Average GMAT Score but still taking my chances...

Hi All, This year, I have applied to : ISB - Hyderabad, Darden - Virginia, Texas - Austin, Ohio - Fisher, University of Minnesota - Carlson till now. I am waiting for reply from all of them. GMAT:650 (quant-50, verbal-28, AWA-5…

Hi All,

This year, I have applied to :
ISB - Hyderabad, Darden - Virginia, Texas - Austin, Ohio - Fisher, University of Minnesota - Carlson till now.
I am waiting for reply from all of them.

GMAT:650 (quant-50, verbal-28, AWA-5).
I also gave TOEFL-iBT and got score as 100/120 with (R-25,S-23,L-27,W-25).
Can that be of any help to compensate on my low verbal score of GMAT?
I have worked hard on my essays. My current Project Leader and Technical Architect (from Client) have given me recommendations.

To ellaborate more on my profile:
Sex: Male
Nationality: Indian
Education: Ive done a 4 yr Engineering degree in Computer Science with 73.2% marks. Gold Medalist in Final Year

IT Work Ex- More than 5 yrs (Last 3.2 years in Tata Consultancy Services with last 1 year in USA, 1 Year in LG Soft India). Currently working as Technical leader, handling three projects for Deluxe corporation, Minneapolis, USA

Other Achievements:
2nd Prize in Wellness & Fitness Challenge Competition at Deluxe Corporation , Minneapolis
Certificate of Recognition for TACTiCS (Technical Architect Configuration at TCS, Hyderabad)
Rated 5 on the scale of 5 in Annual Appraisal in April 2004
Rated 5 on the scale of 5 in Confirmation rating in December 2003
Star of the Month Award from TCS Mumbai in September 2003
Got Best Performer Award in German Language Course in ITP Training of TCS in Trivandrum
Got Best Employee Award in LG Soft India for Period Jan 2002 Jun 2002
Gold Medallist In Engineering College for the Best Student
Active Participant in Annual Program ZEST in SRMS Engineering College
Runner Up in Software Competition in Annual College Program ZEST in 1999
Runner Up in Dance Competition in Annual College Program ZEST in 1997
Grade A Certificate in MS Visual Basic Course in SRMS Engineering College, Bareilly
Successfully led the College Cricket Team for three consecutive years.

Based on my profile, can you please evaluate my chances in the colleges I have applied.

I was also planning to apply to VanderBilt University, Carnegie Mellon Tepper and University of North Carolina - Kenan Flagler.

Shall i hold on the application for these till I hear something from the colleges I already applied or I should go ahead and apply? And does my profile stand any chance for VanderBilt University, Carnegie Mellon Tepper
and University of North Carolina - Kenan Flagler.....

Retaking GMAT in next 2-3 months is a bit difficult for me due to personal commitments so trying my best this year itself(although GMAT didn't go as per my expectations).
Please advice...Thanks in advance..
Thanks & Regards
hellojp

My immediate reaction on seeing your profile was "Great stuff but low GMAT". I am sure that is the thought going through the minds of each person on the Adcomm to wherever you apply. So taking a phrase from your subject line "Why taking your chances" when you are investing 1/2yrs of your life and investing tens of lakhs of rupees ? Why compromise for anything less than the best ?

First of all, you fall in a very disadvantaged demographic profile - Male/IT/India (sounds cliched but true). Secondly there is never a doubt on your technical ability or your quantitative ability (through your work/engg backgroun/gmat scores). The only glaring hole in your package is verbal ability. Your GMAT scores are not helping them.

So I would say:

(a) Go ahead and apply to a few places. Make sure your essays are rock-solid. And if you get short-listed - come up with a great interview performance. Worst case you will get dinged but there will be a lot you will learn from this experience.

(b) Try writing some articles or taking up some courses on business communications by a good standardized authority. Anything that will help present your profile as someone who can communicate well in English in your MBA program (I know you can but they cannot )

(c) The only pinch is that as a re-applicant you might not have much to add to your profile in 1 year. Apart from say improved GMAT scores. So that is the only setback I see if you go in for a dry-run by apping to a few places this year.

HTH,

Arun

Edited to add:
No intent to offend you but you may want to knock off some of those accomplishments ...esp those which have litte bearing on who you are.

Hi All,

This year, I have applied to :
ISB - Hyderabad, Darden - Virginia, Texas - Austin, Ohio - Fisher, University of Minnesota - Carlson till now.
I am waiting for reply from all of them.

GMAT:650 (quant-50, verbal-28, AWA-5).
I also gave TOEFL-iBT and got score as 100/120 with (R-25,S-23,L-27,W-25).
Can that be of any help to compensate on my low verbal score of GMAT?
I have worked hard on my essays. My current Project Leader and Technical Architect (from Client) have given me recommendations.

