American applying IIMs and others- I think I have a chance

Hi, I’m an American (Not an NRI, just a regular white, corn-fields, hot dogs, and SUVs American) who is set on doing his MBA in India. I’ve applied to a few schools other schools like SP Jain and FMS, but I’m also applying to some IIMs (B,C,I…

Hi,

I'm an American (Not an NRI, just a regular white, corn-fields, hot dogs, and SUVs American) who is set on doing his MBA in India. I've applied to a few schools other schools like SP Jain and FMS, but I'm also applying to some IIMs (B,C,I,L,K).

I do think that I stand a good chance for admission with 750 on the GMAT, 2 years work experience, a high GPA, and bilingual ability (Japanese).

I'd like to here what you guys think out here in the forums.
What should I write in my statements and bring up in any interviews that might result?

I intend to specialize in operations/systems with a focus on applying Japanese/Western quality control and productivity techniques to the rapidly growing Indian manufacturing sector.

As far as a post-degree career I could see myself going in 3 directions:
1. Consulting
2. Manufacturing
3. US Diplomatic corp or economic policy

Which one of these sounds most appealing to an Indian admissions officer?

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania which has given very pragmatic, hands-on approach to life and to business; one which sometimes conflicts with the more abstract, boardroom brand of thinking of Indian thinking. I like nothing better to get in there and get dirty, that's why I want to do operations/logistics.

Would you guys recommend bringing these things up? Are the IIMs looking for diversity in thought and background, or should I assume from the very low numbers of foreign students, that this is of little concern and that they are only after individuals who fit the typical model. (Middle-class to upper-class upbringing--> Engineering degree --> Study your brains out to Crack the CAT --> Find a big-name job in financail analysis or strategic planning)
I'm sorry if my tone seems a little unpleasant, it is not meant that way I want to hear people's thoughts. (I have great respect for, faith in the future of India, I wouldn't be condsidering an MBA here if I did not.)

My current list in order of preference is as follows, please correct me where I might be mistaken. I'm not just looking at rankings but at the strength of operations programs and other factors.

1. IIM-B
2. IIM-C
3. IIM-I
3. IIM-L
3. SP Jain
6. FMS
7. IIM-K
8. IIFT

I missed the deadline for IIM-A, that's why it's not on the list.

Thanks and I hope to get lots of feedback....

One last thing, I've read there is an American at IIM-C named Travis, could anybody put me in touch with him???

PM me with your email id and I can put you in touch with someone at IIM-C.