Application for ISB 2nd round

Hi Guys. I want to apply to the ISB for their second round and the last date for the same is 30th November. I am planning to give the GMAT on 31st October. Is it too late to give the GMAT? Are there any other things for the application …

Hi Guys.

I want to apply to the ISB for their second round and the last date for the same is 30th November. I am planning to give the GMAT on 31st October.

Is it too late to give the GMAT? Are there any other things for the application process that I can begin with before giving the exam so that I can submit the application in time.

Please guide me in this regard. Thanks in Advance !

Anand

60 days is good enough to crack GMAT. Go ahead and chase your dream..

Is one month enough for the application process? Can anyone tell the details of the application process as in what all needs to be done?
Thanks !

If you will closely look at the three essays of ISB, they are asking you to a tell a story about your jouney till date and your POST MBA plans and how ISB will help to achieve those plans.

First essay will usually showcase your achievements/ work in your past and put them all in an impressive manner to make you a compelling statement to sell your candidature. Essay two is futuristic and will talk about your post MBA plans including why MBA and why ISB. Essay three is a space to comlpete your story if you feel that something is missed in your earlier two essays.

The time taken for application is again very much subjective and will depend on your thought clarity. It will be a cakewalk to prepare an application for ISB for a guy who has already submitted his application for many B school (Lets say 8-10) and he is very clear about what strengths he is going to portray through his essays and is very clear about his Post MBA goal. For such a guy the next task is just to do few modification in his essays based on the school and apply. Since all three essays of ISB are very generic in nature, this will not take much time for such a guy.

On the other hand, it can take any time to complete your application including a very impresive set of essays.

One month is enough to prepare an application for ISB for a fresh guy provided you work decently on your application from the day one. I have seen people not giving serious attention and then doing everything when the deadlines are very near.

So my suggesion, first take GMAT and get a good GMAT score without thinking of application. If you get a decent score based on your profile then start building upon your essays immediately from next day and target to finish the same by 15th November so that you have another 15 days for re-check, modification and comments from your friends. Dont fall into the trap of deadlines since most of us engineers are used to finish the things during late hours of deadlines

All the best for your GMAT.

Is one month enough for the application process? Can anyone tell the details of the application process as in what all needs to be done?
Thanks !

I'm taking GMAT on Oct 29th and would only think about application process after I'm done with GMAT as that's too distracting from Prep.

ProjectMBA Says
I'm taking GMAT on Oct 29th and would only think about application process after I'm done with GMAT as that's too distracting from Prep.

That's the right strategy to do. First focus on your GMAT and get a decent score. Start preparing your application on warfooting basis from the next day onwards.

All the best

I am also planning to Apply to ISB in the 2nd round .. and take GMAT in the last week of October ...
I wanted to know that how much time it takes to receive the official scores for GMAT and whether that is required to apply for ISB ..
also .. how much before should i book my dates for GMAT ... so that i get the dates accordingly ...

cheers

Count me in too for the second round.

I am CA with 4 yrs work ex working with KPMG in their banking and financial services space.

CFA L1 and L2 cleared.

GMAT 770

ECs: Working with Akanksha a Mumbai based NGO in their mentorship section to mentor school kids.

Regards
Prashant

You usually get the official scores in 15 days time.
While giving your GMAT, u hv an option of selecting ISB as one of the school to whom your GMAT scores should be sent!

You can submit your application with the unofficial scores that you receive at the test centre, but the processing of your application is done only when the school receives your original scores!

How early/late it is to book a slot??
Why dont u log-on to the website and check the availability of slots!!!

Cheers,
Nirav

I am also planning to Apply to ISB in the 2nd round .. and take GMAT in the last week of October ...
I wanted to know that how much time it takes to receive the official scores for GMAT and whether that is required to apply for ISB ..
also .. how much before should i book my dates for GMAT ... so that i get the dates accordingly ...

cheers

Good Profile!!
All the best with the application!

Count me in too for the second round.

I am CA with 4 yrs work ex working with KPMG in their banking and financial services space.

CFA L1 and L2 cleared.

