Ask ISB-Hyderabad: Official Admission Query thread featuring ISB's Admission Director

Thread Closed for the 2007 Admission Season. See you all in again 2008! Hi everyone, This thread records a Question and Answer session between the ISB Hyderabad Admission Director Mr Ranga Rao and users of PaGaLGuY.com during the 200…

Thread Closed for the 2007 Admission Season. See you all in again 2008!

Hi everyone,

This thread records a Question and Answer session between the ISB Hyderabad Admission Director Mr Ranga Rao and users of PaGaLGuY.com during the 2007 Admission Season.

Mr Rao and his ISB Admissions Committee answered all queries related to admissions to ISB, Hyderabad or general MBA career related queries on this thread.

The thread now stands closed, but you may go through it to know an exhaustive knowledge base of ISB Admissions.

If you still think you have questions not asked in this thread, click here to go to the 2008 ISB Admissions Query thread.

Hi There
This is Rakesh Gupta having 3.5 year ex in IT industry.
Sir i want to know that am i eligible for ISB?
I got to know that only more than 5 years ex person is eligible for that.
Please clarify it.
Thanks
Rakesh

Hi,

First things first..I appreciate this effort..!!:)

My concern is regarding career prospects for an experienced candidate..

I am 32 yrs old and have 8 years of experience in Energy/Retail Sales with Fortune 500.As the average age and experience is skewed towards 'younger ' candidates at ISB,how a candidate with my exp expect a career progression post ISB...
(a) If I do not wish to change my vertical.
(b) If I decide to move towards IT industry/Management consulting .Does ISB support an industry change.

Also in general what are the career fit prospects considering my background.?

Sunil

Hi everyone,

We are proud to have on board Mr Ranga Rao, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid of the Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad.

Mr Rao and his ISB Admissions Committee team would be answering all your queries related to admissions to ISB, Hyderabad or general MBA career related queries on this thread.

You can post all your queries regarding ISB here, whether about admissions process, criteria, faculty, course content, placements and so on. You can also seek his advice on how to best plan your MBA career.

How does it work?
  1. You post your questions about ISB Hyderabad or MBA careers here
  2. Mr Rao and his team, who will watch this thread will answer all your queries on a regular basis.
  3. So once you post your question, come back to this thread in a couple of days to find your answer or even better, Subscribe to this threa by clicking on the 'Thread tools' link on the top-right side at the top of the thread.
Mr Ranga's PG user-ID is Admissions@ISB
Good luck to Mr Ranga and all of you!

Cheers!

Hello,

I want to know what kind of roles can be looked at during recruitment process with the following profile:
  1. 12-13 years of work experience
  2. 9 years intl' experience
  3. senior consultant with renowned IT firm
1. Do such people get opportunities to aim middle management of senior management roles or remain at any disadvantage?

2. Is it advisable to apply with this profile?

Dear Mr. Ranga Rao,

Thanks for the opportunity to communicate with you on the forum.

I have a computer engineering bachelor's degree from University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and I've been working for a Fortune 50 company in the US for two years. Since then, I have been growing in terms of both responsibility and reward - my base pay has risen more than 14%.

But I wish to leave my secure job and start something of my own in India. I am not interested in consulting or industry (except for short term experience).

Is ISB a good fit for me?
What does ISB offer in terms of entrepreneurial tools and guidance for people with such an inclination?
(I found WCED at ISB interesting, would like to know more.)

My academic credentials are strong, and the last 6 years in the US have been a constant learning experience in various multi-cultural environments.

Thank you!

Harsh

hello sir,
i m kalika jain.....and i hav done my engineering this year only and have no work experience.......
i just wanted to know that does evry course in ISB requires work experience......
or does ISB has any course for freshers also........

Thank you

Kalika

Hi

Greetings from all of us at ISB and I am delighted to have this opportunity to respond to your concerns and clarifications regarding doing an MBA program in general and the program at ISB in particular. How we take advantage of the 'external empowerment' that an MBA provides to educate and equip ourselves for the change and challenge of an increasingly globalised world economic order depends entirely on us! I look forward to participating in this very valuable interactive opportunity with all of you and wish you the very best in your business education and career choices. I'll start answering all your questions after this reply.

Cordially,

I V Ranga Rao
Director - Admissions & Financial Aid
Indian School of Business
ISB Campus, Gachibowli
Hyderabad 500 032
Ph # +91 40 23007026/ 23187400
Fax # +91 40 23187099
Full Time Post Graduate Programme in Management Indian School of Business (ISB)

Hi There
This is Rakesh Gupta having 3.5 year ex in IT industry.
Sir i want to know that am i eligible for ISB?
I got to know that only more than 5 years ex person is eligible for that.
Please clarify it.
Thanks
Rakesh

Dear Rakesh,
You are eligible to apply with a full-time work experience of 2 years or more. 5 years is the average work experience of the students in the current class. The range is from 2 to 21 years.
Ranga Rao
Hi,

First things first..I appreciate this effort..!!:)

My concern is regarding career prospects for an experienced candidate..

