Analytical writing assessment - Need help

hello can any one tell me 1.In the overall GMAt score , Analytical assessment score is added or not 2.If yes, how is the marks around analytical assessment calculated pls any one help shilpi

hello
can any one tell me

1.In the overall GMAt score , Analytical assessment score is added or not
2.If yes, how is the marks around analytical assessment calculated

pls any one help

shilpi

hello
can any one tell me

pls any one help

shilpi

1. No, AWA score is not added.

2. The grading system for the essays is nicely explained in the OG and if i am not wrong, Princeton Review. The AWA consists of two essays

1. Analysis of an Issue
2. Analysis of an Argument

your essays are graded on a 1 to 6 scale, with 6 being the highest grade for a high quality essay. Its useful to have a template for the essays. Again, you can find the templates in Princeton Review. The Writing assessment is graded seperately by a program (e-rater) and a 'human' grader.

Hope this helps
htown

Thanks Cat Guru
I want to know the purpose of AWA .If this is not added to toverall score of GMAt then WHY AWA?

hello
can any one tell me

pls any one help

shilpi

1. No, AWA score is not added.

2. The grading system for the essays is nicely explained in the OG and if i am not wrong, Princeton Review. The AWA consists of two essays

1. Analysis of an Issue
2. Analysis of an Argument

your essays are graded on a 1 to 6 scale, with 6 being the highest grade for a high quality essay. Its useful to have a template for the essays. Again, you can find the templates in Princeton Review. The Writing assessment is graded seperately by a program (e-rater) and a 'human' grader.

Hope this helps
htown
Thanks Cat Guru
I want to know the purpose of AWA .If this is not added to toverall score of GMAt then WHY AWA?

I am not sure if this helps at all, but this is really a question for ETS to answer. You may email ETS at [email protected] for a detailed clarification. If it helps, consider the following quotes from the gmac website

"The Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is designed as a direct measure of your ability to think critically and to communicate your ideas"

"The Analysis of an Issue tests your ability to explore the complexities of an issue or opinion and, if appropriate, to take a position that is informed by your understanding."

"The Analysis of an Argument tests your ability to formulate an appropriate and constructive critique of a specific conclusion based on a specific line of thinking."

Htown

AWA - what worked for me

i wrote short sentences. made sure there no grammatical errors whatsoever, simply because the sentences were so short.

had a couple of templates i had created for myself for both the essays ( borrowing heavily from the princeton and kaplan examples ). day before the test, thrashed out a few topics with my friends as an oral debate. made sure that i had at least 5 minutes left after writing each essay to proofread it. made sure each paragraph contained just one idea. made sure there were concrete examples in the issue essay, to support general statements i made.

i made a 6.0, and i know i suck in writing essays 😃

HI,

i got a 5.5 in my AWA.

AWA is not counted in the overall GMAT score.

But it does have a reason apart from the reasons mentioned by HTOWNER..

I am not sure if this helps at all, but this is really a question for ETS to answer. You may email ETS at [email protected] for a detailed clarification. If it helps, consider the following quotes from the gmac website

"The Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is designed as a direct measure of your ability to think critically and to communicate your ideas"

"The Analysis of an Issue tests your ability to explore the complexities of an issue or opinion and, if appropriate, to take a position that is informed by your understanding."

"The Analysis of an Argument tests your ability to formulate an appropriate and constructive critique of a specific conclusion based on a specific line of thinking."

As we all know, we are required to write essays as part of the application process. And, it is quite easy to get professional help in writing your essay.
So, if your AWA score doesnt match with the quality of your essay, the admission committee can get suspicios. FOe eg, if u have excellent essays, but a poor AWA score of below 4, the admission committee will get suspicious.

Apart from that, it solves no purpose.

samarth