Analytical Writing Assesment

Hi folks, I was studying the AWA topics published by ETS and found the following in “Analysis of Argument”. I could not find a worthwhile flaw in the argument. Can anyone help? -----------------------------------------------------------------…

Hi folks,
I was studying the AWA topics published by ETS and found the following in "Analysis of Argument". I could not find a worthwhile flaw in the argument. Can anyone help?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a newspaper.
Last year when Washington County received a special appropriation for improving high-way safety, it spent all those funds to straighten
sections of certain roads. Unfortunately, the number of traffic accidents in the county was actually higher than in the previous year.
Although Adams County received a smaller appropriation for improving highway safety, it hired more police officers and enforced traffic
laws more strictly. Last year Adams County reported 15 percent fewer traffic accidents than during the previous year. Since money for
improving highway safety throughout the state is limited, the state can achieve greater success with less expenditure by using all such funds
for stricter enforcement of speed limits.
Discuss how well reasoned . . .
etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,
I was studying the AWA topics published by ETS and found the following in "Analysis of Argument". I could not find a worthwhile flaw in the argument. Can anyone help?

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a newspaper.
Last year when Washington County received a special appropriation for improving high-way safety, it spent all those funds to straighten
sections of certain roads. Unfortunately, the number of traffic accidents in the county was actually higher than in the previous year.
Although Adams County received a smaller appropriation for improving highway safety, it hired more police officers and enforced traffic
laws more strictly. Last year Adams County reported 15 percent fewer traffic accidents than during the previous year. Since money for
improving highway safety throughout the state is limited, the state can achieve greater success with less expenditure by using all such funds
for stricter enforcement of speed limits.
Discuss how well reasoned . . .
etc.

Very quickly...theres atleast one flaw!
numbers and percentages....always be on a lookout for these...

even if number increaed...accidents as percent of total traffic may have decreased....

similarily if percent has decreased doesnt mean that percent of total traffic has decreased....
eg...

adam county : previous yr traffic = 200
accidents = 100 ..... 50% accidents
this year traffic is 100
accident 80 ...80% accidents

so u see that condition has worsened ....but accidents still reduced by 20%
so u see it doesn giv u a true picture...
adam may be doin bad....

opposite for washington...

hope that helps!

I wud suggest you to apply ur CR knowledge here....thats why you should see how CR questions are framed...

cheers!