I am 32 yrs old and have 8 years of experience in Energy/Retail Sales with Fortune 500.As the average age and experience is skewed towards 'younger ' candidates at ISB,how a candidate with my exp expect a career progression post ISB...
(a) If I do not wish to change my vertical.
(b) If I decide to move towards IT industry/Management consulting .Does ISB support an industry change.

Also in general what are the career fit prospects considering my background.?

Sunil

Dear Sunil,

These kind of questions are the most difficult to answer. While I might not be able to satisfy your query fully, I shall try and explain the various factors which influence this.

The career prospects depend on various things like

1. The candidates skills - are they suitable to the career she/he wishes to choose? If not, then there will be no fit and hence no job offer.
  2. Past work experience - recruiters would like to give preference to someone who can start performing from day one. Hence they would ideally like somebody with past work experience in that arena.
  3. Job market at that point of time - since our students get lateral offers (not entry level) the number of positions are variable from year to year against the entry level positions like management trainees where companies have a set plan to hire a certain number every year.
  4. Kind of shift - there are two primary areas which define your career choice - industry and function. It is relatively easier if you keep one constant and try to change the other. If you try and change both you are likely to face a greater challenge. So if you are working in an IT industry but in the finance function, post-ISB you may get into a finance role in another industry like retail banking, investment banking, corporate finance etc. However, if you wish to change to marketing of FMCG products then you have to understand why the recruiter should hire you over someone who has been in a similar role earlier. Similarly you may wish to retain your industry and change your function e.g. a software programmer may still work in the IT industry but go on to doing business development roles. Therefore, while changing both industry and function is not impossible, it is chalenging. Several of our students go in management consulting without any prior work experience in that field. They manage it by working harder than the others and proving their suitability for the job.
  5. Finally, the job offer will also depend on your performance at the interview on 'that' day.
The short answer to your question is that it is possible for some students (with some hard work) and not possible for some.

Ranga Rao
Hello,

I want to know what kind of roles can be looked at during recruitment process with the following profile:
  1. 12-13 years of work experience
  2. 9 years intl' experience
  3. senior consultant with renowned IT firm
1. Do such people get opportunities to aim middle management of senior management roles or remain at any disadvantage?

2. Is it advisable to apply with this profile?

Dear Sana,

Roles offered to ISB students are lateral offers any where between junior to the senior management roles. We have 10% of the students with work experience matching your range. People with substantial work experience will have to focus on their network also to find a job matching their expactations. This is on top of the support from ISB which will work with you to identify the apropriate opportunities for you. You may wish to get in touch with some of our alumni with a similar profile and seek their view also - facility to do so is available via our website www.isb.edu/admissions

Students matching your profile have moved into Business Development kind of roles.

Ranga Rao
Dear Mr. Ranga Rao,

Thanks for the opportunity to communicate with you on the forum.

I have a computer engineering bachelor's degree from University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and I've been working for a Fortune 50 company in the US for two years. Since then, I have been growing in terms of both responsibility and reward - my base pay has risen more than 14%.

But I wish to leave my secure job and start something of my own in India. I am not interested in consulting or industry (except for short term experience).

Is ISB a good fit for me?
What does ISB offer in terms of entrepreneurial tools and guidance for people with such an inclination?
(I found WCED at ISB interesting, would like to know more.)

My academic credentials are strong, and the last 6 years in the US have been a constant learning experience in various multi-cultural environments.

Thank you!

Harsh

Dear Harsh,

ISB will be an excellent fit for students who want to set up their own business.

Key things will be:

PAEV (planning your own entrepreneurial venture): This program runs for 3 terms. The teaching is done for the first 2 terms. Simultaneously you will be working on your business plan. There will be an internal business plan contest. You have a chance to demonstrate your business model to venture capitalists. If the VCs are convinced on your plan, they might encourage you with investing into your plan. ISB may also provides monetary support for the top three business plans.

ELP (Experiential Learning Program): In this program you can study and work on your project under the guidance of a faculty.

EVC (Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital club): You can be part of this professional club. The members of this club will try to build network with the industry leaders. Many guest speakers are also invited to address on various issues pertaining to business.

These are some of the program that will help if you are here with strong business interests.

Ranga Rao
hello sir,
i m kalika jain.....and i hav done my engineering this year only and have no work experience.......
i just wanted to know that does evry course in ISB requires work experience......
or does ISB has any course for freshers also........

Thank you

Kalika

Dear Kalika,

Work experience is essential for admission into ISBs flagship program PGPM. ISB does not offer any other program for people with no experience.

Ranga Rao

Sir
Thanks for all ur Help sir

my point is i have 2 years of workex in India

and now i am doing my masters in engg in US

and i always wante to do an MBA from a reputed institute

but now as i am already doing my MS in Chemical Engg does that mean if i write GMAT after my MS and work for 2 or 3 years and then apply for MBA at ISB would i have any problems basically because i have done my masters in engg and again applying for maters in MBA

are there any such candidates in the present call ??

