Applicants with 5+ yrs work exp

international MBA programs are basically different fm indian mbas in that they look for candidates with substantial workex. this is especially true of european bschools where the avg workex is more than 5 yrs. so my friends, if you have work…

international MBA programs are basically different fm indian mbas in that they look for candidates with substantial workex. this is especially true of european bschools where the avg workex is more than 5 yrs.

so my friends, if you have worked for more than 5 yrs, here is your chance to present a stellar application to adcom despite avg gmat/acads. after all your workex, both quality and quantity, is a key contributor in mba classroom.

i've formed this thread to help such candidates, though others can benefit as well. so guys lets organize and help ourselves.

i'm raghu, mech engg graduate fm nit,surat with 7 yrs workex in telecom business development. admitted at ceibs, iese, said and melbourne. planning to attend ceibs starting august.

cheers

i've formed this thread to help such candidates, though others can benefit as well. so guys lets organize and help ourselves.cheers

Hi Raghu,

Gr88888888 initiative... I have 5+ yrs of work experience... looking forward to meet you very soon...

Thankx
Azeem

hi raghu
great initiative .you will get lots of praise from desparate souls for mba (just like me)i have around 5 years of exp in nuclear power corpoaration of india ltd no international work ex .got gmat score of 720 and now looking for option .please guide reg schools as well as reg financial planning.
bye
pm

hi pramod

congrats on your good gmat. however the key is your very different workex(you dont see many applicants with your kind of nuclear background, so you'll add diversity to the pool). if your acads are good with enough extra curr, go ahead and pitch in top 10 schools like wharton, insead, iese, kellogs etc. i'd highly recommend imd however, since this is a very special program with only 90 places/year, great learning experience, no country gets represented more than 5% in the batch as they say, great reputation, 10 months 'mad' course, they're even choosy abt functional/background diversification.

let me know more abt u to give a better gyan

hi

am going to do some justice to this thread....

so if you're someone with 5+ yrs experience, managed a good gmat, have good acads, can bore someone to death thru your other virtues....what next man, get into the mba bandwagon !!

some one with a good profile and looking at non us bschools (my knowledge abt us bschools is very limited, and i vowed not to promote them when vo declined visa to me 5 yrs back and i still hold my vengeance !! )

what are your options ?? few bschools in europe and asiapacific to opt for, dont care abt rankings at this moment, look for compatibility first and research thoroughly whether this school will provide the opportunities in line with your experience.

my first take is unquestionably IMD, Switzerland (if only you can get through)
Insead, France /Singapore
London, UK
IESE, Spain
IE, Spain
Said (Oxford), UK
Ceibs, China
Judge (Cambridge), UK
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Manchester, UK
HEC, France
Esade, Spain
SDA Bocconi, Italy
HKUST, Hongkong
Melbourne, Australia
AGSM, Australia
NUS, Singapore
Cranfield, UK

since everyone has different requirements, rankings are always debatable but gives you a brief idea of brand equity of the school and how prominent is the school in the regional/global community

if you want to wrap the mba within an year, insead, imd, said and ie offer world class courses and competition is very stiff. but again advantage is you cant ask for a more international student profile. this is esp true of imd where you dont find more than 5% students from any one country. and this is one of the toughest to get into, because they restrict intake to 90 places.

many of them have 16 to 18 months mba courses, London (most popular is 2 yrs, now they've started this fast track 16 months option also), IESE, Melbourne are some of the schools to look at.

many schools here also have strict workex requirements. For IMD, avg work ex is 7.5 yrs and avg age is 29-30. for Ceibs, its 5.5 yrs avg workex and avg age 28.5 yrs. and the same is more or less true with most of the others as well except IESE where the school accepts relatively less work ex (say 3-4 yrs also)

you can also see that some schools are strong in certain fields. love investment banking, just head to London, thats the place to be !! if you're very strong in manufacturing/industries/energy with a long international experience, and speak 2 western languages(apart fm english) IMD would just love you !! if you've good experience in lifestyle services/luxury goods, just head to Ceibs, because thats one of the few schools in the world where luxury biggie LVMH has got exclusive internship/recruitment pact !! if you're interested in working in emerging economies (say brazil) and can learn spanish, head to IESE or IE, both are good in campus placements and offer good value for money. Infact IESE is the one of the few schools in the world to offer 100% guarantee on loan (they have tied up Banco Sabadell) once you bag admission, i know personally a guy who got admitted to London bschool and then didnt get thru in HSBC loan evaluation !! (poor guy had to come back !!:( )

this has proved to be a long post, let me take rest for a few days and comeback with renewed vigor to address the application part !!

till then, enjoy

ok you hate US but why Canada? there are great schools out there too - Ivey, Rotman, Queens, Schulich...plus Toronto is the 3rd biggest financial hub in North America (after NYC, Chicago)...getting a work permit and the Canadian 'green card' is very easy (as compared to getting a H1 for MBA in US).

