Age Criterion For Applying To Bschools Abroad

Dear All, Right now i am 28 years old and planning to take mba after 3-4 years time from some good b school in india. I spoke to one of the career consultants about my chances of getting admission. To my surprise he replied that i might be on…

Dear All,

Right now i am 28 years old and planning to take mba after 3-4 years time from some good b school in india. I spoke to one of the career consultants about my chances of getting admission. To my surprise he replied that i might be on old side by the time i feel i m ready to apply for mba. Till date i was assuming that age would never be a problem for me, considering that i;ll have around 9-10 years of experience by the time i apply for mba.

However, the only problem which I think, I might face is regarding low scores in undergraduate degree. But i finished professional degree in cost accounting and now master degree from Australia. and I scored good marks in master degree.

I am planning to prepare for GMAT very rigorously and hoping to score 700+ in GMAT.

Now I would like to request all of you to give me your comments/suggestions/guidance regarding these issues.

thanks in advance

cheers...,

ashish

Dear All,

Right now i am 28 years old and planning to take mba after 3-4 years time from some good b school in india. I spoke to one of the career consultants about my chances of getting admission. To my surprise he replied that i might be on old side by the time i feel i m ready to apply for mba. Till date i was assuming that age would never be a problem for me, considering that i;ll have around 9-10 years of experience by the time i apply for mba.

However, the only problem which I think, I might face is regarding low scores in undergraduate degree. But i finished professional degree in cost accounting and now master degree from Australia. and I scored good marks in master degree.

I am planning to prepare for GMAT very rigorously and hoping to score 700+ in GMAT.

Now I would like to request all of you to give me your comments/suggestions/guidance regarding these issues.

thanks in advance

cheers...,

ashish

I really don't understand about these counsellors man...
They seem to give a lot of gyan that they have personally visited the universities, they have got people through to Stanford with just 2 years of work ex, they know how the universities think etc etc etc.

Have they ever taken the gmat, have they ever even applied to an ivy school, have they even ever studied at a b-school... no one knows. How do they gather knowledge, just like the way we do. How do they decide if you are fit for something or not. How would they know what angle of life do you want to project in your application. I sometime back read about an 80 year man who completed his MBA from Stanford and that was not too long ago abour 2 years back, i guess. In conversation with present students from top school I have deiscovered people in the age range of 40 - 60 doing thier MBA. Infact even at ISB there are people in the age range of above 30.

the question why people above 30 don't outnumber the people below 30 could simple be answered by the fact that after 30 one has a family and staying away from earning for over 2 years is a very tough call. Most people by the time they are 30 think they are already settled in life and now all they have is for thier family and not for themselves. That is why I say, people above 30 with the heart to apply to b-schools is what separates the men from the boys...

go ahead, if the counsellor says you will be too old by then, he probably is trying to make a quick buck now cause he is sure you will not come to him 3- 4 years down the line. It is for you to decide and for you have the focus. Plan your life and no one will have a say in it except for you. People will laugh now but the ultimate laugh will be yours...

As the master would say... may the force be with you.

Cheers!!!

Hey Ashish,

Funky Futurist has put forward several valid and relevants points in his post and I agree with him completely.

The question you should really ask yourself, and this sounds cliched, is "Why an MBA" and "Why an MBA after 3-4 years (or) now" ?

Your 28 now as you said. So I guess your pretty much settled down now in life and have finally figured out where your going and what you want to do. To reiterate what Funky futurist has said.. "There is no age limit" ! and I would rubbish off any one who said there was.

My advice to you is this. If you feel that an MBA now is not right for you, then dont do it. Wait for a few years and if you feel its the right time then do it!. You may just realize by then that you dont want an MBA degree!

The reason I advise you this is because studying abroad is a huge investment. Spending 80,000 USD - 100,000 USD is no big joke. So you shouldnt realise after your MBA that you really didnt want it or need it.

I hope this is of help to you. Do keep us all posted about your decision.

Take Care!

