Australian MBA

can someone explain me the pros & cons of Australian MBA? I have also heard AGSM (Australian Graduate Sch Mgt) and MBS (Melb Business Sch) good in Aus and other MBA’s aren’t that good. Kindly advice.

can someone explain me the pros & cons of Australian MBA?

I have also heard AGSM (Australian Graduate Sch Mgt) and MBS (Melb Business Sch) good in Aus and other MBA's aren't that good.

Kindly advice.

I think AGSM and MBS are definitely the top 2 schools there. The only problem I see is finding non-finance related work in Australia. My brother is a citizen who lived there for 6 years so I know about it quite well.

But if you are willing to come back to India then it might be a good option to explore the Aussie way of living for a couple of years

Arun

Thanks for the reply.

Is it worth doing an MBA there if i dont get into the top 2 schools?

Psychodementia Says
I think AGSM and MBS are definitely the top 2 schools there. The only problem I see is finding non-finance related work in Australia.

With a BE degree & two year exp in IT industry, what kind of job & salary can i expect in AUS?( i m interested in Banking & Finance)

But if you are willing to come back to India then it might be a good option to explore the Aussie way of living for a couple of years

What is the problem in continuing work in australia itself?
Thanks for the reply.

Is it worth doing an MBA there if i dont get into the top 2 schools?

With a BE degree & two year exp in IT industry, what kind of job & salary can i expect in AUS?( i m interested in Banking & Finance)

What is the problem in continuing work in australia itself?

Somehow you have selectively read only what you wanted to know

Re-read my post I have answered both your queries. (a) Not worth doing elsewhere (b) There is no problem in continuing work but who will give you a job is the more imp questions

I have no clue what the salary would be for your profile. Expect to start off with around 40K AUD going upto 60K AUD.

Arun

well i`m saying this purely based on what i`ve heard and not based on any facts, please tell me if it`s true....

i`ve heard that a large number of australian educated ppl come back to india, not necessarily by choice but becoz of some wierd and strict government rules there. is it true that u are only allowed a time of a coupla weeks after graduation to find a job and get some employer to sponsor your visa...and if you dont find one, you cant stay there anymore? is this correct? and it`s also very difficult for ppl without relevant work ex to find jobs there.

can u confirm this psycho?

Somehow you have selectively read only what you wanted to know

Re-read my post I have answered both your queries. (a) Not worth doing elsewhere (b) There is no problem in continuing work but who will give you a job is the more imp questions

I have no clue what the salary would be for your profile. Expect to start off with around 40K AUD going upto 60K AUD.

Arun

you mean u cant get employed there after ur mba coz ur an international student???y is that a bit more insight on this would be nice..i mean both schools rank in the top 100 schools of the world right ...so why wud it be difficult to get a job in australia after that?

regards,
neil
Crash_test_dummy Says
is it true that u are only allowed a time of a coupla weeks after graduation to find a job and get some employer to sponsor your visa...and if you dont find one, you cant stay there anymore? is this correct? can u confirm this psycho?

could anyone confirm this asap?
Pradeep Chandrasekaran Says
could anyone confirm this asap?

and my question to plss kyunki cats got screwed 2nd yr in a row

There are 3 ways:

(a) Get a work-permit which is extremely rare. It would be foolish to have hopes on this while making your investment.

(b) Get a PR in Australia. Check out this to see if you could make it.

(c) Try for HSMP in UK which you will automatically get if you pass out from either AGSM or MBS.

HTH,

Arun

Hi Psychodementia
first of all thanks for providing such valuable info regarding aus
I am currently working in Aus and find every littile word of urs to be true

Can u pls explain clause c) of ur statement ? ie how do I qualify for UK work permit by studing in AGSM ???
I have got admission into AGSM and have deffered it cos I couldnt think of post MBA work issue ( dont want to land in India after taking lakhs of debt ... )

There are 3 ways:

(a) Get a work-permit which is extremely rare. It would be foolish to have hopes on this while making your investment.