Other than this, I would like to point out that the '2 year programs' are not really 2 years..they usually start Sep 06 (say) and end in Apr 08..thats 1 1/2 years, and during this time, internships last for 3 - 4 months..so in effect, the program is really 15-16 months..so attending a 1 year or 1 1/2 yr program dosen't save u a whole lot.

hi

am going to do some justice to this thread....

so if you're someone with 5+ yrs experience, managed a good gmat, have good acads, can bore someone to death thru your other virtues....what next man, get into the mba bandwagon !!

some one with a good profile and looking at non us bschools (my knowledge abt us bschools is very limited, and i vowed not to promote them when vo declined visa to me 5 yrs back and i still hold my vengeance !! )

what are your options ?? few bschools in europe and asiapacific to opt for, dont care abt rankings at this moment, look for compatibility first and research thoroughly whether this school will provide the opportunities in line with your experience.

my first take is unquestionably IMD, Switzerland (if only you can get through)
Insead, France /Singapore
London, UK
IESE, Spain
IE, Spain
Said (Oxford), UK
Ceibs, China
Judge (Cambridge), UK
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Manchester, UK
HEC, France
Esade, Spain
SDA Bocconi, Italy
HKUST, Hongkong
Melbourne, Australia
AGSM, Australia
NUS, Singapore
Cranfield, UK

since everyone has different requirements, rankings are always debatable but gives you a brief idea of brand equity of the school and how prominent is the school in the regional/global community

if you want to wrap the mba within an year, insead, imd, said and ie offer world class courses and competition is very stiff. but again advantage is you cant ask for a more international student profile. this is esp true of imd where you dont find more than 5% students from any one country. and this is one of the toughest to get into, because they restrict intake to 90 places.

many of them have 16 to 18 months mba courses, London (most popular is 2 yrs, now they've started this fast track 16 months option also), IESE, Melbourne are some of the schools to look at.

many schools here also have strict workex requirements. For IMD, avg work ex is 7.5 yrs and avg age is 29-30. for Ceibs, its 5.5 yrs avg workex and avg age 28.5 yrs. and the same is more or less true with most of the others as well except IESE where the school accepts relatively less work ex (say 3-4 yrs also)

you can also see that some schools are strong in certain fields. love investment banking, just head to London, thats the place to be !! if you're very strong in manufacturing/industries/energy with a long international experience, and speak 2 western languages(apart fm english) IMD would just love you !! if you've good experience in lifestyle services/luxury goods, just head to Ceibs, because thats one of the few schools in the world where luxury biggie LVMH has got exclusive internship/recruitment pact !! if you're interested in working in emerging economies (say brazil) and can learn spanish, head to IESE or IE, both are good in campus placements and offer good value for money. Infact IESE is the one of the few schools in the world to offer 100% guarantee on loan (they have tied up Banco Sabadell) once you bag admission, i know personally a guy who got admitted to London bschool and then didnt get thru in HSBC loan evaluation !! (poor guy had to come back !!:( )

this has proved to be a long post, let me take rest for a few days and comeback with renewed vigor to address the application part !!

till then, enjoy

hi puhrince

it was not intentional !! i know schools like rotman, richard and queens are excellent, infact one of my cousins is studying in richard and she said it was worth going there....
but you can only remember the names of limited number of schools !!(my poor memory)

well, 2 yrs programs - think the better option for experienced guys is still the 1 yr program or 1 yr+ program (say 16 to 18 months) for various obvious reasons. but for someone with enough time and $$, the choices are plenty.

cheers

Quality78,

Boss, I have a query for u...........I am sorry if I am being too direct but why did u choose CEIBS after having an admit to Oxford( SAID )..............

I have a few reservations abt the asian schools ...........Specially regarding the chances of getting placements etc is concerned. Also, the brand equity isn't that great( I am talking abt global recognition ..........) I have known ppl at NUS,Sing and by god the scene does not inspire that much confidence..............Don't take it personally........

Abhi.......

i recd said admit last yr and was running out of $$ options, thats the reason i'd to decline the same. agree with your viewpoint on asian bschools - poor brand equity is a concern. but with all these issues, still believe this century is rather going to be an asian century and to succeed is it not better to study mba from an asian school ??
hi raghu
great initiative .you will get lots of praise from desparate souls for mba (just like me)i have around 5 years of exp in nuclear power corpoaration of india ltd no international work ex .got gmat score of 720 and now looking for option .please guide reg schools as well as reg financial planning.
bye
pm

hi hafizur

congrats on good gmat score !! infact, for a non IT, 5yrs + workex and working in a PSU (guess so !!) guy, its an amazing score to have. if your acads are good, just go ahead and apply to the top schools. just list down your priorities and goals and then accordingly shortlist schools ! use my earlier post as sort of a guide !! if you can more details on my profile and priorities, then i can guide you specifically.

cheers

hi quality78
a lot of thanks for your concerned reply.reg my acads i have got 76% in btech and 82,74 in ssc and hsc.i am also working in an ngo for last 3 years.can you guide me also regarding what is the difference between a gen mgmt prog and other prog like finance or marketing .i am sorry for being late in replying because at this place(where i am now)even net connectivity is a big thing.
pm

you have reasonably good acads, now dont go to ssc and hsc unless you have something great to say !! the flavor of the season is gen mgt programs, tis basically aimed at higher experienced guys wanting to graduate senior roles quickly, mostly 1 yr or 1+ yr courses, eg : isb/insead. even in most of the 2 yr programs where you can specialize in finance/mktg, the first year is almost the same for all and you can select few electives in your specialization in the 2nd year(thats why they call mba finance, mba mktg etc). there are also few courses which directly offer specialization in some discipline such as finance/systems etc. look at what you want to do in life and select options, actually too much choices can make you clueless !!