Analyze and Discuss SC rules

Hello, GMAT SC is big pain area for me.All the existing threads related to SC concentrate around the kind of material that should be followed. I would actually like to understand why a particular option is correct or why a particular one incorre…

Hello, GMAT SC is big pain area for me.

All the existing threads related to SC concentrate around the kind of material that should be followed. I would actually like to understand why a particular option is correct or why a particular one incorrect. It would be nice if we do not discuss the books related to SC since we already have dozens of threads going on for the reference materials. Hope this helps!
PARALLELISM -

This century began with war brewing in Europe, the industrial revolution well-established, and a nascent communication age.
(A) war brewing in Europe, the industrial revolution well-established, and a nascent communication age.
(B) war brewing in Europe, the industrial revolution surging, and a nascent communication age.
(C) war in Europe, the industrial revolution well-established, and a nascent communication age.
(D) war brewing in Europe, the industrial revolution well-established, and the communication age beginning.
(E) war brewing in Europe, the industrial revolution well-established, and saw the birth of the communication age.

The answer is (D).
Choice (A) is incorrect. Although the first two phrases, war brewing in Europe and the industrial revolution well-established, have different structures, the thoughts are parallel. However, the third phrase, and a nascent communication age, is not parallel to the first two.
Choice (B) does not make the third phrase parallel to the first two.
Choice (C) changes the meaning of the sentence: the new formulation states that war already existed in Europe while the original sentence states that war was only developing.
Choice (D) offers three phrases in parallel form.
Choice (E) is not parallel since the first two phrases in the series are noun phrases, but saw the birth of the communication age is a verb phrase. When a word introduces a series, each element of the series must agree with the introductory word. You can test the correctness of a phrase in a series by dropping the other phrases and checking whether the remaining phrase agrees with the introductory word.
In this series, each phrase must be the object of the preposition with:
This century began with war brewing in Europe
This century began with the industrial revolution well-established
This century began with saw the birth of the communication age
In this form, it is clear the verb saw cannot be the object of the preposition with.

I may be wrong in my analysis and please correct me if I am! That is the point of the thread. 😃
A collection of 38 poems by Phillis Wheatley, a slave, was published in the
1770 €™s, the first book by a Black woman and it was only the second published by
an American woman.
(A) it was only the second published by an American woman
(B) it was only the second that an American woman published
(C) the second one only published by an American woman
(D) the second one only that an American woman published
(E) only the second published by an American woman

Correct Option: E

The subject of the phrase following comma is "book" and the subject of the underlined portion is also the "book". We do not need to add "it" to the part following the and. So options A and B can be eliminated. Out of C, D and E, C and D actually change the meaning. So E.
@Estallar12
I analyzed it as:

Its a list. So definitely parallelism issue. The first two begin with a noun followed by a verb.
war brewing, revolution well-established. But the third option begins with an adjective i.e. nascent followed by a noun and has no verb.

The only option that resolves this is D.

@reecha said:
@Estallar12
I analyzed it as:
Its a list. So definitely parallelism issue. The first two begin with a noun followed by a verb.
war brewing, revolution well-established. But the third option begins with an adjective i.e. nascent followed by a noun and has no verb.
The only option that resolves this is D.
Yeah. That is what I thought of.
All three should be Noun Phrase and so D. :)
@reecha said:
I may be wrong in my analysis and please correct me if I am! That is the point of the thread.
I guess, this purpose can be fulfilled on the already present GMAT or CAT Sentence Correction Threads too. What say Reecha ? :D
@Estallar12 said:
I guess, this purpose can be fulfilled on the already present GMAT or CAT Sentence Correction Threads too. What say Reecha ?
I guess you are right! i just couldnt find one when I was trying to find the forum.. All i could see were the ones that discussed what to refer and what not.. when i googled what you wrote.. i found one 😃
@reecha said:
I guess you are right! i just couldnt find one when I was trying to find the forum.. All i could see were the ones that discussed what to refer and what not.. when i googled what you wrote.. i found one
So, can we get this Thread closed and move to that one ? :D
And yeah, TAG me in that thread please :P