Any info about NorthPoint for Advertising

Hey dwellers. Does anybody know how NorthPoint, the Lintas promoted advertising school at Khandala is with regard to placements & such? Any alumini or present students? Woudl love to get some information on that. Regards Moby

Hey dwellers. Does anybody know how NorthPoint, the Lintas promoted advertising school at Khandala is with regard to placements & such? Any alumini or present students? Woudl love to get some information on that.
Regards
Moby

i have frnds studin over there and also have frnds who have over n done with da course.......n they tell me the course is very good n one of my frnds have got a pay packet of 2.5 lacs from lintas(now lowe) after she passed out.............. overall wht i gather that is the course is good..................

nets_most_wanted Says
i have frnds studin over there and also have frnds who have over n done with da course.......n they tell me the course is very good n one of my frnds have got a pay packet of 2.5 lacs from lintas(now lowe) after she passed out.............. overall wht i gather that is the course is good..................

Hi,

I have worked at Lowe long and hard. I have also visited the Northpoint training center at Lonavala a number of times. I have to say it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and mind you, I have seen a few. The idea was conceived by Prem Mehta and the center has been developed from the employee benefit fund... so my money is in there as well 😉 the story goes... the place where Northpoint stands today was home to a primary school which got destroyed in the Latur earthquake. Prem Mehta saw the place and knew immediately that was what he was looking for.

The training center is built on top of a hill allowing you see the whole of Lonavala and a bit more from the breakfast room. The place has facilities such as Pool, Billards, Swimming, Tennis, Table Tennis, Gym, squash. It has restaurants, games rooms and bars where no alcohol is served. But you can always ask the watch man to get it from the Lonavala market 😉 I need not say that the food is awesome. you will be server breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner in true 5 star style. You are bound to be atleast 20 kgs heavier by the time you complete the coure. If you wanna join advetising... 20 kgs is something you will loose in a day... Phikar not!!!

Besides the course which by the way is called PGPAMC (Post Graduate Program in Advertising and Marketing Communications) the training center is also given on rent to various big companies. I myself have seen employees from companies such as Tata Power, Adobe, etc. However, the students do not have a chance to interact with them. Providing the training center facilities to companies is just a business model that northpoint follows.

PGPAMC students also have a number of lectures from advertising and media industry stalwarts. The students can choose between a studio accomodation or sharing. All living qarters for the students are really good and only if you are really unlucky you will need to come out of the door to enjoy the view... I wouldn't be able to comment to much more on the student living quarters as I was never stayed at the students quarters...

The course will require you to travel between Mumbai and Lonavala regularly, vehicles will be provided by Northpoint. During the one year program you will be given on the job training at all of Lowe's departments which include Lowe (Advertising), Insight (Media), Lowe Personal (PR), LinOpinion (Research) as well as the rural advertising and research wings... The program will also have guest lectures from stalwarts from the media and advertisng industry. The couse is extremely strenuous. It will require to prepare and submit projects in one night as well as study for the written tests.

If you are looking for an MBA... this is not the program you should look at... you cannot expect to get into product management after completion of the course. This course is very centric to advertising and media. At the end of the course you will be offered jobs at the various sister concerns of Lowe. Wherein you will need to sign a bond for one year. Your salary will be around 16k with provision for bonus at the end of the year. (Atleast thats what they do for Management Trainees). You will most probably be absorbed as a Brand Services Manager (BSM) at Lowe. I don't know about the sister concers how do they appoint PGPAMM grads but I am sure it will be at the same level. However, mind you... a BSM is still the lowest in the food chain of MBAs at Lowe 😃 The same post at other agencies is called Senior Account Executive after which you become a manager on an average it will take about 2 years to do that and then three more if you want to become a senior manager... provided you stick on the same agency. It might happen faster if you switch agencies... but will the PGPAMM be recognised by other agencies... I don't know but I am sure will be recognised in Lintas and its partners such as contract etc.
But it doesn't matter "too much" if you have the experience in advertising.

the student quality, I do not know too much about it but I can definitely say that most people who do not get admissions anywhere else and have enough money to spend about 2 lakhs in one year for a job a lowe join PGPAMC. Yes ofcourse this is a general trend and there might be exception... but i have not encountered any exceptions.

