An International MBA - Part 4

Hello there! How have things been with you? I hope with the calendar in hand, you are now in a comfortable position to look closer at the Application Game. Now, I am making a safe presumption that you are done with the GMAT and have had a fantasti…

Hello there! How have things been with you? I hope with the calendar in hand, you are now in a comfortable position to look closer at the Application Game. Now, I am making a safe presumption that you are done with the GMAT and have had a fantastic score. Even if the score is not so great and you feel that you may as well concentrate on other parts of your application, then it is just fine. There are after all many things you should be working on rather than holding on to a bad exam score. Just move on in the application process and we will see how things turn out.

What is it about the Fit?

If you have been in this MBA mode for a while and have become a prowler lurking around MBA/ discussion forums, then you must be hearing a lot about words such as right school, the fit etc. During the initial few days, it will definitely be difficult to gauge how right or wrong the schools will turn out to be for you, after all thousands of students graduate from Top Business Schools and it is not that you will be the only misfit out there! But still a careful study of the available programs in different schools and some good research can make you feel much better about spending your hard earned money on those applications and school visits.

To read more - click here

Yet again, another fab article from Sowyma... :)

Hmm...just thinking aloud..Mebbe we could actually get a collection of these added along with more sound-bytes and make it the "Simba's Guide to GMAT for Pagals"....Am sure junta would be willin to pay for that 😉

Rock on pal :)

Cheers

Hmm...just thinking aloud..Mebbe we could actually get a collection of these added along with more sound-bytes and make it the "Simba's Guide to GMAT for Pagals"....Am sure junta would be willin to pay for that 😉

Cheers

Thanks Subbu, your comments sure perk me up!! 😃 Simba's guide... hmmm... not so soon.. but sure it will be great idea if I can provide some more sound-bytes!! 😃 😉

not just he(urMad) but me 2 consider ur posts as a real helpful guide for a person who seeks to do his management studies abroad...u seem to really have the heart to perk up the preparations of a lot of guys out there....personally me not lookin for a foreign MBA at present (me without workex)...but do love readin ur posts...

Ashish

Gr8 article..
As fantastic as ur previous ones..
Feels gr8 to kno tat there r ppl on this forum who r willing to giude us right thro the process..
I just hav a small querry..
Do u think websites will give info regardin which course in good in any particular coll..
mailin the students is another option but how feasible is it..
n i don trust rankings anymore..
esp international coll's uve got 6 US rankings..and more fr others..
evn thy dont mention the expertise of any particular coll
Its a puzzle really..
Cn u thro sum lights on it..

humanrace Says
Do u think websites will give info regardin which course in good in any particular coll..

See, firstly u need to get outta this course thing. 😃 The B Schools abroad provide a world-class MBA program with loads & loads of electives. So, u will be taking electives in line with ur future career goals. But still there are schools which offer good electives for some stream-lined fields viz. Marketing, Consulting, General Management...that also means that u have great electives & also great profs to teach these subjects.

And yes, u do get rankings as per the classifications. Like Kellogg offers fantastic program for Marketing & Stern/ Wharton for Finance.... etc etc. Not only the school websites but also other numerous sites like BW, US News discuss these 'courses' in different schools.

mailin the students is another option but how feasible is it..

Sorry, dont think you can enjoy this facility till you get admitted or he/she is ur friend already. The next best option is hanging around the S2S & BW forums where some of the current students handle some queries.

n i don trust rankings anymore..
esp international coll's uve got 6 US rankings..and more fr others..

And why not? 😃 There are innumerable rankings & you need to use them to help u filter down ur choices. From there on, u can research into individual schools. If u say that the rankings differ drastically, u might be true to some extent but if u see a lil closer, some of the Best schools .. ie the well known schools wander around the same rankings.. give or take some! Also the rankings u see differ because each of the rankings take different parameters to consideration. Check out BW forum rankings.. compare it with FT rankings.. they will talk about the parameters that have been the deciing factors. Now, if u are on ur way to become an education consulatnt, u can spend loads of time understanding the exact impact of these...but if u are a prospective student, just let it pass... pick up a few schools & move on!!

evn thy dont mention the expertise of any particular coll

They do... I would suggest u pick up a copy of Richard Mauntauk's 'How to make it to TOP MBA Schools'.. he has discussed a few ranking strategies.. & listed the schools as per specifications.

Its a puzzle really..

It is not... just a lil hazy.. walk around it... u will start getting comfy with all these...then u will be writing such posts like this one ;-)

Cheers

In choosing schools how important is the consideration of " Location ". Certainly the proximity of an industry does help. But from the prospective of an international student what are criterias one should look out for in a particular region or city.Can anyone throw more light on the same.

Would like to know for specific details like which regions are famous for what industry. I know only about five big centres,

North Eastern Coastal Region for Finance
California for IT and Hi Technology
Michigan for Automobile
Texas for Petroleum Ind
Virginia for Public Policy

if anyone knows more about regions which are famous for different industries, please post the same.

Lastly, its a nice article, though i believe the parameters to choose a right school would have to decided by an individual himself but the article would definately aid in finding the right parameters.:eh:

How many years of work experience is required for the GMBA program at S P Jain School of global management?

@paromita25

How many years of work experience is required for the GMBA program at S P Jain School of global management?

More than three years of work experience is required for applying for the GMBA program.

@shravan12

More than three years of work experience is required for applying for the GMBA program.

Is it a tri-city course?

@paromita25

Is it a tri-city course?

Yes, it is. Go through this link for more information: http://www.spjain.org/gmba/index.aspx

@shravan12

Yes, it is. Go through this link for more information: http://www.spjain.org/gmba/index.aspx

Thanks a lot! Your answers have been very helpful