Warm Regards,

Roshan

dear roshan

it is really delighting to read ur replies to query by asheesh. Actually what asheesh asked that whether he will be able to do after three four years, is applicable on me now. I am in that age now.........and the biggest demotivating factor i was finding to start was this only.........that whether i'll have fair chance. Because as a general rule i was thinking that the right age to this is before 31-32. And I will be 32 soon and by the time admission time comes I'll be thirty three. And even if i am able to make it to one of the good b-schools i may find my self out of place over there. But your mail has really given me good boost. Thanx guys and keep up this blog live. It is really good.

munish

There is some truth to the fact that younger applicants are being looked at more than before, atleast at the top b-schools abroad. From what I've read, an age of 30 - 32+ ain't looking too good for a H/S . But then these are 2 of the world's most pickiest of schools . Wharton seems to be OK with the age being near 30 or so. But if you anywhere going to touch 30 or nearby and want to take a shot @ the top ones, I suggest you do.

Yes, at the end of the day its an individual decision, both for the applicant and the b-school, but its just that if you want to take a shot at H/S, don't wait for too long 😃

hi funkyfuturist/roshan,
guys i would like to say thanks to you for giving me feedback regarding my doubts. your replies were really inspiring and helpful.

what about u guys? are u planning to take gmat or have taken gmat and what abt mba? where ru planning to do mba from? where do u live guys? i m from delhi. is it possible to talk to them and share our career planning with each other? i think it;ll help us to get more feedback? am i right?

do u guys have ne ideas about any good career consultants in delhi?

you can contact me at

hope to make some good friends thru this forum!

thanks again...
bye...

Ashish

Edited By Oxymoron :
** No phone numbers or mail addresses. Use PM.
** Dont quote full posts if not adding value to your post.
** Click on the newbie link in my signature

you can contact me at

no personal infos please !

cattiee

Edited By Oxymoron: Have already edited it..and how does you quoting the same in your post help?:) double work for the mods...:)

hey pagal guy,

thanks for ur feedback. hey man do u have any ideas about duke, Carnegie Mellon, Kenan-Flagler? can u provide me some feedback about these schools?

I also welcome feed back from other members.

thanks again.

bye..
ashish

Hey Ashish / Munish,

Im glad that my reply served of some help for both of you. As for me, I plan on doing my MBA, not this year though. I dont think I'd really get the most out of the MBA degree if I do it now. It would be more benificial if I have experience. That way, I reckon, I could convert the theory into practicality with relative ease in comparison to a fresher. Maybe in a year or two I'll make up my mind. Nevertheless ive started preparing for the GMAT and CAT. Will write the exams when Ive fully prepared and that would most probably be around Nov 06'.

'Pagalguy' has a point when he says that the top b-schools are moving slowly toward the younger lot. This however does not mean that you guys dont stand a chance if you apply 3 - 4 years from now. If you've got a great and strong compelling answer for the question "WHY YOU WANT AN MBA NOW " ? Then I dont think it would be to difficult for you.

As days go by I do keep realising that experience is the name of the game in an Industry and you guys have experience on your side. So I guess its time for you to sit back and really make a decision.

All the best. Visit my profile on pagal guy to get my email address. Mail me anytime.

All The Best!

Regards,

Roshan

'Pagalguy' has a point when he says that the top b-schools are moving slowly toward the younger lot. This however does not mean that you guys dont stand a chance if you apply 3 - 4 years from now. If you've got a great and strong compelling answer for the question "WHY YOU WANT AN MBA NOW " ? Then I dont think it would be to difficult for you.

Well said 😃

Hi amehta1234,

I am taking the GMAT in Oct and apping for ISB.
Age 32, Work Ex 10+
One of my Friends is taking it in Sep. Almost same profile.

It has been alluded in a forum that the top grader in the present batch of ISB is a father of 2.

Dont feel lonely.
Give it your best shot.:2gunfire:

Bye

Parag

I am taking the GMAT in Oct and apping for ISB.
Age 32, Work Ex 10+

Hey parag I guess your post, even though short, served its purpose. Im sure Ashish/ Munish and all the other people with similar amount of experience will be motivated by your post.

Take Care.

Regards,

Roshan