you are mistaken....this is just my opinion ..no personal issues and one question to you :" What did you do in the two years you were at the institute to improve the situation?"....

All CET aspirants

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

ok i havent posted on pagalguy since a long time and reading the above post felt like posting an opinion or two. I empathize with the writer for taking the pains to post what he has done but have to point out an evident bias in the writings. I am a student of sydenham myself and have jsut completed my first year. I aint exactly the greatest fan of the college but hav 2 say it doesnt deserve all the critisicm tat it has got.

The perspective in which the above is written is flawed and the bias is rather evident. Sydenham's soul lies in the students who join there and thats all there is to it. The cream from the CET join JBIMS and Sydenham and mebbe we can extend tat a bit for welingkar and sydenham, but generally wed have students from say the top 120 ranks here. We have a new director at sydenham tis year and the first signs are good. Infrastructure: lemme point out that JB has pretty much similar infrastructure and tat is quite a coveted insti... sydenham has never claimed to have airconditioned classrooms and the library is seriously quite decent. Im coming to the crux of what i wanted to say:

A Management Program LARGELY depends on the student himself. Now its a different story if someone starts comparing sydenham to the IIM's or the cream schools like an MDI Gurgaon, XL or an IIFT. We dont even claim to be there. We are an A grade school, not the cream. A management program consists of two years of education without working and you get that at sydenham along wit a host of companies coming down for placements. Sydenham offers value for the money it demands. Im never a proponent of the investment return theory in education but sydenham by far is probably the most inexpensive Bschool in the country and I think its worth the 40k it demands. Of course the above statement needs to be put into perspective... if a student believes honestly that with a year more of studying he can crack the IIM's, sure give it a shot... but if u not really sure, u mit want to think bout ur options which cud b JB and sydenham

let me make it very clear that there is hardly any difference between JBIMS and Sydenham. Somaiya and welingkar r a touch below in terms of pure placement. now if ur a student thinking of coming to sydenham, u definitely havent made it to the cream schools. So lets talk reality beyond tat. Sydenham will give u a gud batch of students, peers r MEANT to b the most important source of education in a b school, anywhere. Your placements are in your hands as students, now think about it, is there anybody else ud entrust it to?? thers nobody frm the office or staff whos gonna interfere... Placements are a function directly under the students hands...

Overall let me say this: the decision to join a b school is eventually yours. Feel free to ask any questions to anybody but remember to put it in perspective. To me, if u luking for the ultimate MBA, DONT luk beyond the cream tats a list of about 10-15 schools. But u got to have it in you to get there....

But wen u start comparing other Bschools, id say sydenham is rit up there wit the best and offers you pretty much the same and better placements than any other bschool wud. Ill adress any personal questions or allegations as well.

Ravi Radhakrishnan
Class of 2006-08
MMS, SIMSREE

All CET aspirants

I am PGDBM student of Sydenham,read on the bold lines for my response

i) "Sydenham has the worst college timings ever" (What does that mean? Tell me the ideal college timing). Being a government college, all these lectures are arranged by us students(Is it a bad thing? especially for budding managers to have the freedom to select the faculty), which affects a lot, especially for people not staying close to sydenham. Lectures at 7 pm, 10 pm.(This is not true!!!no arguments,in the past year none of my lectures have been stretched past 8 pm,Not that there is anything wrong with that)no lectures in the day.(Happens sometime.You may as well do your projects in meantime,afterall i don't see MBA is all about attending lectures)horrible I must say. The faculty is 100 % visting (I don't understand this obsession with residential faculty.Visiting faculty obviously brings live experience in the picture,while my friend finds the situation "horrible",by this standard he must have undergone some serious torture in Sydenham,which aptly underlines his anger and frustration,i'm not surprised), and hence we have to cater to their time.

ii) The infrastructure is just pathetic for management education (what kind of infrastructure do you need for management education? let me guess;Close proximity to bbusiness Hub,A nice "Air Conditioned" hall,Well equiped library;sydenham has all that ,I beleive there are more things like furniture, computers and WI-FI read on for that..) And all this talk of improving infrastructure is all bull shit (Its not...give a visit to the campus,see it for yoursself), going on from the time I joined and passed out. Education, ho hum, Mumbai University, what people study at Chetna or Dalmiya, even I studied the same (How could you tell that? Isn't there any difference...are faculty and Students the same in Chetna,Dalmiya and Sydenham?). As a serious study guy , I had little to study and more to merry (I don't understand this?What the hell you didn't have to study better?). Exams, blah, again the same old examination method, study past 5 years papers and you are through MBA (Let me be honest!!!I'm an Engineer and I sometimes felt passing
engineering was easy than passing some of the papers in Sydenham PGDBM,I mean papers like statistics and IT,even my friend would agree with this)
iii) Placement facts at Sydenham- No oneI repeat no one knows what the real Placement figures are except for the placement committee (What the hell is that supposed to mean,at the end of the day everybody knows where the hell everybody's palced,their packages and profile.This is very serious and i don't agree). The truth for this year is they say highest package is 20 lacs, that, guys is for a guy with over 8 years of experience and not a 1 year but on a 3 year contract, yes, 3 years for 20 lacs, that's around 6.6 lacs per annum (I'm not sure about this but I don't hink thats something one should brag about,You konw 1 in 120 getting 22 Lacs). The placement committee has a few members who in the lack of faculty support play with our career (Thats a blatant statement without any support,remember these don't count for anything in the argument). Their friends get the best packages (Seems like placement comitee had some kind of spell working on Industry HR experts), need I say more. Did anyone say that 8 people in the batch have not been placed till date (Not true, They had their share of offers and they opted out due to variety of reasons seldom was package the issue)? Out of these 8 I know 3 are engineers. And please do not expect great profiles to start with (Thats true in some cases,I would underline the word "Great Profile"). Many of the companies that come to our college come to every other college in Mumbai(Does that translate in to", Many of the companies that recruit from our college recruit from every other college in Mumbai? I don't think so), the profile and packages are same (Not true).

iv) The alumni support is just pathetic (I don't understand this obsession of our friends with strong adjectives like "Pathetic",Every student has alumni mentor,Mine is VP marketing of Godrej food and beverages), few alumni even care to be associated or r even proud to be associated with us, some who do support are treated badly by the juniors themselves(This is up to you).

v) Everything is done by students,now don't tell me this is learning, I have learnt nothing (No wonder you are blaming somebody else for you misfortune and crying over split milk)but seeing vested interests

vi) How much does it take for a website in 2007? We had a media committee, which just keeps giving excuses for why do we need a website? Boss why do we need a Media committee then, shut up and study.(Thats a serious issue,Aparantly govt. procedures had their role to play,These things do frustrate)

vii) Our director, P V Dabli is another very big contributor to the sydenham fiasco. All that has happened is students fighting for things to get done, and nothing comes out for years.(Mr.Dabli is no more director of the institute,Dr.M.A. Khan is)

Some good points-
iii) Location as Mumbai.

The truth for me is , I made a bad choice and I have paid for that, being an engineer and a CET top 60 scorere, I have paid an even bigger for the choice I madeto settle for the stupid company I m working in today Well there are atleast 100 others from your class who think they are doing decent job in a decent company,so stop blaming others for your failure,Apparantly Sydenham may fail to deliver the promise for people seeking one way transaction.I ask you what value have you added to Sydenham? My humble request to all those who want to achieve something in there lives to understand evrybody eats the fruits of the tree planted by somebody else and unless you plant some trees you wouldn't like to say you have achieved something).

For the benefit of CET aspirants General Secretary, SIMSREE

This message is not to hit at radioson@pro but to clear the chaos that has been created in the minds of CET aspirants because of radioson@pros incorrect allegations

1) There has not been a single lecture starting at 10 pm. College functions from 8.00 am in the morning to 8.00 pm at night. Yes, if visiting faculty and students want, the lectures can go beyond 8 at night. We are proud of the fact that we have such an esteemed faculty at our campus. We have the CIOs, VPs, GMs, Head of the biggest companies who share with us the practical implications of the theoretical concepts in the book. Also students are given prior intimation about timings of the lecture so as to avoid any kind of inconvenience to students staying far from the college

2) The college is going under some serious make over and the work will be complete before the next batch arrives. It has the necessary books in the library, has a seminar room for presentations and the facilities will improve as per the new infra plan.

Syllabus remains common for the entire university, so value addition depends on an individual. Its upto an individual, if he/she wants to make merry in spare time or discuss case studies and recent happenings within the group.

3) Rohan Karkare, Placement Co-ordinator has already spoken about the placement details

4) Alumni support is great and they are more than eager to help their juniors. As a result, we have our alumniis coming on campus for guest lectures, college functions, etc.

5) We are also proud of the fact that students manage the college. There are various committees to do respective work and they do it sincerely without any incentives.

6) Website work had stopped for contractual reasons and will be ready within 15-20 days. So CET aspirants can refer our website for genuine information within 15-20 days from now.

I would request to all CET aspirants that they should rather avoid referring such threads for information about any B-school and preferably get in touch with the college authorities directly. For more information about SIMSREE, you can get in touch with me or Rohan Karkare.

