Age factor in MBA applications

I want to pick the brains of pagals here regarding the age factor in MBA admissions. I am 28 now and trying to find out schools that will admit older applicants like me. I am a Computer Engineer did my MS at Univ. of Maryland (GPA 4.0/4.0) a…

I want to pick the brains of pagals here regarding the age factor in MBA admissions. I am 28 now and trying to find out schools that will admit older applicants like me.

I am a Computer Engineer did my MS at Univ. of Maryland (GPA 4.0/4.0) and worked for Microsoft Seattle for 3.5 years before starting to live the startup dream. In 2008 I applied for a few schools (got waitlisted in Yale SOM, Georgetown before I stopped following up) and realized I needed to get business experience. I founded my own startup (with its own failures and successes) and now need an MBA to help me run my business better.

My needs are that the school should focus on entrepreneurship & marketing, 1 year preferable program as I have a family now, good name & networking scope (in India these matter and I'm planning to continue my business in India).

Based on these I want to apply to MIT sloan, Kellogg, Oxford, Yale SOM, Babson & INSEAD. Are these schools good for my requirements above and do I have some credible chance in getting into them?

Background:
GMAT: 720 and 6 in AWA (writing it again now as the score is 4 years old.)
Work Ex: 6 years
EC: Good
Academics: First class distinction in UG and university topper in PG.

My weaknesses are I have no background in business or consulting and my recommenders (my clients, business mentors) are no big shots.

Hi Startupguy,

I think you are not supposed to start a new thread -you can instead post on the "phoren b-school assistance" thread or ask -consultants threades or any other existing and relevant thread.

Anyhow, to answer your query :

At 6 years of work experience, your is a little more than the average of 5 years for most of the American b-schools you have mentioned, and sometimes they do get touchy about it. From this perspective, European programs like IMD, INSEAD and LBS (2 years) along with Cambridge may be a better bet for you.

Having a family should not constrain you from doing a two year program - infact if your family joins you on campus, it would be a great learning experience for it. As well, there are tons of Partner clubs at b-schools, exclusively for your partners, which your spouse can join.

Regarding your chances at the b-schools you have mentioned, your acads are in good shape, your GMAT score is good (and you need not take it if you are applying this year). The rest would depend on the application you put forth. i am sure that with the Microsoft experience and the startup, you would have many interesting inputs to feed the essays. If you can show good learnings at the start up, a clear plan to take it to the next level, and the need for an MBA in doing that, you should be good.

Namita at MBA Decoder

Is there any limit to apply for S P Jain Global MBA program.And can someone please tell me about its admission procedures?