Ask Anshul - 08 admit taking MBA related Qs

Hey Guys, I am a current UNC student and am starting this thread to help prospective MBA students. You can check out my old thread to see what you can expect from me. So feel free to ask me anything and everything abt an MBA in the US -…

Hey Guys,

I am a current UNC student and am starting this thread to help prospective MBA students. You can check out my old thread to see what you can expect from me.

So feel free to ask me anything and everything abt an MBA in the US - admission questions, profile evaluations, essay questions, etc. I will reply to your questions once every week to please be patient.

Good luck
Anshul

Hi,

Here's my profile, can you tell me what are my chances of walking the roads of Chapel Hill...

GMAT score - 680

Work Experience - Accenture(25 months as on 31-Aug-2009)

71% aggregate in Engg. ( I am not sure how to calculate the GPA)

Class XII - 86%, Class X - 86%

Now, if I support my profile with a nice application, what are my odds of making it to UNC?

PS: Do you know Shashank Modi? (A friend of mine, who has joined UNC this year)

Ritwik,

Thanks for your message. I do know Shashank Modi. I met him before I left for Canada. You have a competitive profile with a good company. Your work experience is on the lower side so that might be a problem. I would suggest you keep UNC at the bottom of your "stretch" schools.

Tell me a little more more about your post MBA goals and I can help you with your school selection.

hope this helps.
Anshul

Hi Anshul,
Thanks for the great service you are doing.
I'll like to ask , what is the benefit that UNC-KF derives from its proximity to RTP. I'm not very clear abt how RTP can boost MBA career chances.
I'm looking to get into consulting , but RTP is more of technical/mfg hub sorts.
So how can RTP help me get a good internship opportunities.

thanks

Anshul,
I have 6+ years of exp in IT prod development in India with a GMAT of 720.
Can you suggest some schools, both stretch and in range. here are my criteria:
1. No GSB, Wharton, HBS.
2. highly rated on consulting or entrepreneurship or both.
3. Avg work ex more than 5 years.
4. preferably, low tuition fees, or high chances of getting schols.

Thanks!

@Nishant,

RTP is all about health care, not many tech companies that will hire internationals
I am not sure about manufacturing.. if you want to get into health care, UNC.Duke
is the place to be... however, if you are interesting in consulting, atlanta, boston,
and DC would be better location choices. For tech, austin, and CA/west coast should do it
UNC is great for finance...

@waiwai,
you seem to have a great profile, but man please take my advice and decide whether
you want consulting or e-ship. Dont keep both options open as your acitivies during
MBA would be very different. Here are 3 schools for entrepreneurship:

MIT
UT Austin
Babson

all three schools are great and are of different ranking levels.

for consulting:

U Michigan
Emory
GA Tech (i know its a tech school but being in atlanta will go a long way)

Hey Anshul,

Thanks for starting this thread.

If you can let me know the chances of a good scholarship or any kind of financial aid at UNC then that will be great. I am surely applying to UNC-KF. Just want to know the chances of a good scholarship and wether that depends on R1 or R2. Here is my profile:
710/6.0
4+ yrs in IT (5 by next June)
CV - I guess you have already seen it
XClr - Decent
Acads - Good (not excellent)
Target field: Tech Strategy Consulting.

@Sunil,

Your profile looks pretty good, but I doubt you would get a lot of financial aid. If you could retake the GMAT and score around 770 your chances are much higher.

But this is just my opinion, and dont let me stop you, if you think you have it in you, no one can stop you from getting this scholarship.

@Sunil,

Your profile looks pretty good, but I doubt you would get a lot of financial aid. If you could retake the GMAT and score around 770 your chances are much higher.

But this is just my opinion, and dont let me stop you, if you think you have it in you, no one can stop you from getting this scholarship.

Thanks Anshul. BTW ... apart form Emory and Boston Univ can you recommend me another good school for my target field?

Hi Anshul,

Here's my profile:

GMAT: 740
Background: B. Tech. (IIT Bombay)
CGPA: 7.2/10
Work Ex: 3.5 yrs
Extra-currics: Pretty Gud
Work Profile: Climate Change and Sustainability
Future Goals: I want to get into climate change strategy and policy making

It would be really kind of you, if could guide me which schools i should target and what are the chances !!

Thanks a ton

Hi Anshul

Here's my profile:
Work Ex: 6.5 yrs ( IT industry)

I have an L1B visa and i am working in usa.I want to do part-time MBA. For doing part time MBA do i need to take GMAT and Tofel Exam.
It is possible for my parent company to send me back to india once my project is over. Is it possible for me to continue doing MBA with L1B Visa ( i need to quit my work of course).

