An International MBA - Part 1

A series of articles regarding MBA programs and US B-Schools will be put up on a weekly basis. These are mostly a students perception of the entire application process and in no way unquestionable. This is not the one-stop for all the information …

A series of articles regarding MBA programs and US B-Schools will be put up on a weekly basis. These are mostly a students perception of the entire application process and in no way unquestionable. This is not the one-stop for all the information you ever wanted about acquiring an MBA abroad. But for starters, it is a feeble attempt from the authors side to encourage prospective MBA students to look at various opportunities outside India. The sole purpose, here, is to create some kind of awareness by clearly demarcating the black/white from the grey areas. Just a plain honest attempt to make a few things less hazier than they actually are!

An International MBA Part I
Global MBA... Why not!

At the end of the day, it is all in the mind. See, an MBA anywhere will obviously give you some requisite skills to sustain in some kind of industry or business. So, when you are in the peak of your career and look back, it doesnt matter whether you graduated from X, Y or Z Business School in India or abroad It might not matter to you but for people around you, it always will. There are some amazing schools in India and after graduating from the IIMs, ISB, XLRIs etc, you will surely be among the coveted few. But that is not the point we are discussing here.......

To read the entire article, please head over to our portal :

http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=8&p2;_articleid=65
You can comment on the portal after logging in to the same.

Three cheers for this!

Make sure you give us some major inside info if possible on some less-apped univs which are high on financial aid possibilities. I think one should go for the top 10 but other than these, its prudent to alongside go for financial aid giving univs... The visas are easier and there is a good risk/reward ratio in such cases. Ofcourse thats what I believe right now...

K

Make sure you give us some major inside info if possible on some less-apped univs which are high on financial aid possibilities. I think one should go for the top 10 but other than these, its prudent to alongside go for financial aid giving univs... The visas are easier and there is a good risk/reward ratio in such cases. Ofcourse thats what I believe right now...

K

Hmmm, actually u are wrong. It is no way easier for the visa if u get into less acclaimed univs. Actually, the bigger univs will give u a name that nobody can deny. But as long as u dont axe ur own foot in the consulate, its just fine!!

Less-apped univs.. hmmm... I am more or less looking at the TOP ones & why it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE to get in!! 😃

Less-apped univs.. hmmm... I am more or less looking at the TOP ones & why it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE to get in!! :)

No I was saying as backups if someone fails to make any top 10 univ... and is desperate to run to the Land for the Free...
I think you can afford to look at only at the TOP ones... reminds me of that line from a hindi movie...

Aap Mahaan Hain, ShaktiMaan Hain, BuddhiMaan Hain,
Balki Aap Purush Hi Nahin Hain, Arre Aap Aurat Hain!

K

whoa Simba u r cute!...Guess avatars can be deceptive

No I was saying as backups if someone fails to make any top 10 univ... and is desperate to run to the Land for the Free...
I think you can afford to look at only at the TOP ones... reminds me of that line from a hindi movie...

K

Arre Bhaiyya mere, that is the whole point, to try for the best... We will come to safe colleges too but I wont be aware of all the details in those!!! And me able to afford, No.. neither monetary nor otherwise. Yes, we will discuss all that!! :)

convolutedsignal Says
whoa Simba u r cute!...Guess avatars can be deceptive

LOL, And I assumed my avtaar was cute all along!! LOL!!!

Hie Simbaa...

Hie!! like many around... had certain myths reg International MBA! wat better advise than from the horses mouth!

i have heard about this course for MS in Financial Management ..... seems like some sought after course for engrs these days?! wats ur opinion about it!? any idea!?

also... reg the MBAs offered by the Yankees..... aint they too harsh on our pockets!? or aids available all along?! also.... wats the general work ex they ask for?! 3 yrs?! and.... does an international work-ex ... say in the middle-east of europe have more weightage?!

