Anyone for Tanaka Business Schol, Imperial College

Hi Friends, Just wanted to check if anyone is applying or has applied to Tanaka business school, London. Also if anyone can suggest how good is an MBA from Tanaka. I understanf that it is in the Tier 2 B-Schools in UK. Is it really worth doing an …

Hi Friends, Just wanted to check if anyone is applying or has applied to Tanaka business school, London. Also if anyone can suggest how good is an MBA from Tanaka. I understanf that it is in the Tier 2 B-Schools in UK. Is it really worth doing an MBA from there. My Profile : GMAT : 700Work Ex : 04 Years, Telecom domian, business process consulting. Acads : Average Extra Curricular : StrongCheers,

Buddy,
Try posting on this thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school-discussions-mba-abroad/14956-phoren-b-school-assistance-desk-15.html#post573305

All the best.

Hi,

I have visited a number of schools in the UK, including Cambridge and Cranfield, and feel that Imperial was the best out of the three.

I would say that Innovation is a strong point at Imperial, and the brand is strong. I will be applying for 2007 class, and feel that the elective options with the opportunity to work with Imperial Innovations is a strong pull to this school.

I recommend you apply it looks to be a great school.

Hey Vic, Thanks for the response. Have you applied ? I have been interviewed by Thomas Lawton and am awaiting the result. Where r u based ? I am keen to join if I get an offer.

Anyone else appling for the 2007 claas. I am surprised to see ver low number o applicants for Tanaka.

Hey Vic, Thanks for the response. Have you applied ? I have been interviewed by Thomas Lawton and am awaiting the result. Where r u based ? I am keen to join if I get an offer.

Anyone else appling for the 2007 claas. I am surprised to see ver low number o applicants for Tanaka.

Hi there.

I got interviewed by Dr. John Sheldrake @ Tanaka on 15/03/2007 and was offered a place the very same day !!!!

My interview went on extremely well and Dr Sheldrake was quite impressed. But I have done a lot of research on Tanaka and other B-Schools in the UK that I have applied to. I have 2 friends who are doing their MBA from Tanaka at the moment and this is what they had to say :

1) Tanaka is not the place for you if you are looking to move into a totally different domain (for example, from Software Dev to Finance, etc)

2)The faculty is very good except for one professor, who, accoring to both my friends, is kind of incompetent ;)

3)No concept of campus recruitment and the careers service performance, according to my friends is not that great. Tanaka is just trying to leverage the IMPERIAL brand, which is very well known and respected and most of the campus recruitments that do happen are for Undergrad courses at Imperial and not for the MBA's. Having said that, it is based in London, which is itself for anyone worth his/her salt to get a job after an MBA :)

4)The best thing that I liked about Tanaka is the class size. The current class size is only 40 whereas colleges like Cambridge & Oxford induct students in excess of 200 !!! I dont think I have to say anything more as far as this is concerned.

5)Tanaka is better known for someone who is from a technical background and wants to move into Entrepreneurship. Tanaka is very big on Entrepreneurship and their Tech Venture Programme is one of the most sought after and a major selling point.

But for me, Tanaka is the last option since I have applied & given interviews @ Oxford & Cambridge and am waiting for the results. Lemme know if you need more info. I am basically from Bangalore but have been working in the UK for the past 3 years so I know a bit about London, cost of living, loans, travel, etc, etc. So any questions, lemme know and I will try my best to answer them.
I interviewed last week and I am hoping I will get an offer, my interviewer said it takes about a week to get an answer. I am also applying to Cambridge, but Imperial is my first choice because of location, and the chance to work with Imperial Innovations/Royal College of Art, and the Innovation slant to the MBA I believe we all need to innovate!

I am interested in working for biotech companies or private equity after my MBA.

The location is important to me, and Imperial being in Kensington, just next door to Hyde Park is great. The networking opportunities are great, being in London you have access to large private equity houses and investment banks plus all the big pharma companies have bases in and around London.

The class is smaller than Judge (Cambridge), but I think this is better, since you can get to know more of your class mates. I have also looked through the CV profiles of both schools, and there are lots of talented people on the both courses. I preferred the mix of the Tanaka group, with high GMAT scores, great experience and good mix of nationalities.

I am French so am not eligible for any scholarships but I did notice some good scholarships for students coming from India!

Hello Jattu and Vic, Thanks for ur detailed responses.
I am also expecting the result nest week and am quite hopefull abt it based on my interview.

Have the oxford interview lined up for 04th May . So if it goes fine it will be a decision to make else Imperail currently is my choice over the other offers.

Jattu,can u explain why it is difficult to make a career switch thru imperial MBA. I have an engineering degree and four years of consulting ex in business process for telcos. I am desperate to move into finance area , particualrly PE,IB and M&A; . I was hoping that Imperial brand name and London as a location will help me with this.

Also have u done some research in term of how much value the Imperial brand holds in India. I want to return to India after 1-2 years. Any idea about the companies generally recruiting Imperial MBAs.

Vic, U r right in terms of the class size and the enterprenurship strenghts. I hope it is a good experience to be there.

For me the decision will not be final till Oxford declares the result i.e. on 25th may.
Jattu have u also applied for the R3 pf Said bus school.

Hello Jattu and Vic, Thanks for ur detailed responses.
I am also expecting the result nest week and am quite hopefull abt it based on my interview.

Have the oxford interview lined up for 04th May . So if it goes fine it will be a decision to make else Imperail currently is my choice over the other offers.

Jattu,can u explain why it is difficult to make a career switch thru imperial MBA. I have an engineering degree and four years of consulting ex in business process for telcos. I am desperate to move into finance area , particualrly PE,IB and M&A; . I was hoping that Imperial brand name and London as a location will help me with this.

