Apping for Top European MBA Schools-2006/07

Hello All As the subjects says, I am one of those apping for TOP MBA Schools in Europe.This might be quite early considering the class of 2007 is yet to start and the applications are yet to be opened. I request everyone intersted in such sch…

Hello All

As the subjects says, I am one of those apping for TOP MBA Schools in Europe.This might be quite early considering the class of 2007 is yet to start and the applications are yet to be opened. I request everyone intersted in such schools to participate in this thread and contribute.

I am from IT background with 7 years of expereince which includes about 3 years of international experience.My academics have been extremely low in my engineering though i had 80+ in X/XII. I managed to score 750 recently with 5.5 AWA. Average extra cirr. I am keen on taking up marketing/ consuting. I am keen on Said, JBS, IESE as of now.

We can discuss more about top eurpoean schools such as INSEAD/ IMD/ IESE/ JBS/ Said/ HEC/ Manchester/ RSM.. etc

To start off with I have couple of queries.

1) Would it be favourable to apply early ( I rounds)
2) Within how many days after confirmation of admit is the applicant required to corfirm by first payment.

I request all those who have experience in appin to join and contribute

Thanks

Vomc

Hello All, I am from IT background with 7 years of expereince which includes about 3 years of international experience.My academics have been extremely low in my engineering though i had 80+ in X/XII. I managed to score 750 recently with 5.5 AWA. Average extra cirr. I am keen on taking up marketing/ consuting. I am keen on Said, JBS, IESE as of now. We can discuss more about top eurpoean schools such as INSEAD/ IMD/ IESE/ JBS/ Said/ HEC/ Manchester/ RSM.. etc
To start off with I have couple of queries.
1) Would it be favourable to apply early ( I rounds)
2) Within how many days after confirmation of admit is the applicant required to corfirm by first payment.
I request all those who have experience in appin to join and contribute. Thanks
Vomc

Good GMAT! Don't sweat the acads, with 7 years you've left college behind. European schools value professional progress more. With good essays and well communicated reasons for an MBA and it's timing in your life - you'll get interviewed by many of the abv. For Consulting, INSEAD is the best school as you'll get an opportunity to apply to and interview with nearly all the Top 20 Strat, OPS, & Tech Consulting. Marketing & Business Dev in any industry - INSEAD, LBS and IMD. All other schools are solid, but ranked below these three.

1) IMD - first three rounds offer an equal chance of getting called for an interview.
INSEAD - First 2 rounds, I notice plenty of interview calls.
LBS - First 2 rounds (as your international).

2) IMD gives 2-3 weeks, don't know about the rest.

IF any poster has specific questions on IMD (where I graduated from last year) feel free to use this thread.

Thanks alot baccardisprite.

I was never plannin to apply for IMD/ INSEAD/LBS. Your post has given me a hope.

#I know acads will not be given much weightage, but my acads have been pathetic. just 60%. Do you suggest that I state why my acads have been bad and how capable am to undergo the rigorous programme? INSEAD in particular states in its application requirements that look for ppl with strong academics.

#I read that IMD is into General Management offers no specialization. Is this true

#Will apply workin early work favourable?

Thanks

Thanks alot baccardisprite. I was never plannin to apply for IMD/ INSEAD/LBS. Your post has given me a hope.

#I know acads will not be given much weightage, but my acads have been pathetic. just 60%. Do you suggest that I state why my acads have been bad and how capable am to undergo the rigorous programme? INSEAD in particular states in its application requirements that look for ppl with strong academics.

#I read that IMD is into General Management offers no specialization. Is this true

#Will apply workin early work favourable?
Thanks

- I had 64% in acads, worked for 8.5 years before an MBA. Relax, no one will ask you about your college academics at your stage in life. A good GMAT is also assuring.
- Yes, true.
- Depends on the school.

Hello Folks,

I have been going through various threads and thought i should present my case too, here. I passed out in 96 ( engg in E & C) karnataka univ. Been employed for 9 years now, based in dubai for almost 5 years. Decided i need that MBA, had been thinking abt it for 3 yrs almost.

