AIM Manila SY 2009

Hi Puys, This thread is a discussion forum for all the AIM SY 2009 aspirants (Me being one of them). Let us share every piece of information right from application through final acceptance over here. The application forms are out (18th Sā€¦

Hi Puys,

This thread is a discussion forum for all the AIM SY 2009 aspirants (Me being one of them). Let us share every piece of information right from application through final acceptance over here.

The application forms are out (18th Sept). The deadline is 1st Dec. All you need to do is to follow the steps mentioned below. You need to send these required stuffs to the India rep office at mumbai.

1. Non-refundable Demand Draft of Rs. 2500/- payable in Mumbai in favour of "AIM Alumni Association (India)" .
Please state your full name, chosen program & for the MBA program also indicate chosen batch (May or September 2009) at the back of the draft.
2. Covering letter with complete mailing address ALONG with Pin Code, phone numbers ( Please specify Office, Residence, Mobile), e-mail ID, specify the chosen program & for the MBA program also indicate chosen batch (May or September 2009) and your choice of test centre for the AIM Admission Test (AIMAT). Locations of Test centre are Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, New Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore. ( AIMAT is waived for the applicants applying through valid GMAT score of 600+ not more than 2 years old & XAT scores with 96 % marks are also accepted).
3 Two copies of your passport-size photograph with your name and the program applied for mentioned on the reverse. In case of MBA applicants kindly also mention the batch i.e May or September 2009.
Please courier the above to
Damodar Udyawar
Admissions Co-ordinator
ASIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT - INDIA REP OFFICE
1116, MAKER CHAMBER V, 11TH FLOOR,
NARIMAN POINT, MUMBAI - 400021

Hey...
I am also a fellow aspirant for AIM...
A request Please mention you profile along your post....

Can any senior clear this doubt is Applying in May better or Sep? In terms of placements.. does it make a diff?
Also are the placements improving for the current batch or the current crisis takin a toll....?

My profile...
Work Ex- will be 4 years in May 09..
Worked as a IT guy talkin to clients, worked as a product designer, managed teams of 5 and the cliche work till 2 years(got promotion) then moved into Telecom Consultant role managing Business process and providing telecom solutions for the Customer.
Onsite: 1 year UK dealt with global teams(US,UK,Spanish, Dutch, Indians etc)
GMAT: 650/5.0 :unhappy: (i know its low due to personal issues can't retake atleast for this year)
Acads: Strong Undergrad GPA 3.75/4.0 12th: 88% 10th 85%
Strong Extra co curriculars in College and School/ Good co-cur in Professional life.
Will get strong Recos...

Will a low GMAT prove my downfall or can it be offsetted by other aspects of my application?

Hi trex08,

I dont think your GMAT score can in any way be a reason for not getting a call.though i am also an aspirant and dont know much about weightage of GMAT in the selection criteria at AIM, but i can be sure that with such a strong profile backed by great co/extra currics and high gpa, you need not worry. You have alot of stuff to project yourself.
My profile:
Xth --85
XII -- 69.66 (total disaster)
B.tech -- 7.26 (another set back)
from a top institute in Metallurgical engineering.
Co currics: average.
Extra currics: very good.served student council in XIIth and B.Tech. Organised and participated in quizzes,dramatics and cultural events in school and colleges and associated with some social service too.
work ex: will complete 3 yrs in may 09 as s/w engg in an indian IT mnc.working for one of the leading heavy engg/oil and gas based german client in supply chain domain.

Well, I dont have any GMAT score and i am not even writing it this year. will be totally dependent on AIMAT.

Man, even i am not aware of present placement scene overe there. but read in last year posts that its improving alot and ppl are getting multiple options in reputed companies. i have few friends over there and i will try to get some inputs from there.
I even got to know from the previous posts that may or sept intake doesnt make any diff esp on placement as there is no specific placement week as in indian b schools and it takes place throughout the year.

Hi Buddies,

I am also an AIMAT 09 aspirant. Presently working with Naukri.Com. I have around 3.5 years of working experience in marketing and business development. I am totally banking on AIMAT. I am not aware of what kind of test they are conducting.Could you please refer me books which can be of help in scoring well.

