Are Kaplan Tests really tough???

Hi, I know there maybe many posts and discussions about Kaplan material,books and tests. But I really need to know whether the Kaplan Tests are really so tough as discussed in other threads? I went through some section tests of Kaplan …

Hi,

I know there maybe many posts and discussions about Kaplan material,books and tests.
But I really need to know whether the Kaplan Tests are really so tough as discussed in other threads?

I went through some section tests of Kaplan (from the KAPLAN 2008 Premiere CD ) and was surprised to see that the Questions (both in Verbal & Maths section tests) are not that difficult (in fact easy , if U can allocate 3 minutes to every question ). I found myself getting only 2-3 Qs (max) wrong in Verbal (total Qs 22 SC, RC18, CR16) & mathes (total Qs 16PS)

What I need to know is whether I m missing anything? Or the Kaplan Tests discussed in other threads from a DIFFERENT SOURCE?

Please advise, since I need a good indication of my Final GMAT scores.

Also I went through the Kaplan 800 2008-2009 edition, and didnt really find it so useful.The Verbal part is Good at Best, but the Maths part of Kaplan 800 is really average at best.They have only given 2-3 problems as examples for Every Maths Topic covered in GMAT, thats all.

What am I missing gurus??

Regards,
AVK

I think you may be confusing the toughness of the questions with the score level of the tests.

In other words, the tests themselves from Kaplan do not have tough questions. Instead, Kaplan makes your score very low so as to make it seem like you did well on the real thing.

A friend of mine got a 200 point difference between Kap test and the real thing.

Hi Vishal,

Are u saying that the Kaplan Test algo is designed to keep the scores low?:shocked:
Guess that cud explain the paradox of Kaplan Tests.

Can U tell me the Score estimates of Manhattan Gmat vs Kaplan Gmat vs GmatPrep? (what i mean to ask is if I score a 630 in MGMAT what wud b the equivalent scores in Kaplan & GmatPrep / PowerPrep?

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
AVK

What I was trying to say was that while the questions themselves are very easy on Kaplan, the Kaplan scoring scale is such that it is artificially low.

I would say that Manhattan GMAT has accurate tests and harder questions. GMAT prep is good on both accuracy and difficulty. Kaplan, as indicated, has easier questions but harder scoring.

Thnx Vishal.
Ur inputs are truly appreciated.

I was a bit worried where I stand in terms of my scores after giving MGMAT (in which i got 630 in both 😞 ). The Quant section did seem a bit too tough in terms of calculations than Kaplan.

I think I can safely add +40-50 to my MGMAT scores.

U given GMAT? Or aspirant GMAT taker?

Regards,
AVK

Thnx Vishal.
Ur inputs are truly appreciated.

I was a bit worried where I stand in terms of my scores after giving MGMAT (in which i got 630 in both 😞 ). The Quant section did seem a bit too tough in terms of calculations than Kaplan.

I think I can safely add +40-50 to my MGMAT scores.

U given GMAT? Or aspirant GMAT taker?

Regards,
AVK

I would say that adding 50 to MGMAT may be a little too much. While the questions are definitely more difficult than what you will see on the real thing, MGMAT does calibrate the score some to reflect this. In other words, MGMAT does tend to take into account the fact that its questions are a little tougher. Based upon my experience and my friends' experiences, I would say that MGMAT is maybe only 10 or 20 points low, but obviously there is no hard and fast rule.