So if you want to stick to advertising, media and are PASSIONATE about it and wish to work with Lowe for atleast a year and you do not get admissions at any other specialized masscom colleges like Xaviers, MICA etc. This is course for you. This does not mean that the course ins bad... but just that it is only in its second year and will need some time. If managed properly the course has a lot of potential as its has a live industry interface attached to it. It definitely does not fall in the Eye Eye Pee Em category. I genuinely say if you do not get admissions to any good MASSCOM course (MICA, XIM etc.) or MBA in a good school (which will include good city level schools like Chetana) and are desperate... join PGPAMC. It will give you a good platform. There are lotsa bad MASSCOM colleges springing up everywhere and it is best to avoid them. PGPAMC is far far better than those.

But be prepared to spend a lot of sleepless nights for one year. The course even has a dean... I am forgeting the name presently... so its quite professional.

If you need more info generic info you can visit: http://www.northpointindia.com/

All the best.

cheers!!!

My gratitude is due to the both of you especially Funkyfuturist. Sounds great to me, I guess I'll add it to the list of institutes to apply to, though my priorities still start with IIM . Despite being an engineer by education I have worked in the fields of Media Planning & buying. Though the periods were short (fresh grad) , the quality & quantum of work I was exposed to & could do was significant (thanks to a brilliant & munificent boss). In addition I threw in some time as a consultant of sorts with a firm.

My basic two pence to anyone interested in advertising is to THINK & be PASSIONATE. Beyond all, forget all segments, jargons, & THINK & retain the PASSION . I ventured in as a clueless engineer whose only achievement of sorts on the first day was repairing the Fax machine & installing half a dozen printer drivers. But gradually things improved (thankfully as people from advertising fraternity will agree the Fax is the single most used or abused device after the door & the phone in an agency). Thats all matters in the end. And yea Funky the concept of late nights working is rather enthralling since by now thats a part of my routine. Thanks once again of that invaluable insight.

My gratitude is due to the both of you especially Funkyfuturist. Sounds great to me, I guess I'll add it to the list of institutes to apply to, though my priorities still start with IIM . Despite being an engineer by education I have worked in the fields of Media Planning & buying. Though the periods were short (fresh grad) , the quality & quantum of work I was exposed to & could do was significant (thanks to a brilliant & munificent boss). In addition I threw in some time as a consultant of sorts with a firm.

My basic two pence to anyone interested in advertising is to THINK & be PASSIONATE. Beyond all, forget all segments, jargons, & THINK & retain the PASSION . I ventured in as a clueless engineer whose only achievement of sorts on the first day was repairing the Fax machine & installing half a dozen printer drivers. But gradually things improved (thankfully as people from advertising fraternity will agree the Fax is the single most used or abused device after the door & the phone in an agency). Thats all matters in the end. And yea Funky the concept of late nights working is rather enthralling since by now thats a part of my routine. Thanks once again of that invaluable insight.

Agreed Sir... The guy who can install printer drivers, fix the fax machine, convert commercials from .VOD to .mpeg for free is the most popular in the office 😉
funkyfuturist Says
Agreed Sir... The guy who can install printer drivers, fix the fax machine, convert commercials from .VOD to .mpeg for free is the most popular in the office ;)

Hey if you can do all the above too (or even some) maybe we should form an agency, would love to be in a :oha: place where I am not the only one expected to do perform miracles on anything that chews on 230V, 50 Hz for nutrition 😃 .
Regards
Hey if you can do all the above too (or even some) maybe we should form an agency, would love to be in a :oha: place where I am not the only one expected to do perform miracles on anything that chews on 230V, 50 Hz for nutrition 😃 .
Regards

lolz...
miracles indeed. Just tighten a loose power cord on the computer... and you the wizard of the agency... how silly man.... but then ultimately you are only as good as people perceive you to be... I have nothing to complain
lolz...
miracles indeed. Just tighten a loose power cord on the computer... and you the wizard of the agency... how silly man.... but then ultimately you are only as good as people perceive you to be... I have nothing to complain

Funky you obviously have nothing to complain because you weren't there...........more than tightening the power cord (not complaining)......but I won't bother explaining........ignorance is bliss.........Whoosh! there goes the sense of humour
thedemented_jester Says
Funky you obviously have nothing to complain because you weren't there...........more than tightening the power cord (not complaining)......but I won't bother explaining........ignorance is bliss.........Whoosh! there goes the sense of humour

hey thedemented_jester,
I was talking about myself not about you. I have done similar things in the agency lolz...

Cheers!!!
hey thedemented_jester,
I was talking about myself not about you. I have done similar things in the agency lolz...