Best Regards,
Swapnil Deshmukh
General Secretary,
SIMSREE
For the benefit of CET aspirants General Secretary, SIMSREE

This message is not to hit at radioson@pro but to clear the chaos that has been created in the minds of CET aspirants because of radioson@pros incorrect allegations

1) There has not been a single lecture starting at 10 pm. College functions from 8.00 am in the morning to 8.00 pm at night. Yes, if visiting faculty and students want, the lectures can go beyond 8 at night. We are proud of the fact that we have such an esteemed faculty at our campus. We have the CIOs, VPs, GMs, Head of the biggest companies who share with us the practical implications of the theoretical concepts in the book. Also students are given prior intimation about timings of the lecture so as to avoid any kind of inconvenience to students staying far from the college

2) The college is going under some serious make over and the work will be complete before the next batch arrives. It has the necessary books in the library, has a seminar room for presentations and the facilities will improve as per the new infra plan.

Syllabus remains common for the entire university, so value addition depends on an individual. Its upto an individual, if he/she wants to make merry in spare time or discuss case studies and recent happenings within the group.

3) Rohan Karkare, Placement Co-ordinator has already spoken about the placement details

4) Alumni support is great and they are more than eager to help their juniors. As a result, we have our alumniis coming on campus for guest lectures, college functions, etc.

5) We are also proud of the fact that students manage the college. There are various committees to do respective work and they do it sincerely without any incentives.

6) Website work had stopped for contractual reasons and will be ready within 15-20 days. So CET aspirants can refer our website for genuine information within 15-20 days from now.

I would request to all CET aspirants that they should rather avoid referring such threads for information about any B-school and preferably get in touch with the college authorities directly. For more information about SIMSREE, you can get in touch with me or Rohan Karkare.

Best Regards,
Swapnil Deshmukh
General Secretary,
SIMSREE

Dear Mr Frustrated
Actually its a waste of time to reply on your baseless allegations against SIMSREE , but for the benefit of the CET aspirants here's my take on the issue.
My Background
BE (10th Rank in Mumbai University)
24 months work ex in ICICI Bank as Asst Manager
Currently Placement Coordinator
MMS-2006-08

It seems you missed Bajaj by 5 marks (thats the root of your disappointment). I have 5 ppl in my class including myself who missed JB by just 1 mark .Though we were disappointed , it was temporary (which is not the case with u,,,pls change ur attitude).Now for your baseless allegations
1.Worst College Timings-
This is a b-school dude & as sydenham has 100% visiting faculty they cannot come to college during office hours.
2.Poor Infrastructure.
We never said sydenham has world class infra. Good benches & A/C do not make a good b-school , but good students do. Sydenham gets the cream from CET making it the number 2 college.
3.Old Exam Pattern
The MMS course is designed by University & you can't blame sydenham for that.If you want to add value you can always read more books from the library ( Sydenham library has a good collection of books . We get Harvard Business Review ,which not many colleges get.
4.Placements Fact
Being a government college we have restrictions on advertising the figures. Even then all the leading institutes (TIME,IMS) have the figures on their websites. Also being a govt institute we cannot inflate our figures as done by many pvt institute.The figs quoted are true .
5.Alumni Support is pathetic
This is your personal view & i dun wanna waste my time on that.
7.Everything is done by students (now don't tell me this is learning, I have learnt nothing but seeing vested interests)
This is the best possible way to learn by taking more responsibility. If you haven't learned ,somethings wrong with you. Hope u learn something in future,atb
8.Website
Constraints being a govt college.will be up in next 15 days.
9.Director PV Dabli
again a personal view.

Above all the institute has been in existence for over two decades with excellent performance over these years. Just bcos one frustrated soul is not happy with the college ,,,,UBS,ICICI,HSBC,Patni,Infy,TCS,,and many more recruiters will not sever their ties with the college.

Proud to be a Sydenhamite
Coordinator
Placement Committee
MMS-(2006-200
pun500 Says
wat about the lecture timings and absence of any permanent faculty??

the lectures are held anywhere between 8 Am n 8 Pm. and our dear director is a staunch follwer of University rules which says that there shoudl be 450 hrs of teching in each sememster (Please check with other colleges also) so we do have to come at the fag end of sem to cover it up.

We are quite priviledged to get the best faculty in th college, these are stalwarts from the industry who along with their job extract some time from their busy schedule to share their learning with students. we are greatful to them because of tht.

We never feel the absence of permanent faculty because all doubts, help, queries are taken care of and all who teach are jus a call away.

Aman Sahai
PGDBM 2
SIMSREE