Apping:Professional help,worth it?Discussion & Reviews

Hi Puys ! Looked at a number of guys on pagalguy who got into top b-schools. To be honest the amount of research they put in to identify the perfect-fit schools is amazing, and for a guy like me(not that planned at all)also a bit disturbing…

Hi Puys !

Looked at a number of guys on pagalguy who got into top b-schools.
To be honest the amount of research they put in to identify the perfect-fit schools is amazing, and for a guy like me(not that planned at all)also a bit disturbing ! :-), do I really need to put in that much of effort to find out my target schools(talk to ex-students, talk to alumnus etc etc etc ... almost a never-ending list) , or do I just apply based on rankings whereever I stand a chance ?

Also, being damn busy at work, for a guy like me its almost impossible to do this kind of research. Going through and mining the posts, goodness me ... never imagined it would be this much of work after the gmat :-).

>> I accept I made the mistake of not researching the schools before the GMAT, ideal way I guess. Instead just gave the GMAT in a hurry to apply in 2009.

I have decided to give it a shot -- apping this year. But have no clue which schools and which courses. Certainly applying to ISB, INSEAD. Also, thinking of applying to Harvard(just to feel good, that I atleast applied once in my life 😃 ). Again, this is just my wishlist -- I have not done any research as yet. Today is 11th July, my self-made deadline to zero-in on the schools and to get going with the app process is 20th July. And realistically I can expect only max 1 hour per day on week-days and maybe 2-3 hours over this and the next weekend. Dont know if its possible to do this research in this short period ! :-). Then again, which stream to choose MBA/post MBA : Again I have not thought much about this as yet -- I like consulting/finance space, but dont know if I am good enough for that or whether I fit-in.

Well, my questions are :

1) are there any good books I can refer, where I get all the info at one place, instead of going to 100 different sites and 1000s of different posts ? I know I am being very lazy, but would really appreciate if you could provide some pointers.
. Would appreciate if you could also tell where can I get these books if they exist.

2) Do most of the guys who get into top schools take professional help for the apping process ? -- Like do they pay professionals to take their tips for writing essays etc ? How much does it help ?
I know of some people who took the help from some coaching institutes in India for apping(essays etc), but were not too happy with the result.

So, what do you think : going for professional help -- is it good or bad? And if good, who all would you recommend ? (some on this site are too expensive)

Thanks a lot
Amit
GMAT : 700, Q:47, V:39, AWA:5, work-ex : 9 years. Applying :2009

Hi Puys !

Looked at a number of guys on pagalguy who got into top b-schools.

Well if you want to get into a good business school which fits your needs and your bill, you will have to research. Busy at work - is the most common and the most lame excuse. I personally know of people, who have 60 hrs a week job, volunteer at community service, have children and even then manage to do their diligent work towards their B-school. Also one tip - Never ever mentioned or hint that excuse at an admission committee member - I was busy so i couldn't..... - You can expect an immediate Reject!! They are sick of this excuse.

To answer your questions:

1. Check this book out. Its very very good to get to know about b-school and how to prepare your applications - Amazon.com: How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs, 4th Edition: J.D., Richard Montauk: Books

2. Hiring an admission consultant is a personal choice. If you think your are not good at writing and do not have people around you who can read and review your essays then certainly hire you could take some professional help. Although keep away from those, essay peddlers and "Rs.1000 for an Essay kind of people." Take the help from a good professional who will HELP you with the essay not write it for you..

good luck!!!

I'm curious to know whether people have actually utilised these services and what their experience has been so far? Would they honestly/enthusiastically refer a friend?

Warning: I realise this has the potential to turn into a Covert Advertising Thingy. Should that happen, i will ban the offending user, make sure the institute also gets banned on PG and will also put it on PG's Wall-of-Shame. You have been warned.