Cheers!!!

No offence meant, just a case of misunderstanding. Lolz glad to know that you've been there & done that. Hope we run into each another sometime, since we seem to be in the same line of work ( I don't mean fixing fax machines lol).
Regards

Hello Guys ..

i really enjoyed reading ur conversation ...

ok let me come to the point ...

I am rt now into second yr of computer engineering (Mumbai)... and i want to get into the world of ADVERTISING after my graduation ( I hope i Complete It on Time:) ..)..

I have heard that MICA organizes a 1 month UNDERGRADUATE course in summers ...
Do u guys have any Idea about it ...

My aim rt Now is definately to get into MICA ...Can u guys give me some advise on that ??

I don't want to be in a fully creative department ..like copywriter or something of that sort ....but i want to be in a MARketing department of an ad agency ...

i sometimes really get confused as to How i should take a proper Shift Towards Advertising ..
Can u guys give me some piece of advise as to HOW i shud plan for career in advertising ..

Also Wat are the growth prospects in an advertising agencies

One Last thing ...are there any partime/vacation courses that i can enroll for ..along with my engineering ... and that would prove benificial in my career

Hello Guys ..

i really enjoyed reading ur conversation ...

ok let me come to the point ...

I am rt now into second yr of computer engineering (Mumbai)... and i want to get into the world of ADVERTISING after my graduation ( I hope i Complete It on Time:) ..)..

I have heard that MICA organizes a 1 month UNDERGRADUATE course in summers ...
Do u guys have any Idea about it ...

My aim rt Now is definately to get into MICA ...Can u guys give me some advise on that ??

I don't want to be in a fully creative department ..like copywriter or something of that sort ....but i want to be in a MARketing department of an ad agency ...

i sometimes really get confused as to How i should take a proper Shift Towards Advertising ..
Can u guys give me some piece of advise as to HOW i shud plan for career in advertising ..

Also Wat are the growth prospects in an advertising agencies

One Last thing ...are there any partime/vacation courses that i can enroll for ..along with my engineering ... and that would prove benificial in my career

If you are really serious about advertising --you will have to go for a full time course and that too wd be rigorous.. but yes once you are into a gd institute --u become kind of assured. Advertising and Media career has fast paced growth so nothing to worry about.

I am pursuing PGP in Ad and Media management from Northpoint and I think this is the best place to be for starting a career in Ad or Media. The Northpoint way of learning is unconventional and really challenges you to be an independent learner.

First time none of us believed that this is meant for us..it's so beautifully planned and laden. Infrastructure is technical hot spot in beautiful hills of Khandala with awesome landscape and design and not to forget the sports and recreation facilities e.g., gymnasium, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, spa, lawn and table tennis, billiards, squash, cyberia, Library etc.

Presently, Northpoint offers two courses:

PGPAMM: Post Grad. Prog. in Advertising and Media Management --1 Yr
PGPAMC: Post Grad Prog. in Advertising and Marketing Communication18 months

You may visit www.northpointindia.com

or check our daily: http://northpointnotes.com/news/show.php?dd=2005-11-18&report;=1#3

If you are really serious about advertising --you will have to go for a full time course and that too wd be rigorous.. but yes once you are into a gd institute --u become kind of assured. Advertising and Media career has fast paced growth so nothing to worry about.
I am pursuing PGP in Ad and Media management from Northpoint and I think this is the best place to be for starting a career in Ad or Media. The Northpoint way of learning is unconventional and really challenges you to be an independent learner.
First time none of us believed that this is meant for us..it's so beautifully planned and laden. Infrastructure is technical hot spot in beautiful hills of Khandala with awesome landscape and design and not to forget the sports and recreation facilities e.g., gymnasium, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, spa, lawn and table tennis, billiards, squash, cyberia, Library etc.
Presently, Northpoint offers two courses:
PGPAMM: Post Grad. Prog. in Advertising and Media Management --1 Yr
PGPAMC: Post Grad Prog. in Advertising and Marketing Communication18 months
You may visit www.northpointindia.com
or check our daily: http://northpointnotes.com/news/show.php?dd=2005-11-18&report;=1#3

Thanks Vinit ...

Tell me one more thing ...

IS Job Experience is important to join any Ad or masscomm coll...be it northpoint or Mica...or any other ??/
Nope! Job exp. is always an added advantage but not the necessary condition. So, chill!!

wish u best
Vinit
thanks buddy ....

Tc
Chandan