GMAT 770

ECs: Working with Akanksha a Mumbai based NGO in their mentorship section to mentor school kids.

Regards
Prashant

Hi,

Im planning to apply for R2.My profile as below:

BSc. Math(Hons) frm Calcutta Univ:Scored a dismal 55% due to a health prob.
MSc. Applied Stats frm IITB :7.0/10
Havent taken GMAT yet.
2.2 yrs Work ex with HSBC as a Treasury Mkt Risk Mgr.
Will be joining Credit Suisse as a Credit Risk Analyst this month.

Now,I have two questions:
1>My grad marks are very poor.This is a double effect of the low scoring exam system of Cal Univ and also my health prob.I was AIR 10th in the IITB entrance test.Does this make me any less of a sinner??Also,does the Adcom distinguish b/w the scoring mechanisms of various univs across the country??

2>Since I will be joining Credit Suisse this month,it'll be really,I wud say, embarrassing for me to ask for a reco from my manager thr in Nov.In this case can I submit recos from two diff managers whove supervised me at HSBC??

Thanks,
Saurabh

Hi,

Havent taken GMAT yet.

1>My grad marks are very poor.This is a double effect of the low scoring exam system of Cal Univ and also my health prob.I was AIR 10th in the IITB entrance test.Does this make me any less of a sinner??Also,does the Adcom distinguish b/w the scoring mechanisms of various univs across the country??

2>Since I will be joining Credit Suisse this month,it'll be really,I wud say, embarrassing for me to ask for a reco from my manager thr in Nov.In this case can I submit recos from two diff managers whove supervised me at HSBC??

Thanks,
Saurabh

Find answers inline...

Hi,

Havent taken GMAT yet.

If you feel you have a valid justification for your low graduation scores, then you can use the additional essay to explain the same. The adcom does generally consider the college/univ u pass out from as well..

Yes you can do that.

Thanks,
Saurabh

Does any one have a rough estimation of the range of scores to be considered for an intake/call.....If Iam asking this question, I am obviously on the lower side on the GMAT bit...ofcourse my score 6$$ falls in the 2010 year's score range in few of the Top 20 B schools of the world....

Brief sketch on the profile:

WE:
11 years of work experience in the Sales function across various industries as diversified as IT/OA to Consumer Durable to retail banking industry (Non-IT), with atleast 4 Fortune 500 companies....Also, I had a small stint with one of the leading NGOs in the world (worked in the sales/fund raising function)..

Career path:
Started my career as a Business Development Executive with a Salary of just 4500/- per month...in the subsequent 10 years I have moved to become an Area Sales Manager (heading) a large team under me....

Acads: Average (Grad: BSc-1998 and PG: MBA-fulltime-2000)

Awards:
Professional: Won many awards on the Sales contests held in the company.
Academic: Represented college in many Management events/contests and won relevant awards.
Sports: Have recently been a participant of the 10K run. Ran for a cause- to generate and contribute the funds donated during the event for children's welfare/rights.

Extra Curricular activities:
1) Passionate about Bike riding: Been around the South India (origin Hyderabad), founder members of Wanderers and 23one, a club for the Royal enfield enthiusiasts.
2) Active Member of GHAC- Greater Hyderabad Adventure Club, done many trekking and camping with the team.

Reco Letters: I just joined in a new job asignment, so would get 1 reco from my ex-company, most probably from the National Sales Head. (2) Yet to decide among the 2: (a) an Emminent social activist who knows me personally/professionally, she is very popular, been on TED, targeted college knows her well (b) from a Trade reference with whom I have worked closely, he has been a Professor/Visiting Professor in ISB.

Essays: Wud try and be as realistic and as crisp as possible, wud concentrate on immediate and long term goals.Try and link my past, present and desired future and show how the targetted college wud bridge the gap in building my future...Wud get my essay proof-read by gud writers(journalism background) to make my essays do the right pitch, and sell the point across in as many words as allowed.....

Dont know if its worth mentioning that may be my score was relatively less compared to desired score, because I work almost 10 hours daily and have an equalling engaging life on the personal front, my Son is just above 3 years old and I dont compromise on giving ample time to him... :-)

Finally, one may feel it silly for me to say, but being a bit religious, and also because I feel it does work- is Praying God!!! Divine intervention is an absolute must for our wishes to come true!!!

