An International MBA - Part 5

An International MBA - Part 5 In the fifth installment of the wildly famous “An International MBA” series, the authoress talks about leaping onto the bandwagon of essay-writers as the essays form one of the biggest deciding factors in the ent…

An International MBA - Part 5

In the fifth installment of the wildly famous "An International MBA" series, the authoress talks about leaping onto the bandwagon of essay-writers as the essays form one of the biggest deciding factors in the entire Application Game is the Application Essay.

Now that you have set your eyes on the right schools, you should not waste even a single momentleap onto the bandwagon of essay-writers! One of the biggest deciding factors in the entire Application Game is the Application Essay.

Jeez, what is an essay?

Each school abroad, no matter how big or how small, places a lot of emphasis on the admission essays. Your undergrad and GMAT scores are all indicative of what you are but the admission officers are more interested in know who you are, beyond those numbers and designations. They want to know the person within you; know about your goals, passions, values, dreams etc. They evaluate you amongst the thousands of others who have applied along with you. They are interested in knowing how unique you are and how the community will benefit by having you around.

In the 3000 - 6000 odd people who apply to each business school, there are number of engineers, accountants and consultants. But each person will have had different experiences and hence write different stories. The essays provide an opportunity to the prospective student to talk to the admission officers and narrate his/her story in a natural & passionate way.

Lot of things are noted in your essays viz. your writing style, art of communicating, maturity, future career goals, understanding of the MBA program, team-working style etc. Essays are the windows which allow the admission officers to peek into your lifestyle; charm it up and impress them so much that they will want to see the complete you in their business school... more>>
Read the complete article at our portal. Click here
About the Authoress

The authoress, Sowmya aka Simba is one of the moderators of PaGaLGuY forum. She is currently working with a leading telecom provider in Mumbai, India and apart from being a regular volunteer of MLCS group; she has diverse interests in various activities that are beyond the scope of this small introduction. Having seen the admission process with interviews et al for 2 continuous years and being successful in getting admitted into 5 and a schools out of 7 schools. She is now heading to the Duke University, Fuqua School of Business and she is enthused to help others go through the maze of applying and getting accepted by schools abroad.

Its an excellent article for essays. :smilecol:

Essays are one aspect which i feel sends shivers to the majority of the folk. Many of the schools requirement for essay size is 5 or 6 pages double size ( please correct me if am wrong as i have only gone through the app forms of a couple of schools). Its not easy to keep on bragging about oneself (sorry for the use of the term). Also it becomes difficult to draw a balance between modesty and boasting. But i guess that is what seperates the best from the rest.

The article does help in giving general guidelines. It would surely help all aspirants like me

Essays are one aspect which i feel sends shivers to the majority of the folk. Many of the schools requirement for essay size is 5 or 6 pages double size ( please correct me if am wrong as i have only gone through the app forms of a couple of schools).

I think only Stanford (& Oxford, I think!) has that & yes, it is scary!! 😃 All others have reasonable word limits!!

Its not easy to keep on bragging about oneself (sorry for the use of the term).

Yes, we Indians are taught from childhood not to boast & to act otherwise on an essay is kinda difficult... but after a couple of them, u will be master in it!! 😃

Also it becomes difficult to draw a balance between modesty and boasting. But i guess that is what seperates the best from the rest.

Well, guess u are right... u tilt either sides & u may slip!!

All the Best
Simbaaaaaaa

Great Article series...
Now what exactly does admits in 5 1/2 schools mean?

K

Awesome article, as usual I guess the questions that you've discussed here are pretty much as important for the PI stage of Indian b-schools too ....Keep 'em Coming :)

Cheers

Great Article series...
Now what exactly does admits in 5 1/2 schools mean?

K

The 1/2 is her Wharton Waitlist
pagalguy Says
The 1/2 is her Wharton Waitlist

Hi All.
Talking about Essay writing, do you feel that we should refrain from using Local/ Communal/ Religious jargons?
I mean, we can not talk about ourselves only in English. For example (and a modest one), if I have to mention Masala Dosa & Sambar, how will I write it on essay? Should I first explain them what the dish is Or should I not write/mention it at all?
Please suggest me. I have drafted a couple of essays, but now I realise that they contain a few such words & jargons. And now I am confused.
Thanks.
How to write an essay for mba 2+2 program@harvard?

I am applying for 2+2 program at Harvard. If somebody can give me tips regarding how to start my essays then it'll be very helpful. Also if somebody can tell me about a good professional in Delhi( India) who can help me out

interesting