Thanks
Krishna

Dear Kalika,

Work experience is essential for admission into ISBs flagship program PGPM. ISB does not offer any other program for people with no experience.
Ranga Rao

Respected Sir, thanks for all your effort for helping us.Actually i am also a fresher with no work ex however i been placed in S/W Company thru campus placements, i will be joining it in november .so should i apply for the PGPM course at ISB ?Is there any min no. of months work ex required ?Also does ISB accept CAT scores also ?Thanks in advance for your kind support..

HELLO SIR,
FIRST OF ALL I WOUD LIKE O THANK PAGALGUY FOR PROVIDING DIS OPORTUNITY TO
INTARCT WIT YOU.I AM ASHWIN FROM CHENNAI.I HAV COMPLETED MA ENGINEERING
IN 2007 AND HAVE GOT PLACED IN A SOFTWARE FIRM.I WANT TO KNOW THE PROCEDURE OF ADMISSIONS @ISB.I MEAN WHT SCORES DOES ISB TAKE.WHT ALL IS EXPECTED FROM THE CANDIDATE etc.....who is seekin admision at isb.
please clear ma query.i have no idea about d procedure for admissions @ isb.
thanking you in advance...

...AND ALSO I WOUD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE REQUIRES CUTTOFF IN D XAM WHOSE SCORES ISB TAKES INTO ACCOUNT IN ITS ADMISSION PROCESS.
HELLO SIR,
FIRST OF ALL I WOUD LIKE O THANK PAGALGUY FOR PROVIDING DIS OPORTUNITY TO
INTARCT WIT YOU.I AM ASHWIN FROM CHENNAI.I HAV COMPLETED MA ENGINEERING
IN 2007 AND HAVE GOT PLACED IN A SOFTWARE FIRM.I WANT TO KNOW THE PROCEDURE OF ADMISSIONS @ISB.I MEAN WHT SCORES DOES ISB TAKE.WHT ALL IS EXPECTED FROM THE CANDIDATE etc.....who is seekin admision at isb.
please clear ma query.i have no idea about d procedure for admissions @ isb.
thanking you in advance...

Dear Ashwin,

Thanks for participating in this discussion. However, you ought to understand that when you ask questions, you are expected to have done some basic level of research on your own by looking up Google. The procedure of admission to ISB is easily and freely available for anyone on the ISB website (Full Time Post Graduate Programme in Management Indian School of Business (ISB)). If despite that you still have questions related to your own profile, or something that's not given on the ISB website, then it makes sense to post questions here. You can't get spoon-fed your life :). Please take this in the right spirit.

Let the discussions continue

Apurv

Hi,

I am Harsha . I have 3.5 yrs of exp in the s/w industry (Telecom Domain) as a s/w engg in MNC's. If i do my MBA from ISB what job profiles will i be eligible for supposing i continue in the IT field?
Wat % hike(avg) can I expect in my salary (abv 9L by next yr)?

Is there any tie-up b/w ISB and banks where in I can get an educational loan (without collateral)?

Do u have any Scholarship programmes?

Finally with a good GMAT score (say 700+) ,low GPA (67%) and above profile
can i expect an interview call ( assuming my essays are good)?

Dear Harsh,

ISB will be an excellent fit for students who want to set up their own business.
Key things will be:
PAEV (planning your own entrepreneurial venture): This program runs for 3 terms. The teaching is done for the first 2 terms. Simultaneously you will be working on your business plan. There will be an internal business plan contest. You have a chance to demonstrate your business model to venture capitalists. If the VCs are convinced on your plan, they might encourage you with investing into your plan. ISB may also provides monetary support for the top three business plans.
ELP (Experiential Learning Program): In this program you can study and work on your project under the guidance of a faculty.
EVC (Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital club): You can be part of this professional club. The members of this club will try to build network with the industry leaders. Many guest speakers are also invited to address on various issues pertaining to business.
These are some of the program that will help if you are here with strong business interests.

Ranga Rao

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Ranga Rao. That really helps!

On my application, I am considering using the optional essay to talk about these entrepreneurial goals. I have a few ideas (in various sectors), and though I have done research and spoken to some people, there are no concrete steps in these directions since I have been working in the US, and don't have the tools and contacts (which I intend to acquire while at ISB).

My family runs a business and I will be learning the ropes over the next 6 months, but I plan to diversify out into different fields and I have some support from them.

I also have a long term interest in a particular branch of philanthropy. I've been involved with an organization for 4 years but would like to do something on a bigger scale at a later stage.

Would it help to mention these things (plans and interests) or are they not relevant?

Also, some people mentioned that it may not be a good idea to mix too many things together (entrepreneural + philanthropic interests), but I would love to hear your opinion on that.

Thanks!
Harsh