(c) Try for HSMP in UK which you will automatically get if you pass out from either AGSM or MBS.

HTH,

Arun
There are 3 ways:

HTH,

Arun

knew we could count on you for some GOOD info..u have all the answers mann! thanks. do u know anything abt the government rules etc abt staying after studying and hunting for jobs etc? i think a LOT of international students falter on that front.
My "best" friend (I know that's a casually used term but in this case - he really is ) has just finished his MBA from Australia (Monash which has now been merged with MBS). I can shoot all your queries to him through email and post his reply here.

Resumevseth - I gave the HSMP link in my post.

Arun

kyunki CAT got screwed...then why dont u give gmat first and then let your scores decide where u go!!!..that will help u decide.
but my take on australian mba is that it is best if u want to work in food processing industry.

kyunki CAT got screwed...then why dont u give gmat first and then let your scores decide where u go!!!..that will help u decide.

Not the best alternative for sure. Letting your future be dictated by a three digit number is too fatalistic for my liking.

but my take on australian mba is that it is best if u want to work in food processing industry.

I agree 100% on this. Food processing - Sheep rearing - dairy products etc. Great for people with an agri background.

To give you a background - my own brother is an Australian citizen and returned to India after working for 6 years there.

Arun

thought this link might be helpful

http://www.geebeeworld.com/Australia/Aus/Index.htm

Not the best alternative for sure. Letting your future be dictated by a three digit number is too fatalistic for my liking.

I agree 100% on this. Food processing - Sheep rearing - dairy products etc. Great for people with an agri background.

To give you a background - my own brother is an Australian citizen and returned to India after working for 6 years there.

Arun

i meant that let the 3 digit number help you decide~!.
my guess is that he wants "an easy to get in" MBA option.!?
(has anyone got less than 3 digits?????)

Hi guys,
I need some help / info about Oz B-schools:
My background is: B.Com with 2 years work ex with Deutsche Bank (Global Securities)
I'm interested in pursuing an MBA with a Fin specialization.

I went for the Australian B-school fair and based on my work ex have been given a conditional offer letter by RMIt and UOW.
What i wanted to know was:
1. Would you recommend these schools?
2. Any idea what the post MBA job prospects would be like in terms of securing a job?
3. What would the average salaries be like?
4. How easy is it to get a part time job during the course?
5. A TR is given for 18 months only after completion of a 2 year course. The RMIT course is a one year course... would my chances of securing a job reduce if i graduate from RMIT?
6. Does it make sense to take up one of these offers or should i wait and do my GMAT next year and then see where i can go with 3 years work ex?
Thanks

Hi,

Reply to your questions:

1) I wont recommend either of these schools.
2) There is no job prospects if you think that these schools will help you. If you have decent work experience you might be able to get a decent one on your own. Forget about campus recruitment.
3) Tough one ..but you would be lucky if you got 70K AUD after doing MBS from the two you mentioned.
4) Part time work alright. You will find something. But remember with student visa you are allowed to work 20 hours a week . Thats it. Avg part time hob pay rate is around 15 AUD an hour.
5) It is very hard for overseas gradute or even work experienced people to get work sponsership. Most students enroll into another course at the end of there course ...cycle continues till they get permanent residency.
6) You are talking sense here. I will support this options.

My reasons:

I am in Australia working with retail sector. I came here as a student around 8 years ago. Studied my MTech at RMIT.

Only two univeristies take GMAT (hence are any good). Thats MBS & AGSM. MBS is definately better reputed here. With any other university you are wasting your time and money. Even with MBS there is no assurance of jobs but I think it still is pretty all right.

I am looking to do a MBA and I am looking towards India. Better value and career options. If you get through with ISB, you can always come to MBS as exchange student.

Hope its answers your queries.

Hey I hav a admit from agsm and m confused about joining ?? anyone else got an admit to agsm??