To ellaborate more on my profile:
Sex: Male
Nationality: Indian
Education: Ive done a 4 yr Engineering degree in Computer Science with 73.2% marks. Gold Medalist in Final Year

IT Work Ex- More than 5 yrs (Last 3.2 years in Tata Consultancy Services with last 1 year in USA, 1 Year in LG Soft India). Currently working as Technical leader, handling three projects for Deluxe corporation, Minneapolis, USA

Other Achievements:
2nd Prize in Wellness & Fitness Challenge Competition at Deluxe Corporation , Minneapolis
Certificate of Recognition for TACTiCS (Technical Architect Configuration at TCS, Hyderabad)
Rated 5 on the scale of 5 in Annual Appraisal in April 2004
Rated 5 on the scale of 5 in Confirmation rating in December 2003
Star of the Month Award from TCS Mumbai in September 2003
Got Best Performer Award in German Language Course in ITP Training of TCS in Trivandrum
Got Best Employee Award in LG Soft India for Period Jan 2002 Jun 2002
Gold Medallist In Engineering College for the Best Student
Active Participant in Annual Program ZEST in SRMS Engineering College
Runner Up in Software Competition in Annual College Program ZEST in 1999
Runner Up in Dance Competition in Annual College Program ZEST in 1997
Grade A Certificate in MS Visual Basic Course in SRMS Engineering College, Bareilly
Successfully led the College Cricket Team for three consecutive years.

Based on my profile, can you please evaluate my chances in the colleges I have applied.

I was also planning to apply to VanderBilt University, Carnegie Mellon Tepper and University of North Carolina - Kenan Flagler.

Shall i hold on the application for these till I hear something from the colleges I already applied or I should go ahead and apply? And does my profile stand any chance for VanderBilt University, Carnegie Mellon Tepper
and University of North Carolina - Kenan Flagler.....

Retaking GMAT in next 2-3 months is a bit difficult for me due to personal commitments so trying my best this year itself(although GMAT didn't go as per my expectations).
Please advice...Thanks in advance..
Thanks & Regards
hellojp

hi jp now coz u have already taken the GMAT test , can u just
brief me the details of the exam, like whatz a good score and whatz average, nd
what would be the pattern and the addon exams to be taken ? any hellp will be of great regards. ......buddy waiting fo ur reply
Hi Arun,

For a new PG like me its really inspiring to read postings of experts like you...i wud pay anything for the writting ablities like yours...u gave a sensible suggestion of writting some articles or enrolling in some communication classes..i would wish to join one of them but do u know any such good standardized authority whose branches are located in Mumbai...
thnx and good luck

CHeeRS,
ketan

My immediate reaction on seeing your profile was "Great stuff but low GMAT". I am sure that is the thought going through the minds of each person on the Adcomm to wherever you apply. So taking a phrase from your subject line "Why taking your chances" when you are investing 1/2yrs of your life and investing tens of lakhs of rupees ? Why compromise for anything less than the best ?

First of all, you fall in a very disadvantaged demographic profile - Male/IT/India (sounds cliched but true). Secondly there is never a doubt on your technical ability or your quantitative ability (through your work/engg backgroun/gmat scores). The only glaring hole in your package is verbal ability. Your GMAT scores are not helping them.

So I would say:

(a) Go ahead and apply to a few places. Make sure your essays are rock-solid. And if you get short-listed - come up with a great interview performance. Worst case you will get dinged but there will be a lot you will learn from this experience.

(b) Try writing some articles or taking up some courses on business communications by a good standardized authority. Anything that will help present your profile as someone who can communicate well in English in your MBA program (I know you can but they cannot )

(c) The only pinch is that as a re-applicant you might not have much to add to your profile in 1 year. Apart from say improved GMAT scores. So that is the only setback I see if you go in for a dry-run by apping to a few places this year.

HTH,

Arun

Edited to add:
No intent to offend you but you may want to knock off some of those accomplishments ...esp those which have litte bearing on who you are.

hellojp, vanderbilt and carlson are pretty much definite admits for a guy like you....you could give a shot at Emory too...it`s an upcoming school located in a hotbed of business activity. your verbal score is definitely your stumbling point. not only is it on the lower side, but it also seems to reinforce the notion of a steriotypical indian-IT-male....one who is infamous for being a super quant jock but poor at communicaion and creativity. you somehow need to plug that hole....either thru a second attempt at gmat or thru some communication course...although i`m not very convinced about whether it`ll help so much.

ketaniscool...that kinda writing comes thru a lot of putting-pen-to-paper/putting fingers-to-keyboard, as is evident from the 1395 posts from psycho! no one can teach you that...i dont even know if such communicatin courses exist for individuals. i`ve seen these communication skills programs that corporates arrange for their employees, but i dont know of individuals attending such programs themselves..it must surely cost a bomb whatever the case. for developing writing skills, try reading up good stuff to start with...and the rest will follow.

I have got a MBA acceptance call from Vanderbilt School of Management, Owen - USA with 7000 USD scholarship. This call has come to me at the time when I was planning to retake GMAT...And once again I am confused...And also amount of Scholarship is not appealing me much...This year, I feel I was let down not only by my average GMAT score but also by my application timings(i applied in Round 3/4 in most colleges)...I feel applying in Round 1 next year(may be with some improved GMAT score) may increase my chances of high scholarships or high ranked colleges...
But sometimes I think I should go for loan and go for it as there is no point in waiting for one more year.....So once again confused....And also any thoughts on this university...
I am mainly aiming for MBA in finance....

Thanks in advance....

GReat Profile hellojp...

Azeem