Hi Simba

What u had written about was about aiming for the best ,but I suppose to get thru the top 10 schools u need to have a whole lot of things !!First and foremost is the guts to take a risk and that too a huge one ,that I might be left jobless after the MBA and the whole so called investment might go totally awry.So I would really like to know how can we reduce this risk factor?
Secondly ,if I join a college outside the elite group what advantages do I have when compared to the beau monde IndianB-Schools.

What u had written about was about aiming for the best ,but I suppose to get thru the top 10 schools u need to have a whole lot of things !!First and foremost is the guts to take a risk and that too a huge one ,that I might be left jobless after the MBA and the whole so called investment might go totally awry.So I would really like to know how can we reduce this risk factor?
Secondly ,if I join a college outside the elite group what advantages do I have when compared to the beau monde IndianB-Schools.

I think u shud look at brighter side of the things.........the fact that u r aiming for top B-schools implies that u r minimizing the risk of being jobless ........moreover theres no safer option than MBA if u r looking for lucrative job options ..ofcourse u can minimize the risk ..

1. go for MBA preferably after 2 yrs of work ex so that ur work ex add value to ur MBA or vice-a versa

2. Choose streams which have broader scope e.g Finance , Marketing

3. Calculate ROI ....act accordingly

Hi . thank you v.much to the ppl who have started thsi thread ..

I have 4+ yrs of experience in S/W industry .. I want to do
MBA abroad ..but I was scared abt the cost and stuuff .. so am in dilemma ..
my profile cannot be said as excellent but its decent enough .. I have BE CSE from a decent university college ..

1)what time shud I finish taking my GMAT to apply for fall 2006 to have good chance of acceptance

2)how much does it cost to do MBA .. is there any financial aid ..becoz the cost of MBA is far far beyond what I can afford

3) how much preperation on avg is required to take GMAT ,I mean how many months

4)is it not worthy enough to do MBA if I dont get through the top 15 schools

5)is it advisable to use the services of Essaay writing websites .. or not ?

please help me out with these queries

I think u shud look at brighter side of the things.........the fact that u r aiming for top B-schools implies that u r minimizing the risk of being jobless ........moreover theres no safer option than MBA if u r looking for lucrative job options ..ofcourse u can minimize the risk ..

1. go for MBA preferably after 2 yrs of work ex so that ur work ex add value to ur MBA or vice-a versa

2. Choose streams which have broader scope e.g Finance , Marketing

3. Calculate ROI ....act accordingly

The advice was a good one ,probably i was being a bit too pessimistic in my approach,because after the mail i had analysed the scenario and had eventually come to a conclusion that the risk of me getting thru an elite Indian B-school is same as that thru a top International one ,probably a few points down :).Neways will think about this thing.

Dude, actually the risk of doin an mba from US is quite high as you mentioned in your previous post. Unlike India, it does not matter MUCH where you graduate from in the US (ofcourse not the lower rungs)....so getting a job for international students depends on a lot of factors----mainly economy ! your school, gpa and other things are secondary. I have seen people from many good b-schools in the US coming back to India after spending lacs of Rs back in 2002. On the other hand if u do get a good offer, you are on top of the world....not only are looin at ROI within a span of 3 to 4 years but are also globally managing some real business issues. So I would say you are not being pessimistic but are weighing all options.

Atlast one advice: If n if u are doin an mba in the US, do it from the top 10 !

its better to go onsite, weigh the options n then decide coz sitting here does not give you a clear picture of what actually is needed. Always "grass is greener on the other side of the fence"

Cheers !

maximus_maven Says
The advice was a good one ,probably i was being a bit too pessimistic in my approach,because after the mail i had analysed the scenario and had eventually come to a conclusion that the risk of me getting thru an elite Indian B-school is same as that thru a top International one ,probably a few points down :).Neways will think about this thing.

Have been neglecting this thread for a while... Ok, let me see...

i have heard about this course for MS in Financial Management ..... seems like some sought after course for engrs these days?! wats ur opinion about it!? any idea!?