Looking forward to your advice.

@pankaj,

i recieved the application kit for the AIM yesterday. In the list of FAQs that they have sent, they have mentioned that AIMAT is test is patterned after GMAT and therefore all the section that appearing in gmat appear in aimat too.The only difference is that unlikr gmat,AIMAT is a paper based written test.
The test contains sentence correction(around 30 questions),critical reasoning(25-30),RC (30-35) and quant(38-40) followed by a 40 minutes essay writing. the test runs for 3 hr 20 minutes including a break of 10 min .(test-2 hr 10 min+reviewing time of 20 in+10 min break+essay-40 min+).
u check out the OG,Prinston and Kaplan etc for reference.I think going through each section from ny of the given book will be sufficient for aimat.
If anybody has appeared for aimat earlier,please share ur experience.....it will be of a great help šŸ˜ƒ

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply buddy. what kind of topics do they deal in essay writing? Are these essays related to Global events or what?

While checking AIM web site, i found while applying you need to send them reference letters from College and present company.
I think it will be a bit troublesome if i ask for reference letters from my employer.

I will really appreceate if more and more people come up to this thread.

hi!!

if u have already given gmat, would an online application form be available at AIMS website,

OR is the above source the only way of aplying to AIMS

Pls advise.

cheers!!!

Hi,

U need to carry atleat 600 in GMAT or 96% in XAT or else u need to take AIMAT.
In any of the cases u have to send a draft of Rs 2500 to AIM rep Office at Mumbai.

If if already have requisite score, u need not take AIMAT.

Hi,

I m also planning to apply to AIM-MBA Sept 09 Intake.
I have already taken GMAT.
Can any1 tell me the application procedure and the deadlines.?

Thanks

SG

@sgnsit,

I have posted a detailed procedure of requesting for the application form in the first post. please go through that post. The forms are out and the deadline is 1st dec 08. and also please share ur profle buddy . šŸ˜ƒ

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply buddy. what kind of topics do they deal in essay writing? Are these essays related to Global events or what?

While checking AIM web site, i found while applying you need to send them reference letters from College and present company.
I think it will be a bit troublesome if i ask for reference letters from my employer.

I will really appreceate if more and more people come up to this thread.

Hey pankaj, i too had such problem but it was in acad reco.Then Mr damodar asked me to furnish with 2 professional reco instead of 1 prof n 1 acad. But i cant say anything about ur situation.u better check it out with Mr Damodar and act accordingly.
and Regarding the essay in the AIMAT, i am yet to get these inputs from my friends who are studying there.will update shortly.

@ Death_Magnetic
Thanks.
I want to know the procedure for people who are applying with their GMAT Scores.
Is it the same as you have written in your post? Is there any Online Mode for applying to AIM? Also, when you say XAT..does that mean XAT 2009 scores or they considering last year's score as well?

My Profile :

GMAT - 710/ AWA-5.5
Work Ex : 26 Months as of now. in IT(Telecom)
B.E (Comp Science)- 79% with Hons. from Top Engg. Institute in India.
XII-88.8%
X-89.4%
Decent Extra Curriculars.

Thanks

SG

@ Death_Magnetic
Thanks.
I want to know the procedure for people who are applying with their GMAT Scores.
Is it the same as you have written in your post? Is there any Online Mode for applying to AIM? Also, when you say XAT..does that mean XAT 2009 scores or they considering last year's score as well?

My Profile :

GMAT - 710/ AWA-5.5
Work Ex : 26 Months as of now. in IT(Telecom)
B.E (Comp Science)- 79% with Hons. from Top Engg. Institute in India.
XII-88.8%
X-89.4%
Decent Extra Curriculars.

Thanks

SG

Thats the only procedure that applicants from India have to follow, its not possible online.
Man, i just read the application form docs checklist and they have mentioned tht the applicant needs to submit GMAT (not more than 3 years old) or XAT (96%tile +) else appear for AIMAT.so they are considering last year XAT too.
Thats the only procedure that applicants from India have to follow, its not possible online.
Man, i just read the application form docs checklist and they have mentioned tht the applicant needs to submit GMAT (not more than 3 years old) or XAT (96%tile +) else appear for AIMAT.so they are considering last year XAT too.