What are my chances of getting employment on doing a part time MBA.

How good is doing MBA online. There seems to be a lot of option to do MBA online.

Thanks for your time and help

Hi Anshul

My post MBA goal is to work as a Brand Manager with some leading CPG company (P&G;, Unilever, Nestle, Kraft etc.) prefferably food or hair/skin care division.

My Profile: GMAT 700,
Wokex: 7 years in family business.
Undergrad degree: B.Tech. (ECE)
Part time Post Grad Diploma in Software Tech.
4 yrs. gap in my education. (Therefore, many schools are counting my poost degree experience to be 4 yrs.)

Anticipating your positive response.

@Sunil,

its best to be on the west coast for tech.. so look at USC marshall, UCLA. You can also look at UT Austin. CMU Tepper.

@ps_isb

I am not sure about climate change strategy schools. You can look at schools big on sustainability - Yale (I think), Duke, UNC. I would look at the Net Impact Org and see the schools that they have a good relationship with.

hope this helps

@nandhitham

I am not a big fan of online MBAs, so I would not recommend that. You will have to talk to schools about their requirements of being a part time MBA student. Some schools have a requirement of having a full time job. Talking to schools is hte best option.

@jatinrai

I did not understand your situation very well. Please post a bigger reply with more details and I will be glad to help you.

Hi Anshul

My post MBA goal is to work as a Brand Manager with some leading Consumer Packaged Goods company (P&G;, Unilever, Nestle, Kraft etc.).

My Profile: GMAT 700,
Wokex: 7 years in family business. I took a break in between my studies in 2002 to experiment with entreprenurship & came back to get my engineering degree in 2006. Although I've been working since 2002 but coz I got my degree in 2006, therefore, schools are counting my experience post 2006.
Education: B.Tech. (ECE)
Part time Post Grad Diploma in Software Tech.

Anticipating your positive response.

Hi Anshul,

It's Ritwik again...

I am going to tell you about my future goals as you asked me in your post.

My primary interest in Marketing. My long term goal is to establish my own Marketing and Advertising company. Hence, I am looking for a school which is good in Marketing as well as entrepreneurship.

One more question...

Do I need to re-take the GMAT? I am not at all satisfied with my score(680), or do you reckon I shouldn't worry about it and spend my time in the application process?

Does UNC-KF consider higher score or an average of the scores?

Your answers will help me in a big way.

Thanks

Hii Anshul,
I donno if this is the right thread to post this query, but since i couldnt find one i m writing here...Sorry for th same...
I wanted to ask when is the right time to take upp GMAT exam?? I am workin in an IT company since almost an yr noww, n plannin 2 appear for CAT n few other exams..But, as i was going thru the brochures of some of these exams,i got to know that they accept GMAT scores also..So, does that appky to indian students also or is it jsut for foreign students??
Also, in what ways does the preparation for GMAT differ from that for CAT?? And,how much time does need to clear the exam with a pretty decent score?? With this little work experience,can i think of MBA from abroad??
Since i have absolutely no idea about th GMAT exam,my queries might sound way too naive, but then that is how it is...How n when should i start with the preps??
Kindly help me with my above queries...

Thanks in advance...

Hi Anshul,
My Profile is

GMAT - 720
Grad school - IIT kgp, cg = 7
3 years of exp with an Electronic design automation firm (Mentor Graphics)

What US B schools I must target?
Currently I am planning
Tepper, Mcdonough, UNC and probably Stern

@sharat

What are your post MBA goals? Please post them in your reply with your stats and
I will be able to help you with your business school choice.
You have a great profile, except for work experience which is a bit on the lower
side. I think we can target a couple more schools in the Stern category.

@tani123
I am not sure about CAT, so sorry cant be of help. I would say July/Aug is the best
time to take GMAT for US B Schools. I would think GMAT is kinda easier than CAT,
but you would be better off talking to someone who has taken CAT and GMAT.

@jatin,

I think your work ex before 2006 should count too cuz you were working full time.
Did you talk to any schools yet? Lets talk to them and see what the say. Assuming
things could be dangerous at this pt.

@ritwik,

Your profile is average for UNC. Sorry for being blunt but I think your GMAT and
work ex are both on the lower side. I would strongly suggest to retake the GMAT
and get close to 740 - 750. This way your work ex wont keep you out of schools that
you really deserve.