Anyone in University of Rochester - Simon

Hi All, Eager to know hwo all have got through University of Rochester - Simon. And if they could share their opinions about the skool. Cheers Sumit

Hi All,

Eager to know hwo all have got through University of Rochester - Simon.

And if they could share their opinions about the skool.

Cheers
Sumit

i will consider applying to it for fall 2007...so `im looking for some info on this school too. One things for sure about it: the location is awsome!! it`s close to NY, almost on the fringes, and that makes it`s networking, internship, and employment scene very attractive. i think location plays a huge part in your b school destiny. i have this friend in US who`s done his MS from SUNY buffalo (again, so close to NY) and is now working for bloomberg (technical) at salary of $95K per annum with no prior experience...not bad, eh?!!

Hi ,
There are a few ppl who have got Simon admits with a 25% schol in this forum.I am one among them.The location is good , but not so great.It is easily 5-6 hours drive from NY city and thats a bit far.The school is very good in finance and has a small class size so a very tight knit community.People have known to do well after graduating and it has a decent wall street presence.However , the weather is bit of a problem , causing the recruiters to stay away from the campus october thru february.
But it is one of the better schools among the 20's and should be given a shot if you can arrange the dough on your own.(yes it doesnt have a loan deal with a bank).

All the best
Bysodus

There are a few ppl who have got Simon admits with a 25% schol in this forum.I am one among them.

However , the weather is bit of a problem , causing the recruiters to stay away from the campus october thru february.

nice to hear from an admited candidate. My fav question for all those who get admits and scholarships: can u please tell us about your profile, either here or by PM? i`m kinda interested in knowing what kinda profiles get scholarships. Also, is simon among the more expensive schools? Where does it rank in terms of expenses? what`s the total cost like?

i thought NY side had a good weather...could you elaborate?
nice to hear from an admited candidate. My fav question for all those who get admits and scholarships: can u please tell us about your profile, either here or by PM? i`m kinda interested in knowing what kinda profiles get scholarships. Also, is simon among the more expensive schools? Where does it rank in terms of expenses? what`s the total cost like?

i thought NY side had a good weather...could you elaborate?

710,3yrs IT,REC Mech engg.no extracurriculars.avg acads. thats my profile.Simon School tends to give some sort of schols to help overcome the financial burden to international students and i believe i got because of that.Total estimated expenses are around 110K USD.

About the weather , Rochester is located at the northern part of NY state and bears the brunt of the chill , but dont worry abt the weather much.

hmm...sounds like i do have a scholarship chance at this school...will definitely apply. 110K...is that highly expensive or is it like average? Does this include everything or is this just the uniersity expense? Sorry, i have no idea about finances and costs etc.

Also, For people looking at I-Banking how does Simon compare to a Cornell, Darden, Emory....

I have heard it is one of the best skools for i-banking outside HSW. Is that true ?

Also the fee should be 100k I think... Tuition 34,XXX & Rest 14,XXX .... so somewhere like 50k per year...

Cheers
Sumit

Crash_test_dummy Says
hmm...sounds like i do have a scholarship chance at this school...will definitely apply. 110K...is that highly expensive or is it like average? Does this include everything or is this just the uniersity expense? Sorry, i have no idea about finances and costs etc.

its slightly above average.his includes everything.in fact it should come to a bit less than that as the estimated expenses are always exaggerated
Also, For people looking at I-Banking how does Simon compare to a Cornell, Darden, Emory....

I have heard it is one of the best skools for i-banking outside HSW. Is that true ?

Also the fee should be 100k I think... Tuition 34,XXX & Rest 14,XXX .... so somewhere like 50k per year...

Cheers
Sumit

As international student and without an IB background, you will have to fight it out everywhere to get your kind of job.Simon has a high percentage of finance related jobs which is a good factor.But i would still go for a better reputed school like Cornell ,Darden,Emory to be exposed to more diversity and have a better pedigree.
At the same time Simon is definitely doing well with its course design stressing on economics.So the pedagogy is unique.

DID I hear Investment Banking ......:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:.. Guys I am desperately trying to find out NON US B-Schools which are good for Investement Banking ...

PL Advise.... I have more than 5 yrs (2yrs in IB) work ex...

Waiting to hear frm you.

Azeem

As international student and without an IB background, you will have to fight it out everywhere to get your kind of job.Simon has a high percentage of finance related jobs which is a good factor.But i would still go for a better reputed school like Cornell ,Darden,Emory to be exposed to more diversity and have a better pedigree.
At the same time Simon is definitely doing well with its course design stressing on economics.So the pedagogy is unique.

Bysodus

I could get that you have got a 25% schol from Simon, but are you going there or some other place.

What I think is that it might be even stevens between Simon-Cornell while Darden and Emory no doubt good skools but loose out on the locations factor. Wouldn't that edge Simon up the ladder. Plus I was having a look at the rankings by several papers, and Simon seems to be rated very very highly for Fin.... For most of us in India it is a career switch to the stream we like. I think it is a bit challenging but at the end of the day people do it....

I am just trying to string an argument to take the conversation forward... Please put you views too...

