All about letters of recommendation

Hello, I’m kind of new to this website. Most of the jargon & acronyms being used are foreign (not to mention intimidating!) to me right now. I’m taking my GMAT on Nov 15 and planning to apply to 2-3 schools in India and a couple of schools…

Hello,

I'm kind of new to this website. Most of the jargon & acronyms being used are foreign (not to mention intimidating!) to me right now.
I'm taking my GMAT on Nov 15 and planning to apply to 2-3 schools in India and a couple of schools in Asia. Probably 1 in the US.
Since letter of recommendation is a longer lead time item, I want to start working on that on the side. Any ideas suggestions for whom I could get them from? (I mean, I know the basics...like don't ask your buddy to write it for you, don't write it yourself!, get someone who has worked with you to write it..etc.etc..) But then, can any one offer more insights?? My boss hates me (he'll actually be very jealous and petty when I tell him about my plans, and hence his recommendation will be of no value..it might even hurt my application). I could go to my ex-boss, but he's too busy..and is kind of too scatter-brained to come up with a good recommendation in time for my applications.
Any suggestions??

Appreciate your time!!

-Sid