An International MBA - Part 6

An International MBA - Part 6 – Sowmya In the sixth installment of the wildly famous “An International MBA” series, the authoress talks about the best ways to get a good recommendation for your b-school applications. Read here

An International MBA - Part 6
-- Sowmya

In the sixth installment of the wildly famous "An International MBA" series, the authoress talks about the best ways to get a good recommendation for your b-school applications.

Read here

As usual, another awesome post by Simba And taking time out for this article when she's all set to leave to her school, speaks a lot of her commitment in helping others... Rock on pal :)

Cheers

As usual, another awesome post by Simba And taking time out for this article when she's all set to leave to her school, speaks a lot of her commitment in helping others... Rock on pal :)

Cheers

Hey Subbu, actually sitting down & writing the article was really difficult.. my mind was just not getting into the act 😃 Dunno when I can put up the next but will def try to complete the Application Game!!! 😃

hi simba,
let me begin by saying that your articles are truly enlightening and a grrrreat help!! :thumbsup:
your commitment to help others is admirable, to say the least. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am a 19 yr old, in 3rd yr of the college, pursuing B.E. At this stage, I need to make a decision b/w CAT and GMAT. although u hav discussed it, another thing that i'd like to ask abt is the cost factor? is the cost of doing an MBA frm abroad prohibitively high? i heard that it costs smething like rs. 60lacs!! :shock:
some ppl, therefore, plan to go for an M.S., earn enuf, and then go for GMAT. what do u think of this strategy of doing a double post-grad?? :tellme:

also, MBA is a very vague word. i mean, there are so many courses that one can go into. how does 1 kno which course is right for him? like if i want to remain with the IT industry, what kind of options are there for someone like me? some ppl. say that B.E. and MBA in Finance is a "hot" combination; but doesn't MBA Finance mean that our B.E. is rendered useless???? :tellme:

i'd really appreciate if u cud take some time out to answer my queries.
thanks.

I am a 19 yr old, in 3rd yr of the college, pursuing B.E. At this stage, I need to make a decision b/w CAT and GMAT. although u hav discussed it, another thing that i'd like to ask abt is the cost factor? is the cost of doing an MBA frm abroad prohibitively high? i heard that it costs smething like rs. 60lacs!! :shock:
some ppl, therefore, plan to go for an M.S., earn enuf, and then go for GMAT. what do u think of this strategy of doing a double post-grad?? :tellme:

Hmm, I would suggest u stand better chances at CAT than at GMAT considering the challenges u might face when applying abroad. Yes, it does cost anywherfe b/w 40-60 lkhs Rs. The strategy does sound good if u have a lot of time & resources in hand to go for a double masters!! 😃

also, MBA is a very vague word. i mean, there are so many courses that one can go into. how does 1 kno which course is right for him? like if i want to remain with the IT industry, what kind of options are there for someone like me? some ppl. say that B.E. and MBA in Finance is a "hot" combination; but doesn't MBA Finance mean that our B.E. is rendered useless???? :tellme:

MBA is a vague word because u havent been exposed to the the kind of work ppl get to do in a corporate industry. 😃 The right course might hit upon you after u spend atleast coupla years working!!! Many ppl say a lot of things are 'HOT'... but its better you graduate & work for a few years before u can take that next step!! 😃

Cheers,
Simba

thanks a lot simba, thanks for all your time.
but i really hoped that u wud say 60 lacs is an incorrect info. i hoped that i had heard it wrong, that it must b 16 n not 60!!!
sigh, i guess an international mba wud remain a dream! :sad:

anyways, once again, thanks for replying.

hey, i just found ur article abt financing on ur blog! :drinking:
though i cudnt really understand all the details, but looks like its not all that impossible after all!!!
actually, i didnt want to go for an MS for an MBA sake! it doesnt appear to be such a good strategy to me. i didnt want to opt for either MS or CAT becoz every1 is doing so. as even u suggested, i wanted to hav a first-hand experience of being in teh corporate industry and then decide my next step. but that wud mean that I wud hav lost enuf years to put MS out of the picture.
may be i can still go for the 'phoren' MBA after having done a job here in india; may be funding is not such a big problem. didnt ur blog mean that?! 😉

once again, thanks!

may be i can still go for the 'phoren' MBA after having done a job here in india; may be funding is not such a big problem. didnt ur blog mean that?! 😉

once again, thanks!

Sure. No problem. :)Yes, there are funding means... & it is a good idea to look abroad after u work for a few years!! That way you can gain more from the MBA program!! :)

Simba -

hi all
this is my first post at pagalguy nd need the help of veterans like simba
i am applying to ISB for 2006 session and would like some expert opinion frm u guys about my chances.
here are my details:
Acads: 10 th-94%,12th_80%, civil engg-71%
gmat : 700
Work ex:2 yrs as operations officer in Bharat petroleum .
currently a full time stock trader with plans to open own stock broking firm after mba
Strong areas:Top campus offer in college
2 yrs job profile included managing all operations of the company in the city
left a fortune 500 co. to do own thing(enterpruenerial bug)

i will b vry happy if simba or some other expert can help
thanx

Acads: 10 th-94%,12th_80%, civil engg-71%
gmat : 700
Work ex:2 yrs as operations officer in Bharat petroleum .
currently a full time stock trader with plans to open own stock broking firm after mba
Strong areas:Top campus offer in college
2 yrs job profile included managing all operations of the company in the city
left a fortune 500 co. to do own thing(enterpruenerial bug)

i will b vry happy if simba or some other expert can help
thanx

I would recommend you to read all the articles that i have written as i have clearly said that just a profile is not enough... there goes a lot of substance in the application 😃

any specific queries, shoot!!

Cheers

Hi Simba,

I am currently doing my MBA in NITIE, Mumbai. I had two years of work-ex prior to joining NITIE. After completing my current course, I'd like to work for 3 years and then apply for a second MBA abroad. Given that the GMAT score has a validity of five years, is it wise to take up the GMAT while I'm still studying in NITIE? Once I start working I'm not sure whether I'd be able to dedicate time to prepare for the GMAT.

I have heard that the top universities do not consider GMAT scores that are older that 2 years. Is that true?

Looking forward to hearing your views.
Regards,
yak

Hi Simba,

I am currently doing my MBA in NITIE, Mumbai. I had two years of work-ex prior to joining NITIE. After completing my current course, I'd like to work for 3 years and then apply for a second MBA abroad. Given that the GMAT score has a validity of five years, is it wise to take up the GMAT while I'm still studying in NITIE? Once I start working I'm not sure whether I'd be able to dedicate time to prepare for the GMAT.

I have heard that the top universities do not consider GMAT scores that are older that 2 years. Is that true?

Looking forward to hearing your views.
Regards,
yak

Hmmm.. pal, MBA should not be a goal!! It is just a means to get you wherever you want to go! I really dont understand why you would want to waste an MBA you have now & worry about GMAT etc etc.. make the best use of time & money already spent. 😃 But if u still need the answer.. well, GMAT is valid for 5 years but schools dont usually prefer scores less than 2 years old.. but thats my opinion, there might be a few schools that might!

Cheers