Hitting at OG, princeton and kaplan. But i see that the energy levels are not so great when i see the results after those mock tests i take.

I got 64% in BE and am in IT & Telco sales and business developement. What score should i aim for to hit the top 3 in UK( think 1 year break suits me, with 2 yr as an option). Else it is the US.

Got a wide and varied range of interests, reading tops it followed by photography. Will a 650 score suffice? or should i be in the 700 category.

Any motivation tips to score better in verbal? Thanks guys and we will keep talking.

Thanks baccardisprite.

It was quite inspiring. I understand that i will have to work on my essays. I will start right away and focus on them as much as possible

Thanks again

Hi Guys,
Nice to see a thread dedicated to european applications. My profile in breif....
Work ex - 3 yrs (IT)
GMAT - 660 (plannin to appear again)
Acads- Ok types.
my true motivation for European schools came from the fact that they most of them provide one yr MBA and that too at acceptable costs. And quality is assured.
i'm not aiming at the top unis, my target are the ones who take ppl with avg 6 yrs of exp. My research is on.. will post again as i come up with some concrete set of schools. Bets luck to avomc & kdany .
BTW, may i know where My. bacardi is doing his MBA from from ?

kdany Says
passed out in 96 ...employed for 9 years now, based in dubai for almost 5 years. Decided i need that MBA, had been thinking abt it for 3 yrs almost.... Hitting at OG, princeton and kaplan.... I got 64% in BE and am in IT & Telco sales and business developement. What score should i aim for to hit the top 3 in UK( think 1 year break suits me, with 2 yr as an option). Else it is the US...Got a wide and varied range of interests, reading tops it followed by photography. Will a 650 score suffice? or should i be in the 700 category. ...Any motivation tips to score better in verbal? Thanks guys and we will keep talking.

With 9 years of exoerience, College Academics and GMAT slightly less important as your professional progress will matter more. Even so, give yourself 2 hours everyday and 4 each on weekends for the next 3-4 months and try maximizing the GMAT. Try for 700+.

What do you want to do after an MBA?

Verbal - take the OG, read the sentence correction questions and see answers immediately. You'll see the grammar is slightly different from what you were taught back in Classes 6-9 (where Indians learn the core of their English Grammar). As soon as you get the hang of it, you be alright, even start enjoying yourself.

Hi Baccardi sprite

I will be applying to Said Business school at oxford... beacuse of the strong focus on social entrepreneurship ..... do you any schools in europe which have storng social courses embedded in the MBA program .....like oxford...

Oxford has an exceelnt tie up with Skoll center for SE so that is exciting .......

Career goal is social entrepreneurship and i work for a non-profit total work ex would be 4 years wih 2 years of investment banking and non-profit work

Hey purple yogi,

Can u pls throw some light on "strong focus on social entrepreneurship"

I never heard of this. How can this be useful in MBA

thanks

Vomc

purple yogi Says
Hi Baccardi sprite, I will be applying to Said Business school at oxford... beacuse of the strong focus on social entrepreneurship ..... do you any schools in europe which have storng social courses embedded in the MBA program .....like oxford... Oxford has an exceelnt tie up with Skoll center for SE so that is exciting ....... Career goal is social entrepreneurship and i work for a non-profit total work ex would be 4 years wih 2 years of investment banking and non-profit work

IMD has an entire module 4 weeks long dedicated to Stakeholder Management, focussing on society, people and communities affected directly or indirectly by business. Guess this is what you could be looking for.

Hi Vomc,

Social entrepreneurship is exactly like any other business but with a focus on social issues ... example are soical enterprises and non-profits .... How can this be helpful in mba is that mba is bascially effective mangement and all spheres of a society need this ... Mba is not only for profit making ......Non profits and social enterprises in the world especially india are getting more professional in their approach and at some levels reqiures managers, so called MBAs ..... a lot of work goes in these enterpises like a company say strategy, financial management, operations management and IT.... An MBA is equipped so called ..... to handle this .....

if you want to read more about se ... check out www.ahoka.org....

