Analyzing the reasons for my rejects

Hi All, I got rejects at ISB and Oxford and i am trying to understand the reasons that may be responsible for them. Please provide your inputs on my analysis so that i may improve my results for the next time. My Motivations to apply at …

Hi All,

I got rejects at ISB and Oxford and i am trying to understand the reasons that may be responsible for them. Please provide your inputs on my analysis so that i may improve my results for the next time.

My Motivations to apply at ISB and Oxford were admissions being offered to candidiates with "Similar" profiles. For example a 700, 4 yrs exp in IT, modest extras, good acads. This is the profile set i fall into and it looked suitable to apply at ISB and Oxford where others of similar profiles got interviews/admits.

Let me give you a brief on my background:
GMAT 700 (Q 90, V 77, essay 4.0)
TOELF not taken
exp 4 yrs ( 1 year international)
Industry IT, top 10 IT comps of india
extras modest debating, college club president,
acads: 65% in B.Tech comp sci from an unknown college
12th 75%, 10 87%, some scholarships during school time

Now there are things like acads i cannot change, others may be i can like GMAT, TOEFL, work exp in another country, extras..please suggest what i should do to maximize my chances for admittance this year.....

BTW i was interviewed at ISB and Oxford and then rejected. I may be poor at interviewing ..thats one of the areas open for discussion...

Caveat: my personal opinion only. :)

"I got rejects at ISB and Oxford and i am trying to understand the reasons that may be responsible for them. Please provide your inputs on my analysis so that i may improve my results for the next time."
It is for you to start thinking of the reasons. others can only facilitate the thought process. i dont know you, how can i be expected to comment upon your life/study/affairs?

"My Motivations to apply at ISB and Oxford were admissions being offered to candidiates with "Similar" profiles. For example a 700, 4 yrs exp in IT, modest extras, good acads. This is the profile set i fall into and it looked suitable to apply at ISB and Oxford where others of similar profiles got interviews/admits."
I dont think there is a 'similar' profile thing in colleges. otherwise the whole claim of diversity would fall apart.

"Let me give you a brief on my background:
TOELF not taken
12th 75%, 10 87%, some scholarships during school time"

Dont get me wrong, but this isn't exactly stellar. also, you haven't mentioned much anyway. statistics dont tell much. (10 and +2 are irrelevant anyway)

"Now there are things like acads i cannot change, others may be i can like GMAT, TOEFL, work exp in another country, extras..please suggest what i should do to maximize my chances for admittance this year....."

i think GMAT is not bad, what do you say? TOEFL is totally dependent on the Insti. so why worry when u are not going to need it anyway. work ex in another country is helpful to an extent but it is more useful when you take the best out of it and express it.

"BTW i was interviewed at ISB and Oxford and then rejected. I may be poor at interviewing ..thats one of the areas open for discussion..."

so there you are. i can only give general statements. like I said, you need to think on your failures yourself.

Cheers

Kunal

P.S. I am also just a future applicant (for next fall)

I got rejects at ISB and Oxford and i am trying to understand the reasons that may be responsible for them.

I got rejects at ISB and LBS and i am trying to find the answers for some time now and think I have an idea.

Let me give you a brief on my background:
TOELF not taken
12th 75%, 10 87%, some scholarships during school time

Let me give you a brief of my background:
GMAT 700 (Q90 V85, essay 5.0)
TOEFL not taken
exp 5 yrs (some international)
Industry IT, been with top IT comps of India
extras good quizzing, founded college club, teaching
acads: 65% in MCA from an unknown college
B.Sc. lower 2nd class

Strikingly similar right ?

BTW i was interviewed at ISB and Oxford and then rejected. I may be poor at interviewing ..thats one of the areas open for discussion...

I was not interviewed at LBS and dinged at ISB *after* the interview, which I thought went off pretty well.

Getting the drift ?

Arun

hanu,
did you apply for other schools??
did you receive admissions in any of them??
if you could post them,then many pagals out here can help you to postmortem the results as the selection process for each and every premier school is unique..
we can draw comparison table for admission process in the schools..

Hi

well i did not apply anywhere else otehr than ISb and Ox and other institutes where i intend to apply are:

1. NUS
2. cambridge

But this time around i want to be better prepared..so i am trying to figure out the things i should improve

hi hanu,
Did you analyzed your Essays submitted to colleges? This could be oe reason
for rejection.

My best wishes for your next set of colleges.

regds,
Himanshu

hmm...i`m not so qualified to comment on this, but when has that ever stopped me?

One gaping hole i see is: where have you shown that you have good communication/verbal skills?

your job is technical, so no communication skills can be taken for granted. A marketing/sales guy's verbal can be assumed, not an IT guy's. I dont think your reco would have contained much of a mention of it either coz your recommenders would also have been technical ppl. Plus, your gmat score is split the usual way: super-quant + average verbal. This compounds the doubt further....is this guy that boring brown thing that grows in the corner cubicle unnoticed? Then, you have a 4.0 on your awa...which doesn`t help either. A 5/5.5/6 would have assured him/her that even if you cant deconstruct grammar,you can at least write well, and that`s good enuff. An excellent TOFEL score would have been your last saving grace...but you didn`t take the TOFEL at all, despite knowing that there was nothing stellar to prove out your verbal credentials. The adcomm guy would say...there was an obvious hole to be plugged, and this dude didn`t even make an attempt to plug it...did he not think it was important enough? is he the classic quant? However, since everything else with your application seemed fine enough, they gave you a chance to prove your verbals at an invterview. I dont know how it went, but unless you were absolutely fabulous at the interview, you were on your way out already.

Sorry if anything offended you, i was just trying to sound like Donald Trump....YOU'RE FIRED!

hey... i've heard that ISB gives you a feedback on improvement areas... Do get back to the ad-comm???...

Well I see one deficiency in your profile which could be pulling you down seriously and that is your Engluish language/communication proficiency.

In the GMAT you ahva 700 but its skewed i.e. its mostly becuase of Ur quantw with a lower Verbal score. Your GMAT essay is 4.0 i.e roughly 36 percentile.

I would suggest that you work on your english and get good score in Toeft/ELTS to fix this. Also make sure you get some other people to proof read ur essays before submitting them.

-Amit