Does any one have a rough estimation of the range of scores to be considered for an intake/call.....If Iam asking this question, I am obviously on the lower side on the GMAT bit...ofcourse my score 6$$ falls in the 2010 year's score range in few of the Top 20 B schools of the world....

Brief sketch on the profile:

WE:
11 years of work experience in the Sales function across various industries as diversified as IT/OA to Consumer Durable to retail banking industry (Non-IT), with atleast 4 Fortune 500 companies....Also, I had a small stint with one of the leading NGOs in the world (worked in the sales/fund raising function)..

Career path:
Started my career as a Business Development Executive with a Salary of just 4500/- per month...in the subsequent 10 years I have moved to become an Area Sales Manager (heading) a large team under me....

Acads: Average (Grad: BSc-1998 and PG: MBA-fulltime-2000)

Awards:
Professional: Won many awards on the Sales contests held in the company.
Academic: Represented college in many Management events/contests and won relevant awards.
Sports: Have recently been a participant of the 10K run. Ran for a cause- to generate and contribute the funds donated during the event for children's welfare/rights.

Extra Curricular activities:
1) Passionate about Bike riding: Been around the South India (origin Hyderabad), founder members of Wanderers and 23one, a club for the Royal enfield enthiusiasts.
2) Active Member of GHAC- Greater Hyderabad Adventure Club, done many trekking and camping with the team.

Reco Letters: I just joined in a new job asignment, so would get 1 reco from my ex-company, most probably from the National Sales Head. (2) Yet to decide among the 2: (a) an Emminent social activist who knows me personally/professionally, she is very popular, been on TED, targeted college knows her well (b) from a Trade reference with whom I have worked closely, he has been a Professor/Visiting Professor in ISB.

Essays: Wud try and be as realistic and as crisp as possible, wud concentrate on immediate and long term goals.Try and link my past, present and desired future and show how the targetted college wud bridge the gap in building my future...Wud get my essay proof-read by gud writers(journalism background) to make my essays do the right pitch, and sell the point across in as many words as allowed.....

Dont know if its worth mentioning that may be my score was relatively less compared to desired score, because I work almost 10 hours daily and have an equalling engaging life on the personal front, my Son is just above 3 years old and I dont compromise on giving ample time to him... :-)

Finally, one may feel it silly for me to say, but being a bit religious, and also because I feel it does work- is Praying God!!! Divine intervention is an absolute must for our wishes to come true!!!

With 11 years of experience, GMAT will not matter that much. Any score above 650+ should work provided you have given proper depth in your essays and can show yourself as an outstanding candidate.

Again, i am not sure whether ISB PGP is a best suit for you or not. I have read at several places that ISB PGP is not much suitable for candidates with 10+ year of experience and there are not many students above 10 year experience at ISB due to this reason. For the sake of comparison, average experience at ISB is around 5 whereas the average experience at IIM's 1 yr course is around 10 years.

I have just given my opinion from the experience various blogs. Hope some senior shed more light in this matter.
Good Profile!!
All the best with the application!

Hi Jawahar,
Im have 5 yrs of total work exp. presently working for Oracle. When does ISB has its admissions? or putting in another way when does ISB starts it process of screening the student?
Please throw some light on this as iam novice.
Hi Friends

I am a chartered accountant with 2.5 yrs post qualification exp. Will complete 3 years in March'11. Planning to apply for ISB PGP Apr'11.

My profile is

X - 70%
XII - 97%
B.Com - 70%
CA (Final) - 55%
CS (Inter completed) - 60%
Have got 4 certificates from NCFM (NSE).

Have been working in management audit of big manufacturing companies for 2.5 years post qualification.

Wanna try investment banking in PGP. I have also registered for CFA level 1 this december.

Very low records in extra curricular activities.

Recently took GMAT exam and scored 650.
Maths - 82 percentile
English - 58 percentile.

Is my GMAT score competitive enough or should i take it one more time for better scores? Pls advice me how i can improve my profile.