No Monil, I have some ideas about MBA, that too from the TOP ones. But I havent dealt with anythingelse! :smile:

reachmonil Says
also... reg the MBAs offered by the Yankees..... aint they too harsh on our pockets!? or aids available all along?! also.... wats the general work ex they ask for?! 3 yrs?! and.... does an international work-ex ... say in the middle-east of europe have more weightage?!

Yes, it is harsh on our pockets & on anybody's pockets. Thats why I am wrting a series of articles, so that people are aware about options & whether these options are even worthwhile to look at. I think I have said, 4 yrs of work ex is good. International workex gives u a lil weightage as it basically means that u have worked with foreigners & have fared well!! :smile:

-----------------------------

First and foremost is the guts to take a risk and that too a huge one ,that I might be left jobless after the MBA and the whole so called investment might go totally awry.So I would really like to know how can we reduce this risk factor?

LOL, theres risk in everything... everyday u step out of home, whats the gurantee that u will go back safe!! JK! But yes, it is a huge investement... more than guts, u must think logically about ur chances post-mba. Theres no way to reduce risk-factor.. if u mean finance wise, then settle for an Indian MBA which is MUCH MUCH cheaper cost-wise.

I think the Part 2 of the article which was put up 2 days back will help u!! :smile:

-----------------------------
I have 4+ yrs of experience in S/W industry .. I want to do
MBA abroad ..but I was scared abt the cost and stuuff .. so am in dilemma ..
my profile cannot be said as excellent but its decent enough .. I have BE CSE from a decent university college ..

1)what time shud I finish taking my GMAT to apply for fall 2006 to have good chance of acceptance

To apply for Fall 2006, it is ideal if u can apply for Round1(R1) which is around Oct-Nov in top schools. So, finishing the GMAT by Aug is ideal becos if u end up with a bad score.. u have time to retake the exam & apply by R1.

2)how much does it cost to do MBA .. is there any financial aid ..becoz the cost of MBA is far far beyond what I can afford

Yes, it will set u back by around 100 k or 120 k$. Finacial aid is very very limited in TOP Schools becos u are competing with some of the best profiles. U can look for loan options from B-schools... with & without US co-signor. :smile:

3) how much preperation on avg is required to take GMAT ,I mean how many months

Keep atleast 2 months serious study time.. to basically pick up ur verbal score! :smile:

4)is it not worthy enough to do MBA if I dont get through the top 15 schools

Hmmmm....is it worthy to settle for Welinker or NIRMA if u know that IIMA is within ur reach. Its all a matter of perception!!

5)is it advisable to use the services of Essaay writing websites .. or not ?

Hmmm, it is advisable if ur writing skills are pathetic!! But be advised that the Adcoms have read thousands of essays.. urs shouldn't sound like other 100s of them who have used the essay experts. :smile:

Cheers,
Simba

Hi Simba,

well what can i say this article has broken another MYTH, all along i thought uwere a guy (so was simba..remember).

Anyways the thing i wanted to ask to u is that what abt MBA's in UK, how do they fare in comparision to indian B-schools, any thoughts on that.

I ask this bcas i have recently got an unconditional offer for a full-time MBA course from Cardiff Business School, UK.

cheers,

vinod.

I will be graduating in March 06 (Hopefully) in Economics(3 year course)

Acads are no problems and eca are also top notch.
Costs are not a factor as well.
But there is no work ex.

So should i apply for GMAT this year or no. My target is only the ivy league or else i would pursue PGDM at IIM

I will be graduating in March 06 (Hopefully) in Economics(3 year course)

Acads are no problems and eca are also top notch.
Costs are not a factor as well.
But there is no work ex.

So should i apply for GMAT this year or no. My target is only the ivy league or else i would pursue PGDM at IIM

I presume you are 20 or 21. You will be competing with some of the best minds from TOP notch universities with close to 5-10 yrs work experience. What do u feel ur chances are? Suitably make some wise decisions. See, if u wanna take a chance by applying to 2 univs & be prepared for everything. You never know, u might make it!! 😃

Simba