Also have u done some research in term of how much value the Imperial brand holds in India. I want to return to India after 1-2 years. Any idea about the companies generally recruiting Imperial MBAs.

Vic, U r right in terms of the class size and the enterprenurship strenghts. I hope it is a good experience to be there.

For me the decision will not be final till Oxford declares the result i.e. on 25th may.
Jattu have u also applied for the R3 pf Said bus school.

Actually, I have 2 of my friends currently doing their MBA from Imperial and according to them, people at Imperial generally do not encourage students to change their line of work, although, having said that, there are a few examples of students who have successfully migrated from a Technical field into Finance (especially IB). So it all depends on you at the end of the day as to how well you are able to sell yourself to companies. Generally here in the UK, companies require you to have at least some kind of prior experience in a particular field. For example, if you are applying to a PE firm or an IB, you would be expected to have at least some basic experience in PE or IB or Finance in general, but then again, it is solely upto you as to how you convince them and how well you sell yourself. There are at least 3 people in the current MBA batch at Imperial who got jobs within the first 2 months of their course at Imperial although they were experience candidates and they DID NOT go through the schools career services, they applied independently.

And being in London is a definite advantage but as far as my research goes, the Imperial brand name is more well known in the fields of Engineering and Medicine rather than Management and TBS is a fairly new school, not even 10 years old, I think. By brother-in-law is a Fund Manager and he told me that he also has heard of Imperial but more in an Engg and Medical contest and not as far as MBA or Management is concerned. So it is solely upto you as to how you want to leverage the Imperial brand name. Same holds good for Cambridge and Oxford as well, though Cambridge and Oxford have annual Recruitment Fairs which is always a massive help whereas Imperial has no such thing and their campus recruitment is almost 0. Their recruitment happens mostly through local, London based recruitment firms and certain companies like BT, Shell, etc who recruit Undergrads from Imperial and are sometimes encouraged to recruit some of the MBA's as well. So it depends. Hope I have answered your questions.

I have already finished my interview at Oxford and I think I might have got it. Results of my interview would be sent to me by the first week of next month. I have my Cambridge interview this Monday !

Check out my post regarding my Oxford Interview experience here

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school-discussions-mba-abroad/17469-calling-applicants-to-oxford-2007-a.html#post753155

I received my offer my Imperial which is great. I think I am going for it...

Anyone else going for MBA at Imperial? I was impressed by the course content and the people, so I am looking forward to working/studying with some talented people.

Good Going mate, Al the best.

I got through Cambridge and will be joining their MBA program instead of Oxford and Imperial.

Jattu,
Your post is of great help for people looking forward to Tanaka.
Further, I am from technical background and well settled with a top EDA firm in India.
I am looking forward to setting up something of my own in the near future.
Thus an MBA, the main question being that how would you place ISB, Hyd vs Tanaka.
Quiet difficult... but please give a thought and reply.
How much was your GMAT score?

Waiting for an early reply....

And thanks again...

-Amit

Jattu,
Your post is of great help for people looking forward to Tanaka.
Further, I am from technical background and well settled with a top EDA firm in India.
I am looking forward to setting up something of my own in the near future.
Thus an MBA, the main question being that how would you place ISB, Hyd vs Tanaka.
Quiet difficult... but please give a thought and reply.
How much was your GMAT score?

Waiting for an early reply....

And thanks again...

-Amit

Hi Amit.

I would take ISB any given day, no questions asked !!!! Tanaka is not even among the top 5 schools in the UK and even if it were the top B-School in UK and if I had an offer from ISB and Tanaka, I would choose ISB ... for the simple reason that as far as post MBA job scenarios are concerned, there's nothing compared to the sort of placements that ISB can offer ... BUT, in your case, since you want to set up your own entrepreneurial venture, I think Tanaka might have a slight edge over ISB since Tanaka has built a very string reputation where entrepreneurship is concerned. They have some specialized projects during you MBA term which focuses on setting up new ventures and also gives you an opportunity to set up a "virtual" venture of your own and present your case to the Tanaka faculty and basically pitch your business plan to them for funding & this is something I think will be invaluable to you in particular.

So in short, what am trying to say that if you are really 200% sure of starting your own venture, then I would put Tanaka ahead of ISB but if you are not and want to explore other job opportunities in other sectors, etc, then take ISB any day man, no matter what. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot... that reply of urs.. has really help to get off the mental pressure....
anyways which college did u join and how much was ur GMAT score...

-Amit

Thanks a lot... that reply of urs.. has really help to get off the mental pressure....
anyways which college did u join and how much was ur GMAT score...

-Amit

Hi Amit.

Thats quite alright. Am glad that my post was of use to you. I got a 710/800 in my GMAT and have joined Judge Business School in Cambridge.

Hi friends

Am in a dilemma regarding whether to apply for Imperial even though as per my research its one of the best schools in UK ..This is due to my low GMAT score ..here's the profile

B.E from Mumbai University VJTI college
Currently working as a Consultant in IT co.
Workex 7.5 years
Internatonal workex of 2.5 years in US and UK
GMAT - 610 (written more than once latestscore )
Acads - good, Extra curic - decent
Social service - decent

Want to switch to - Media and ENtertainment Sector (target co. - BBC)

Doyou think such a profile would be accepted for Imperial MBA considering the avg GMAT (based on posts here) for admitted students seems to be around 670-680..pls advice

Hi everyone,
to keep it short i have a two year R&D; work experience and thinking of applying to Imperial for a MSc in Management.
Kindly share your views and experience. Thanks for your time!