Hey purple yogi,

Can u pls throw some light on "strong focus on social entrepreneurship"

I never heard of this. How can this be useful in MBA

thanks

Vomc

sorry about that i am at office too much work happening .....
check out www.ashoka.org

Thanks, but i guess then US schools offer more choices ...... Stanford and Harvard definately have embedded programs in the 2 year MBA .......

baccardisprite Says
IMD has an entire module 4 weeks long dedicated to Stakeholder Management, focussing on society, people and communities affected directly or indirectly by business. Guess this is what you could be looking for.
purple yogi Says
Thanks, but i guess then US schools offer more choices ...... Stanford and Harvard definately have embedded programs in the 2 year MBA .......

True! and great choices they are, which is why the schools are that famous.

Stakeholder management in IMD is an integrated course involving ALL of finance, marketing, operations, negotiation, crisis management/leadership, environmental issues, anti-trust, corporate citizenship, workplace racism, harassment, human-rights, politics, war, poverty etc etc. rolled into one... 8-12 hours a day, 3 weeks.

It's chaired & moderated by one professor who brings in other/visiting faculty, professionals, protesters, activists, and executives to present, speak and run exercises for the MBAs. The graded cases, simulations and exercises are pretty close to reality. As one who went nuts doing it last year, I can tell you it's pretty intense stuff which a course(s) taken over a full semester could find hard to match!
With 9 years of exoerience, College Academics and GMAT slightly less important as your professional progress will matter more. Even so, give yourself 2 hours everyday and 4 each on weekends for the next 3-4 months and try maximizing the GMAT. Try for 700+.

Verbal - take the OG, read the sentence correction questions and see answers immediately. You'll see the grammar is slightly different from what you were taught back in Classes 6-9 (where Indians learn the core of their English Grammar). As soon as you get the hang of it, you be alright, even start enjoying yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for not replying earlier but i was trying out the ideas you suggested but with Princeton. I am now in the 600+ range. Keep pushing is the motto.

I got the experience and the gyan( u will after 9 yrs) but it is not accredited nor certified. MBA will give me that and i also hope to polish and package myself better. I believe this is essestial to move to the big boys league.

I am looking at consulting or product management but still exploring options. IT is not everything nor is it the only good option to move on. Management is another option i look at. The whole idea is to leap ahead and then make a nice pile and retire at 50.

sounds great and intense ....i will look into it .....

Thanks

True! and great choices they are, which is why the schools are that famous.

Stakeholder management in IMD is an integrated course involving ALL of finance, marketing, operations, negotiation, crisis management/leadership, environmental issues, anti-trust, corporate citizenship, workplace racism, harassment, human-rights, politics, war, poverty etc etc. rolled into one... 8-12 hours a day, 3 weeks.

It's chaired & moderated by one professor who brings in other/visiting faculty, professionals, protesters, activists, and executives to present, speak and run exercises for the MBAs. The graded cases, simulations and exercises are pretty close to reality. As one who went nuts doing it last year, I can tell you it's pretty intense stuff which a course(s) taken over a full semester could find hard to match!

Thought i should get some help from you guys on this. I plan to write the GMAT in sept 06. Should i be geared up to write the TOEFL as well? I plan to apply to european schools and i know shortlisting and visiting their sites will give me this answer.

But is it necessary for most of the schools? Or do we get a waiver as 16 yrs of education has been in english medium.

Can someone help me frame my deadlines so that i can apply my the end of oct 06. Right now i am yet to take the GMAT.
Thought i should get some help from you guys on this. I plan to write the GMAT in sept 06. Should i be geared up to write the TOEFL as well? I plan to apply to european schools and i know shortlisting and visiting their sites will give me this answer.
But is it necessary for most of the schools? Or do we get a waiver as 16 yrs of education has been in english medium. Can someone help me frame my deadlines so that i can apply my the end of oct 06. Right now i am yet to take the GMAT.

EU Schools are more relaxed on the TOEFL requirement if your education was in English and your language at work is English. If in doubt, send the relevant adcomm an email to ask.