Hey,

GMAT(not more than 3 years old)...what does this mean..3 yrs at the time of application or at the time of joining?? Coz i took my GMAT last year..August 2007...

+ Where did you get this checklist from? I culdn't find anything of this sort at the website??

Hi Death_magnetic....can u pls give the link of Admissions for AIM

Hey,

GMAT(not more than 3 years old)...what does this mean..3 yrs at the time of application or at the time of joining?? Coz i took my GMAT last year..August 2007...

+ Where did you get this checklist from? I culdn't find anything of this sort at the website??

Hello to all aspirants,

I had given AIMAT last year and also given my GMAT.In terms of difficulty level of the AIMAT exam,let me assure you that it is no way near the GMAT/CAT so you can take little easier for the test. But the Speed will make the diffrence.Some of the points that I recall are:

1. The AIMAT test never had any time limits.You were free to utilize your time as you want.(This may change)
2. There were roughly 130 questions if i remeber correctly but there were 2-3 sets of paper
3. Maths/Quant was very easy but there were lot of RC's atlease in my set.
4. The admin. team at the test centre are Alumni and please ensure you take time out to have chat with them on AIM.

For people who find it difficult to write essays, it will be little tough. Although you have ample time to jot down your points but please ensure your views are precise and concise.There were 4 topics to chose from. 3 of the essay topics were:
1. Who is one of Business personalities you admire (or something of that sought)/What are the qualities that you llike about them. What are the things they have done that you think could have been diffrently and why

2. Some thing related to investment market in ASIA (Indoinesia,China,SIngapore....)Which market would you invest in and why.

3. Something related to traffic problem in MANILA,Phillipines.Can not recall exactly.....

For people who have Low GMAT scores and have IT background,I think the better option will be to sit for AIMAT exam.

What i heared is that you need to score 50% of the Total marks in AIMAT to get a call....(But i don't think that will be difficult to get)

Last year i think the nos of 360-400 students from India who had applied but this year the no will definately go up...

Best of luck to all for your Prep...

Mridul

@Mridul,

that was indeed very useful information for AIMAT aspirants. Thanks Alot.
One more thing, i m confused which intake to apply for. May or Sept?
The evaluation for the Sept will be taking place in May and the results will be out only by june 2nd week. so its difficult to rely on AIM and wait till june mid. The may intake will be having the evaluation running parallel to other indian B school process.so i guess may will be more convenient. But again one doubt arises. Is there any difference in the course between May and sept intake?whick one did u opt for last year?

@Mridul,

that was indeed very useful information for AIMAT aspirants. Thanks Alot.
One more thing, i m confused which intake to apply for. May or Sept?
The evaluation for the Sept will be taking place in May and the results will be out only by june 2nd week. so its difficult to rely on AIM and wait till june mid. The may intake will be having the evaluation running parallel to other indian B school process.so i guess may will be more convenient. But again one doubt arises. Is there any difference in the course between May and sept intake?whick one did u opt for last year?

Hello Death_Magnetic;

Last year,AIM had some alliance with XLRI based on which we had intake

1. For MAY: It was based on XAT score @96%.
Most of Indian students were not even aware but got calls from AIM even though they didn't fill the AIM form. (E-mailer was sent from AIM)
2. For Sept intake: It was on a global scale. You had students from all over the world.

If i had given XAT and got a call through for GD/PI, i would have still preferred Sept intake because of verstality in the batch. Moreover, you need to ensure that you develop lot of contact through networking during your MBA. People applying through AIMAT/GMAT had average exp of 2-20 years(Don't be surprised...on 2-20) so lot of scope for networking and lot of learning will be there in Sept intake...

For MAY,because the batch mix would have mostly students from India and with less exp doesn't really look that exciting proposition. However,some one from the current batch should throw some more light on this..

Good luck to all aspirants! šŸ˜