Crash Dummy,

What does your R&D; say about this....
What I think is that it might be even stevens between Simon-Cornell while Darden and Emory no doubt good skools but loose out on the locations factor. Wouldn't that edge Simon up the ladder.

disagree. you cannot equate simon and cornell. Cornell is way far ahead than simon in terms of reputation, ranking, and quality. Emory is in Atlanta, which is among the top most business locations in the world. I admit that the thrust in the "emory zone" is more on technical jobs rather than finance, but you cant rule out atlanta for finance completely. Simon is better located for finance, and emory is better located for strategy, consulting, and technology...but you cant rule out either school for the other industry.

Plus I was having a look at the rankings by several papers, and Simon seems to be rated very very highly for Fin.... For most of us in India it is a career switch to the stream we like. I think it is a bit challenging but at the end of the day people do it....

calling it very very high might be an overstatement. it is rated as one of the "good" schools by businessweek. career switching isnt a very big deal, how you manage it and how far you get with it is the big deal. whether a school will accept your argument that you need a career switch or not is a big hurdle. whether you`ll find a good job subsequently is another challenege. if career switch to you means landing up in a small local finance company and manage accounts, then those opportunities are there in india also. A career switch is better facilitated by a reputed school.
Crash_test_dummy Says
calling it very very high might be an overstatement. it is rated as one of the "good" schools by businessweek. career switching isnt a very big deal, how you manage it and how far you get with it is the big deal. whether a school will accept your argument that you need a career switch or not is a big hurdle. whether you`ll find a good job subsequently is another challenege. if career switch to you means landing up in a small local finance company and manage accounts, then those opportunities are there in india also. A career switch is better facilitated by a reputed school.

Check this out....

->Financial Times of London
Ranked annually among the top 30 U.S. business schools since 1999.
--No. 4 in the world for finance and 6th for economics and accounting in 2006

U.S. News & World Report
Ranked among the top 30 U.S. business schools in 14 of the 16 years since the annual survey's inception in 1990.
--No. 23 in the April 2005 survey
--No. 12 in Finance
--No. 17 in Accounting
Agree that US News might not pull together the stats what an alumni would say, but would you bet against the Financial Times... even if I say that 4 in the world is exaggerated, Lets slip it down to say 10th, even then the prospects look great.

I think in Emory you have more chances of getting that small financial job. Totally agree that Cornell has a bigger reputation but then your friend from Suny is earning probably what would be equivalent to a Cornell passout (assuming he is not a genious).

Cheers

Hi all Admits, is this univ good for I banking ????

Azeem

Azeem

i dont think there`s gonna be a university that`ll be good for "i banking"...an mba doesn`t cater to super specializations or sub domains of finance. a university which has a strong finance department and good placements with finance companies will automatically have good i banking companies among it`s recruiters. for specialized courses specific to i banking, you should probably look at other courses such as (the applicable falovour of) MS finance.

DID I hear Investment Banking ......:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:.. Guys I am desperately trying to find out NON US B-Schools which are good for Investement Banking ...
You say you want info about NON US schools.

Yet you are asking about a school in New York (i.e. in USA)!!
You say you want info about NON US schools.
Yet you are asking about a school in New York (i.e. in USA)!!

oops??:, I am sorry ... my mistake...
btw.. congrats for stanford admission....
Ps:- could you guide me with NON US b-schools for I Banking

Thankx in advance.
Azeem
Bysodus

I could get that you have got a 25% schol from Simon, but are you going there or some other place.

What I think is that it might be even stevens between Simon-Cornell while Darden and Emory no doubt good skools but loose out on the locations factor. Wouldn't that edge Simon up the ladder. Plus I was having a look at the rankings by several papers, and Simon seems to be rated very very highly for Fin.... For most of us in India it is a career switch to the stream we like. I think it is a bit challenging but at the end of the day people do it....

I am just trying to string an argument to take the conversation forward... Please put you views too...

Crash Dummy,

What does your R&D; say about this....

I am going to Kenan-Flagler -UNC.
I disagree with Simon and cornell being equivalent.As is the case with UNC as well.
Location : I think Darden , Cornell and Simon are all equally placed as far as location goes.Emory has the edge of being in atlanta where job search is a lot easier for fields like consulting , general management etc.
Finance: As far as top IB jobs are considered , you would be better off at a school like Darden than at Simon although in Fin ranks Simon beats it everywhere.All big I-Banks come to Darden , which is not the case with Simon.

To me Simon seems a bit lacking in the student quality although the Fin Faculty seems great.Simon is also a small program which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Ahmad - am pasting below the top 10 schools for finance (global) from the latest FT rankings for each category..among these, Coppead (Brazil) and Univ of Toronto (Canada) are the non-US schools ur looking for...ur obvious choice should be Toronto since its the 3rd biggest financial hub in North America..a lot of I-Banks come to recruit there.

Best in finance**
University of Chicago GSB
University of Pennsylvania: Wharton
New York University: Stern
University of Rochester: Simon
Columbia Business School
Coppead
London Business School
Rice University: Jones
University of Toronto: Rotman
MIT: Sloan

oops??:, I am sorry ... my mistake...
btw.. congrats for stanford admission....
Ps:- could you guide me with NON US b-schools for I Banking

Thankx in advance.
Azeem