All Calls except IIM-A

I look at my previous posts in these forums and have a good laugh. I used to post here back in 2006, when I was being traumatized as a fresher at Infosys. I wanted to quit and runaway back then. 5 years have passed. And 5 more years down the …

I look at my previous posts in these forums and have a good laugh. I used to post here back in 2006, when I was being traumatized as a fresher at Infosys. I wanted to quit and runaway back then.

5 years have passed. And 5 more years down the line I'll probably laugh harder at this post. I think the ridiculousness of things increases as we mature, and things that appeared extremely significant, working us up every now and then, turn out to be not so important after all.

The latest dilemma is a bit different though, and that's where you, the pagalguy audience come in. I know I can get some top notch advice here that I won't find elsewhere. So here goes:

I've got calls from all IIM's except Ahmedabad. Mr. Topper huh? Nopes, I'm a reserved candidate. So I really don't belong to the creme-de-la-creme general category crowd that makes it to these institutions. That doesn't mean I'm a complete moron, but I'm just not the typical brainy material that these institutes nurture. I've been an 80's scorer mostly, barely hitting 90's anywhere in my academic career.

Another problem is I've grown to love my job. No, not by learning the art of diplomatic ass-kissing and thus progressing up the corporate ladder, but by accidentally falling in love. From a shitty programmer incapable of writing code, to a good coder who plays with probabilistic primality testing algorithms and dabbles in functional programming with F#, I've become addicted. I never knew that a person with ordinary academic credentials could be good at computing. I wouldn't call myself an extraordinary programmer about to get hired by Google et al., but I think I can make it to Microsoft (if that's considered a feat for us averages) if I tried.
I also have an H1B visa, and an onsite opportunity coming up in about 2 months (confirmed).

Next, it's been 5 years. I am struggling to solve a simple integral, multivariate is a far off dream. I've forgotten the binomial expansion, and those swanky probability density functions aren't all that familiar either. I'll probably end up becoming a washout amidst the talent pool that's fresh with these concepts. Can you imagine a class full of IIT-ans charging ahead laughingly with these concepts because they know everything beforehand? And us lesser academic mortals trying to figure things out? It has happened to a few of my friends who have studied at IIMB.

Then the dreaded 2F grades. I'm not a flunko, but it's a scary thing for sure. I'd end up losing a massive chunk of cash, a year, and the respect of all people around me.

I've spoken too much. That means 5 years from now I'll laugh too much at this silly post of mine.
:)

Do share your thoughts.

(PS: Without being disrespectful, I'd prefer that people with an MBA/into an MBA reply, especially those who experienced a similar dilemma at some point.)
I look at my previous posts in these forums and have a good laugh. I used to post here back in 2006, when I was being traumatized as a fresher at Infosys. I wanted to quit and runaway back then.

5 years have passed. And 5 more years down the line I'll probably laugh harder at this post. I think the ridiculousness of things increases as we mature, and things that appeared extremely significant, working us up every now and then, turn out to be not so important after all.

The latest dilemma is a bit different though, and that's where you, the pagalguy audience come in. I know I can get some top notch advice here that I won't find elsewhere. So here goes:

I've got calls from all IIM's except Ahmedabad. Mr. Topper huh? Nopes, I'm a reserved candidate. So I really don't belong to the creme-de-la-creme general category crowd that makes it to these institutions. That doesn't mean I'm a complete moron, but I'm just not the typical brainy material that these institutes nurture. I've been an 80's scorer mostly, barely hitting 90's anywhere in my academic career.

Another problem is I've grown to love my job. No, not by learning the art of diplomatic ass-kissing and thus progressing up the corporate ladder, but by accidentally falling in love. From a shitty programmer incapable of writing code, to a good coder who plays with probabilistic primality testing algorithms and dabbles in functional programming with F#, I've become addicted. I never knew that a person with ordinary academic credentials could be good at computing. I wouldn't call myself an extraordinary programmer about to get hired by Google et al., but I think I can make it to Microsoft (if that's considered a feat for us averages) if I tried.
I also have an H1B visa, and an onsite opportunity coming up in about 2 months (confirmed).

Next, it's been 5 years. I am struggling to solve a simple integral, multivariate is a far off dream. I've forgotten the binomial expansion, and those swanky probability density functions aren't all that familiar either. I'll probably end up becoming a washout amidst the talent pool that's fresh with these concepts. Can you imagine a class full of IIT-ans charging ahead laughingly with these concepts because they know everything beforehand? And us lesser academic mortals trying to figure things out? It has happened to a few of my friends who have studied at IIMB.

Then the dreaded 2F grades. I'm not a flunko, but it's a scary thing for sure. I'd end up losing a massive chunk of cash, a year, and the respect of all people around me.

I've spoken too much. That means 5 years from now I'll laugh too much at this silly post of mine.

Do share your thoughts.

(PS: Without being disrespectful, I'd prefer that people with an MBA/into an MBA reply, especially those who experienced a similar dilemma at some point.)

i think you should join! its a lifetime opportunity if you will miss you will cry after 5 years.that you posted some thing and someone gave you right piece of advice at that time you were sleeping.

If you love your job, you would be an idiot to quit it right now after 5 years of experience and an H1B waiting. And if the MBA pull is so high why not do it in US itself after making some $$$. My 2 cents.

If i tell u,it all depends upon ur priorities and how u want ur life to be.If u could take it up as a challenge(joining an IIM) and do well there,i think thats the best thing u can do in ur life and after u have achieved it u ll be proud of urself.
On the other hand if u love ur job,its great..u r one of the lucky few who do so. But management education is nt only abt doing well in acads and landing up in a hefty paying job.Its more about a different experience,how do u deal wid real life problems,nt just cracking some mathematical problem....so decide,as u r the best judge for urself...

cheers and all the best...:cheerio:

Do share your thoughts.

Well at the onset, will say an interesting thread
BTW, me too an ex INFY Mainframer, joined in 2006 so would have been a 5 Yr work ex guy by now :lookround:

Ok, moving on to your question- a lot depends on
1) WHO you are- what motivates you, what challenges you, what describes you
2) WHAT you want to do- not just in the next 2-3 years but in a larger time frame of your career- say 15-20 years

You might be liking your job now- which is excellent since very few enjoy it in IT (especially with the black M/F screens, ask me abt it), but would you always be into pure tech kind of set up? or move to Project Management? or some techno-managerial kind of role? or Business Analyst? what is the next step apart from H1B and onsite (which again will sometime end- lets say a 2-3 yr stint in US)...what after that?

YOU are the in-charge for your Career- MBA or no MBA comes later on...chart out a goal, a destination in the broader horizon- something say 15-20 yrs down the line, and then decide

One thing I can tell you, now being at the fag end of my 2-year stint of MBA- a MBA education opens up your mind...the experience you have, the value u add, the knowledge you gain, the network you make and most importantly the 360 degree view-ability and perspective you get- helps you to evolve as a person, as a professional

Trust me, MBA education is much more fun and practice oriented and not that "academic" that "some IITians will laugh at you"...not at all, its not core core Mathematics, its more...else only engineers would be doing it...
Not many flunk in MBA...and you really don't need to be Einstein to pass it!

Believe in yourself, because if you don't...nobody else will:cheerio: